I'm going to look at these 2 today - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 03-08-2007, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just looking... : They are rescues, but they aren't in foster homes and that's usually a requirement of mine. They are about halfway and at the bottom of the page. One is Hanna and one is Blizzard. What do you think?

http://www.tulsapets.com/maindog.htm
#2 of 14 Old 03-08-2007, 04:16 PM

Aw...Blizzard is a CUTIE.
#3 of 14 Old 03-08-2007, 04:26 PM

I think it is a really good thing that Blizzard is halfway across the country or I would be in major trouble with DH b That is one cute little dog. I adored my poodle growing up but DH likes big dogs. A labradoodle would be perfect but I am restraining myself until I have more time to dedicate to the pooch I already have.

Ann
#4 of 14 Old 03-08-2007, 04:30 PM

They are both cuties! I wonder what happened to poor Hanna's eye?! Poor baby!
#5 of 14 Old 03-08-2007, 05:01 PM

Awww. I have a special place in my heart for one eyed dogs. Brooke has only one eye
Good luck "just looking"

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#6 of 14 Old 03-08-2007, 05:51 PM

Oh Blizzard is a cutie!!

I had to cut myself off from ever browsing Petfinder again. Hubby says we're done adding pets and every time I look I find one that melts my heart!

Natalie, mama to Katherine (5/22/10), missing Devin (stillborn 3/6/08)
#7 of 14 Old 03-09-2007, 12:06 AM

I agree that Blizzard is adorable, but I'd advise you to get the other one (if you get one). You've wanted a small dog, low exercise. Blizzard will be neither.
#8 of 14 Old 03-09-2007, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter

Well, we didn't get to go see them today. My son got sick and amazed me by taking a voluntary nap. (He's better now.)

There's been this nagging feeling in the back of my mind today that I should stick with rescue groups and not go with shelters. You just have so much more information when the dogs are fostered with families. But on the other hand, we found our dog Raven at the SPCA and she is a wonderful, tolerant, well-behaved dog. I think with our special situation (my son has an autism spectrum disorder) it's essential to know as much as possible about a dog's history and temperament.

It's so fun to look and consider though, isn't it?
#9 of 14 Old 03-09-2007, 11:03 AM
Banned

I couldn't find the dogs on that page apart from at the bottom...?

Are you still going for a pug?
#10 of 14 Old 03-09-2007, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

I tried the link and at the bottom it says "Next 25"--they are on the next page.

Well, a pug is certainly on my short list. But I spend a long time looking for a dog now (I learned early on that choosing the wrong dog can cause a lot of heartache--see post #16 in this thread.)

So it may take several months or a year for us to find the right dog for our family. I try to research as much as I can and also just spend a lot of time meeting new dogs. When I get that itch for a new dog, but we aren't sure we're ready to adopt one, I foster for the rescue group I volunteer with. That gets my new dog excitement out of the way and I'm usually relieved when they go to their new homes (it's quiet for a while and our shoes and rugs are safe from dog teeth again...) Fostering is how I learned that I prefer adult dogs to puppies!
#11 of 14 Old 03-10-2007, 09:01 AM

You really sound like you are serious about pet ownership and responsibility- that is awesome!
Good luck to you in finding an animal that will work well with your family.
#12 of 14 Old 03-10-2007, 09:52 AM
Banned

oh ok cool Pugs were on my list too but I think they are too small now. They sound like a great affectionate breed good with kids. It's really hard to decide which size, and narrow it down to just one breed.

I like the idea of fostering to get the experience, I want to do it in that sense. But there are drawbacks so im not too sure.
#13 of 14 Old 03-10-2007, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Remember that if you foster and fall in love with your foster dog and it's a good match, you can adopt the dog! Fostering doesn't necessarily mean falling in love with a dog only to have it taken away and never seen again.

Other benefits to fostering are that vet bills and sometimes food and flea stuff is paid for by the rescue group while you are fostering. Also, if the foster dog situation doesn't work for any reason, a good rescue group will take the dog back and find a better suited foster home.

You get to experience dog ownership without having to take on full responsibility forever for that animal (unless you decide to adopt the foster dog.) There are even puppies to foster, although my experience is that fostering puppies is ALOT more work than fostering adult dogs. If you're set on a puppy, why not foster one? You'll gain experience and know better what type of dog will work for your family.

Also, know that you don't have to narrow it down to one breed. Mixed breed dogs can be great!
#14 of 14 Old 03-10-2007, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potty Diva View Post
You really sound like you are serious about pet ownership and responsibility- that is awesome!
Good luck to you in finding an animal that will work well with your family.
: Awww, thanks! Our dog Raven is wonderful. It took me several months to find her, and she was definitely worth the wait! We've had her for 4 years. Now we're considering a second dog.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page