Fun activities for kids and animals? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-10-2007, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son is a nature guy who loves animals and I'd like to get him involved in something fun. Some ideas I've had are volunteering on a farm or at an animal shelter, and showing an animal. What exactly is agility and can kids do it with their pets? Any other ideas appropriate for a 7 year old?

Book-lovin', relaxed homeschoolin', dog snugglin' mom of the best kid EVER!  AND...waiting for baby #2, due 5/9/14!  stork-boy.gif

#2 of 7 Old 04-10-2007, 12:08 PM

If you have a local zoo, check it out and consider a membership. We have one that works in over 180 zoo's (if we were to travel). But there are *tons* of kids programs.

If you have a dog, have your child tae a course in dog obedience, so he knows how to handle a dog then agility is something he can get into (its essentialyl an obsticle course for dogs to run through, but the handler must run around it with them and give clear commands as far as where to go, what to do, etc.)

Riding lessons are another option. Look into your local metropark if you have one, they may have kid-centered things going on with animals.

Oh, look into 4-H! A wealth of opportunities await you there.
#3 of 7 Old 04-10-2007, 02:17 PM

I think obedience and agility would be fun for your DS. What kind of dog do you have?

Jenn, perpetually tired mom to DS(9): DD(4.5): DD(2) :
#4 of 7 Old 04-10-2007, 03:23 PM

4H is really big here in my town. We just had our county fair and there were lots of kids around your sons age showing goats, rabbits, lambs, calves, and more! you may also look into agility and training clubs your 4h may have, here we have one group of kids that does raise smaller animals (guinea pigs, rats, hamsters, etc) and one group that does agility and obedience with their dogs. you might also look into boy scouts or something similar, i'm sure they would have lots of outdoors/nature badges he could get doing things he enjoys and wants to learn about.

momma to 8 yr old ddjoy.gif.  Furmom to our menagerie:   2dog2.gif , 1cat.gif, 2 goldfish.gif,  2 hamster.jpg,  and 1 silly rabbit. 

#5 of 7 Old 04-10-2007, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Well, we have a zoo membership and my son is a cub scout, so we've got those covered! Here's our dog Raven. She's lab and border collie from what we can tell. She's 5. Is there an age limit for starting agility?

Book-lovin', relaxed homeschoolin', dog snugglin' mom of the best kid EVER!  AND...waiting for baby #2, due 5/9/14!  stork-boy.gif

#6 of 7 Old 04-10-2007, 05:14 PM

No, 5 would be a great age for agility. Just start her out easy, with lower jumps and she should do well. We havent started a beginner class yet, we are just working on homemade jumps in the yard. I hope to start a class soon. Any dogs can do agility, but with her being part bc, she should be a natural.

Jenn, perpetually tired mom to DS(9): DD(4.5): DD(2) :
#7 of 7 Old 04-10-2007, 05:34 PM

there are a couple of junior handlers running their dogs at one of my agility classes. one is around 12yrs and the other around 8yrs. they are so cute to watch!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page