My doggy has a tumor on her eye - again. *Good update in post 11* - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-04-2007, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am so sad right now Our dog had a tumor form on her eye last year. They were able to remove it and keep her eye. The vet said if it came back, they may need to remove her eye. It stayed gone more than a year, and she seemed to keep most of her vision.

This morning I noticed a lot of discharge coming from both eyes, and so I inspected them both. Her tumor is back in the exact same spot. I would hate for her to lose her eye, but that it isn't the end of the world. I am just so scared of losing her. I have never in my life loved a dog like I love her, and I am actually tearing up just writing this. She is only two years old and we very much plan on having for for another 12+ years.

Please think good thoughts for our doggy. We'll be taking her to the vet to get it checked out next week and hope for the best.

Here is a picture of her - http://www.flickr.com/photos/camelliamama/1001960288/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2007, 08:03 PM

So sorry to hear about your baby. I totally know what you mean about the love that you feel for a furry baby... it is like no other.

PS- she is beautiful!

Kim, proud CPS mom to Marnie and my 4 legged kids, Jess, Zander, Oliver, Stumpy and Eddie.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thank-you Kim I appreciate the hug and the kind words. I'll update here when I know more and will be praying for the best outcome possible.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:46 PM

I used to work at a vet clinic and you would be surprised how well dogs do with only one eye. Poor baby girl. Was it cancerous?

Kim, proud CPS mom to Marnie and my 4 legged kids, Jess, Zander, Oliver, Stumpy and Eddie.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

They didn't test the first tumor they took out. They said if it came back, they would test it. I am sure she would do fine with one eye, it would just suck for her to lose it, obviously. It also doesn't help that she is a pit with a scar on her head already. With all the dog fighting rings in our area, we'd probably be investigated if a police officer saw her.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:06 PM

: Sorry to hear about the tumor. I hope they only take the tumor and not the eye too.

Let us know, when you know more.

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
Old 08-04-2007, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrine View Post
: Sorry to hear about the tumor. I hope they only take the tumor and not the eye too.

Let us know, when you know more.
Hi Sand!

Thanks for the hug. I'll be sure to update.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:21 PM

I remember when you got her.

I'm sure she is a big part of your family's life.

(want to chat on yahoo?? I'm online.)

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
Old 08-04-2007, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I remember when you got her.

I'm sure she is a big part of your family's life.

(want to chat on yahoo?? I'm online.)
She really is

Can you add me as lindsaylou97330 ?
Old 08-05-2007, 02:27 PM

Wow, your dog is really cute. I had a friend who had a cat who had to have an eye removed, and the cat did amazingly well (no problem) without it.

Incidentally, a friend of the family also had an eye removed as he had ocular cancer (they didn't know for sure it was cancer...tried radiation therapy first, but it eventually got bigger). It was actually an "outpatient procedure" for him!

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

Old 08-19-2007, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Update:

My husband suggested that we keep her out of the sun for a few days and see if her eye got better - and it did!

She has such fair skin that we do have to monitor how much time she sun bathes. The rims of her eyes are the most sensitive area. I didn't think it would affect the inside of her eye, and with her past tumor removal I assumed the worse.

It's been gone for awhile now though, so hopefully limited sun exposure is our long term solution

Thank-you for all the positive thoughts. I know they really worked.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:12 PM

That's great news. I'm happy to know that by just having her not be in the sun as long is three result to have it be gone.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

Well, the tumor came back quickly and it was pretty big this time. She had surgery today to remove the tumor on her eye, a piece of the third eye lid, and a growth on her head. The vet says if the one on her head returns, that is very bad sign.

Now to watch and wait. Any positive thoughts for my girl are greatly appreciated.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:10 AM

Thinking of her, you and your family. :

Old 11-14-2007, 01:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thinking of her, you and your family. :
Thanks Sand. I should just start pm'ing you with updates You seem to be the only one following my poor dog's saga.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:30 AM

:

Old 11-14-2007, 02:15 AM

Following saga and sending hugs. I had a dog who had en eye removed - it was totally worth it. Bought him another happy year... My friends all teased me since I spent a semester in college trying to teach the poor beast to wink and then a few years later had to have the eye out. Anyway... living proof that dogs can do well with only one eye. I'm not on MDC much these days, but if you need support you can PM me.

mom to a 7 year old lego fanatic and a 5 year old cross dresser
Old 11-14-2007, 02:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the support everyone. I would be happy to have her eye removed if it bought her some quality time. If it comes to that, we will discuss it and decide what's best. We may just end up having to have the thing removed once a year, and that's fine too as long as she is living happily in between surgeries.

User Tag List