Yet another neighbor problem!! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 162 Old 06-14-2007, 02:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrayn View Post
Thank you for the advice, I am very shy and not sure how to address them about it, that sounds good, I guess I completely lack social skills
You are welcome. I hope that is a good starting point . I am very shy too, so I know how hard it is to walk up to a stranger and start talking to them. But, I have often found that I tend to have an over-active imagination, and frequently work myself into a lather over nothing. My DH is always telling me to relax, which is sometimes easier said then done, but ultimately good advice. Learn about your new neighbors, and try to see things from their point of view if they don't agree with your cats being outside (like put yourself in their shoes for a moment to get the complete picture). Then work from there, and take it one day at a time. Remain positive. Focusing on what you don't want tends to bring it about because you put so much energy into it (may I ask if you have you heard of the book/movie that is titled The Secret?). I am glad to hear that you fully intend to speak to them. I hope that things can be worked out.

Edited to add: I have no idea how that lightbulb ended up there in my post!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 162 Old 06-14-2007, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokidoki View Post
Please take this next bit of advice with the kindness in which it is offered[/I] ~ erase as much of this bitterness you can from yourself before going to speak with them. Be gentle and polite. Even introduce yourself first and tell them a little bit about your family. Mention that you have two cats...and go forward from there. .
This is very good advice. I was thinking along the same lines. I understand that you are mad that they may have tried to take your pets for reasons you don't understand. It is going to be important to put aside your feelings and judgements about them before talking to them.

And, please, if I ever move into your neighborhood, don't judge me and my family by how we act in the first month after our move. We are crabby, crazy people during moves. Aren't most people? Give them a break. Try not to be nervous about the conversation just because they didn't approach you first. Assume that they were trying to trap other cats or that they just didn't know your cats weren't strays. Because they truly may not have known.

I did have a thought - perhaps they have never lived in a neighborhood such as your's before and don't know that there are pet cats that run free? I will tell you that I naively used to think that there was no way that a pet cat would be allowed outside without a form of ID. I didn't know that collars were dangerous for outside cats. I had not owned a cat since I was a kid and lived in apartment complexes until we moved here. I just assumed that, just like a dog, everyone kept ID on their cat.

So, when we first moved here and a beautiful pure white cat came around our house, I did "trap" it. Not because I wanted it off my property, but because I was concerned for the pretty thing. I didn't know there were so many pet cats running around without ID. After talking to some folks at work, I found out that it was very common in this town so I let the cat go and it visits me often. But, I almost took what is probably someone's beloved pet cat to a shelter. And, there was no malicious intent on my part. You just never know.

ETA: I just saw your last post about how you doubt you'll be friends with them because, by trapping cats, they knew they were sentencing them to death. That is another assumption about your neighbors that just may not be true. They may not be from your city. And, even if they are, they may not know the kill stats for your shelter. Not many people do. They think of it as a safe place for stray cats to go to get adopted. Please try to put all these assumptions about your neighbors out of your head before you go over there. It will make your conversation so much easier!

Me , 36 year old RN and future AP mom in training . I am wife to one wonderful husband and "mom" to one great rescue pup :.
#123 of 162 Old 06-14-2007, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Where did "HATE" come in???? ! Whaaat?

Since I was given some constructive advice on a way to handle this issue just this evening- before this evening it was either support or no support, it was around 8pm when I got this advice... it was storming (lightning/rain) before 8pm..
Should I knock on their door that late to discuss my issues??? Should I walk out in lightning and rain with my daughter to discuss the issues??? I already said I WILL discuss the issues a few times tonight, but I can't just up and go if the environment or time is not right.... Assumptions.
I keep getting some not so supportive comments and insults that I can't help but address (like yours), but these have all happened since around the storm and 8pm
Jen, I get that you are shy and are apprehensive about approaching someone you don't know. I am too. I am worried about going over too late or too early or during dinner or during a phone call or they'll think I'm annoying, or whatever. And that's why we've only met one neighbor - and they came over to talk to US. (I did wave at the next door neighbor but she rolled her eyes and didn't wave back. And she's apparently a single mom with young kiddos.)
But given that you have some sort of a time limit since there are traps set out for cats, you REALLY need to stop worrying and just go do it. You sound like me, when I had to lead a meeting at work. I was sooo paranoid - and actually DOING it was way better than worrying about it incessantly.

Just go do it. Just go talk to them. Don't go over with any assumptions about what kind of people they are. Just be friendly and let them know about the rats and such. It will not be as bad as all this worrying.
#124 of 162 Old 06-14-2007, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Never said I disliked them b/c they didn't wave, it just makes me that much more nervous about them, (I was listing diff reasons why I was worrying)

The only reason I would have a hard time "liking" them is b/c they put up cat cages and I find caging cats that will have an ultimate fate of death as a result is mean.

From last post

I think it is mean to cause an animal that type of suffering.
This doesn't mean I will not be civil with them, but probably we will not be inviting each other to family cookouts.

I wouldn't dislike them IF they were the ones that had the roaches, I don't like the roaches, BUT what I would dislike is if they complained about small issues from here, and IF the problem they had was just my cat laying under their tree, I worry that in the future, I will hear many complaints from them...

There has not been any definite assumptions made, just WORRIES. I can be a worry wart.
I totally understand where you're coming from, jrayn. I'm a real worry wart myself.

And dealing with conflicts with neighbors is always a stressful and difficult thing. From what you've posted, your worries don't seem unreasonable to me at all. I too would be feeling a bit put off by these new neighbors due to the observances you've posted thus far.

But if I were you I would try to give them the benefit of the doubt--perhaps they will come around and see things your way (especially if you mention what good mousers your cats are--just make sure that doesn't inspire them to put rat poison all over the place). I would go over as soon as possible tomorrow to talk to them and try to iron the whole situation out. I can totally understand not getting the best vibe from them, and I wouldn't want to be best friends with them either from what you've described, but try to approach them with the assumption that all parties can come to a happy compromise.

Good luck!
#125 of 162 Old 06-14-2007, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gealach View Post
And, please, if I ever move into your neighborhood, don't judge me and my family by how we act in the first month after our move. We are crabby, crazy people during moves. Aren't most people?
So true! Moving is a very stressful time in ones life.
#126 of 162 Old 06-14-2007, 03:02 AM - Thread Starter

Zamber Thanks! and yes on over-active imagination also! Coincidentally I did watch a few minutes of the secret last night, and the worry habbit is HARD to break and the believing it would work is probably going to be hard too.

gealach - yes I thought lokidoki's advice was good as well, I WILL tell myself that the best case scenario is their situation - they didn't know.

boingo82 - yes timing is important, I figure if it is bad timing I could get a bad response. I am really hoping to catch them while they are outside w/out any visitors so I will not have to knock on their door, possibly interrupting something.
I dwell but when actually doing these things I also freeze up, I will have a whole speech or conversation all planned out in my head and then when real life comes, I barely talk.....
#127 of 162 Old 06-14-2007, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potty Diva View Post
Cats can be injured by other animals or things, even eat things that can make them sick. radiator fluid tastes sweet to animals and can kill them. Why subject your pets to such injury and danger?
I had two cats that lived 100% outdoors, day and night, summer and winter, and they lived to age 14 and 15.

All animals evolved to live outdoors. (Even humans should spend more time outdoors.) Cats don't exist so we can lock them all up in our houses.

Radiator fluid and speeding cars are definitely dangers, and they concern me. But I would feel worse to see my precious cat locked up inside miserable and depressed every day.

There are dangers out in the world for all of us. But do I decline invitations to family events just because I will have to drive 5 hours, and there's a chance I could be killed in a car accident? Limiting my life in that way would scarcely be living. Same for a cat.
#128 of 162 Old 06-14-2007, 03:35 AM

I know this doesn't matter now, since your cats are already used to being outdoors, but if they never go out, they never want to go out. Years ago I had a cat who never left the house. She was happy in her little world. When I moved, she had a panic attack when I tried to carry her across the threshold. They will not miss what they never had, trust me. And cat experts everywhere will tell you it is healthier and safer for your cat to live inside.

They are domesticated animals, just like dogs. Since we fuddled with their genetics, and also since the world out there is a heck of a lot more dangerous for them than it used to be, it is our responsibility to make sure they are safe. There are so many ways for them to get hurt. Poison, predators, cars, theft by people getting animals for labs and people who would torture/maim/kill them for their own sick amusement...I could go on and on and on.

My great grandpa lived to 98, he drank a 12 pack every night and smoked like a chimney in his room while watching baseball. The statistics say that the average cat that lives outdoors will live a much shorter, and often much more brutal life than one kept indoors. I'm glad you had good luck with yours.

Misti, mom to DS (12), DS (9), DD (3), and Mr. Man (October '10)!

#129 of 162 Old 06-14-2007, 09:59 AM

The argument about dangers always eing a possiibility is pretty bogus. Yes there are dangers for humans and animals, but a responsible pet owner LIMITS those dangers.

My cats (all 3 of them) are super happy inside. They have climbing poles, scratching poles, beds, fresh water and food, toys and US and each other to play with. They don't care to go outside. They do love to nest in the windows though.

Cats are not trapped wen inside, they are protected from dangers that I could never keep them fom.

Just as in my life, I minimize the chances of danger, real danger, while living life fully.

We live in a busy area, so children don't play unsupervised and we wear seatbelts when driving in the car.

It doesn't have to be all or nothing. BTW, inside cats live on average 5 years longer than outside cats.
#130 of 162 Old 06-14-2007, 03:29 PM

As far as the roaches, get the Raid traps with egg stoppers. It is amazing. You hide the taps under the fridge and stove and these egg stoppers go in the same kind of places. Do it quickly because if they are bringing roaches in, then the problem will come over to your house in no time!
I live inWashington state, so I know this is diferent than Florida (I used to hear stories of the roach problems in Florida when we lived down there!) but I was talking to an exterminator recently and he said that the roach problem is almost completely eradicated in this state because of the egg stopper technology. The only calls he gets for roaches now are in the larger, badly run apartment complexes. I was amazed at that! Also, there is a chance that the people next door bombed their house and the roaches were living there all along and are now finding a new place. My husband was telling me that he knew an exterminator in FLorida who told him that when they would tent a building and bomb it, they would watch a wave of roaches sneak under the bottom of the tent and head for the building next door!! ICK!!
Also, I do sympathize with you. I am very shy as well and hate approaching people, especially if there is a problem. Good luck to you!
Bake them a pie and go say welcome to the neighborhood
#131 of 162 Old 06-14-2007, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ok this is what i don't get. The neighbors have not told you they are trying to trap YOUR cats.

Your cats have not been trapped, you have not had to go reclaim them from the shelter.

You have stated that your cats WILL NOT eat anything of the neighbors, all they will do is walk across their yard or sleep under a tree.

So...um....why are you worried about them getting trapped?

Its my understanding, that the way the humane traps work is that you put some food inside the trap, the animal walks in to get the food, and bam, they are trapped. Is this something your cats are likely to do? From your description, its a no. So there isnt even a concern there.

I could understand you being upset and concerned if your neighbor was setting out poison (although you said they wouldnt eat it), or if they were shooting at "stray" cats. But they arent. They are, presumably, trying to catch stray or feral cats. And they are taking them to the shelter. If your cats go missing, you can go reclaim them from the shelter...its not a death sentence for YOUR cats, as they are owned. You should probably let the shelter know what your cats look like (maybe put tags on your cats, microchip, tattoo, something to identify them as owned) in case they do happen to get trapped, which is very unlikely as you said your cats really dont go looking for trouble right?

I'm pretty shy too, but it concerns me that you have written about "confronting" the neighbors....why confront? Why not just stop by, say "Hey i'd like to introduce myself, i live next door.....by the way, i have two cats, they look like XYZ, theyre pretty old and dont really do much....but i wanted to make sure they werent causing you any trouble. They are used to your yard since it was vacant so long.....have they been over there bothering you?....if they do, please let me know---here's my phone number---i'll come right over and get them." If you have the attitude of "I know its not your responsibility but if they cause you any trouble please let me know and i'll fix it" rather than "here's why you should appreciate having my cats in your yards, they kill rats"....it might go over better. Its very likely they dont know who your cats are (that they are yours), and likely they will be willing, if they DO trap them (which again, is unlikely because your cats are so well behaved right?!), they will just put them back in your yard, and hopefully the experience will be just traumatic enough that the cats will steer clear in the future.

Katherine

Katherine, single homeschooling mom to Boy Genius (17) geek.gif  Thing One (6) and Thing Two (6) fencing.gif and one outgoing Girl (12) bikenew.gif and hoping for more through foster care and adoption homebirth.jpgadoptionheart-1.gif 
#132 of 162 Old 06-14-2007, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayo de sol
Cats don't exist so we can lock them all up in our houses.
Quote:
Cats are not trapped when inside, they are protected from dangers that I could never keep them from.
I personally agree with Potty Diva. I live in a manufactured home community, with a lot of people living close together. I would be pretty stupid if I let any of the 9 cats that are currently living in my house go outside. Speeding cars are only the tip of the iceburg here, and seeing dead cats along the side of the road is a common occurance. I love my cats dearly, and they are quite happy staying inside. I don't think it is fair for others to think I am cruel for keeping my cats indoors at all times. Everybody has a different situation.
#133 of 162 Old 06-14-2007, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have two cats, about 7 yrs old. They started off as indoor only cats which to me is the only type to have. Then, for various reasons, they started going outside. The girl would mostly go out to potty and hang out in the sun, but she was always in at night, the boy however really liked being mostly outdoor. Sometimes he'd disappear for days on end...once he was taken home by a neighbor (she thought he was a stray), and kept for a couple days until she found out he was ours and gave him back. The cats almost always stayed at the end of our little dead end street which backed up to some woods. but when i'd come home from work, there they would be, lying right in the middle of the street. I never felt totally at peace, because i felt one day i'd come home and see one of them squashed by a car. Not everyone likes cats, in fact alot of people actively hate them. i always worried that someone would poison them intentionally, or do very cruel things to them. It happens. We also had alot of stray cats in our neighborhood, or cats who might be owned but looked pretty rough. One cat was so gorgeous and sweet, but i couldnt bring him inside (he had parasites and fleas and i didnt have the money to fix him)....one day i found him dead in our basement, dont know what happened but i think he got in through a broken basement window. Maybe he got into chemicals. It was so sad, he was such a lover and really just wanted a home.

Anyway....we moved to an apartment, and my cats have had NO adjustment issues. They NEVER go outside now. Yes, they probably miss climbing trees, getting up on the roof of the house, chasing mice and killing snakes. But they seem pretty content to lay on my bed or sit in the window. They arent at the door howling to get out. The boy cat does try to get out the door occasionally and has gotten out into the hallway a few times but willingly comes back. The thing that want most above anything is attention from humans, and would gladly choose a head rub over anything else.

I tell this story to show that its NOT cruel, or a prison, to keep cats inside, AND that cats can and do adjust from outside to inside. Not all cats do, of course. So if you make the choice to let a cat outside who IS truly miserable inside you also accept the risks inherent in that decision, including the cats being at the mercy of whomever's path they cross.

Katherine

Katherine, single homeschooling mom to Boy Genius (17) geek.gif  Thing One (6) and Thing Two (6) fencing.gif and one outgoing Girl (12) bikenew.gif and hoping for more through foster care and adoption homebirth.jpgadoptionheart-1.gif 
#134 of 162 Old 06-14-2007, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamber View Post
I personally agree with Potty Diva. I live in a manufactured home community, with a lot of people living close together. I would be pretty stupid if I let any of the 9 cats that are currently living in my house go outside. Speeding cars are only the tip of the iceburg here, and seeing dead cats along the side of the road is a common occurance. I , love my cats dearly, and they are quite happy staying inside. I don't think it is fair for others to think I am cruel for keeping my cats indoors at all times. Everybody has a different situation.
I think having climbing towers is really helpful, especially for Salem who LOVES to climb. He jumps to the top of our dresser then jumps to the top of the door! and just balances there, then, and this is hilarious, he SLIDES down the side of the door closest to the wall. He is a nut

I lived in Arizona about 14 years ago and our dogs and the neighbors dogs roamed. It was all good. No one cared that they would have 5-6 dogs in the yard or on their farm at any one time. We loved it. Our horse trails overlapped each others property. So I can see if you come from that type of community then you would wonder what the big deal was, but when you move to a city you have to make that quick transition to being more aware and sensitive to your neighbor's boundaries, whether you agree or think it's a big deal or not.
#135 of 162 Old 06-14-2007, 07:27 PM

Quote:
BTW, inside cats live on average 5 years longer than outside cats.
Can you cite this statistic?

Are they including homeless, stray cats in with the outdoor cat category?

What about the fact that cats need to get some sunshine on a regular basis for good health?

I also really think the mental health of some cats can be ruined by their forced indoor status. Not all cats are completely human-centered and content with just sitting on a lap. Quality of life is often more important than quantity of life.
#136 of 162 Old 06-14-2007, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayo de sol View Post
Can you cite this statistic?

Are they including homeless, stray cats in with the outdoor cat category?

What about the fact that cats need to get some sunshine on a regular basis for good health?

I also really think the mental health of some cats can be ruined by their forced indoor status. Not all cats are completely human-centered and content with just sitting on a lap. Quality of life is often more important than quantity of life.
The only time I have seen this particular stat used it has included cats that perhaps were not owned. It mostly attributes that cats that live outside face things like being hit by cars, killed by animals preying on them (i.e. dogs, etc.) or not having adequate/healthful food supply. I have a 12 year old indoor/outdoor cat who was indoors for the first 6 years of his life. I must disagree with someone who said that if a cat grows up indoors only it will not want to go outside ~ so not true in my case. I got my cats from my parents who had a barn cat give birth to them in my closet at home. They were indoors from day one until they were 6 years old. At that point I moved into a house with my husband and from that day forward my cats attempted to get out at all possible chances (including chewing thru dryer vents, window screens and darting out the door at all chance). They had been strictly indoor cats prior to that...never allowed outside with the exception of ONE escape of my female when we were living in the apartment complex.

I suppose their desire to be indoor/outdoor cats was a drive from being parented by 2 barn cats perhaps (both fairly feral). But there was no denying once they did go outside that they were not going to be happy with any other kind of situation ~ and they WOULD NOT and I do mean WOULD NOT have it any other way!

Wife to DH (06/09/01), Mother to DS coolshine.gif (04/10/06) saynovax.gif and rescuer of dachshunds ~ and joy.gifthat our rainbow1284.gif arrived (06/10/11) safe and sound. Love cd.gif our little one ~ and lactivist.gif

#137 of 162 Old 06-14-2007, 08:53 PM

loki- but your situation involves a move from your cats home to another. Any change like that might create a desire to get out of the new place by any means. So really your cats may not have desired to go out as much as they wanted to get out, if ya know what I mean.

The stat includes all outside cats owned and stray.

IMO, inside owned cats have a much better qaulity of life if cared for properly.
#138 of 162 Old 06-14-2007, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokidoki View Post
The only time I have seen this particular stat used it has included cats that perhaps were not owned. It mostly attributes that cats that live outside face things like being hit by cars, killed by animals preying on them (i.e. dogs, etc.) or not having adequate/healthful food supply.
Thanks, lokidoki, that's what I thought. So that statistic that everyone loves to recite that indoor cats live longer is basically worthless.

There's no comparison between my cat who is fed a homemade diet and spends the night inside and a poor homeless cat who never knows when he's eating next and has to depend on possibly poisoned rodents for his food supply.
#139 of 162 Old 06-14-2007, 09:37 PM

what about the dangers of being outside for an owned healthy dieted cat?

My cat wasn't injured by another animal or from eating something poisonous. he was injured by a stick.

So there are compairsons because stray cats and owned outside cats can be hit by cars, killed by neighbors, poisoned, and injured by animals or other objects. They can be captured by animal control and killed.

I see many comparisons.

BUT, I also think there is a big difference between stray cats and cats who are yard bound and come in the hosue at night.
#140 of 162 Old 06-15-2007, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-sorta-fairytale View Post
Here is my city law

"Welcome to the City of ********* Animal Services Division, where we endeavor to protect animals from abuse, and people from animal bites and disease. We have a staff of concerned and caring individuals in the Field, Kennel, and Office willing to assist you however possible.

If you own a pet, responsible pet ownership is something expected by your friends and neighbors to ensure both their peace of mind, and the overall living conditions of our community. The law has certain requirements for every dog, cat, or ferret:

Vaccinations - rabies required annually

Licenses - renewable yearly
available at Animal Services or your veterinarian

Leash Law - leash required whenever animal is off the owner's propertyleash may be no longer than 8 feet in length

Spay/Neuter - all animals adopted or reclaimed from ASD must be sterilized.

Identification - all animals adopted or reclaimed from ASD must be microchipped

You must seriously live in my county. I looked my city laws and that is word for word what mine is.

Quote:
I don't think you are seeing the point here. Regardless of the gentleness of your cats, their age, what YOUR opinions are about roaming animals, what MY opinions are about roaming animals, the fact is, YOUR cats are on THEIR property and THEY DON'T like it.

There seems to be such a complete lack of respect for the property and feelings of your neighbor here and I don't understand it at all. Your neighbor isn't complaining that your cats are in the street or in someone elses yard, they don't want YOUR cats in THEIR yard.

They have very right to have their property respected.

If I were your neighbor I would speak to you if I knew they were your cats and if you didn't stop them the first time I would take them to the humane society because I would believe you to be a neglectful pet owner.

Cats can be injured by other animals or things, even eat things that can make them sick. radiator fluid tastes sweet to animals and can kill them. One of my cats was out and got a puncture would that we didn't know about until 2 days later. He could have died from the infection. Why subject your pets to such injury and danger?
We had two cats on 2 acres of property that we thought stayed on our property as we were very outdoorsy and thought we kept super good eyes on them.

One day they were on the porch and both acted funny. As the days passed they started walking crooked and drunk-like. One began throwing up green. We immediately took them to the vet (Like 10PM wake up the doctor immediately). We had to put one down and spend THOUSANDS of dollars on the other. They had ANTIFREEZE POISONING. They neighbor had been dumping it in his yard late at night and when it rained it seeped into the ground and near where our cats got their water. We had no clue. NONE. We thought we did.

Stuff happens. You never know 100% of anything. March over there and ask them point blank why they have a cage in the back. Tell them you have two cats- BRING A PICTURE to show them. Ask them to call and give your number AND leave the picture if they were to by-chance catch your cat.

But honestly- I'm on the camp of cats ought to be indoor cas- and that's because of MY experience with MY cats.

GREAT MOM to dd (5) and )ds( [sept 26 2006]
#141 of 162 Old 06-15-2007, 02:57 AM - Thread Starter

This morning, we went outside for our morning playing time, I noticed THE CAGE WAS GONE!!! I was kind of relieved but suspicous so we walked in the back yard to get a full view of their back yard, no cage, so we went for a walk down the street past their house and then back, no cage on the side of their house!
Some relief here, couldn't wait for them to get home (from work I presume).
Fast foward to later in the afternoon after our nap... around 4pm, we go outside, walking around the frount of the house... I notice their is a flourescent paper attached to my frount door knob, my first thought is "oh crap something has been cut off!" although I thought I paid all the late bills, pregnancy brain makes me :
I get the card, it is a warning from my city I need to "contain" my cats or I will be fined, I have a due date and everything for when they will return to "inspect". Someone has complained about cats that live at this house - this recently happened to a friend of mine, her neighbor compalined about her indoor/outdoor cat, and she got the warning, she spoke to the person that left it and coincidentally that person used to live at her house and that neighbor drove them out b/c they always complained about animal issues.
So I didn't go over there, my choices are now made, tomorrow morning I will be taking my cats to grandma's house. I am sad about it, b/c I know this is their last move away from me, their resting place will be at grandma's. I know they like it there, I usually go there at least once a week if not more but it is still sad.
My only worry is the somewhat feral cat that grandma has been feeding that has decided to live on her property.... he has ear mites, he doesn't let anyone pet him...except my dd has touched him a few times, so I dont' know how I will be able to get rid of his mites and I am sure he has fleas too when he is not even letting me pet him.....

On the indoor/outdoor discussion - It varies with each situation and each cat in my opinion, there is no one size fits all answer to that. Both my cats were exposed to the outside world, my younger I started out with him as an indoor cat but my mom let him out and that changed it for him. My cats have had much of their life as indoor/out door cats, almost 4 years were strictly indoors though, and one is over 10 and still in good health the other is nearing 10 and in good health, his indoor siblings owned by my sister-in-law, all died of different cat diseases like diabetes, I think a few got leukemia.
My neighbors' cat, he was always an inside cat, I remember watching him glare out the window that faces my house all day long all the time. He wanted out it seemed from the way he was always in that window and he did eventually escape and they had to wait days before they could get him back.. after that he kept escaping, still does every once in a while.
It just seems different personalities and different outdoor living conditions will determine the life span.
#142 of 162 Old 06-15-2007, 03:05 AM

As far as the other cat at your grandma's house, trap him (sorry), treat the ear mites even if only for HIS own good as well as to protect your cats, then release him again wherever he hangs out around there.

He may not appreciate this much but he can't be comfortable living with the mites. They are terribly itchy and cats can and will scratch them to the point of infection.

ETA: ear mite treatment is super cheap and effective. You can pick it up in any grocery store here, for just a couple of dollars. Seriously, I think it is under $5.
#143 of 162 Old 06-15-2007, 03:16 AM - Thread Starter

I am afraid I will get clawed and bit to peices by this cat if I trap and try to stick ear mite stuff in his ears. I have some at home already from the last time they lived over there they got ear mites, the younger one will let me do anything to him, but the older cat was not very cooperative - he didn't scratch or bite-(he's a lover not a fighter) but he tried with all his might to get away so he had to have several applications before I could get a good one on him.

Yes I have felt very bad for this cat though, I know it is bothering him really bad - he has a nasty open sore by his ear, it grosses me out so much!
#144 of 162 Old 06-15-2007, 04:14 AM

Many areas have programs to assist feral cats. They provide you with the use of a trap, you trap the feral cat and bring it to the local vet who is working with them, that vet neuters the cats and treats it for any infections/ear mites/other simple, obvious problems, then you come and get the cat and release it where you caught it.

If you call your local animal shelter they should be able to tell you if this exists in your area. Even if you haven't heard of it, it may well be there. A simple call will tell you. Just phone them up, tell them you have a feral cat that you do not want to have destroyed but are there any programs to assist with neutering.
#145 of 162 Old 06-15-2007, 09:05 AM

: Oh no.... well, we tried to give them the benefit of the doubt. It sounds like they may have come from an area where they did things differently. At least your Grandma will be able to take them in, and that the cats have been there before. I am glad you have that resource, because if you had not I fear what could of happen to your cats. It's very sad, but it could of been so much worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyastara View Post
Many areas have programs to assist feral cats. They provide you with the use of a trap, you trap the feral cat and bring it to the local vet who is working with them, that vet neuters the cats and treats it for any infections/ear mites/other simple, obvious problems, then you come and get the cat and release it where you caught it.
Here is a group that does TNR (Trap-Neuter-Return) that I fully support: http://alleycat.org/
#146 of 162 Old 06-15-2007, 11:11 AM

Quote:
and still you dont get it.

THIS IS NOT YOUR PROPERTY OR YOUR RIGHT TO LET YOUR CATS ROAM ON THEIR PROPERTY.

TAKE SOME RESPONSIBILITY PLEASE!

Thank you!!! I can't believe this has gone on for so many pages. These are your cats, not your neighbors. You have the responsibility to keep them contained either on your property or in your house.
For you to say that they only poop in their pile is insane. Are you outside with them all night long? For all you know, they could be chasing rodents just outside your neighbors bedroom window. They may be going to the bathroom in their yard...the fact is you really don't know because you're not watching them all of the time. Cats are nocturnal, they may only be in the neighbors yard one time during the day but night time could be a whole different story.
We had a cat on our patio on afternoon. We took it in and kept it. An owner finally turned up FOUR MONTHS later. We gave that "stray" cat (there was no collar and no owner turned up after numerous flyers/newspaper ads, etc.) a good, loving home. Not many people would do that. I was well within my rights to take that cat and drop it off to be put to sleep.
I was in my garden the other day and there was cat poop under one of our shrubs. I don't pay a mortgage payment every month to clean up after someone elses animal.
Seriously, I think you either have to contain your cats or deal with the possibility of the cats being trapped, taken to the local shelter, and put to sleep.
I don't see how you could argue that.

ETA: I see you decided to take the cats to your grandmoms. I know it's not what you want to do and I'm sorry that you have to make that decision.
FWIW. I have 3 very happy indoor cats. Our first cat was fro man amish farm. She was only outdoors and they just had too many. She has wandered outside one time and was too afraid to leave our patio. She has adjusted quite well to being indoors. There are a lot of medications that would be able to help your dp cope with the allergies and your cats would get used to being indoors.

Lindsey- SAHM to Skylar (7-12-01), Leah (10-29-04), id twin boys Addison and Riley (6-17-08, born at 25w4d), and Terran (5-29-11, born at 28 weeks)

#147 of 162 Old 06-15-2007, 03:53 PM

I would still try to talk to your neighbors and see where they are coming from. Maybe they are making a bunch of wrong assumptions about you.

Since you are too shy can you send your DP over? I just feel it is worth trying to get to know your neighbors and not carrying around so much resentment.
#148 of 162 Old 06-15-2007, 04:50 PM

I'm sorry you're upset about taking the cats to your grandma's house but I really think it's a good idea. If you won't/aren't able to contain them, then I think it's the best option.
#149 of 162 Old 06-15-2007, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarsmama View Post

ETA: I see you decided to take the cats to your grandmoms. I know it's not what you want to do and I'm sorry that you have to make that decision.
FWIW. I have 3 very happy indoor cats. Our first cat was fro man amish farm. She was only outdoors and they just had too many. She has wandered outside one time and was too afraid to leave our patio. She has adjusted quite well to being indoors. There are a lot of medications that would be able to help your dp cope with the allergies and your cats would get used to being indoors.
I know there are a lot of pages to read but I have said several times that the cats will not live inside, I said that they have actually spent around 4 years of their lives where they were forced to live inside b/c I was not living in a safe place for them to go outside at all due to traffic.
One of the cats eats his hair from some anxiety/boredom issue when stuck indoors (I had cat "toys" and a tower thing... they actually ignored most of that stuff, the tower was a good scratching post and they would sleep on it, but it didn't provide them with any enertainment)
I know it isn't fleas b/c he has had fleas before and it didn't make him lose his hair, I did a lot of trial and error things and as soon as he was able to go out of the house, he quit eating his hair, he has been fluffy and happy for the 3 years he has lived here.
The other cat develops mental issues when he is inside, he is normally a very nice cat, never hisses or anything, but indoors he acts like he is just really mad and will sometimes hiss at us and other wierd things...
And they are escape artists, they figured out that screens are something that can be broken out of and the last time they moved in to grandma's was b/c they did break a screen to escape (it was at a house by a fairly busy road) and it was something that they would continue to do - closing the windows is not an option we were willing to take nor the mental torture that staying strictly indoors...
I am aware of medications that dp could take, but that is also not an option, we can't afford to have him go to a doctor, if we could then we would probably be able to get a fence and let the cats be happy and outdoors and avoid putting meds in dp.
The inhalers that he does have for his asthma when he does have an attack which is rare now, he obtains through people he knows, not from a prescription.
#150 of 162 Old 06-15-2007, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune6 View Post
I would still try to talk to your neighbors and see where they are coming from. Maybe they are making a bunch of wrong assumptions about you.

Since you are too shy can you send your DP over? I just feel it is worth trying to get to know your neighbors and not carrying around so much resentment.
Well now that the city is involved, they will be coming back to "inspect" I don't want to risk getting fined - that is the last thing we need right now, we have had different problems back to back for the past few months that have really hurt us financially....

Bringing dp over there MAY not be a good idea... it probably depends on his mood at the time... he is feeling pretty negative toward them at this point but maybe if they are home over the weekend I could still talk to them, not sure what could come out of talking, it seems the dialogue would go more like "Hi, I just wanted to introduce myself, and this is my daughter, I HAD 2 cats over here, but they are at my grandma's house now since the city threatened to fine me for having them, I noticed you had cages over there so I am guessing you had issues with my cats, just curious what was the problem? Just a general dislike of cats?" And of course I will totally freeze up when the opportunity is there and it will come out all messed up and disorganized...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page