Any rabbit owners out there? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 06-15-2007, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just love my rabbits. I have an English spot and a Lilac and they are the most loving friendly pets in the world. They are litter box trained and I sometimes let them loose in the entire house.
They have free range in one whole room of the house on a regular basis.
I would love to own a huge tract of land where I could have rabbit runs and wide open spaces for them (maybe even kennels of sorts with heat and AC)--ah, but that's a pipe dream.
Any other lovers of rabbits out there?
What kind do you have and how many?
Our local SPCA has a million to adopt and I donate Timothy and pellets all the time, wishing I could take home another one--but my dh would throw a fit.
Mine are neutered so I couldn't lie and say they had babies! LOL!
#2 of 29 Old 06-15-2007, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a 7 year old female Mini Lop named Smokey. I've had two other bunnies but one passed away to old age and the other died from the E.Cuniculi protozoa. Smokey is an indoor bunny. I got her from a local animal shelter when she was just around 30 days old. All my bunnies came from an animal shelter. Smokey is the only female rabbit I've had. She's a very stubborn bunny, much more cautious than the two boy bunnies I've owned. She is litter box trained as were my other rabbits. It was so easy to get them to use a litter box. I think it's going to be harder to teach my daughter to use the potty.

I would love to adopt another bunny, especially as a companion to Smokey, but my DH would have a fit. He asked me, very nicely, not to get another rabbit when Smokey passes on. I promised but I didn't promise on behalf of my daughter. She already shows a keen interest in rabbits. Maybe in the next few years, DD will want a bunny. :

It's really hard to find good quality timothy hay around here. I found it at a feed store about 5 miles from my home. The pet stores and supermarkets have very very old timothy hay. It's brown and stale looking. The feed store also sells timothy hay pellets.

Have you looked at the House Rabbit Society website? They have a lot of good information for indoor bunnies.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#3 of 29 Old 06-15-2007, 10:16 PM

Another rabbit lover here! I have a standard rex doe named Kahlua. She will be two years old November of this year. She is a gorgeous castor colored sweetheart. I bought her from a teen that was cutting down on her 4-H stock. I suspect she wanted to sell them because if URI issues (Kahlua has been diagnosed with Pastuerella and lives with a perpetual snotty nose). She's been on meds on and off for the flare-ups. She lives in my bedroom in an x-large dog crate and gets to run around the house at night. She is litter trained. I have always had rabbits and would have more if Kahlua wasnt so contagious. Nice to see other bunny lovers here.

momma to 8 yr old ddjoy.gif.  Furmom to our menagerie:   2dog2.gif , 1cat.gif, 2 goldfish.gif,  2 hamster.jpg,  and 1 silly rabbit. 

#4 of 29 Old 06-16-2007, 01:19 AM

Yup, I've got two house bunnies; they have free range of my bedroom and love to lounge alongside our cats. Rex Harrison is an 8 year old black Mini Rex and his companion, Peanut Divamuffin, is a 7 year old Mini Lop mix. Last year Peanut developed head tilt from an ear infection/E.C. flareup. She's doing well now, though her head is still slightly...crooked
#5 of 29 Old 06-16-2007, 01:35 AM

I have two house rabbits.

One is an angora/dwarf mix and the other is a dutch.

The angora/dwarf doesn't have poofy hair except around his face just a touch, making him look a little like a mad scientist rabbit It's so cute

My dutch is very sweet and affectionate.

They were both shelter rabbits but are very social. We built a NIC Pen for them but they get lots of floor time.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#6 of 29 Old 06-16-2007, 10:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boricuaqueen327 View Post
She lives in my bedroom in an x-large dog crate and gets to run around the house at night.
The same with my bunny. She gets the run of the house when we're asleep. But she's such a cautious little thing that she only stays out for a bit in the living room area before she runs back to the safety of her condo.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#7 of 29 Old 06-17-2007, 05:18 AM

I had a white bunny with black ears & red eyes (common but I don't know the name of it). Sadly he was left at my parent's house when I moved out to college, but last time I visited him he was going grey where his nose used to be black. It was fun because I arrived just as my dad was feeding him carrot peelings, so he was uber excited.
I think he's about 10 years old. Is that old for a rabbit?
#8 of 29 Old 06-17-2007, 10:59 AM

oneKnight that is called a Californian. They are so pretty. The big bunnies do live longer, and 10 years is old. That is very special to have a bunny that age

I have had 5 rabbits total, three are living. In high school I had what in hindsight was some kind of mini rex mix. I also had a black Holland Lop mix named Putter.

Our three living:

Yahtzee-beige purebred mix rex. She's about 4 years old, very bossy.

Thumper--agouti Holland Lop. Partner of Yahtzee. Shy around people, but loves her!

These two are VERY destructive. I find the tiny bunnies are. I just found our DVD player with the cord split in two by bunny teeth. I have tried giving her free range of the house, but even with careful bunny proofing Yahtzee has nearly killed herself numerous times (climbed into the oven from a back opening, nibbled a hole in a bedskirt, put her head in it, then hung herself nearly to death etc., wiggled back behind stuff to find hidden electric cords). Yahtzee is incredibly oral and chews everything--baseboards, rugs, carpeting, wall corners, chair legs....of all my bunnies the tiniest one has done the most damage! She just isn't very safe as a house rabbit So they stay in an EX pen in the living room most of the time. When we travel they are in an oversized cage with friends, and their ex pen can be set up for more playtime.

We also have Jasmine. She's a rescue from a shelter. Big giant white New Zealand with red eyes. Those eyes freaked me out at first

Jasmine is a WONDERFUL house rabbit. She hates other rabbits but worships our cats. Jasmine is very regal, and loves nothing more than to stretch out on the sofa and take a long nap.

At the moment Jasmine has no cage at all. She's loving it! She'll be staying with my mom this summer while we travel, so she'll have her EX pen set up, which is roomy. But I'm sure she'll be eager to get back to being a whole-house rabbit again!

All the bunnies are litter box trained. I have been fortunate, that all my bunnies trained easily to the box.

Mother is the word for God on the hearts and lips of all little children--William Makepeace Thackeray
#9 of 29 Old 06-17-2007, 11:02 AM

Abimommy are you sure that isn't a little Lionhead you have there? What you described sounds exactly like one!

Mother is the word for God on the hearts and lips of all little children--William Makepeace Thackeray
#10 of 29 Old 06-17-2007, 12:49 PM

I've always had a rabbit. We currently have a 1 1/2 yr old mini-lop (opal), Nelly-belly. She has a bunny-condo that she is contained in when we're not at home otherwise she has full run of our townhome w/ her litter boxes all over the place. She enjoys her days with my dog and we just lost our Samoyed dog, who was her best friend and she is grieving over that for sure. She sleeps either under our bed, on the dog bed w/ the dog (our springer HATES her, but he lets her sleep near him....) or on my son's bed (by herself as he sleeps w/ us). She's our princess for sure and a mama's girl. She sits on my lap during tv time at night and loves to have her cheeks massaged.
#11 of 29 Old 06-17-2007, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneKnight View Post
I had a white bunny with black ears & red eyes (common but I don't know the name of it). Sadly he was left at my parent's house when I moved out to college, but last time I visited him he was going grey where his nose used to be black. It was fun because I arrived just as my dad was feeding him carrot peelings, so he was uber excited.
I think he's about 10 years old. Is that old for a rabbit?
Ooh! sounds like a Californian to me. I LOVE that breed. I had one as a kid and he was the sweetest, most cuddly guy ever. I have a strong preference for large rabbits and californians look adorable with their little black noses. I would love to have another one some day.

momma to 8 yr old ddjoy.gif.  Furmom to our menagerie:   2dog2.gif , 1cat.gif, 2 goldfish.gif,  2 hamster.jpg,  and 1 silly rabbit. 

#12 of 29 Old 06-18-2007, 12:01 AM
Banned

we have a dutch-rex mix named October J. he's 10 yrs old and beautiful--crazy healthy and active.

he uses his litter box about 85% of the time and has total, free run of the house.

we dont have children, so a bit of poop left around during the day is no big problem. i sweep AM and PM to get everything up.

yeah, i love my guy.
#13 of 29 Old 06-18-2007, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartmama View Post
oneKnight that is called a Californian. They are so pretty. The big bunnies do live longer, and 10 years is old. That is very special to have a bunny that age
Um, he's the smallest rabbit I've ever had. I had a few "mixed/unknown" breeds when I was younger and they were huge. This one is small compared to them He's also the best trained and smartest that we've ever had. His name is Sunny btw, can't believe I didn't mention it before
#14 of 29 Old 06-18-2007, 11:41 AM

He's probably a Himalayan than, they look just like Californians but alot smaller.

#15 of 29 Old 06-19-2007, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartmama View Post
Abimommy are you sure that isn't a little Lionhead you have there? What you described sounds exactly like one!
They told me Dwarf/Angora at the shelter but it is highly likely they were mistaken. He markings are Dutch, it doesn't even make sense they said Dwarf/Angora, he HAS to be at least part Dutch.

He isn't poofy, he has short hair but it is UNBELIEVABLY soft and silky, it is noticably more silky than the fur on our Dutch rabbit. The hair around his face is a tiny bit longer, it just looks like his hair is a little messy and he has messy mutton chops, but not a noticable mane like with lionheads.

There is no excess hair at all under his chin, it's only a funny little tuft on the top of his head and the mutton chops.

IMO I think he is part Dutch, he has tan dutch markings and then either some lion head or angora. Oh and he barely sheds, almost no shedding at all and our Dutch sheds like mad.

He has these funny stripes on his back hips, they are grey on one side and silvery on the other. He has a light grey blob behind one ear and his back feet are different colors.

He is quite the cutie

ETA:

Oohhh...

http://rarebitsandpieces.com/harlequindutch.htm

He's a tri-color dutch.

Those aren't on the ARBA website no wonder I didn't realise it. I saw Harlequins but the pics I saw were spotty looking harlequins and I didn't even look into it more.

He is DEFINATELY at least *part* tri-color Dutch. His fur is not as thick as my Dutch rabbit's and is more silky.

#16 of 29 Old 06-20-2007, 05:42 PM

I contacted a breeder who has tri-color dutch rabbits and as it turns out, some do have fine/silky coats.

I am not sure he is just tri-color due to the little tufts but it is good to know at least some of his breed.

#17 of 29 Old 06-21-2007, 11:35 AM
Banned

bunnies are simply the best. my guy is sacked out on the floor next to me, having just enjoyed his morning salad.
#18 of 29 Old 06-21-2007, 05:55 PM

Two house rabbits here, Hopper is a rex / lopp mix and is 7lbs, Ginger is pure-breed French lopp and is 13lbs. Check my sig for pics.

Mama to Hailey Rose '02 Pro- crunchy
#19 of 29 Old 06-25-2007, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookGoddess View Post
I have a 7 year old female Mini Lop named Smokey. I've had two other bunnies but one passed away to old age and the other died from the E.Cuniculi protozoa. Smokey is an indoor bunny. I got her from a local animal shelter when she was just around 30 days old. All my bunnies came from an animal shelter. Smokey is the only female rabbit I've had. She's a very stubborn bunny, much more cautious than the two boy bunnies I've owned. She is litter box trained as were my other rabbits. It was so easy to get them to use a litter box. I think it's going to be harder to teach my daughter to use the potty.

I would love to adopt another bunny, especially as a companion to Smokey, but my DH would have a fit. He asked me, very nicely, not to get another rabbit when Smokey passes on. I promised but I didn't promise on behalf of my daughter. She already shows a keen interest in rabbits. Maybe in the next few years, DD will want a bunny. :

It's really hard to find good quality timothy hay around here. I found it at a feed store about 5 miles from my home. The pet stores and supermarkets have very very old timothy hay. It's brown and stale looking. The feed store also sells timothy hay pellets.

Have you looked at the House Rabbit Society website? They have a lot of good information for indoor bunnies.
I'm a member of House Rabbit Society--I get the newsletter and email updates. I love the pics of bunnies that people send in!
Sometimes I am amazed at how they get some of those shots!
Both of my rabbits are what I call throw-away...my English spot came from the SPCA and my lilac literally showed up in my backyard! I am convinced that someone got him for Easter and then mom or dad turned him loose when it was realized how big he was getting or how much work they can be...or whatever. He weighs about 10 pounds. He's a monster! But OH so loving and so sweet!
I get all of my hay products, pellets and litter directly from Oxbow. Now, it's probably not the cheapest way to go (since it costs a lot to UPS stuff to us but in my defense I buy in bulk)--my vet sells 50 pound boxes of Timothy from Oxbow (which is what I buy, that and orchard grass and oat hay for a treat now and then--and they love the papaya pellets too--a couple each night as a treat)...but the vet works in the cost of shipping, so by the time I drive all the way across town with two small kids in the car and lug those massive boxes into my van, forget it--for a few extra bucks I'll let the UPS man deliver it straight to my front door (besides, he's pretty hot--the UPS man that is, nice legs).
So glad to see other rabbit lovers!
I would love a lionhead---they are SO cute but I agree with the other poster who said that the larger breeds seem to have the milder temperments--that is certainly the case with my buns.
#20 of 29 Old 06-25-2007, 04:54 PM

I go to a local feed store, one that one of my Rabbit's breeders go to. I buy a 40lb bale of hay that I can use as bedding and to eat. They also have something called Albert's Double Duty which are the pellets and are store specific. I used to give them a variety of fresh each day, but it became too difficult since I used a large selection and would carefully wash and prepare them. But they're spoiled anyway!

Mama to Hailey Rose '02 Pro- crunchy
#21 of 29 Old 06-25-2007, 10:15 PM

I went to my local feedstore and bought a 90 lb bale of Bermuda grass hay and it has lasted a long time and will keep on lasting. I keep it dry and clean and it still smells fresh and Kahlua still loves it just as much as the first day.

#22 of 29 Old 06-26-2007, 12:11 AM

My feed store sells Timothy hay and pellets.

#23 of 29 Old 06-26-2007, 09:30 AM
Banned

i find the whole easter-rabbit thing to be so frustrating.
#24 of 29 Old 06-26-2007, 12:57 PM

I know, people are so thoughtless. Rabbits are not like a Christmas tree or something

#25 of 29 Old 06-26-2007, 01:13 PM
Banned

true.

i have a question for ya'll.

my bunny is a full-on free roamer who currently has decided that litter boxes are so passe! beyond the varios things we're doing to encourage him back into the pattern of using his boxes, i find that even so, he's always been a bit messy.

currently, we sweep twice or three times a day to keep up with bunny poop, and follow this up with a wipe up of any dried on from wet poop and urine that missed the boxes. right now, he's peeing in rooms that he's never done before; he'll just go where ever.

ok, so, how do i manage this lovely guy--whom i think should remain a free roamer as he is my 10 yr old darling and has never lived any other way--and a baby?

seriously. . .do i have to jail him?
#26 of 29 Old 06-28-2007, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Zoebird--a friend of mine told me to put the majority of the hay for your bun IN the litter box to entice him/her back in (and to use it).
This worked for mine--who are also free-range rabbits.
I would so love a third rabbit, but it took me almost nine months to bond the two I have now...but oh, if one of them passes, I am worried sick about getting another one--but hopefully that is many years away.

Here's another tip--at night, my buns sleep in a baby pool--I have a baby pool inside the house with one of those exercise puppy pens around it--for some reason the x-pen fits perfectly around it. So the bunnies stay clean inside the pool and there is plenty of room for them to run and play--they can't get out with the x-pen around the pool. When fall or spring comes along, I put the x-pen in the yard and sit outside with them for an hour or so and let them enjoy the great outdoors. So, Zoebird, if your rabbits need to be jailed, that is one way to do it--the babypool is large enough to hold a full size cat litter box and they still have plenty of room. hope this helps.
#27 of 29 Old 06-28-2007, 06:30 PM

We buy our hay, and apple sticks, from Farmer Dave

http://myworld.ebay.com/fmrdave
#28 of 29 Old 01-09-2014, 09:44 PM

#29 of 29 Old 01-09-2014, 09:51 PM

we have kits right now they are so adorable! Our 2 girl bunnies ended up not being girls after all lol . I can't decide who is more adorable my dogs or rabbits. They are litter boxed trained but don't roam free because they tend to chew wires when unsupervised, them and my dog Benny play together it's seriously adorable. He also helps grooms the kits they are older now. We use Timothy hay and also pellet feed from the grange. They also LOVE apples but are not huge carrot fans.... go figure. The girls want to enter our buck in the mixed breed category for 4-H :)  Yes we are going to have her spaded. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page