Rabbit support thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 114 Old 11-19-2007, 04:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What's your best trick for getting rabbit pee stains from the carpet? Since her illness, my bunny has had a few accidents. The carpet is a very pale gray blue so the stains show up. Luckily, they aren't in a high traffic area. Please tell me what you've used to clean up the stains. TIA!

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#62 of 114 Old 11-19-2007, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookGoddess View Post
What's your best trick for getting rabbit pee stains from the carpet? Since her illness, my bunny has had a few accidents. The carpet is a very pale gray blue so the stains show up. Luckily, they aren't in a high traffic area. Please tell me what you've used to clean up the stains. TIA!
Vinegar and baking soda or rubbing alcohol, you can then try an oxyclean carpet spot remover.

Mama to Hailey Rose '02 Pro- crunchy
#63 of 114 Old 11-20-2007, 03:29 PM

I have all three of those products at home. I'm going to give them a try this evening. Thanks!

#64 of 114 Old 11-20-2007, 11:43 PM

I'll join in. We don't have a rabbit, but some of you may remember my thread last month about whether a bunny would be a good fit for us.

I have since started volunteering at the Humane Society, mainly as a bunny volunteer. My younger two kids and I go in twice a week to socialize/exercise the bunnies. I am completely in love with a big, grumpy lop named Merlin. He is definitely a disapproving rabbit. Today when I went in (the fifth time), he seemed to recognize me, and when I was in the exercise pen with him, he was affectionate and seemed to be happier than he's been before. He was binking around, and hopping in circles around my feet, and he even put his feet up on my legs and stretched his nose up to my face and just looked at me for a long time. He was also chewing my clothes and head-butting my butt. Before this, he's consented to be petted but mainly ignored me. Today he seemed really interested in me.

Ramona, my five year old, is completely in love with a Californian named Manuela. She is a real snuggle-bunny. I held her for an hour last week and she was just as content as could be. She also hopped right out of the exercise pen, which surprised me, because she's pretty little. Ramona just can't get enough of smooching her. Manny is extremely mellow.

And we had a surprise when we went in today! Hobo, the HS's most recent arrival, surprised us all by having three babies! Everyone thought she was a boy! The babies are about the size of my thumb, with the tiniest little ears you've ever seen! They are definitely the wee-est buns ever.

So we are in bunny heaven around here, and even though I don't think a bunny would be a good addition to our family right now, we plan to continue our work at the Humane Society. I do seem to be allergic to bunnies, but mainly if I bury my face in their fur. If I keep them away from my eyes, I do ok.

Btw, when I called the city department here to inquire about having chickens, I was told that chickens are a no-no within the city limits but that we could have rabbits, provided that we had three or fewer, they lived indoors, and they all had names. Those are the criteria they have to meet to be "pets" and not be considered farmed (for food or fur) or bred (no breeding of bunnies for 4-H, etc., within the city limits).

dm
#65 of 114 Old 11-21-2007, 12:48 AM

Awww.... That is so great! I wish my ds was old enough to do something like that. Sounds like a great way to get kids used to the bunnies. Merlin seems like a real character. I'm looking to getting German Angora's from a breeder here in town. Want to be able to spin and sell the fiber. I'm still saving up for them though. Need to sell some stuff on e-bay. Since I want to get new cages and have an automatic water system and the rabbits will be a little pricey, but I want to get a black and a white one. Sigh..... I do want to have them inside some, but we are renting and have new carpet and the place is pretty small.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#66 of 114 Old 11-21-2007, 12:28 PM
Banned

that's awesome dharma mama. and it seems you have a new boyfriend.
#67 of 114 Old 11-21-2007, 01:56 PM

Well then it seems like I have boyfriends all over the place, because I also have a Trader Joe's boyfriend (his name is Marlon) and, of course, there's Keanu Reeves.

dm
#68 of 114 Old 11-21-2007, 07:10 PM
Banned

i think October J was definitely one of them. and those bunny-boys know how to romance!
#69 of 114 Old 11-23-2007, 03:58 PM

Awwww! Thanks for the update, Dharma mama (love your name btw!). You've come upon a great alternative to your desire to have a bunny in the house. Oh and I still get a good laugh out of the disapproving rabbit link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmamama View Post
Well then it seems like I have boyfriends all over the place, because I also have a Trader Joe's boyfriend (his name is Marlon) and, of course, there's Keanu Reeves.

dm
Sorry, Keanu is mine. Hands off, mama.

#70 of 114 Old 11-23-2007, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Sorry, Keanu is mine. Hands off, mama.
I'm not opposed to sharing ... how 'bout you?

dm
#71 of 114 Old 11-23-2007, 05:10 PM

*grumbles* Ok, ok...since I'm teaching my toddler how to share I suppose I should practice it too. You can have him on the weekdays. I get him on the weekends.
BTW: My husband is also a Chinese Hawaiian with a bit of other ethnicities thrown in. He looks somewhat like Keanu.

#72 of 114 Old 11-23-2007, 05:17 PM
Banned

keanu is apparently no monogamist. LOL!

he's been mine since i was 12. i'm 31.
#73 of 114 Old 11-23-2007, 07:56 PM

I'll take him on the weekdays, no problem! There's five weekdays and only two weekend days! Btw, Zoe, I'm 33, so I outrank you.

My husband is Slovenian. He doesn't look anything like Keanu.

dm
#74 of 114 Old 11-24-2007, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmamama View Post
I have since started volunteering at the Humane Society, mainly as a bunny volunteer. My younger two kids and I go in twice a week to socialize/exercise the bunnies.
dm
I wish I could do it with Dd, the rules at my shelter say she has to be 12 years old even if I'm the one doing the actual volunteering. I asked if there was some kind of Release of Liability cause I'm not worried in the least about her getting bit. She's not quite 5 now.

#75 of 114 Old 11-25-2007, 01:31 PM
Banned

yeah, but seriously, have you really loved him since you were twelve? LOL and to be honest, i havent' thought about keanu in many years. he was just my go-to symbol for a long time.

but now. . .well, i don't really have one. . .and here's why (i think). . .

what i've learned is that keanu's looks might have been my first attraction but the man that i created him to be in my mind is the guy that i married.

i wanted someone to love me for me, to understand and respect my autonomy and agency, to really be an equal partner at every level, and to be just a beautiful, graceful person.

i don't know keanu, and perhaps he is all of those things and i hope he is. but i do know my ryan, and he definitely is everything i imagined.

and he's beautiful too, with a nice danish look to him (because he's mostly danish).

and so, keanu has been released, because now i have what i wanted--which is the man i imagined keanu to be, and the man my husband is.

we both miss our october j.
#76 of 114 Old 12-02-2007, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter

Ok so Monty got neutered yesterday. I failed to specifically ask a question about how they removed the testicles. UGH! They removed them via the abdomen, exactly the way House Rabbit Society doesn't recommend! He's doing super well though. By 11pm he was at it again mounting and try to do Hopper. I was surprised he felt up to that. I got pain meds for 4 days for him to make sure he's comfy. So even though they did it the more invasive way, he seems to be recovery very quickly.

#77 of 114 Old 12-05-2007, 01:23 AM

I thought I'd put up my hand too - we just adopted an albino bunny from the rspca. He is not my first bunny - my lovely rabbit Harvey lived to be 10 and was a delight.
This rabbit is very friendly and cheeky, he is only 4 months so I'm hoping he will become as attached to us as Harvey was.
#78 of 114 Old 12-05-2007, 10:06 AM

So it turns out that Merlin, my rabbit boyfriend, is a transgendered lesbian rabbit. They went to fix him and he is a she, but she displays all kinds of male rabbit mating behavior. (They were not able to fix her, btw, for a series of complex reasons.)

I'm having problems picking the rabbits up. Except for one rabbit who is extremely laid back and loves to be held, the other rabbits tend to kick a lot when I try to pick them up. I don't pick them up gratuitously, but when they are being transferred from rabbitat to exercise pen and back, or when they are being taken in to be groomed, they need to be picked up. Once I get them in my arms, they are fine, but I often need assistance picking them up. I try to make sure that I get one hand under their rumps and back feet so they feel secure, but it doesn't seem to be working. I read that you should handle rabbits gently yet "confidently." I don't feel confident picking them up except for the one docile rabbit.

Does anyone have any tips?

I asked for help getting the new rabbit out yesterday and one of the HS staffers scruffed him, which I wasn't too pleased with.

dm
#79 of 114 Old 12-05-2007, 04:15 PM
Banned

i love how magical rabbits can be. merlin is particularly special. hopefully, they can 'fix' her eventually. it would be better for her health. and, she's probably just exhibiting dominating behavoir, as humping is not unusual for both male and female rabbits.

as for holding, i can't give you any more tips than what you already know--put a hand under the feet! otherwise, more confidence, perhaps?
#80 of 114 Old 12-06-2007, 02:17 AM - Thread Starter

The best way is to grab the scruff of their neck, scoop the body up and hold them like a baby. Not all rabbits will be calm right away, pet their head for a sec. This is called the sleeper hold for a bunny. They nurse on their backs, so this is a fetal position. These pic might help...

http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...t=IMG_5103.jpg

http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...t=IMG_5109.jpg

#81 of 114 Old 12-06-2007, 07:25 AM

I've been doing some reading and there seems to be lots of advice to have bunnies in pairs.
Peter is a desexed male, is handled happily by my kids and the adults, is affectionate and will come up to everyone for a sniff and a rub.
Is he lonely? Would it be kinder to get him a friend?
If so, how could I choose one that he will like?
Thanks!!
#82 of 114 Old 12-06-2007, 08:51 AM

There's a great all-natural, enzyme stain and odor remover from Earth Friendly Products. It gets out all kinds of organic stains and odors (i.e., not guaranteed effective on ink or other non-organic stains) better than most cleaners I have tried.

Quote:
#83 of 114 Old 12-06-2007, 08:52 AM

I'd be interested in hearing about a pair for our female rabbit as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivafab View Post
I've been doing some reading and there seems to be lots of advice to have bunnies in pairs.
Peter is a desexed male, is handled happily by my kids and the adults, is affectionate and will come up to everyone for a sniff and a rub.
Is he lonely? Would it be kinder to get him a friend?
If so, how could I choose one that he will like?
Thanks!!
#84 of 114 Old 12-06-2007, 08:56 AM

I also discovered this posture by accident. When I hold our bunny this way, she is completely docile for long periods of time. She seems to enjoy (or tolerate!) having her tummy and feet rubbed, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birth&Bunnies View Post
The best way is to grab the scruff of their neck, scoop the body up and hold them like a baby. Not all rabbits will be calm right away, pet their head for a sec. This is called the sleeper hold for a bunny. They nurse on their backs, so this is a fetal position. These pic might help...

http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...t=IMG_5103.jpg

http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...t=IMG_5109.jpg
#85 of 114 Old 12-06-2007, 01:31 PM
Banned

uhm, i don't think they get lonely, to be honest, as long as they are engaged with the family.

October J was a single bun for all 10 years with us and he never seemed lonely. he would be sometimes, like all being are i guess, but for the most part, he was a very, very happy rabbit.

he was a free roamer and always involved in our family life. since i work from home quite a bit, we spent a lot of time together--i was his "other rabbit."

when we would travel, we had a "team" take care of him. one couple would go each week (usually three couples total), and then two other groups (a mom with kids and a single male with no kids, no pets, etc) would go when they could to keep him company.

so, he had a large team of people who would visit him to feed him, change his litter box, sweep the floors, etc, and cuddle him too, and then the others would just come and go as they wished to spend time with him, cuddle him, etc.

so, i feel that buns don't need partners or companions IF the family is the companion.
#86 of 114 Old 12-06-2007, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

I think you could go either way with bunnies, alone or in a pair. This article is helpful from House Rabbit Society. You should always take your bun with you to see if they will match. The best chances are spayed/neutered, then boy/girl, boy/boy and lastly girl/girl. Neutral territory is best, so you can try the back of your car. Put down a large towel in case of accidents. As long as there are no overly aggressive behavior your match will likely develop into a beautiful relationship.

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-4/two-rabbits.html

With our buns Monty and Hopper, we took Hopper with us to pick out the new bunny. I looked around for one I liked then we put them in a large cage that belonged to neither of them. No one tried to kill each other (which was the case with Ginger and Hopper) so in my book it was a go. By that evening they were laying together. Monty just adores Hopper, he cuddles her and grooms her and she now does the same to him. In fact she refuses to be a house bunny! She wants to stay in 'their' area, as I sectioned part of the kitchen for them as Monty was a super sprayer pee-bunny.

#87 of 114 Old 12-07-2007, 06:05 PM

I felt my bunnies benefitted from having a bunny companion. My first rabbit was by himself for many years and he seemed happy but there came a point where I felt he was lonely. I just didn't have the time to play with him as I once did. He seemed to me like he was moping and just not as joyful as he once had been. Once I got him a spayed female from our local humane society, he really perked up. He was so happy. And he was so cute around her. He was loving and protective. There was a big age difference. He was 8 years old and she was a year old. They got along well. They would roam around the house together and separately but he would always come back to check on her and make sure she was ok. He really doted on her and she looked up to him. She wouldn't go into an unfamiliar part of the house without him being with her. When he passed away, I got another neutered male rabbit but he was much younger and much closer in age to her. He was such a sweetie with me but because he was younger he was not as tolerant of her constant desire to be groomed. She's a real diva. They had a fight in the middle of the night when I was sleeping. I don't know what happened but I think she went too far with him probably nudging him to gromm her for the umpteenth time and he bit a tiny piece of her ear off. It healed nicely but I kept them apart for a while and they had a few closely supervised outings together. When I put them together again many weeks later they were fine. They didn't have any problems after that for I think they established the hierarchy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HikeYosemite View Post
There's a great all-natural, enzyme stain and odor remover from Earth Friendly Products. It gets out all kinds of organic stains and odors (i.e., not guaranteed effective on ink or other non-organic stains) better than most cleaners I have tried.
Thanks! I'll look into it.

#88 of 114 Old 12-08-2007, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
so, i feel that buns don't need partners or companions IF the family is the companion.

Rex was an only bun for three years and I felt strongly that he *needed* companionship. So we adopted Peanut from the local shelter, let her recover from her spay, and (with the help of the local HRS coordinator) 'bonded' her with Rex. It was truly a perfect match; they made each other so incredibly happy.

Now Peanut is gone. There are days when Rex seems to be okay, and then there are times when it's apparent that he's longing for something more than a human mommy. It's especially hard this time of year when finals approach and I have absolutely no free time to spend with him. At this point I don't think it's right to put him through the stress of a new rabbit (he's 8 1/2 years old) and I do think he'll be okay as an only-bun once more. But it does require a lot more of an effort on my part to include him in things and try to fill the void that Peanut left.
#89 of 114 Old 12-10-2007, 04:11 AM

Thanks for all the advice
I contacted a breeder to see if she knew of any girl bunnies that needed a good home, and now we have Tilly!
She is very tame, toilet trained, and affectionate lop.
She is not spayed, but will be sometime in January.
Problem now is that she had fairly serious fur mites. I didn't notice how bad it was until she was home. I was told she was in a breeding program and wasn't successful, so I thought the missing fur on the nape of her neck was from mating.
On closer inspection there is lots of that tell-tale dandruff as well!!!
Poor bunny. I have dosed both with selamectin and will watch carefully.
Any other advice on mites?
Thank you!!
#90 of 114 Old 12-10-2007, 04:34 PM

One of my rabbits, I think it was my first rabbit Fluffy, had fur mites. The vet prescribed ivermectin injections. I also cleaned the room the bunny lived in very throughly from top to bottom. I vacuumed and I cleaned his bunny condo with a watered solution of bleach. I let the condo dry completely before I let Fluffy back inside.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page