How do you tell a 2yr old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-03-2007, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well she's almost 3yrs (aug. 12th, yikes, where'd my baby go), but i wrote a few days ago that my dog died, and i'd like to mention i got unbelievable support, THANK YOU! But now i have a new problem, my dd always asks where he is, i've tried to tell her but she doesn't understand, we haven't talked had to her about death yet cuz we thought she was too young, My dad said to tell her he went to live with someone else, but i don't want to do that, in fact several people told me something similar to that, Do you think i should? I'm really not crazy about the idea but i need to explain something to her.
#2 of 4 Old 08-03-2007, 01:56 PM

I told my son that our dog was running free with other dogs in this special dog place where they had so much fun! I basically described doggie heaven. I didn't feel like it was lying because I believe its true in a sense. He was really happy when I explained it all to him.

Alicia mama to 3 boys 6 and under.
#3 of 4 Old 08-03-2007, 02:58 PM

Can you tell her story of the rainbow bridge? Explain that when animals get very old or very sick, they get to go to rainbow bridge where they can be young and healthy again.

When she keeps asking, just keep reminding her. Eventually as she gets older, she'll understand, but maybe a story like that will help her visualize somewhere "concrete" that your pup has gone that not a lie (well, depending on your beliefs of course).

Google the rainbow bridge story to read to her. Condolences on the loss of your dog.

~Julia
#4 of 4 Old 08-03-2007, 03:56 PM

They don't get it at all, it's just that age. I know because when one of my cats passed my DD was at that age and she just "didn't get it" at all. In fact, they kept on asking, for maybe about 2 weeks. I told them simply that he had died and wouldn't be with us anymore. It was the finality that they didn't seem to grasp.

The really sad thing is, they actually FORGOT the cat. Sigh. I have pictures, and they would ask...who is that cat? I would tell them, but they wouldn't remember, which is honestly harder on me than them. I wish they remembered!

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page