Point me to a few breeds for our family? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-10-2007, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just wrote about the situation we had with our cocker spaniel puppy. I've learned so much in the short amount of time between bringing the puppy home and now. One major lesson I've learned is different breeds fit with different families. Another huge lesson is quality and careful breeding (and selective choosing) equals a happy dog that fits into the family... the breeding conditions (very bad) I got my puppy from equalled big temperament issues (and who knows health-wise).

Now my task is to figure out what breed DOES go well with our family. We don't plan to get another dog for a few months to a year (maybe two, if I could stand that). We're in the transitioning from toddler to preschooler phase, so a young puppy is more than I could handle, I believe.

I know for sure, though, when I get a dog these are some of the activities and qualities I would like him/her to possess. I would be content with either a rescue dog (adult) or a puppy from a reputable breeder. First and foremost, very gentle and great with kids of all ages, loves to be active (hiking, jogging, camping, park playing, etc.), is quiet at home when it's time, but playful when we're all ready to play (so a calm-tempered breed who enjoys activity), has the potential to be "good" off-leash (since we will be going camping/hiking), is a breed that enjoys travelling, and for sure it will be an indoor pet (with outside priviledges of course).

I know that training is what produces a dog like that (which, of course, I will do), but I would like a breed that has a temperament already leaning toward those characteristics.

Anyone care to give suggestions? I want to really research this so that when we're ready, I have every basis covered. I'm not interested in this previous puppy experience happening again!:

Oh, I've considered Golden Retrievers, Labrador Retrievers, Beagles, Bernese Moutain Dogs (and other gentle giants), and similar. I don't care if the dog is smaller or largeish (though I have no interest in toy breeds).

Thanks so much!!
Sarah

Sarah, wife to dh, mama to dd 1/07/03 and ds 3/30/05
#2 of 6 Old 03-10-2007, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godusjourney View Post
I know for sure, though, when I get a dog these are some of the activities and qualities I would like him/her to possess. I would be content with either a rescue dog (adult) or a puppy from a reputable breeder. First and foremost, very gentle and great with kids of all ages, loves to be active (hiking, jogging, camping, park playing, etc.), is quiet at home when it's time, but playful when we're all ready to play (so a calm-tempered breed who enjoys activity), has the potential to be "good" off-leash (since we will be going camping/hiking), is a breed that enjoys travelling, and for sure it will be an indoor pet (with outside priviledges of course).
I think the biggest thing in your list that seems "breed dependent" is the potential to be good off leash. That is definitely one of my desires, and it seems that there are a lot of breeds (especially hunting breeds, herding breeds, spaniels, etc) that have major chase instincts.
Was it your thread that I posted the two dog breed sites that I like a lot? I beleive that www.yourpurebredpuppy.com tells which dogs probably can't be trusted off leash.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#3 of 6 Old 03-10-2007, 09:41 PM

I have an article on my website. Click either link and then "articles." It's long, but it has specific breed recommendations there.
#4 of 6 Old 03-10-2007, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Two words....

Standard

Poodle

at least for us. Beagles were not recommended when I asked the same question before we got Max

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
#5 of 6 Old 03-10-2007, 09:49 PM

I have read and seen that beagles tend to be runners (if they catch a scent or see something to chase, especially), and they don't tend to be great at coming when they are called.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#6 of 6 Old 03-10-2007, 10:15 PM
crl

I posted a similar thread not too long ago--although we have a few additional wrinkles here. This discussion might be helpful for you.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=623016

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page