OK, I NEED to get rid of my cat- what are my options PLEASE HELP - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 07-02-2007, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wanted to avoid taking him back to the shelter, but I have come to a dead end. I have posted ads on craigslist, posted ads in local workplaces, asked friends and family, and tried to make the situation work. This cat will NOT stop running out the door, and where we live he is going to get killed. Yesterday he ran out so fast I tripped and scraped my DD's leg against the door, causing her to scream.

We got him from the SPCA.

Help!

Amy, mommy to Ava, 6, Gavin, 4, Lila, 2, and Baby #4 due in early November! joy.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 27 Old 07-02-2007, 09:06 AM

I'm pretty much in the same boat.... so no help here, sorry. I'm going to lurk and see if you get any good ideas.

I grew up with cats and never had a problem. Now, I have an allergy and it just keeps getting worse. My eyes burn all the time, I am sneezing, I have a sore throat constantly and am tired. Now the glands in my neck have been swollen for 3 weeks and in my chest and armpits for one week. The allergy is getting worse and worse.

I live where they could be outside cats. And, I guess I'll ask in a thread how to transition them.

:
#3 of 27 Old 07-02-2007, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourgrtkidos View Post
I'm pretty much in the same boat.... so no help here, sorry. I'm going to lurk and see if you get any good ideas.

I grew up with cats and never had a problem. Now, I have an allergy and it just keeps getting worse. My eyes burn all the time, I am sneezing, I have a sore throat constantly and am tired. Now the glands in my neck have been swollen for 3 weeks and in my chest and armpits for one week. The allergy is getting worse and worse.

I live where they could be outside cats. And, I guess I'll ask in a thread how to transition them.

:
they make allergy medicine these days!
#4 of 27 Old 07-02-2007, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amila View Post
I wanted to avoid taking him back to the shelter, but I have come to a dead end. I have posted ads on craigslist, posted ads in local workplaces, asked friends and family, and tried to make the situation work. This cat will NOT stop running out the door, and where we live he is going to get killed. Yesterday he ran out so fast I tripped and scraped my DD's leg against the door, causing her to scream.

We got him from the SPCA.

Help!

confused... you need to get rid of the cat because it tries to get out? Or because it tripped your daughter? baffled... really!
#5 of 27 Old 07-02-2007, 11:00 AM

Amila, Do you have a room you can set up (at least partially) as his own "cat room"? When you leave, he goes into his room (which will have at his water and litter) so that you can go in and out without worrying about him running out. When you're home and you know people won't be in and out a lot, he gets the run of the house.

We do this with out kitties for several reasons. 1) so they don't run out the door like your guy. We live in an area with lots of feral cats and stray dogs and they wouldn't last a half hour outside here. 2) they are destructive as all git out! If we don't watch them, cat shenanigans ensue as they attempt to rid all shelves of their contents.

They love their cat room and aren't traumatized by having to stay there when we're gone or asleep.

If you can't do that or are adamant about giving him up, is your SPCA a no kill shelter? If so, you may be obligated to return him to them. If they are a kill shelter, please don't take him back. Start looking into local no kill rescues/shelters and see if you can get a courtesy listing. This time of year you probably won't find a no kill who can take him as it's kitten season and they're likely to be packed. Also try talking to vet's offices (specifically yours) to see if they place cats.

~Julia
#6 of 27 Old 07-02-2007, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlutgendorf View Post
Amila, Do you have a room you can set up (at least partially) as his own "cat room"? When you leave, he goes into his room (which will have at his water and litter) so that you can go in and out without worrying about him running out. When you're home and you know people won't be in and out a lot, he gets the run of the house.

I second this one whole heartedly!!!

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#7 of 27 Old 07-02-2007, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edamommy View Post
they make allergy medicine these days!
That's not fair...some people are severely allergic! I am all for dealing with it if the allergy is mild, but I have a cousin who literally can't breath around cats & if exposed a long while would need medical attention. Though, I'm pretty sure if the OP had a REAL bad allergy she'd likely have known before adopting the kitty...

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#8 of 27 Old 07-02-2007, 10:33 PM

My cat is 16 years old, and I still trip over him on a daily basis.

Is your kitty neutered?
#9 of 27 Old 07-02-2007, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlutgendorf View Post
I agree -- OP, please try to come up with a solution for this problem before just dumping the poor cat. As someone in another thread said, pets are inconvenient, messy, etc., but we choose to take them into our homes anyway, and that commitment shouldn't be taken so lightly.

If a pet is intentionally harming a person, then obviously some action must be taken, but if it's committing minor offenses like trying to get out the front door, it's truly shocking to me that someone's first reaction would be to get rid of the pet.

Honestly, when I read this thread's title I thought you were going to say that the cat was continually scratching your child, or that you had to move suddenly and were heartbroken that you couldn't take the cat with you. And then I read that the cat is ... trying to get out the front door. I have to say, it was really anticlimactic and confusing. This is an abandonable offense? Really??

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#10 of 27 Old 07-03-2007, 11:47 AM

Read the OP's other thread...she already found a farm that would take the cat.

And to the OP...please don't get any other pets, okay? It sounds like you have no concept of what it's like to share your home with an animal. I'm baffled that you wanted to ditch that cat because it tripped you.

DS born 4 May 2013.
#11 of 27 Old 07-04-2007, 05:59 PM

:

I'm a bit astonished at some of the responses in this thread.

Seems perfectly clear to me that the OP is not wanting to get rid of the cat because it tripped her, but is wanting to get rid of it because:

Quote:
This cat will NOT stop running out the door, and where we live he is going to get killed.
#12 of 27 Old 07-05-2007, 11:11 AM

I'm also confused. There are a number of creative ways to prevent a cat from escaping. Many, many indoor cats will try to escape--that isn't unusual at all.

I also expected a serious behavior problem, allergy, etc., but this problem is very fixable! We'd love to help you brainstorm if you are still interested in keeping your cat.

Quote:
This cat will NOT stop running out the door, and where we live he is going to get killed.
That would indeed be upsetting but this problem can be solved, which is why people are confused.

Personally I would just secure the cat in another part of the house when I left. Second choice would be to use baby gates to create a "buffer zone" two feet in front of the door (so I had enough room to step inside, close the front door behind me, and open the baby gate in front of me). If you want to change the behavior, you could install a simple screen door hinged on the inside so you can open the front door, look inside to see if the kitty is waiting, and keep a spray bottle of water by the door to give him a blast through the screen until he backs off. Most likely that last one would radically diminish his interest in escaping! These were just idea's off the top of my head, and I would try them all, and many more, before thinking about rehoming the cat. The op didn't say what she tried already, so that is why people are confused and upset.

Mother is the word for God on the hearts and lips of all little children--William Makepeace Thackeray
#13 of 27 Old 07-05-2007, 02:34 PM

The OP has already placed the cat with someone else. She said so in another thread.

Ann-Marita. I deleted my usual signature due to, oh, wait, if I say why, that might give too much away. 

#14 of 27 Old 07-05-2007, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJamie View Post
:

I'm a bit astonished at some of the responses in this thread.

Seems perfectly clear to me that the OP is not wanting to get rid of the cat because it tripped her, but is wanting to get rid of it because:

"This cat will NOT stop running out the door, and where we live he is going to get killed."
Yeah, I got that part, and was still shocked and dismayed that her initial reaction was "Get rid of the cat." There are plenty of ways to stop a cat from escaping out the front door. Crate it, leash it, hold it, shut it in the next room, etc. etc. etc... Getting rid of it should never be the first reaction to a problem as mild as this one. Despite her quote above, I don't believe that the cat's well-being is her only concern; she just thinks the cat is a hassle and decided to dump it.

I saw the other thread where she stated that she gave the cat away, and as I said there, I'm glad that the cat is going to a home where it'll be given a life better than the one the OP would have provided. She should not be a pet owner. Harsh? Yeah, but so is trashing an animal who isn't even guilty of doing anything wrong, IMO.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#15 of 27 Old 07-05-2007, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post
She should not be a pet owner. Harsh? Yeah, but so is trashing an animal who isn't even guilty of doing anything wrong, IMO.
Amen.
#16 of 27 Old 09-30-2007, 09:40 AM

Wow, I wouldn't have come back to this thread either if I was the OP.

Personally I'm new to owning an animal and perhaps her or others (including myself ) wouldn't know of what solutions there were to avoid it running outside into what the OP obviously feels is a dangerous area for the cat...maybe suggesting solutions would have been better rather than making it out to seem she was a horrible person for even considering giving the pet away. :

I Konw this thread is old but I just could not read and not respond.

Edited to add: What if others read this thread and think whoa I better not post asking for help with xyz or I'll get eaten alive/

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#17 of 27 Old 09-30-2007, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neveryoumindthere View Post
Edited to add: What if others read this thread and think whoa I better not post asking for help with xyz or I'll get eaten alive/
:

Shooot... this is my first time in this section of MDC and I was shocked!
#18 of 27 Old 09-30-2007, 07:54 PM

These pets people don't fool around (would you go into lactivism and ask about formula? sorta the same thing as coming here and asking how to easily get rid of your pet), but they also give really great advice on managing the animals you have, how to choose a new pet, will hopefully make some people think twice before adopting pets at all.
#19 of 27 Old 09-30-2007, 08:10 PM

What sets this forum off is the "I gotta get rid of this XXX" and then they list a problem that's totally solveable. It would in fact be like going to the breastfeeding forum and posting "My nipples are cracked--help me switch to bottles!" It's hard to say "Oh, poor thing, let me help you wean" or "let me help you rehome your cat" when there is absolutely no reason to do so.

If you come on this forum and say "I have XXX horribly complicated problem and am at the end of my rope, help!" we will bend over backwards to help. We may even suggest rehoming, if that is justified in the situation. There have been some very good threads on the topic of rehoming, how to do it right, when it becomes a lost cause, etc. But no, we don't generally contribute to "support" threads for "getting rid of" an animal because there are snags that can totally be overcome.
#20 of 27 Old 09-30-2007, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekimballs View Post
What sets this forum off is the "I gotta get rid of this XXX" and then they list a problem that's totally solveable. It would in fact be like going to the breastfeeding forum and posting "My nipples are cracked--help me switch to bottles!" It's hard to say "Oh, poor thing, let me help you wean" or "let me help you rehome your cat" when there is absolutely no reason to do so.

If you come on this forum and say "I have XXX horribly complicated problem and am at the end of my rope, help!" we will bend over backwards to help. We may even suggest rehoming, if that is justified in the situation. There have been some very good threads on the topic of rehoming, how to do it right, when it becomes a lost cause, etc. But no, we don't generally contribute to "support" threads for "getting rid of" an animal because there are snags that can totally be overcome.

:
#21 of 27 Old 09-30-2007, 11:50 PM

What Joanna said!
#22 of 27 Old 10-01-2007, 08:59 AM

I second what Joanna said! We've also had posts where the cat/dog was sort of a secondary issue as well. Such as, mom with new baby and little support, being overly stressed...then add to that taking care of cat/dog stuff on top of it mom feels so stressed she wants to get rid of the pet.

Most pet owners LOVE their pets and would give a workable solution a try first. Sometimes people get so ingrossed, emotional and overwhelmed by a situation that they can't see the light out of the tunnel...and see that they have other options.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#23 of 27 Old 10-01-2007, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatchristy View Post
Sometimes people get so ingrossed, emotional and overwhelmed by a situation that they can't see the light out of the tunnel...and see that they have other options.
I've been in that state of mind (often fueled by stress and depression), and you know, I REALLY owe a lot to those who took the time to show me another way.
#24 of 27 Old 10-01-2007, 10:31 AM

I agree, when I'm stressed out I can't even see clearly let alone think straight. What I'm saying is some of the responses are just "said" in such a rude tone that I'd worry even ppl who are stressed out might not come for advice and just make the decision to get rid of their pet to ease some of the 'burden' they got going on.

Sorry if i'm not being coherent. Up late and woke up early..

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#25 of 27 Old 10-01-2007, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekimballs View Post

Well said! I am very sensitive about people dumping their pets. I have adopted many that were dumped at our house or that we rescued that were incredibly good animals. I have been at the end of my rope many times, and it is nice coming somewhere like this where you get a wake up call. It's *not* the pet, it's everything else stressing you, and it's good to see a solution and to see how ridiculous you are being at the moment. With my lab/bc mix, I go through that a lot.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#26 of 27 Old 02-08-2014, 07:43 PM

LOOK I AM NEW TO THIS SIDE  . I LOVE  ALL MY CATS BUT CAUSE I LIVE IN A HOMES WEST HOUSE THEY SAY I NEED TO GET RID OF MY CATS  I HAVE A 11 OF THEM .  THEY ONLY WANT ME TO KEEP ABOUT 3 OR 4 OF THEM  SO I NEED HELP  SO CAN SOME ONE HELP ME  ?  I HAVE NOT GOT A CAR TO TAKE THEM TO A CAT HAVEN SO I WAS WONDERING WHETHER  ANY ONE WANTS A CAT  CAN U PLEASE LET ME NO ASAP 

#27 of 27 Old 06-26-2014, 04:08 PM

Exclamation Cute cat who gets away with everything.

I have a cat who's over a year old and I love her to no end. However, within the past few months, my patience have been running thin with her. She's been chewing on cords to phone and computer chargers, ripping up carpet (even in front of us), throwing up constantly (even after taking her to the vet twice, but to much avail...no known cause and spending $850-900 in a 6 month time period), and just damaging everything in sight. Especially after her sister died a couple of weeks ago, her behavior has gotten worse. She's the most loving and sweetest cat ever, but her habits completely turned me off. What could I do as far as giving her away to a loving family? I desperately need H.E.L.P :'(

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page