Yet another neighbor problem!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 162 Old 06-10-2007, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been living here for 3 years and I get these new neighbors about 3 weeks ago. They have been in and out, they haven't seemed to settle in to their house yet, I have barely noticed that they even live there.
A little more then a week ago I notice they have something that looks like a cage and some plywood covering it, it crosses my mind it is one of those animal traps that animal control gives out, only b/c I heard about it on here, but I though "Nooo that couldn't be it, they just moved in, they haven't even spoke to me (or me to them)" And put it in the back of my head.
I have 2 elderly cats, I have had them for over 10 years, they are like family, they are also outside cats, they HATE to be indoors I have tried to have them as indoor cats on and off through out their lives, one of them will eat his hair when he is an indoor cat and the other turns scitzophrenic. They are happy now as outside cats, the hair eater is fluffy and affectionate, the other one, well, he doesn't display his wierd, hateful behavior that he used to at times when he was indoors.
Another plus, during rainy season and when it is cold, RATS like to come out of the swamp/canal that is behind our house by coming up to our house, but with our cats, they kill them (previous neighbors complained of this problem, but we haven't had this probmlem, I find rat carcasses during these seasons but no live rats at my house!)
Anyways,
Today, we see an animal control truck parked outside our house, dp asks me to check to make sure we have both our cats, he goes to talk to the animal control and it was verified, "someone" has complained of cats and someone does have cages to catch them and he was in the area to collect these cages. LUCKILY my cats have not been caught.
NOW what????
I am just at a loss! We are pay check to paycheck people, I WANT to get a fence for the back yard but besides not being sure if my guys would stay w/in the fence, we can't afford one!!!! We would probably have to get someone to come out to tell us where the property line is which probably cost over $100 which is a lot of money for us to begin with!!
I couldn't keep them indoors even if they agreed to it, dp has asthma and when they are kept indoors the asthma gets worse and usually he ends up in the hospital several times a year - since the cats have been outdoors, he hasn't had to go to the hospital once!
They are old, this is just so unfair! Those people didn't even have the decency to say anything to us before getting cages, so they were planning on CATCHING my cats who are like family and having them probably jailed for a few days and euthanized b/c I wouldn't have had a clue what happened!!!
:
#2 of 162 Old 06-10-2007, 02:52 PM

I would get some break away collars and name tags with your phone number on them as a temporary measure. Then maybe animal control will call you if they're captured

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#3 of 162 Old 06-10-2007, 02:52 PM

Also, let your neighbors know about the rat problem.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#4 of 162 Old 06-10-2007, 02:59 PM
Banned

I can already tell you I'm probably going to be in the minority... but I think what your neighbors did was wrong. I love cats. This morning I went outside and found that a stray cat got into my garbage. It's my own fault for creating so much garbage this week that there wasn't enough room in my garbage can. I was a bit annoyed that I have to pick up the mess, but I'm definately not mad at the owners of the cat. Then, I met the cat. She came over as I stood there looking at the garbage mess. She rubbed herself against my leg, and stood on her hind legs so I'd pet her. Kind of her way of apologizing for making the mess... "Hey, sorry for getting into your garbage, but I'm eating for 5 here!" (yup, she's pregnant). I wish I knew who owned her, so I could see about adopting one of her babies in a few months.
#5 of 162 Old 06-10-2007, 03:42 PM

I'm sorry your neighbors didn't say anything to you, and I'm sorry you're in the predicament of not being able to contain the cats.

However, there are several neighborhood cats that wander freely through my fenced yard, and I hate it. I started shooting them with a squirt gun to see if it would keep them out of my yard. It hasn't worked.

They're a nuisance; we have motion detectors on all of our outdoor lights - the cats play with the sensors, so the lights stay on all night, raising our electric bill. Why should my bills increase because someone in my neighborhood chooses to have a cat as a pet and not contain it? You wouldn't DREAM of letting a dog roam free, why should your cat be any different?

I hope you can get the problem resolved to everyone's satisfaction.
#6 of 162 Old 06-10-2007, 03:43 PM

make sure your cats are compliant with your city's licensing/vaccination laws - if they aren't you might face a hefty fine and possibly loosing your kitties Also I agree with putting some breakaway collars on them so they can be identified if caught. chances are though, you feed your cats so they won't take the bait in the live trap.
#7 of 162 Old 06-10-2007, 03:46 PM

I'm sorry to be the one to say this but, your neighbours are fully within their rights to trap stray cats.
Your problems in regard to their likes and dislikes, or your husbands difficulties etc. are not theirs. Your cats are not their responsibility and they probably resent having to clean up their flower boxes and yard of your cats' activities. Why would they speak to you? They could not possibly know your animals from others in the area nor are they likely interested to find out.

Now, that said, definitely mention the rat control benefits and give some helpful suggestions on how to keep nuisance cats away from their area.
#8 of 162 Old 06-10-2007, 03:47 PM

Iw would talk to them and let them know the situation. If they are reasonable people maybe they will return your cats to you if they get in the trap. Let them know that you are trying to figure out a solution in the mean time. I wish I had some better advice, sorry.
#9 of 162 Old 06-10-2007, 03:55 PM

I agree with InfoISPower.
Maybe they are birders.
#10 of 162 Old 06-10-2007, 04:18 PM

I'd be nervous for my cats. Talk to the neighbors and explain the rat problem and get collars/tags for the cats.

As for not letting dogs roam free and why should cats be different -- huh? That doesn't even register as logical to me. Cats go where they want. Have you ever tried tying one up like one would tie a dog? (That visual is ridiculous.) As for the lighting problem, turn them off. I know they're for security in case someone comes into the yard, but if the cats are that much of a pain in your butt, turn the lights off when you go to bed.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#11 of 162 Old 06-10-2007, 04:20 PM

That's horrible, jrayn! My cat also insists on going out, and I would be horrified to find out that any of my neighbors meant her harm as she is a member of my family. If I were you, I would go have a long chat with your new dreadful neighbors, hopefully try to get them to understand your situation, and ask them to call you if your cats are ever bothering them. My cat always wears a collar outside with her name and phone number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJamie View Post
However, there are several neighborhood cats that wander freely through my fenced yard, and I hate it. I started shooting them with a squirt gun to see if it would keep them out of my yard. It hasn't worked.

They're a nuisance; we have motion detectors on all of our outdoor lights - the cats play with the sensors, so the lights stay on all night, raising our electric bill. Why should my bills increase because someone in my neighborhood chooses to have a cat as a pet and not contain it? You wouldn't DREAM of letting a dog roam free, why should your cat be any different?
1) What is the big deal about a small animal crossing your yard? Do you also shoot at squirrels, bunnies, birds, and chipmunks?

2) Shooting at the cats is cruel. You say squirting them hasn't worked anyways, so I hope you'll discontinue the practice.

3) Take the motion detectors off your outdoor lights if you don't like that they go on like they're designed to. Many things can set off outdoor motion detector lights, and it's just part of having motion sensor lights that they often go on even when it's not a bad guy setting them off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoisPower View Post
I'm sorry to be the one to say this but, your neighbours are fully within their rights to trap stray cats.
But they're not trapping stray cats! They're trapping jrayn's beloved pets. What gives anyone a right to steal someone else's pet?
#12 of 162 Old 06-10-2007, 04:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Your problems in regard to their likes and dislikes, or your husbands difficulties etc. are not theirs. Your cats are not their responsibility and they probably resent having to clean up their flower boxes and yard of your cats' activities. Why would they speak to you? They could not possibly know your animals from others in the area nor are they likely interested to find out.

Now, that said, definitely mention the rat control benefits and give some helpful suggestions on how to keep nuisance cats away from their area.
I agree.
#13 of 162 Old 06-10-2007, 04:37 PM

http://www.littleshelter.com/library/cat_indoors.htm
Squirrels in the yard do not dig into flower beds and vegetable gardens, depositing their refuse. We lived in a house with a beautiful raised bed that we could not use as a vegetable garden because the cats had gotten to it first.
She is shooting water at cats. How is that cruel. If they live outside, they deal with rain and speeding cars. I don't think a bit of water shot will trouble them much. I had a neighbor who would shoot them with her BB gun, now that can be consdiered cruel, but effective.
WHy is it her job to modify her lifestyle (with her motion detector lights), instead of her neighbors following the law (b keeping their cats indoors)?
#14 of 162 Old 06-10-2007, 04:40 PM

right now im going through some crazy stuff with a weird neighbour calling cps over nothing. but the neighbour on the other side of me,though shes been a lot nicer lately,used to do the same thing youre talking about. she would call and rant about our cats and even had traps at one point. our neighbours across the street (who dont take care of their animals,or well,didnt used to years ago. i think they are better at it now-but thats another story) had a little 'weinie' dog,cute as can be and she was trapped by her. they found out where she was,she had actually been adopted by a couple older than they are (and they arent young by any means) and that couple had fallen so in love with her,that they let them keep her. also our cat sarah vanished one time..she is an indoor cat..and we looked everywhere for her. we asked my neighbour if she had seen her and she said no,but awhile later she showed up again..i truly believe by the way they acted and the timing of her showing back up,that she had caught her and was keeping her inside..and probably would have had her taken away. anyway,i guess my point is that i understand,and i will be thinking of you guys & truly praying that they do NOT catch your poor sweet kitties. they have done nothing at all to deserve that. people annoy the heck out of me,for the most part. i do know there are good people..and its us!! O_o with the bad nieghbours who we wouldnt treat the way they do us..sigh..((jrayn))
#15 of 162 Old 06-10-2007, 04:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayo de sol View Post

But they're not trapping stray cats! They're trapping jrayn's beloved pets. What gives anyone a right to steal someone else's pet?
Responsible pet owners do not allow their pets to enter other's property at will. A responsible pet owner has his pet in his control at all times, and if the pet gets out by accident, that pet is wearing a collar with marked tags.

If untagged animals are creating a nuisance on another person's property and the pet owner has not made them identifiable as pets, the person has a right to trap them.

FWIW, I'm an animal lover.
#16 of 162 Old 06-10-2007, 04:52 PM

This would be so hard. I too, have cats, three of them, who are both indoor/outdoor cats, and luckily they pretty much stay within the confines of our property. But every so often they will climb over the fence onto another neighbor's property (and conversely, we sometimes get neighbor's cats in our backyard).

In this case, maybe you could make a large enclosure with chicken wire in your backyard so that your cats can remain outdoors, yet not off your property? I would be very nervous about having my cats suddenly disappear.

Definitely have them wear collars. And do try to talk to the new neighbors to see what is going on.
#17 of 162 Old 06-10-2007, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

IMO that particular "right" is violating my right.... what is the point of owning property if every thing I do turns into a threat to have something taken away from me? My cats rarely leave the property... The only reason that one goes on their property at all is b/c that house they moved into was vacant for around 6 months, one of my cats liked to go over there sometimes b/c it was guaranteed peace for him. If they let him know they didn't want him over - maybe a harsh yell or even a swipe with a broom he would probably be terrified to go over there, but they instead are setting up sneaky silent traps, hopefully not with the brand of cat food we use, that is all he will touch is HIS cat food.
The other cat, well he is so incrediblly friendly He puts up with my toddler and all of the torture she inflicts upon him despite my protests, he just stays there, doesn't run off, he is that way with everyone so if he got curious one day, or wants a new nook to sleep in, that could be the end of my baby boy!
They DON'T dig in anything, they have a spot to do their bathroom business, they go in the same spot all the time, it is in my yard, they grew up using a litter box and that habbit has extended to the outdoors, they chose their out door litter box.

These people are not the "keep the yard nice" types, they just hired someone to chop every single plant/flower that they did have, including a rose bush : So now their yard is just a plain yard with a tree in it, but my cats are not the type to dig in things or I would have issues, I always have pots of different things growing, I have a container garden, I have baby trees in different pots, I have flower patches here and there, they don't mess with that stuff.

They don't have motion detector lights, that is irrelevant, as a matter of fact, they are rarely home, and when they are, they are NEVER outside!
I wouldn't mind if they shot at them with water guns or even gently kicked them away, of course my Tom wouldn't care about a kick... I wonder about him....
#18 of 162 Old 06-10-2007, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boysrus View Post
WHy is it her job to modify her lifestyle (with her motion detector lights), instead of her neighbors following the law (b keeping their cats indoors)?
It is NOT against the law to allow a pet cat outdoors.
#19 of 162 Old 06-10-2007, 05:12 PM

Quote:
It depends where you live. In most places I've lived it has been.

OP, I'm sorry they didn't come talk to you. Maybe they don't know the cats are yours? I can sympathize with them, though. When we moved into our house it had been vacant for 3 months and because of that some neighbourhood cats had decided the yard was their property so much so they had killed areas of the yard where they slept and where they peed. If we had known whose cats they were we would have approached the owners but we had no idea. We tried a bunch of things including buying anti-cat pellets that give off a scent cats don't like, but we didn't like it either and we just wanted our yard to come back in healthy and to enjoy our new place.

Now one of our other neighbours has new outdoor out cats and now they're always in our yard when we're not and their digging up our potted plants and using our gardens as a litter box - it's gross. But we don't know which house to visit so we can ask them to help fix the problem.

Can you approach your neighbours and ask if the cats are causing a problem in the yard? Your cat may be and you're not aware of it. Maybe there's an allergy issue you don't know about. We used to have a sometimes outdoor cat and he never dug in our gardens but it turns out he was in our neighbour's so we brought him inside again. Safer for him, for the birds, and our neighbours appreciated it.
#20 of 162 Old 06-10-2007, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Thank you. I have never lived anywhere that required a CAT to be kept indoors or on any kind of leash.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#21 of 162 Old 06-10-2007, 05:16 PM

No, maybe not against the law for them to be outside, but according to my county's law:
Cats are not permitted to trespass onto property where they are not welcome
http://www.co.thurston.wa.us/bocc/pamphlet/dogzone.htm
#22 of 162 Old 06-10-2007, 05:17 PM

Quote:
No, maybe not against the law for them to be outside, but according to my county's law:
Cats are not permitted to trespass onto property where they are not welcome
http://www.co.thurston.wa.us/bocc/pamphlet/dogzone.htm
I find that totally bizarre. HOW do you keep a cat from wandering?

#23 of 162 Old 06-10-2007, 05:19 PM

Quote:
IMO that particular "right" is violating my right
But your right to have your cat free roaming is violating their right to have their property free of stray animals.

Have you actually talked to these neighbors? They have only been there three weeks, maybe they have huge plans for their yard but are still getting settled. Maybe they have allergies to cats.
#24 of 162 Old 06-10-2007, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justthatgirl View Post
I find that totally bizarre. HOW do you keep a cat from wandering?
Keep it indoors, enclose your yard, build the cat a big kennel.
#25 of 162 Old 06-10-2007, 05:21 PM

If you can't figure out how to keep your cat from wandering and if your cat damages someone's gardens or fences (a neighbour cat has destroyed part of our fence using it as a scratching post) then I think the least a cat owner can do is pay for damages and come and clean up the cat feces if the cat's using the garden as a litter box.

Imagine if a neighbour dog was crapping in your yard. Would you like cleaning up after it?
#26 of 162 Old 06-10-2007, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Keep it indoors, enclose your yard, build the cat a big kennel.
Ours are indoor, but when I was young my cat wandered. (We lived in the country, though, so maybe that's where the difference is.)

Enclosing the yard - cats climb

Build it a kennel -- That just seems weird. Maybe it's just me and it's different, but it really just seems strange.

#27 of 162 Old 06-10-2007, 05:32 PM

We have quite a few cats that roam across our back garden. I love it, and it's never bothered me. There's even one that adores love, strokes and affection and will curl up in delight at being petted. *S* on the other hand hates cats and has bought a cat repellent thing that makes a strange sound which deters them from coming into the garden... he hasn't put it up yet thank goodness.

I suppose this thread depends upon personal perspective, as naturally it would

I think that it is thoughtless that they wouldn't have the decency to speak to the OP first about their intentions.

It makes me feel uncomfortable that actions are made to 'contain' cats... animals which love to go the outdoors and roam free. I love cats though, so maybe I'm biased.

Peace

Ok, I know this thread is about cats, but it also raises the issue of ownership, control and dominion of nature, space and private property. It's an essay from Yakrider.com
http://www.yakrider.com/Poetry_n_Ess...he_machine.htm
#28 of 162 Old 06-10-2007, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imogen View Post
We have quite a few cats that roam across our back garden. I love it, and it's never bothered me. There's even one that adores love, strokes and affection and will curl up in delight at being petted. *S* on the other hand hates cats and has bought a cat repellent thing that makes a strange sound which deters them from coming into the garden... he hasn't put it up yet thank goodness.

I suppose this thread depends upon personal perspective, as naturally it would

I think that it is thoughtless that they wouldn't have the decency to speak to the OP first about their intentions.

It makes me feel uncomfortable that actions are made to 'contain' cats... animals which love to go the outdoors and roam free. I love cats though, so maybe I'm biased.

Peace
Yeah, same here. I just do not think cats are meant to be contained.

#29 of 162 Old 06-10-2007, 05:34 PM

I had neighbors once who built their cats an outdoor enclosure. It was really cool. They had it attached to a window with a small opening. A ramp went from the window to their enclosure. It was several levels from the ground up and had several perches for them. The cats got to go outside, but never left the enclosure.

FWIW, I really dislike stay animals on my property too. I don't want to have to worry about cat or dog feces where my kids play. Or aggressive animals harming my kids.

I wish you or your neighbors had spoken to each other to find a kind solution, but the onus is on you to keep your pets under your control.
#30 of 162 Old 06-10-2007, 05:43 PM

You should have the cats microchipped ... that way the SPCA will probably call if they are picked up.

In a former house, we made an outdoor cat enclosure, about 4 feet by 6 feet, with a roof. The cats had access to it from a cat door, they had free access to both the outdoor enclosure and to all of the indoors at all times.

Talk with the neighbors. You could build a 15' by 4' outdoor enclosure for the cats, out of inexpensive materials found at Home Depot. However, they may find this to be an eyesore in your yard, they may prefer to have your cats visit.

(And even a 6' fence is not guaranteed to keep cats in!)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page