OMG- My dog just ATE a squirrel! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 05-28-2007, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My golden/chow mix just caught a squirrel inside our screened area and ate it!

He's never done this before. Will he get sick? Surely he won't be able to digest a SQUIRREL will he?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 05-28-2007, 12:01 PM

Man that must have been gross.

I'd be worried about rabies. Is it common in squirrels in your area?
#3 of 21 Old 05-28-2007, 12:03 PM

I think it's fine. Yep, they can digest squirrels. That's what they were made to do, kill and eat.

Disturbing for us, to be sure! But probably a good morning's work to your doggie.
#4 of 21 Old 05-28-2007, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

No - I don't think that's a concern but geesh! I can see him catching it and taking it outside but EATING it? Bleck!
#5 of 21 Old 05-28-2007, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismama View Post
I think it's fine. Yep, they can digest squirrels. That's what they were made to do, kill and eat.

Disturbing for us, to be sure! But probably a good morning's work to your doggie.
I was proud of him for catching it.
#6 of 21 Old 05-28-2007, 01:41 PM

Our cat killed a squirrel once. She brought it to the door, all proud and full of herself. She's pretty badass!

We have the plague in the squirrel population here so we're all being very careful. Dogs don't tend to get very sick from the plague though.
#7 of 21 Old 05-28-2007, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

UPDATE:
Well, my 11 yr. old boy is very proud of himself.

He brought the squirrel back inside by the pool and laid it down by his bed.

Good boy!
#8 of 21 Old 05-28-2007, 04:36 PM

Ack, our 11 year old greyhound caught one the other day! what is it with these older dogs lately? :
#9 of 21 Old 05-28-2007, 05:13 PM

My Swissy caught a squirrel once and all we saw of it was the fluffy tail sticking out of his mouth as we ran up shouting, "Nooooooo!" and then it was gone! After that I had to always wipe the windowsills clean of his drooling as he watched the squirrels play outside

Married to my wonderful DH; Mama to DS born 6-07 and 4 in heaven brokenheart.gif1-06 (7 weeks) brokenheart.gif1-10 (6 weeks) and our twins 5-11, brokenheart.gifone sweet boy (17 weeks) and brokenheart.gifone precious baby girl (18 1/2 weeks).

In the middle of our adoption journey and are excitedly waiting to get matched with a birth mom

#10 of 21 Old 05-28-2007, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobica View Post
Ack, our 11 year old greyhound caught one the other day! what is it with these older dogs lately? :
I dunno, but I do know that our dog is mighty proud today.

I really think he was trying to protect the girls. The girls were out there w/him and they were laughing thinking it was pretty funny. Then he cornered it and I swooped the girls inside so we didn't have to watch the rest.
#11 of 21 Old 05-28-2007, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstandlee View Post
My Swissy caught a squirrel once and all we saw of it was the fluffy tail sticking out of his mouth as we ran up shouting, "Nooooooo!" and then it was gone! After that I had to always wipe the windowsills clean of his drooling as he watched the squirrels play outside
Oh no!
#12 of 21 Old 05-28-2007, 08:45 PM

My dogs have only eaten one squirrel this week. Seriously! Just watch for any signs of stomach upset. He must have been so proud!
#13 of 21 Old 05-28-2007, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Fresh squirrel

Seriously, it's fresh, raw, wild-caught meat- isn't that GOOD for cats and dogs?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#14 of 21 Old 05-28-2007, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
Fresh squirrel

Seriously, it's fresh, raw, wild-caught meat- isn't that GOOD for cats and dogs?
Gotta be!
#15 of 21 Old 05-28-2007, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookishVonLiberal View Post
Man that must have been gross.

I'd be worried about rabies. Is it common in squirrels in your area?
Rabies should not be a concern unless your dog has never been vaccinated or you have some reason to believe that rabid squirrels are rampant in your area. Rabies in squirrels is very very very rare (there was a link in a previous thread just recently regarding this info).

YUM YUM...fresh squirrel. My guys were all going nuts in the backyard yesterday ~ 4 squirrels were running around the top of our privacy fence and driving them nuts! I think they just taunt them because they know they have short little legs and cannot jump very high

Wife to DH (06/09/01), Mother to DS coolshine.gif (04/10/06) saynovax.gif and rescuer of dachshunds ~ and joy.gifthat our rainbow1284.gif arrived (06/10/11) safe and sound. Love cd.gif our little one ~ and lactivist.gif

#16 of 21 Old 05-28-2007, 10:30 PM

My beagle-dachshund once ate a mouse, unbeknownst to us. We could not figure out why she was sick so we brought her to the vet and EGAD! There were mouse bones in her belly. She eventually passed them... I do know that certain breeds have the ability to digest these things.

Kerri, mom to Doran  angel2.gif  (born still 7/6/05 at 33 weeks), Mairaed (11/16/07),  angel1.gif 11/15/08 at 10 weeks,  Kieran (11/2/09).   angel1.gif 1/11/11 at 15 weeks
#17 of 21 Old 05-28-2007, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokidoki View Post
Rabies should not be a concern unless your dog has never been vaccinated or you have some reason to believe that rabid squirrels are rampant in your area. Rabies in squirrels is very very very rare (there was a link in a previous thread just recently regarding this info).
Good to know. Thank you. I must have gotten muddled after reading about the squirrels with plague and trying to find rabies info for my area.
#18 of 21 Old 05-29-2007, 12:13 AM

If the squirrel had fleas, you might want to deworm for tapeworms (fleas carry these in their gut), but otherwise, squirrels themselves are perfectly fine for dogs to eat - saw one of mine eat a squirrel just this morning! You may notice a "furry poop" (like a coyote dropping) next time you pick up...

: : SAHM to : (5/06), : (7/07) Plus : & a few
#19 of 21 Old 05-29-2007, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokidoki View Post
YUM YUM...fresh squirrel. My guys were all going nuts in the backyard yesterday ~ 4 squirrels were running around the top of our privacy fence and driving them nuts! I think they just taunt them because they know they have short little legs and cannot jump very high
They DO taunt them!! My mom has a squirrel that LOVES to torment her yorkie and maltese girls!! It will literally lay on top of the fence and hang it's leg over the side! The girls go nuts! And if they are on the porch, the squirrel will run down the fence and into the middle of the yard until they give chase and then run back up the fence and turn around and chatter at them! It is the funniest thing I have ever seen.

The pooch should be fine. Raw is GOOD for them!!
#20 of 21 Old 05-29-2007, 02:51 AM

My dogs love to chase squirells but our squirrels are too fast. We live by a big river and if it is very high we get rats up here for a few weeks. The dogs LOVE to catch rats and we love it too. My oldest dog was taught by the dog I had when she was a pup and her learned it from an arctic wolf pup six months older than him. The wolf and her person puppysat him while I was at work.

Am I allowed to tell a cat story?

One morning I woke up and went in to the bathroom to run a bath and in the bottom of the tub was a small red stain, a fluffy squirrel tail and four paws. I had a sponge bath that morning.
#21 of 21 Old 05-29-2007, 03:12 AM

I remember when m dad's dog caught a field mouse and ate it right in front of me. I can still hear the bones crunching....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page