Yet another neighbor problem!! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 162 Old 06-11-2007, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There may not be laws stating that a cat must remain indoors. However, there are many towns that have laws stating that any pet must be leashed when it is off your property. Cats, dogs, pigs, goats - it doesn't matter. They are not allowed to wander freely to others' property. Many homeowners don't make a big deal of it when a pet wanders onto their property, but they are within their right to have it removed if they desire.

I sympathize with the fact that you love your cats and truly believe they cause no harm. But, the thing is, this is THEIR property. They have the right to decide whether or not an animal owned by you comes onto their property. They don't need a reason, but I'll present some scenarios as to why they may not want a cat around:

1) Perhaps they have a dog. A dog that does stay on their property. A dog that chases cats. Maybe they don't want to have to deal with their dog getting all worked up and chasing and potentially harming your cat.

2) Maybe they have a cat. Again, one that does stay on their property. Perhaps they don't want their cat playing with strange cats when they don't know what diseases that cat may be carrying.

3) Or maybe they have a kid. A kid who has severe asthma/allergies and is fascinated by your cute cats. When kid goes outside and sees your cute cat, that is all he wants to play with and throws fits when mom or dad don't allow it.

4) They could be birders. Your cat on their property limits the numbers of birds they can attract to their property.

5) Maybe they used to live in a neighborhood with lots of outdoor cats. Maybe those cats pooped in their kids' sandbox, pooped in their veggie garden, sprayed urine on their front porch, or scratched the hood of their car.

Again, you say that your cats don't do any of those things. Your cat will simply run away if dog/cat/kid approaches them and your cat would never dare to poop in any other place than your yard. But, they can't know that. And, frankly, unless you are watching your cat every minute it is outside, you really can't either.

Yes, if they were more "neighborly" they might first try to figure out who owned the cats and talk to you and ask you to keep them off of their property before they attempt trapping. But, they are not required to. I know this sucks for you. You were in a happy situation where your cats could be free to go next door if they so chose. And, I sympathize. But, new neighbors mean new limitations for you and your cats.

Me , 36 year old RN and future AP mom in training . I am wife to one wonderful husband and "mom" to one great rescue pup :.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 162 Old 06-11-2007, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justthatgirl View Post
Thank you. I have never lived anywhere that required a CAT to be kept indoors or on any kind of leash.

I have.
#63 of 162 Old 06-11-2007, 12:55 PM

Talk to them! Watch for them and go have a chat! Tell them about the rats!
#64 of 162 Old 06-11-2007, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaWindmill View Post
I totally understand what you're saying and how you feel about this, but the neighbors don't have to have a good reason to not want your cats in their yard. They just don't want them there, period. My mother-in-law is terrified of cats; I would hate to think a neighbor of hers would act huffy about keeping their cats out of her yard simply because THEY couldn't see the problem. I know you love your cats, but it's their property, and unless you want your cats put in jeopardy, you'll have to come up with a solution - but, frankly, acting as though they have no right to expect your animals to stay off their property isn't it.
It isn't even that, I can't understand why it is so difficult for 1 to warn me, and IF they can't figure out that the cats that usually are laying in my yard and hanging around me and my daughter are not ours, then why can't they just yell at the cat to get it out of their yard?
I have had a cat that came here, seemed to be a stray, if you don't feed em, and/or if you let them know they aren't welcome (agressive things like yelling and scaring the cat away) They don't come back.

I guess I don't comprehend the extremes that people expect their property to be "THEIRS" and have no outside interruptions on their property from neighbors??? Extremely territorial!!

skyastara
A CAT isn't a GOAT that eats every plant and various other things or leaping on cars causing dents.
A goat is MUCH heavier and taller than cats, even big ones, my cats are at most 12 lbs...... They aren't BIG, just fluffy.
Not a COW that makes HUGE cow patties.
Not a DOG that will cause big painful bites, cats don't typically attack when you go "Hey cat get out of here!!!!!!" maybe with broom in hand for extra authority if the cat doesn't respond to yelling.
If a cat attacks w/out being physically handled, then they will need more then a little inconspicuous cage... I seriously doubt a rabid cat would just waltz right into it... only a cat that lives nearby and is curious... honestly I would be amazed if either of them willingly went into that cage even out of curiosity!

I now see that many people have different views of what it means to own property and live close to other people, I had some delusional idea that when humans live close to other humans, we should expect some of the activities and things that occur next door to sometimes run over to the neighbors' yards, to ME it seems irrational to not expect that, I have put up with some inconveiniences from neighbors, dogs that get loose that have acted as though they would attack me, I let them know they really needed to get better leashes for the dogs b/c the dogs act like they would attack me or worse, my dd, several other things....
I now realize it is black and white for many people.... I have a hard time understanding "black and white" type people in general, I always stay in the gray.
AND I will definitely make my goal to get the heck out of here, but it will be impossible for a minimum of 3 years.
#65 of 162 Old 06-11-2007, 06:44 PM

Moving this to Pets.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#66 of 162 Old 06-11-2007, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post
Responsible pet owners do not allow their pets to enter other's property at will. A responsible pet owner has his pet in his control at all times, and if the pet gets out by accident, that pet is wearing a collar with marked tags.

If untagged animals are creating a nuisance on another person's property and the pet owner has not made them identifiable as pets, the person has a right to trap them.

FWIW, I'm an animal lover.
This. My cat wouldn't wear a clollar though. He did have a tattoo, of course, so he coudl still be indetnified by any vet, or Animal Shelter.

Quote:
I find that totally bizarre. HOW do you keep a cat from wandering?
Keep it indoors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imogen View Post
We have quite a few cats that roam across our back garden. I love it, and it's never bothered me. There's even one that adores love, strokes and affection and will curl up in delight at being petted. *S* on the other hand hates cats and has bought a cat repellent thing that makes a strange sound which deters them from coming into the garden... he hasn't put it up yet thank goodness.

I suppose this thread depends upon personal perspective, as naturally it would

I think that it is thoughtless that they wouldn't have the decency to speak to the OP first about their intentions.

It makes me feel uncomfortable that actions are made to 'contain' cats... animals which love to go the outdoors and roam free. I love cats though, so maybe I'm biased.

Peace

Ok, I know this thread is about cats, but it also raises the issue of ownership, control and dominion of nature, space and private property. It's an essay from Yakrider.com
http://www.yakrider.com/Poetry_n_Ess...he_machine.htm
Um, I love cats too. Very much. And unless you live on a farm or something, with no close neighbours, it's better for cats to be indoors.

Quote:
Oh, no, I do keep them indoors. But when I was young my cats were always outside. (My mother has this issue w/ inside pets. ) Of course, we did live in the country, not in an apartment (like now) or close proximity to our neighbors.
Same here. We had no close neighbours. It wasn't the safest for the cats, but they were happier and NOT annoying anyone! I sitll think farm cats are different somehow. I would NOT get a barn cat for a p[et in the city.

Now, me personally, I'd not be liekly to trap neighbourhood cats. I LOVE cats. Our shelter is no kill, so yeah, if I didn't know the family, or thought the cat was neglected, I'd catch them to take to the shelter. (that;s if they were really bothering me. If not, I wouldn't bother, as long as they seemed to be fed & cared for)

If you have outdoor cats, one of the risks is the neighbours could catch them & take them to a shelter. That's better than stuff that happened to my former landlord's cats. One ended up with a broken jaw from someone kicking it. Another one got hit by a car. Another one got in many fights. He always had scratches & sores. it was awful.
#67 of 162 Old 06-11-2007, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrayn View Post
It isn't even that, I can't understand why it is so difficult for 1 to warn me, and IF they can't figure out that the cats that usually are laying in my yard and hanging around me and my daughter are not ours, then why can't they just yell at the cat to get it out of their yard?
I have had a cat that came here, seemed to be a stray, if you don't feed em, and/or if you let them know they aren't welcome (agressive things like yelling and scaring the cat away) They don't come back.
That's not always true...everytime the cats come into my yard I scare them away, at yet they are back almost every single day. And I certainly don't feed them.

Regardless of any of that...it's NOT my responsibility to make sure the neighbours cats stay out of my yard...it's THEIR responsibility. I honestly don't understand the idea that your neighbours should just suck it up and deal with YOUR cats on THEIR property.
#68 of 162 Old 06-11-2007, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emzachsmama View Post
That's not always true...everytime the cats come into my yard I scare them away, at yet they are back almost every single day. And I certainly don't feed them.

Regardless of any of that...it's NOT my responsibility to make sure the neighbours cats stay out of my yard...it's THEIR responsibility. I honestly don't understand the idea that your neighbours should just suck it up and deal with YOUR cats on THEIR property.
They are not there all the time.... rarely I catch him over there. There is no way that they see him over there more then me, not sure if you followed my posts but they are RARELY home. When they are home, they are in the house, they DON'T go outside.
How do I know this, I ALMOST never leave my house, I am outside all the time, and since people moved into that house, I have kept my eye on my cats and checked to make sure that the one that did go over there, doesn't anymore, I haven't caught him over there but one time, no one was home, he was in a "mood" and as I got closer, he took off into the canal area.
I am even more observant since I noticed cages.
#69 of 162 Old 06-11-2007, 07:30 PM

Our county ordinances too, as others have mentioned, also required pets to be leashed (including cats) when off property and on common areas (sidewalks, etc.). In fact, they have also increased fines substantially in the last few years for owners of animals found roaming free outdoors who are not neutered/vaccinated.

There are many reasons why animals should not be allowed to roam freely outdoors. I'd go through them all, but I figure others in this thread have already touched upon many of them. Your animals are at increased risk of injury, disease and death.

Our neighbor's cat was hit by a car, on the street a few doors down. The cat was in agony, it was not a pretty sight. We tried to keep the cat calm. One of the neighbors tried to shade it, and poured some water on it (the pavement was baking in the summer heat of FL...it was awful). Finally animal control came...we were saddened to hear that the cat would have to stay alive (it was seriously injured) and would have to wait until she returned to her station in around 6 hours (ack) to be euthanized. We see dead cats too frequently around here by the side of the road.

The neighbor doesn't mark her cats...no collars or tags, or microchips. She doesn't want to pay the fines if her cat gets picked up. She's also had litters at her house.

Sure, some cats are less destructive than others outside, but many of us have experienced dead birds and cat feces in the yard. I have my yard fenced as well, and they still do get in!!!

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#70 of 162 Old 06-11-2007, 08:13 PM

jrayn - any possibility you could keep your cats indoors at night time?

I remember when I was trapping the neighborhood feral cats at my old house (to spay and release them) and I had traps set out. No cats ever went in the traps during the day, I'd catch them only at night (and that included a few neighbor's cats that wandered into the traps, as well as my own - but it ONLY occurred at night.) The cats just tended not to go anywhere near the traps during daylight hours.
#71 of 162 Old 06-11-2007, 08:51 PM

My goats are very well fed and have never eaten any of my plants. Nor have they ever leaped on a car.

This does not mean that I can decide that my goats can be in your yard.

Yes, goats are different from cats, in size among other aspects. However, I really feel that the point is the same. How about my chickens? Can they come to your house? They weigh less than a cat and certainly present no danger to anyone.

Obviously the cats have been there more than once if the neighbors are trying to trap them. It is also obvious that they don't want your cats there.

You keep qualifying this, as if you have the right to decide how much intrusion is too much for someone else. You don't have that right. Period. If you won't bother to keep your own animals out of their yard, why in the world should they have to be bothered to chase said animals away?

Yes, I am very territorial. I don't want someone else's life overlapping into mine, unless it is invited. I live on acreage at the end of a long road, specifically so that I don't have to deal with people who think that I should have to put up with their choices.
#72 of 162 Old 06-11-2007, 08:53 PM

You said that it is unfair because they didn't talk to you before they got the traps.
If they had talked to you and told you they hated cats and don't want cats in their yard, what would you have done?
#73 of 162 Old 06-11-2007, 10:00 PM

Agree with PP...the reason why we have our own houses and yards is so *we* can decide what happens there. We live on a 25-foot-wide suburban lot, where privacy is at a premium, and our neighbors "overspill" a LOT...recently, their outdoor cats tore up a section of our flower garden next to the sidewalk for their litter box. When I walk my dog, she then tries to grab and eat it (:Puke). How am I supposed to know that these cats (and their poop) are parasite-free, healthy, etc? I clean my own indoor cat's litter box; don't I have the right not to clean up her stuff, too? </rant> It's just inconsiderate, and I think that it's hard for outdoor cat owners to recognize this, since cats often seem to do their business on others' property.

Maybe these neighbors are allergic or afraid. Maybe they have pet rats that are getting killed by the cats. Maybe...maybe it's their property and the reason for not wanting cats in it doesn't matter. If jrayn's cats really do never/rarely leave their yard, the traps should not be a concern, right...?

It sounds like everyone in this situation should have been more communicative, but this is what happens when people live close to one another.
#74 of 162 Old 06-11-2007, 10:21 PM

I had to weigh in as I have an indoor/outdoor cat. He has to be outdoor partially as he has literally done things that have almost killed him (while I was away...and he was locked indoors). He usually does not stray from my yard as he is 12 years old...but in his day he did. When we first moved in, his sister Bonnie was one of the reasons they were allowed outdoors. She chewed thru a dryer vent cord and got stuck in the dryer vent. Closed the laundry room door only to have her literally chew thru screen in windows to get out. Bonnie was trapped by a neighbor (who was trying to trap some strays on our area) and that neighbor didn't know Bonnie was owned. A year after our search for her (which was extensive) I found out the neighbor had done the trapping and had likely trapped Bonnie. I have tried unsuccessfully to get her back...if she was trapped, she was taken to a feral community in VA. I do not necessarily hold my neighbor responsible except to say she should have posted to our neighborhood that she was trapping cats (she has a cat herself that is allowed out).

For those who own cats ~ they are different creatures than dogs are. My dogs are content to sit on the sofa and go for walks and run in the backyard. My cat is not content to do so and would truly die if he were not allowed outdoors...of depression.

We have lived here long enough now that everyone knows and loves Clyde. My neighbors even comment about how much they love watching him sit in our yard and almost have the wildlife climb on his head because he would no sooner exert energy to catch them then he would to run a marathon...he has food that is endless and has no reason to catch his own.

To the OP ~ I hope you can perhaps discuss things with your new neighbors and concrete plans to make things work. I would highly recommend collars but also microchips. See what the rules are with regard to your township and your HOA...and see what you can do to make accomodations to keep your cats in your yard. Does anyone know ~ can you use electric fences on cats? I truly have no idea...but maybe that is one solution to keeping them in your yard.

At least if they have collars and/or microchips you know that they are indentified.

Wife to DH (06/09/01), Mother to DS coolshine.gif (04/10/06) saynovax.gif and rescuer of dachshunds ~ and joy.gifthat our rainbow1284.gif arrived (06/10/11) safe and sound. Love cd.gif our little one ~ and lactivist.gif

#75 of 162 Old 06-11-2007, 11:45 PM

Quote:
They are not there all the time.... rarely I catch him over there. There is no way that they see him over there more then me, not sure if you followed my posts but they are RARELY home. When they are home, they are in the house, they DON'T go outside.
How do I know this, I ALMOST never leave my house, I am outside all the time, and since people moved into that house, I have kept my eye on my cats and checked to make sure that the one that did go over there, doesn't anymore, I haven't caught him over there but one time, no one was home, he was in a "mood" and as I got closer, he took off into the canal area.
I am even more observant since I noticed cages.
I think it's great that you are watching your cats carefully and I truly hope they don't get caught in the trap. If they are rarely out of your yard then chances are slim they will be. My point was simply that I don't think the neighbours have done anything wrong and are within their rights to not want animals on their property for whatever reason...so if there are cats going on their property (and maybe it is other neighbourhood cats they are concerned about) they have the right to set up the traps if they wish.

It really sucks that there is a chance that your pets could be trapped but unfortunately that's one of the chances you must take when you have an outdoor cat.
#76 of 162 Old 06-12-2007, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatchristy View Post
There are many reasons why animals should not be allowed to roam freely outdoors. I'd go through them all, but I figure others in this thread have already touched upon many of them. Your animals are at increased risk of injury, disease and death.
This street has very few cars, so few that kids play basket ball and football games on the street. The only people that drive on this road are those that either live here or visit. I rarely see the cats on the road or anywhere across the street so combined with the lack of traffic, I am taking the risk that they will not be hit by a car - the other option is dp gets hospitalized a few times a year from asthma reactions to cat hair/dander and the self inflicted hair removal that one of my cats does when forced indoors AND the other cat acts like he is insane when stuck indoors, his personality changes for the worse, they are miserable inside

Quote:
any possibility you could keep your cats indoors at night time?
I wish I could at least do that, but I am afraid it will put dp back in the hospital - not common but a couple times a year plus the regular asthma attacks it creates, where now he rarely even needs the inhaler, as long as the cats are not inside.

skyastara- I would love it if my neighbors had chickens even if it meant that they had chickens invading the yard, the problem would be keeping dd in the yard if they had chickens
If a goat from the neighbor went into my yard I also wouldn't make a fuss over it, I would figure out how to return it to the neighbors, it would take a few minutes out of my life at most. IF the goat ate one of my plants that I have raised from seed and have grown for a few years, I would totally flip though, and beg for a fence for the goat.
Quote:
You keep qualifying this, as if you have the right to decide how much intrusion is too much for someone else. You don't have that right. Period. If you won't bother to keep your own animals out of their yard, why in the world should they have to be bothered to chase said animals away?

Yes, I am very territorial. I don't want someone else's life overlapping into mine, unless it is invited. I live on acreage at the end of a long road, specifically so that I don't have to deal with people who think that I should have to put up with their choices.
Territorial people should really do as you did if at all possible, b/c it is absolutely impossible for people living a few feet away from each other to not have some type of overlapping life.
I am not deciding how much intrusion someone would allow, it is inevitable when you live this close to someone else, when they mow their yard, they aren't sure where the property line is so my yard gets mowed, the prev owners always went way over and even have mowed down some baby trees that I had just planted... they mowed all the time and with the heat and lack of rain, it looked really bad with sand spots and brown grass and weed stumps... but oh well that is what happens when you live close to other people...
I am scared of dogs, I don't really like many dogs, but not long ago both neighbors had unfriendly dogs and one neighbor had dogs that got loose on a regular basis, not nice dogs, there are just more friendly/civil ways to deal with people - If someone's tree leaves are blowing into my yard and it annoys me for whatever reason, some people are really touchy about having perfect yards or whatever, is it reasonable to chop the tree down or speak with the person to find out a solution?
Now as long as these people live there, this will be something that will keep us from being friendly neighbors, I will hold a grudge if when I do speak to them they are unwilling to compromise somehow, b/c they didn't even warn me with a note or anything.
In short, it isn't nice to live close to people and expect no interference and do malicious things to them/their things b/c they did interfere.

Quote:
You said that it is unfair because they didn't talk to you before they got the traps.
If they had talked to you and told you they hated cats and don't want cats in their yard, what would you have done
I would have explained my financial situation and dp's health problems for starters, plus their age, they probably will not live very many more years
Which is what I will explain when I get the courage to confrount. If there is no compromising, I would probably have to take them to my grandma's house, she doesn't live very close to people, they have lived there a couple times when I lived places where they either discovered how to get out and there was a traffic issue outside and when we realized they were the cause of dp's asthma problems.
She has been adopted by this cat though and I am not sure how that cat will react to new cats and I am hoping he is not mean to them if they end up there, he doesn't let anyone touch him but he lives there and it is obvious he has mites in his ears baaad, I would hate for my boys to get mites b/c of this cat... It would be very sad to have to lose them like that again though
#77 of 162 Old 06-12-2007, 12:42 AM
Dar

We have one cat, who is almost 15 and stays indoors, happily (and 10 really isn't old for a cat, at least for an indoor cat - most indoor cats will live to 15 or more). Our neighbor on the left has two cats, who sometimes come outside to her porch but mostly stay inside. Our neighbor on the right has at least 3 cats, who go in and out.They scare the birds who come to our feeder - and we put out the feeder because we like to look at birds. They leave dirty pawprints on my windshiel, and one our porch funriture. They dig in our garden. They usually don't go into our garbage, but recently we had mice (apparently my cat has decided she's too old to be a mouser now - she used to be great at it) and we had to throw away a lot of food, and the cats were in the garbage can every day until trash day, making a mess (and it wasn't overflowing - it was barely half full).

We also have a really cute nest of baby bunnies in our yard. So far the cats don't seem to have noticed it, but I'm worri about the possibility.

That said... my neighbor is old and was recently widowed and loves her cats, and we are willing to put up with her cats because she is a neighbor, and we do want to get along with our neighbors. It is my choice, though. I choose not to draw the line there with her, and it's unfortunate that your neighbors have made a different choice, but I do think it's unreasonable to expect everyone to be understanding of your infringement on their property.

dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#78 of 162 Old 06-12-2007, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokidoki View Post
To the OP ~ I hope you can perhaps discuss things with your new neighbors and concrete plans to make things work. I would highly recommend collars but also microchips. See what the rules are with regard to your township and your HOA...and see what you can do to make accomodations to keep your cats in your yard. Does anyone know ~ can you use electric fences on cats? I truly have no idea...but maybe that is one solution to keeping them in your yard.

At least if they have collars and/or microchips you know that they are indentified.
WE do not have Home Owners Association here, this is just a lower middle class neighborhood. According to the animal control guy that was checking the cage, if they aren't on a leash, they can be captured if they aren't on my property.

I will be getting collars for them, I am hoping if they are captured before I can figure out the best thing to do, that I would get a phone call once they were captured.

I would get a fence if I could afford one - not electric, that would be dangerous for my dd, but maybe a tall wooden one or wire with overhang that goes towards my property, but there is no way, I am pregnant with nothing for this baby, no clothes or anything, our old car died, we had to get another one so dp could get to work reliably, we couldn't afford that but had no choice, we just can't squeeze anything else out right now, I have thought about it for days, I had family help me attempt to fix the old car, I had family help to get this car, I have squeezed my resources dry.

Quote:
We have one cat, who is almost 15 and stays indoors, happily (and 10 really isn't old for a cat, at least for an indoor cat - most indoor cats will live to 15 or more).
One cat was born in 1995 so he will be 13 next year (sniffles) and the other was born 1999 so he is a bit younger, but he has a cataract, I am not as worried about him being caught as the older one, the older one is the grumpy loner that likes to go away sometimes.
Like I have said, my cats don't destroy property, plants, it would be very obvious at my house - garbage absolutely never - they are very picky eaters, it is unheard of for them to eat anything but... Meow mix and one of them likes tuna juice.. that is all. I have garbage cans with no lids (someone stole them) They have sat untouched.

But I guess according to some, it is reasonable to not put up with other people's spill overs. So if they spill over on my property at all, from now on I will also contact whichever authority needs to be contacted w/out speaking to them ever, apparently most people think it is reasonable to do so. :
#79 of 162 Old 06-12-2007, 01:57 AM

Quote:

So if they spill over on my property at all, from now on I will also contact whichever authority needs to be contacted w/out speaking to them ever, apparently most people think it is reasonable to do so. :

Actually, no, most people here have said that your neighbors should have talked to you first. They have said that it would have been nice and neighborly to talk to you first. They have said that, if they were your neighbor, they would have either not minded your cats on their property or, if they did mind, they would come and talk to you about it to try to find a compromise. But, you seem to be missing those parts of the posts because you don't like that these posters also said that, at the end of the day, it is your neighbor's right to not have your cats on their property.

Most of us agree with you that the cat issue could have been handled in a better way. What we don't agree with is your basic premise that your neighbors should allow your cat on their property just because you want them to. I am not downplaying your situation. It does suck that you have an asthmatic husband and cats that go crazy when indoors. But, perhaps your neighbors have an equally serious reason to not want cats on their property. And, since it is their property, their reasons/wants/desires come first.

I hope you are able to talk to your neighbors and settle this. Perhaps you will be able to convince them that your cats are harmless, great rat-catchers, and that you are always watching them. I would also suggest reassuring them that, if they give your cats a chance now, you would be happy to reevaluate the situation if they do later find your cat to be a nuisance. Maybe all they need is to be reassured that these cats do have responsible owners who they can turn to IF there are issues. I hope you are able to come to a compromise that works for all. Good luck!

Me , 36 year old RN and future AP mom in training . I am wife to one wonderful husband and "mom" to one great rescue pup :.
#80 of 162 Old 06-12-2007, 02:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My aunt has a dd with asthma. She puts her cat in a carrier on the back porch at night and lets it out first thing in the morning.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#81 of 162 Old 06-12-2007, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondiapers View Post
My aunt has a dd with asthma. She puts her cat in a carrier on the back porch at night and lets it out first thing in the morning.
If my cats survived a night of that, I am sure someone in the neighborhood would call the police for cat torture and I would lack any sleep from crying the entire night!!!
#82 of 162 Old 06-12-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:
I would get a fence if I could afford one - not electric, that would be dangerous for my dd, but maybe a tall wooden one or wire with overhang that goes towards my property, but there is no way, I am pregnant with nothing for this baby, no clothes or anything, our old car died, we had to get another one so dp could get to work reliably, we couldn't afford that but had no choice, we just can't squeeze anything else out right now, I have thought about it for days, I had family help me attempt to fix the old car, I had family help to get this car, I have squeezed my resources dry.
I think you are misunderstanding the kind of fence I am talking about ~ I am talking about the kind that buried in the ground and used with a collar on the pet. I do not know if they can be used on cats or not...that is my question. I am not talking about the electric fences often used on farms and such...yes, that would be dangerous to put in a neighborhood home...but an electric fence that is radio activated is what I am referring to.

Wife to DH (06/09/01), Mother to DS coolshine.gif (04/10/06) saynovax.gif and rescuer of dachshunds ~ and joy.gifthat our rainbow1284.gif arrived (06/10/11) safe and sound. Love cd.gif our little one ~ and lactivist.gif

#83 of 162 Old 06-12-2007, 12:40 PM

Your lucky all they are doing is setting traps. Around here I know neighbors that let their dogs loose on stray cats and the dogs are expert cat killers... Then there are the ones that will shoot stray cats or the ones that trap the cats and drive them far away and dump them on the side of the road. My ex BF's father who used to collect and fix classic corvettes. He got tired of cats scratching the cars and spraying them, his weapon of choice was shurikens.

If you know the neighbors have traps stop complaining and be more proactive about your cats safety. If you dont want them trapped and have who knows what happen to them once they are, keep them indoors or rehome them.
#84 of 162 Old 06-13-2007, 01:28 AM

you keep talking about your neighbors coming and talking to YOU about the trapping but from all of your posts it sounds like you have yet to go talk to THEM. You keep going on and on about how great your cats are, but do your neighbors know this? GO OVER THERE AND TALK TO THEM

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
#85 of 162 Old 06-13-2007, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy5386 View Post
GO OVER THERE AND TALK TO THEM
:

Not to mention there is always the possibility that they are trying to trap a cat that is not even yours, but one that only comes around at night that you don't see (it's impossible to watch their property and your cats 24/7) and rips up their trash or something. Or, they may think they are homeless cats and doing a community service for everyone. You never really know why they are doing it until you actually go over there and have a nice friendly conversation. Go over there with a big smile and say "Hi, I see you are new to the neighborhood", introduce yourselves, and say "Oh yeah, I was wondering if my cats have been bothering you at all?" then "If so, I would like to resolve this in a mannor that would be beneficial to all parties involved." If they turn out to be nasty neighbors with an attitude, remain polite and calm. Maintain your composure, and politely excuse yourself from the conversation if it get really ugly. Bring up the rat problem, because the cats keeping the population under control is helping everyone. In fact, it could be the rats that are damaging their property, but they see the cats and think it is them. Please, for the sake of your cats, stop stressing out and go over there and speak to them before things get out of hand.
#86 of 162 Old 06-13-2007, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamber View Post
Not to mention there is always the possibility that they are trying to trap a cat that is not even yours, but one that only comes around at night that you don't see (it's impossible to watch their property and your cats 24/7) and rips up their trash or something. Or, they may think they are homeless cats and doing a community service for everyone. You never really know why they are doing it until you actually go over there and have a nice friendly conversation. Go over there with a big smile and say "Hi, I see you are new to the neighborhood", introduce yourselves, and say "Oh yeah, I was wondering if my cats have been bothering you at all?" then "If so, I would like to resolve this in a mannor that would be beneficial to all parties involved." If they turn out to be nasty neighbors with an attitude, remain polite and calm. Maintain your composure, and politely excuse yourself from the conversation if it get really ugly. Bring up the rat problem, because the cats keeping the population under control is helping everyone. In fact, it could be the rats that are damaging their property, but they see the cats and think it is them. Please, for the sake of your cats, stop stressing out and go over there and speak to them before things get out of hand.
#87 of 162 Old 06-13-2007, 03:05 PM

unfortunatly we're responsible for our own animals. Even if they are outside... which is really a good reason they SHOULDN'T be outside unattended.

I'm sorry about the asthma and stuff, but many people do live w/ their animals and do have allergies and asthma. perscription medicine is a marvelous thing for those who have CHOSEN to share their lives w/ animals with these afflictions!

It may be a hard transition for the cats... but they'll get use to it. Besides, they're your cats like your kids are your kids... so I'm sure you'll make appropriate family decisions!

Good luck... also, I've never met a cat that could be kept in w/ a fence!!
#88 of 162 Old 06-13-2007, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gealach View Post
But, you seem to be missing those parts of the posts because you don't like that these posters also said that, at the end of the day, it is your neighbor's right to not have your cats on their property.
:

Jrayn posted looking for advice, and that is what people are giving. I believe that she is missing the point of what a lot of people are saying because she is concentrating only on rebutting PPs, rather than dealing with the situation with her neighbors, where it may actually make a difference.

IMO you are arguing with the wrong people. Some people think differently from you, yes, we've established that. This unfortunately includes your neighbors, so deal with it and go talk to them. It's probably best not to accuse them of being "territorial," btw. Good luck.
#89 of 162 Old 06-13-2007, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edamommy View Post
Good luck... also, I've never met a cat that could be kept in w/ a fence!!
There is a special fence designed to keep cats in. It looks like a regular high privacy fence with an angle in at the top. I have friends that fenced in their backyard with this type of fencing to allow the cats out but keep them isolated to their yard. It has worked for all but a few (they have about 15 cats). It is expensive fencing...and since they are rich it works well for them. OT ~ they also have a cat barn that is heated/cooled and fully furnished with sofas and such that they can lounge around on!

#90 of 162 Old 06-13-2007, 06:54 PM

Quote:
I realize that in some cases an animal SHOULD be contained, particularly potentially dangerous ones, but if these cats need to be contained we may as well start containing the squirrels or birds b/c they cause more damage then the cats - bird poop, squirrels eating fruiting grapes, Japanese plums, chew on certain outdoor furniture.... scare the begesus out of me when they hop from tree to my roof and back!!!
I can try and try to make this place "my home" but I really wish I could get out of the suburbs... makes me think of that "little boxes" song. BLECH
: Right on, jrayn. It looks like you and I are the only ones who think it's ridiculous to get all bent out of shape because the neighbor's cat crosses your yard.

Lighten up, people, they're just little cats. Mine is only 10 pounds. She does not damage property or destroy people's gardens. I have a vegetable garden, and she is allowed to roam around it as she wishes. She causes no harm to the plants. She sits in the shade and snoozes, perhaps she occasionally climbs a tree or chases a chipmunk. She is very well fed and a very picky eater, and she is not interested in your garbage or plants. Those must be stray, homeless cats that would eat such things.

She is a friendly, sweet cat, who is well-loved (not to mention fervently adored), and I would hope that you would merely shoo her gently off your property or call me (she wears a tag) if she is bothering you.

She cannot be kept exclusively inside (although she stays inside overnight) simply because it makes her absolutely miserable and crazy. She will cry endlessly ALL DAY LONG. I don't think it's fair to cats to keep them always inside. What kind of life is that? It's depressing and cruel, like keeping a bird in a cage (which makes me : that so many people do that).

Cats are not dogs. They don't pose the same dangers, and I think it's unreasonable to expect cats to be kept confined the way dogs are.

What is the big deal with little critters in your yard? What about the countless bugs, squirrels, birds, rodents, woodchucks, skunks, raccoons, foxes, etc., not to mention all the homeless cats out there. Are you going to pitch a fit if you can't control every square inch of your property and keep all of mother nature's creatures off your perfect lawn?

Having neighbors means putting up with minor annoyances. I don't like when my neighbors mow their lawn and trim their bushes because it's loud and polluting, and there are ways of completing such tasks without burning fossil fuels. I don't like listening to their late-night parties. I don't like it when they decide to cook out and fill my house with the smell of burning lighter fluid. But that's part of the package deal of having neighbors. We just have to be tolerant of each other.

Not to mention that some neighbors have gone out of their way to tell me how much they love when my cat goes to visit them!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page