Is Febreze toxic? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 05-21-2003, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My cat peed on my couch.

Everything was soaked: cushions, throw pillows, frame. It's a sofabed, so the sofabed mattress is soaked, too. Very stinky.

I sprayed it all with Febreze -- an old sample bottle we've had in the closet for years.

Well, I remembered hearing that when Febreze came out, its original formula was toxic to pets.

Is this true? If it is, what should I do now that I already sprayed it all over everything?

I guess I'll go out and get a bottle of Nature's Miracle. (I wish I could just go get a whole new couch!)

The cat is having emotional issues right now, obviously. That's a whole 'nother story!
#2 of 15 Old 05-23-2003, 02:29 AM

I know nothing about Febreeze, except that I do use it occassionally like you, that old bottle hanging around just seems like the only thing some days, especially when it comes to cat pee. I do remember hearing that the old formula was bad news to pets. Maybe you could try diluting the couch by spraying it with water?
We've had good luck with BioKleen's Bac-Out, but it doesn't come in a spray bottle so it is harder to apply to a large area.
Jeez-cats with emotional issues, w've got one too.
Good Luck!
#3 of 15 Old 05-23-2003, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ive had great luck with Natures MIracle.

I pour my bacout into a spray bottle and use it that way. It lasts so much longer! Its great on smells too. You might try a spray for skunk smell, as cat pee is stronger than anything! ITs usually available at pet stores. Baking soda is another good one to soak up smells. You could air the couch out outside and sprinkle the bsoda on, then vacuum later.
#4 of 15 Old 05-23-2003, 04:06 PM

You may want to rent a steam vac and clean your couch with it. With our peeing cat we have actually bought a steam vac because it's cheaper than renting one. It helps because you can run water through the couch then suck it all out and get it really dry.

We have to cover our couch with plastic shower curtains when we're not using it so the cat won't pee on it. Very attractive as you can imagine.

I second the vote for an enzymatic cleaning product like Nature's Miracle or Bacout. You really have to use something that will neutralize the odors.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#5 of 15 Old 05-23-2003, 04:10 PM

I have a 2 year old who loves to pee on couches and pillows (yuck)

we use bacout for the messes and that seems to neautrilize the odors. There is another brand I used to get in portland, ut I forget th e name and they don't sell it here? Febreeze smells worse then pee to me, so I wouldn't use it! Not sure about toxicity, though...
#6 of 15 Old 05-23-2003, 06:27 PM

I had a moment last night after I replied to this thread and I poured my Bac-Out into a spray bottle!
#7 of 15 Old 05-24-2003, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, mamas!

I got a bottle of a natural stain and odor remover (can't remember the brand name right now...) at the health food store. It has enzymes. I doused the couch and set the cushions outside to dry. I have high hopes for odor-free furniture by Memorial Day.
#8 of 15 Old 05-24-2003, 09:56 AM

dali..
:LOL
#9 of 15 Old 05-24-2003, 06:10 PM

there's no stopping me now. . .
#10 of 15 Old 05-25-2003, 12:34 PM

I have used Odormute from the pet store. It works well. I have also used it in my steam cleaner and it really did the trick. A little of it goes a long way. It has natural enzymes in it. I also have a small spray bottle that I keep some in in times of accidents or attitude problems from my cats. Good stuff to use.
#11 of 15 Old 05-26-2003, 01:24 AM

Back to the original post, evidently Febreze is not toxic to animals.

The ASPCA approves it as safe:

http://www.aspca.org/site/News2?page...rticle&id=8352

From snopes, debunking the rumor:

http://www.snopes.com/toxins/febreze.htm

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#12 of 15 Old 11-21-2008, 01:16 AM

There have been multiple instances of dogs and birds who have died or became very ill after being exposed to Febreze, a deodorizer/air freshener. Febreze contains zinc chloride, which is very dangerous for animals.Please do not use Febreze anywhere near your pets! If you have used it near your pets or on their bedding, clean the bedding/area thoroughly to remove the Febreze, and move the animals away from the area.Febreze: This product is marketed as something that removes odors without covering them up. However, there is a strong smell to it, but worse than that, Febreze contains zinc chloride. Many birds have already been killed after this product was used in any proximity to them whatsoever, and some dogs have also died. Other dogs have become ill without dying.Please pass this information on to other pet owners/caretakers,before more animals are injured or killed, and find a safer method of odor control.
#13 of 15 Old 02-03-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starling View Post
My cat peed on my couch.

Everything was soaked: cushions, throw pillows, frame. It's a sofabed, so the sofabed mattress is soaked, too. Very stinky.

I sprayed it all with Febreze -- an old sample bottle we've had in the closet for years.

Well, I remembered hearing that when Febreze came out, its original formula was toxic to pets.

Is this true? If it is, what should I do now that I already sprayed it all over everything?

I guess I'll go out and get a bottle of Nature's Miracle. (I wish I could just go get a whole new couch!)

The cat is having emotional issues right now, obviously. That's a whole 'nother story!
So what you do if your cat will peed again on your cushion. My suggest is first you solve your cat emotional issues than thought about any other thing.
#14 of 15 Old 02-03-2009, 11:09 AM

If your cat is peeing a lot, consider a UTI as a possibility. We nearly threw our cat outdoors permenantly because he peed on everything, and didn't know about the UTI thing. We did eventually take him to the vet, and we worked out the UTI (it involved feeding him better food as well as a course of antibiotics).

We had only hand-me-down furniture that had been in some guy's basement since the '79's and honestly we threw it out it. It's been a couple of years and we still have no furniture (no sofa, no chairs) but have actually come to like it (but that's besides the point!)

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#15 of 15 Old 02-08-2009, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Moving this thread to pets.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page