Any other adopters of puppymill rescues? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-28-2007, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We just got our new guy last Sunday. He has no teeth, and we are figuring out how to adjust to that. He has no problem with his food as long as it is small enough...as a typical Pom, he inhales it, no chewing necessary. (I think he likes blueberries, but he's not sure about grated carrots yet.) He doesn't play with toys much right now, but he does have his favorite from his foster home.

Anyway, I thought we could share ideas, stories, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 07-28-2007, 08:57 PM

We have a Rhodesian Ridgeback we are pretty sure is from a backyard puppy mill. Our area is notorious for puppy mills, it's really sad. We got her from the SPCA, who said she was turned in as a stray... however they suspected that the person who brought her in was really the breeder or a pet shop rep. Our shelter gets a lot of large puppies from pet stores that do not sell within the "cute" time frame. She is "imperfect", only has one distinct whorl, a narrow ridge, her ears do not lay quite right and she is small. When I took her back for her shots and talked some more with the vet, the lady said that she thinks Ruby was the runt and they could not sell her. She said usually these imperfect dogs are just killed, so Ruby lucked out by being brought in. The other two shelters in the area also each got one RR each within three months, which is really unusual. One dog was Ruby's age and one was old enough to have been bred. The other pup had the same imperfections as Ruby.

She was about 3 months old when we got her. She had obviously never been in a house before, or near people much. She didn't know what steps were, she was afraid of toys and balls, didn't like walking on anything but the wood floor, and freaked out anytime she saw her reflection. She is still skittish and shy, but is MUCH improved. It took forever to housebreak her (although I understand this is not unusual for the breed), and she was a terrible counter surfer, but she is a bright dog who caught on to basic obedience quickly. We love her, and she fits right in with our imperfect family

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
#3 of 3 Old 07-29-2007, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Fleecy Jack is 7&1/2yo and was rescued directly from a puppymiller in Kansas City. His fosterer started him on housebreaking, and I think he's doing very well. He's a little sweety and fits right in with the craziness of this family.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page