Outdoor cats to indoor cats?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-27-2007, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone ever decided to make an outdoor cat an indoor cat?

I adopted two kittens from my neighbor. They are now 8 months old and have been going outside, which I am regretting. I found tape worms on one of them so the other one probably has them too and I don't want to deal with worms, fleas, etc. I'm also worried about them getting in fights with other cats (there seem to be a lot of outside cats in our neighborhood), getting hit by a car, etc. My mom pointed out that I could avoid all of this if I just kept the cats inside. Now why didn't I think of that??

They haven't been going out all that much but I also seem to have adopted their mother, who was a stray. She also had worms. I'm taking her to the vet on Friday for a check up and rabies shot, etc. Although then I'm going to try and find a new home for her. She's been outside her whole life and I don't think she would adapt to being inside and I don't want her bringing stuff in. Plus honestly, I never wanted three cats and this probably sounds mean but I just don't really like her. She's not friendly at all and doesn't seem to like me either. Wish me luck in finding her a new home.

Do you think I'll be able to switch the kittens to being indoor-only cats? I'm hoping since they are only 8 months old it might be easier.

Also, I was reading something about tape worms being associated with fleas. I'm going to ask the vet about it on Friday but does this mean the cats and my house has fleas?? I haven't seen any fleas and no one has gotten flea bites but maybe I'm just being too hopeful??

Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2007, 01:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
PLEASE DO make them indoor only! It is the safest and most responsible thing you can do!

We had an older male outdoor cat start hanging around our old house. We put a coller on him that said "If I am yours, please call XXX-XXXX" After a few weeks passed, we figured he didn't have a home. He hurt his leg and we took him to the vet. He has been an inddor cat since. For the first 6 months or so, he would try (and sometime succed) at getting out. Now, he couldn't really care less.

Good luck, and you are great to take in the Mom to make her safe too!

User Tag List