Should I get a male or female cat? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Should I get a male or female cat?
Male 11 61.11%
Female 7 38.89%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 10-01-2007, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I plan on adopting a kitten soon, and can't decide on a male or female. What would you reccomend and why? I have a 2 year old son, and live in the country.
#2 of 18 Old 10-01-2007, 05:50 PM

I voted male but I wanted to vote either. I have had both and both make good pets. I worry with male cats that they could become blocked with bladder stones but as long as they are on the right food, it is more preventable.

Kim, proud CPS mom to Marnie and my 4 legged kids, Jess, Zander, Oliver, Stumpy and Eddie.
#3 of 18 Old 10-01-2007, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianchick View Post
I voted male but I wanted to vote either. I have had both and both make good pets. I worry with male cats that they could become blocked with bladder stones but as long as they are on the right food, it is more preventable.
Yep, that's the only issue here, FUS. From experience I'd say that females tend to be a bit more reserved and cautious. But, I don't know if that is the experience most people have or what.

I personally go for adults as you know the personality up front.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#4 of 18 Old 10-01-2007, 06:15 PM

I've found males to be slightly friendlier and cuddlier as well, but it's not a huge difference.
#5 of 18 Old 10-01-2007, 06:18 PM

I have one of each.
Their personalities have nothing whatsoever to do with their gender.

I voted male because:
it's cheaper to neuter a male than a female.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#6 of 18 Old 10-01-2007, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myjulybabes View Post
I've found males to be slightly friendlier and cuddlier as well, but it's not a huge difference.
That was what I was trying to say...: .

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#7 of 18 Old 10-01-2007, 09:46 PM

Either. Either can get bladder infections or stones, but males have a higher risk, which can be lowered depending on food. Males tend to be slightly friendlier on average, but not by any huge margin. Males are also cheaper to neuter -- and may I take the time to please say, spay or neuter, regardless of your new friend
#8 of 18 Old 10-01-2007, 09:49 PM

I would say either also. We have 2 of each. We have one super cuddly girl and one super cuddly boy. The other boy and girl aren't so snuggly/hold me/play ball with me as the other two cats. So I think you could go either way and be fine!! Good luck with your new kitty!

~Rose~ 

Homeschooling Mom to Two Boys, 13 & 9. rainbow1284.gif Baby Girl Arriving April 2013!

#9 of 18 Old 10-01-2007, 10:21 PM

Having had plenty of both, I really don't have a preference. The only reason I might prefer a male over a female is that they tend to be bigger and squishier for snuggling
#10 of 18 Old 10-01-2007, 10:58 PM

I've always tended to like male cats because they do seem friendlier on average but my experiences are somewhat limited. I've got one cat, a guy and he's very smart and affectionate.

~Stephanie )O(

DS- 07/01 & DD- 09/05 & DD- 12/07 & DS- 10/13

#11 of 18 Old 10-01-2007, 11:43 PM

I don't think gender matters- just find one with a good personality.
An adult cat is generally more laid back, in my experience, than a kitten. That is what I would recommend with a young child.
Absolutely spay or neuter whatever cat you get.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#12 of 18 Old 10-03-2007, 12:00 AM

Currentlly I have 2 of each. My boy kitties are loveable and tolerate most things. My girls only want to be loved on when they want to be loved on. My cats all come when called (most of the time). My boys are my favorites.
#13 of 18 Old 10-03-2007, 10:19 AM

I would recommend male, because IME they are friendlier and more willing to be loved on when YOU want to be affectionate and not just when they feel like it. My girl cat can be very affectionate, but you know, on her terms. My big boy cat will come running down the stairs and leap into your lap if you call him.
#14 of 18 Old 10-03-2007, 10:21 AM

I think that it doesn't matter, but you should get a pair of kittens. They're much more fun than one at a time and, honestly, less work. We have two male/female pairs and they're all total love-muffins.
#15 of 18 Old 10-03-2007, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
I think that it doesn't matter, but you should get a pair of kittens. They're much more fun than one at a time and, honestly, less work. We have two male/female pairs and they're all total love-muffins.
I agree with frog. It's always nice to get animals in pairs so no matter how busy life gets, they will always have each other for love and play.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#16 of 18 Old 10-03-2007, 04:28 PM

My male was always more aloof than my female. That's his personality. When I adopted my female, I went to the shelter about 3 times looking for a more cuddly cat that would bring out his soft side. She was cuddly alright, but he was still aloof. He was beautiful though. He got by on his looks .
#17 of 18 Old 10-03-2007, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I admit I'm pretty sexist when it comes to cats. My female cats are almost always crankier and not as good with kids. My male cats are little balls of love. So I prefer male cats. It really is dependent on that cat, though. That's just the general trend with my own.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#18 of 18 Old 10-03-2007, 11:01 PM

My male cats are friendlier with strangers than the females, but all have been good with us. One female cat loved us all, but was esp bonded to my oldest DD since her birth. (It's been 7 months since she was PTS and DD still talks about her daily. ). Our other female cat is friendly with us on her terms (she's reserved, not mean), but super dedicated to my oldest DD, who is 5. She's a calico, and I've heard that they can be more of a 1-person cat.

I think the best thing to do is go to a shelter with your DS, and spend a long time with the cats. You'll know which one is right for you.

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page