Anyone use Petzlife Oral Care Products? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-24-2007, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wanted to check and see if anyone has used these products...what is your experience?

We have found a new vet and he has really cheap dentals, but honestly my girl is old enough that I would rather not use anesthesia if possible.

Does it work as well as they say it does?

http://www.petzlife.com/index.html

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 04-24-2007, 01:06 PM

the people on the idog forums swear by it.

nak

Jenn, perpetually tired mom to DS(9): DD(4.5): DD(2) :
#3 of 12 Old 04-24-2007, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BensMom View Post
the people on the idog forums swear by it.

nak
Anyone use it on cats?

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#4 of 12 Old 04-24-2007, 05:42 PM

Not nakking so I can answer better.

Not sure, but the one person who posted the rave thread that I read uses it on a small dog (mini poodle I think) so I cant imagine it would work that differently on small carnivore teeth, right?

I am intrigued by it myself. Daisy is getting nice clean teeth from her raw diet, but the cats are not eating enough bone yet to do any good for their teeth.

Jenn, perpetually tired mom to DS(9): DD(4.5): DD(2) :
#5 of 12 Old 04-25-2007, 12:49 AM

I asked about this on my cat who is 9 yo thread . . .I'd seen it advertised in Veggie Times.

I ordered it and tried it once so far. They recommend taking before and after pics-- HAHAHAHA! There is no way in the world that my cat would sit for that with his mouth held open. I even optimistically ordered a toothbrush . . .no way. I would like to think that if I'd started him as a kitten with this (though I was not his owner then, it was just DH) it would be better, but I know I couldn't do it on the kitten we have now.

Anyway, they say to just put it on their paws and they will lick it off. That is a lot to lick off (for a cat it is 1/3 teaspoon of the gel). I did that, and he started to drool/foam up. It was really weird. I don't know if it was pure saliva or the stuff actually working. It must have felt odd for my cat though. If you get the spray kind I think you can put it in water. The gel kind can also be used in peanut butter (for dogs).

So, in my long, round-about-way, my point is that I will not know if actually works because (a) it is so hard to even look into my cat's mouth and (b) it is so hard to get the product on his teeth.

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#6 of 12 Old 04-25-2007, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

So, you got the gel. I am thinking about getting the spray. I think though it would take two people to do it. I would have to hold kitty's mouth open (she's good about that so I think she'd tolerate it) and DH would have to spray in.

She's such a lazy old girl I don't even know if she'd bother grooming it off her paws.

#7 of 12 Old 04-25-2007, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatchristy View Post
So, you got the gel. I am thinking about getting the spray. I think though it would take two people to do it. I would have to hold kitty's mouth open (she's good about that so I think she'd tolerate it) and DH would have to spray in.

She's such a lazy old girl I don't even know if she'd bother grooming it off her paws.
I got the gel because they said since most cats are trained with spray (to stop them from doing something) it might freak them out. I don't use spray but I figured it might freak him out anyway.

I think if your cat would tolerate her mouth being open then the spray would be perfect. I'd love to see before and after pics for your cat!

#8 of 12 Old 04-25-2007, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizelenius View Post
I got the gel because they said since most cats are trained with spray (to stop them from doing something) it might freak them out. I don't use spray but I figured it might freak him out anyway.

I think if your cat would tolerate her mouth being open then the spray would be perfect. I'd love to see before and after pics for your cat!
I could try my best....LOL...I'll definitely be the one holding the mouth open. DH not into handling cats.

I'll have to add buying this to my list of 100 other things to do... .

#9 of 12 Old 04-25-2007, 06:11 PM

Quote:
I could try my best....LOL...I'll definitely be the one holding the mouth open. DH not into handling cats. .

Quote:
I'll have to add buying this to my list of 100 other things to do...
On the plus side, it comes really fast!

#10 of 12 Old 04-25-2007, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizelenius View Post

On the plus side, it comes really fast!

There's a plus!

I just hope after going through all of this it works ! And, I guarantee I'll be able to tell if it works because she will let me check her mouth (even if it is only for a couple of seconds which makes me think DH and I are going to really have to get the timing right!).

#11 of 12 Old 04-25-2007, 11:44 PM

Quote:
And, I guarantee I'll be able to tell if it works because she will let me check her mouth (even if it is only for a couple of seconds which makes me think DH and I are going to really have to get the timing right!).
Great!!!

#12 of 12 Old 05-19-2007, 09:04 PM

I am bumping this thread because I just ordered the petzlife gel and spray to use on my 11ish year old dog. I saw the post about it here and then did a little more research on it and found that greyhound owners swear by it. ( A lot of greyhounds come from the tracks with bad teeth). So, I decided to give it a try.

I'll post an update after I've been using it for a while. On the plus side, Jake will let me get in his mouth to spread the stuff on and to see how it is working because he is fairly used to having his teeth brushed and sprayed. He's not a huge fan of the process but knows it is futile to refuse.

I hope it works! I'm excited to get started. His teeth aren't horrible - he's not in any pain or anything but there is definite staining and plaque build-up that needs to go.

Me , 36 year old RN and future AP mom in training . I am wife to one wonderful husband and "mom" to one great rescue pup :.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page