Our puppy ate a disposable diaper! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-09-2007, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lucy (14ish weeks) ate some of the stuffing out of a disposable diaper. I talked to our vet who recommended keeping a close eye on her and bring her in at the first sign of anything "off". He said there are two concerns - obstruction and toxicity of the material.

I feel like such a putz. I put dd in the tub and got her washed up, not even thinking about the diaper on the floor. Normally I take off her diaper and put it directly in the trash but she took it off this time and I just wasn't thinking. When I went to pick up her clothes to put them in the hamper I noticed it was gone....and found Lucy with it in her bed.

Has this happened to any of you? What did you do? Was the dog OK? I'm really worried!
#2 of 6 Old 06-09-2007, 12:22 AM

Our dog eats parts of poopy diapers any time we leave for the day and forget to put the garbage up.

Shes fine, haven't seen anything to be worried about.

Getting 6 people out the door with everything that needs to go with us causes us to forget at times to put the garbage in a safe spot. My 5 yo tries to remember but at times she closes the door of a room but forgets to put the garbage behind it
#3 of 6 Old 06-09-2007, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmmBnB View Post
Lucy (14ish weeks) ate some of the stuffing out of a disposable diaper. I talked to our vet who recommended keeping a close eye on her and bring her in at the first sign of anything "off". He said there are two concerns - obstruction and toxicity of the material.

I feel like such a putz. I put dd in the tub and got her washed up, not even thinking about the diaper on the floor. Normally I take off her diaper and put it directly in the trash but she took it off this time and I just wasn't thinking. When I went to pick up her clothes to put them in the hamper I noticed it was gone....and found Lucy with it in her bed.

Has this happened to any of you? What did you do? Was the dog OK? I'm really worried!
Don't feel like a putz...same things has happened in our house. Most recently the other night when DH was bathing DS and Gus got it off the counter in the bathroom (dachshunds have short legs but long determination). He is fine...came out the other end looking odd but he is fine. One other night DH accidentally left 2 of our dogs in the nursery along with their favorite treat...a trashcan full of diapers. They were everywhere about the nursery floor half eaten...but both dogs were just fine! If the material were toxic I would think for certain mine would have reached toxicity at that point in time with as much as they consumed!

Wife to DH (06/09/01), Mother to DS coolshine.gif (04/10/06) saynovax.gif and rescuer of dachshunds ~ and joy.gifthat our rainbow1284.gif arrived (06/10/11) safe and sound. Love cd.gif our little one ~ and lactivist.gif

#4 of 6 Old 06-09-2007, 12:30 AM

Before we discovered CDing our dog would get into the trash and eat sposies all the time, he is fine. Never got sick, never had any issues. In fact he's even managed to swallow a CD whole! How that dumb dog is still alive sometimes.

Atara wife to Joseph mom to Kaleb and Jacob : Caeden Ashlyn : and our angel baby ,:,
#5 of 6 Old 06-09-2007, 01:34 AM

We've had this happen too. On the rare occasion that Ds is wearing a pull up he sometimes decides to just take it off. When I don't see it happen it's a sure bet that the pup will scarf it. : The first two times she puked it up and the last time it went all the way thru. I found red washcloth go thru her the other day and we don't even own any red washcloths! :
#6 of 6 Old 06-09-2007, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much to all of you for your btdt words of comfort She is fine this morning although I've not seen her poop yet and she typically does a few times in the morning. The back door has been open though so I'll bet if I combed around her spot in back I'd find the mornings deposit. I was so sure I'd done something that would make her very sick, or worse.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page