Cat claw injury....(updated) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-27-2007, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
***update in post 4***

I'm not sure what I should do. I noticed tonight that my male cat has an injury on his paw. First of all, he has a claw that looks odd - this is my fault I think - I've neglected trimming for a while (just didn't realize it had been so long ) so that one looks like it is curling over a bit / overgrown - and then right next to that there was some crusted looking "dirt". I tried to wipe it and he didn't want me to touch it - but I did a little and then it started seeping a bit of blood - so I think it was just dried blood I was wiping.

I think the injury is from the claw next to the overgrown one - or from in between them, I can't get a great look at it.

I really can't take him to the vet right now. First of all, it is HUGELY stressful on him and he is very old (15) so I don't want to unless I really need to. Also, I need DH to be here to help with DD if I do take him because it is a major stressful ordeal to get him into his carrier. That isn't even possible until Sunday.

Should I keep trying to clean it? Should I just leave it alone? How am I going to deal with the overgrown claw? It loks uncomfortable, but I know I won't be able to trim it with his normal trimmers.

Is there something I could put on it? Peroxide maybe? I was thinking of an antibiotic cream, but he'd probably lick it off. I usually do herbal remedies for minor things here but am not very up on using herbs for pets, so I don't want to do any harm of course.

I feel so awful that this happened. I want him to be better!

What should I do?

Thanks for any input!

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#2 of 4 Old 09-27-2007, 11:54 PM

If his claw has truely overgrown to the point that its curled into the paw pad, it has to be clipped. These kinds of injuries can become infected quite easily, and it could be horrible in such an old guy. Im sure its very painful, and its possible that he injured his other paw pads by trying to chew the one claw out. If you can do it safely, you could try to clip it on your own , clean the wound and put some triple antibiotic cream on it. But having a vet/vet tech do it would be easier and they could check his paw for you and trim his other nails to boot. If youre worried it will be very stressful for him, maybe you can call your vet and see if they can recommend or prescribe a mild sedative for him? But with his age (and any other health issues) they may not want to. Definatly call ahead and try and get a relatively quite time, so that you can be seen quickly.
#3 of 4 Old 09-28-2007, 07:30 AM

Ok, you need to clip the overgrown claw. You should have a good set of claw clippers, right? You need to clip them. I usually clip mine using my right hand holding the clipper underneath the nail to start...if it is overgrown and curled in, you'll have to start from the top.

Make sure to avoid the "quick", which is the pink nerve dense area. But I'd clip all the nails. To clean the scabbed areas if you wish, you could make a dilute hydrogen peroxide solution (add some water to some) and then rinse it. You could put some triple antibiotic on it if you wish as well.

After this, consider clipping the front claws once a week and then the rear at least once a month.

Do you have a good scratching post? That too will help keep them shorter longer.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#4 of 4 Old 10-03-2007, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I just wanted to update that I decided to take him into the vet and let them check it out and take care of it. As an older kitty, his nails sometimes split when i trim them, and I was afraid I would just make the overgrown claw worse. He was definitely stressed, but he made it through OK and they cleaned up and trimmed his other claws too so that was very nice. They also went ahead and gave me some antibiotics for him. There wasn't any obvious to me signs of infection (though the vet said it was), but he has rarely been medicated and I thought this seemed like an appropriate measure to take. He seems much better now, and I vow to make sure to trim him - AND his sister - regularly like I used to and not let this happen again.

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page