Do indoor cats really need annual vax? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 08-10-2007, 10:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You know it all depends on the risks you are willing to take, just like vaxing your own kids. If you vax your kids/cats you are taking the risk of the vax plus getting the illness and if you don't then you risk you kids/cats catching whatever they were supposed to be vaxed for.

I personally have 3 cats all indoor/outdoor cats. I hate kitty litter so when they are old enough they are encouraged to go outside to use the potty. My female cats are 10, 3, and 2. After they get fixed and a rabies shot I don't take them to the vet anymore, even to get a rabies booster. They all appear to be healthy and I know they are happy.

My MIL had a cat a couple of years ago that they religiously took to the vet, got all his shots plus extras, spoiled him rotten and only lived 2 years. He got some urinary tract problem, twice. The first time they paid over $1000 for surgery to remove the problem, but after the second time they decided it must be his time to go. He was a indoor/outdoor cat but only stayed in the yard when he was outside. I'm sure there are stories for both shots and no shots like this one.

Getting cats' shots doesn't necessarily mean that they'll live longer, healthier lives from my experience. The last 2 cats didn't even go to the vet while they were kittens. I went to the tractor supply store and gave them their first shots myself. I haven't done any research on vaxes for pets. This is only from my years of living with cats.
#32 of 35 Old 08-11-2007, 02:41 AM

Vaccine Guide for Dogs and Cats what Every Pet Lover Should Know. They have it at Amazon, get it, read it. There is no difference between a 1 year and a 3 year rabies vax. It is the exact same vax and the timing is determined by local government.
#33 of 35 Old 08-11-2007, 02:45 AM

We do vax every 3 years since ours occasionally slip out. Research has shown the vax actually protect for that long.

Kris wife to Stew and mom to Joey 8/03 who cares for , 2 frogs and a worm
#34 of 35 Old 08-11-2007, 02:46 AM

My indoor cats, who have been with me since they were kittens, are not vaccinated. I also do not take them to the vet unless there is something wrong.
#35 of 35 Old 08-12-2007, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatchristy View Post
I posted the AAFP guidelines on page 1 of this thread...:

http://www.cfa.org/articles/health/v...ecommendations

It basically summarizes what the DVM above said.
Sorry missed that. Thank you!

GREAT MOM to dd (5) and )ds( [sept 26 2006]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page