what kind of dog does this look like? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 38 Old 10-26-2007, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/10...7207_0_ALB.jpg

We don't know for sure. We are acting as if she is a pit to be safe, she is so smart it seems highly likely she is one, but I don't know. SOmething about her reminds me of the lab I had growing up (and we had lots of big dogs growing up). Hmmm. We start obedience classes next week. She learned to sit in one day and potty trained in just a couple days, amazing!! She is maybe 15 weeks old now, per her vet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 38 Old 10-26-2007, 08:53 PM

OMG...... She's cute! That's what kind of dog she is!!!

Kim, proud CPS mom to Marnie and my 4 legged kids, Jess, Zander, Oliver, Stumpy and Eddie.
#3 of 38 Old 10-26-2007, 08:56 PM

She is super cute! Looks like there might be some pit, but also some lab--who knows! Have fun!

Mama to ds 6/00 and dd 1/09

#4 of 38 Old 10-26-2007, 08:56 PM

Once I saw the profile and the third picture it was obvious she is a lab. Look at her square head!

Maybe mized with Boxer, though the first photo reminds me of a Patterdale Terrier.
#5 of 38 Old 10-26-2007, 08:59 PM

She doesn't look anything like an APBT.
#6 of 38 Old 10-26-2007, 08:59 PM

Definately some Lab imo. Yours looks more Lab than mine, who I know is 1/4 Lab.
#7 of 38 Old 10-26-2007, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Here are a couple more, different angles. These are all a couple weeks old, we need to get some more pics, better ones...

#8 of 38 Old 10-26-2007, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Everywhere we go though people are like OMG! a pit puppy!! Or, they avoid us like the plague and give us dirty looks

Maybe no one knows what a pitbull looks like.

I did go to those links last week (somewhere in this forum) about pick the pitbull, so I know there are alot of dogs that can look like pits. The first thing the vet said though was "oh, she is a beautiful pitbull!" And this was me -> no, don't tell me she's a pit!
#9 of 38 Old 10-26-2007, 09:36 PM

Okay, yours looks like mine who (per our vet) is a lab mix. Gonna see if I can find a pic as they look like the same dog .

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/11...lla/Scooby.jpg
#10 of 38 Old 10-26-2007, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstella View Post
Okay, yours looks like mine who (per our vet) is a lab mix. Gonna see if I can find a pic as they look like the same dog .

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/11...lla/Scooby.jpg
Cute!!

That is my favorite kind of dog in the world, black labs, or black lab-ish dogs
#11 of 38 Old 10-26-2007, 09:59 PM

I'd guess a lab mix. An acquaintance of mine is a dog trainer (10 yrs) and she has a REAL full blooded pit. Your cute little dog looks nothing like hers. Different head shape.

An old neighbor of ours has a lab/boxer mix and she has a squarish head/jaw. Also black, actually, and a SWEET dog. HUGE, too.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#12 of 38 Old 10-26-2007, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't know alot about dog breeds, but it seems there is definitly some Lab. In the first pic, I can see a little pit but it's hard to tell in the pictures too.
#13 of 38 Old 10-26-2007, 10:16 PM

The pictures are VERY dark--I mostly see sillhouette of dog. If you can take one outside in the sunlight I could do more.

The first picture definitely says pit. You can clearly see by the shape of the head. In terms of what she's mixed with, if anything, I can't do a good job until I see how her body is shaped and her musculature and her bone colume.
#14 of 38 Old 10-26-2007, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, the pictures aren't too good we will eventually get better ones.

I am sure she is a pit mix of some kind. I think lab. DP says no way she is all pit. That's kinda why I wanted to see what other people think, but the pictures, you're right, aren't great. IMO, the first one, against the wooden floor, shows the best shape of her face.

She is so cute and so smart. She is seriously smart. Or am I biased? She hasn't had an accident in the house in days. But I am vigilant, with her all the time, and when she acts a certain way I know it's time for a walk or frolic in the yard or whatnot. And if I know I'll be out of her sight for a little wile I put her in her kennel for a nap, so I exagerated in saying she is totally potty trained, but she is smart. You can see it in her eyes, she knows how to get my attention already to potty, and she is just a baby. She acts like she is smart and will be a great doggie! She loves us already and we all love her. She is making friends through the fence with the neighbor pit 1 year old. She isn't spayed or had all her series of shots yet so we are cautious right now about letting her play. And especialy until we know her better and get some kind of professional training started I don't want to be too quick to let her have those kind of puppy playdates. but right now we are going by the assumption she is at least part pit so we aren't taking any chances with that whole scene.

I am glad this forum is here to learn more and ask questons.

Thank you all so much!!
#15 of 38 Old 10-26-2007, 10:43 PM

I say lab x pit.

Superstella, has your puppy been wormed or checked for worms since that pic was taken?
#16 of 38 Old 10-26-2007, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyastara View Post
I say lab x pit.

Superstella, has your puppy been wormed or checked for worms since that pic was taken?
Uh oh. What about the pic suggests worms?

My puppy just had all her screening a couple weeks ago (the poop test and stuff), but I'm wondering what clues you might see and if it's something I can keep an eye on in the future.

editing because I know you are talking about her puppy, but just trying to learn about what you might be seeing.
#17 of 38 Old 10-26-2007, 10:54 PM

Not your puppy but Superstella's looks possibly wormy to me. The distended belly combined with the bony hips is what looks like that to me.

ETA: I am not saying that anyone is negligent or a bad puppy owner. It is very common for puppies to have worms. I only brought it up because I would hope that someone would mention it to me It's really easy to think that a puppy is totally fine if it is energetic, eating fine etc but worms are a hidden danger and can take a toll.
#18 of 38 Old 10-26-2007, 10:55 PM

I vote lab/pittie cross too!
#19 of 38 Old 10-26-2007, 10:58 PM

Looks like a pit lab mix

:CLC,Doula :Mama to 2
#20 of 38 Old 10-26-2007, 11:21 PM

Even though she looks nothing like a pit a lot of people say pit? hrm...
#21 of 38 Old 10-26-2007, 11:30 PM

Well, she DOES look like a Pit. There is something about the way pits' heads have fill under the eye (increased bone and muscle mass under the eye to the jaw) that is pretty unmistakeable. Plenty of other breeds have blocky heads, but not the same shape to the eye and the jaw. She's also got the right ears.

While all pits and pit-type breeds have a similar shape to their musculature, the actual width and "lumpiness" of the dog varies widely. The more traditional APBT is a very lithe and slender dog; the more modern exaggerated type is built more like a wide-load truck. So you can't really say "Oh, she's slender, can't be a Pit"--I could tell a lot more if I saw her structure in the sunlight, but she certainly *could* be a purebred (or pure "type"--I would never argue that she's registerable or anything like that) based on the sillhouette that I see.
#22 of 38 Old 10-26-2007, 11:31 PM

She looks like a lab mixed w/ some kind of bully to me--pit or boxer or staff. If I were you, I'd list her anywhere you have to list her as a lab mix and keep that possible pit part to yourself.
#23 of 38 Old 10-26-2007, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potty Diva View Post
Even though she looks nothing like a pit a lot of people say pit? hrm...
Well, like a backyard bred pit. Like my pit. If that dog is not a pit, my dog is not a pit. I should post a picture of mine, you'd probably be horrified.

I really see the (disclaimer: non-pedigree-able ) pittie in pics 1 and 3. I say lab because of picture 2. I am not a dog expert, but I am very knowledgeable and I go by gut. Usually I'm right, or pretty close... so that's the extent of my cred on this. I see a... softness... in pic 2, is the best I can describe it, that I would say is lab.

Here's a bit more cred: My housemate and I were walking on the beach and saw a dog. She was like: "OMG look at the pug!" I said "Oh yeah... oh wait, that doesn't look like a pug, it's a boston terrier maybe?"

We asked the guy, and he said it's a pug/boston terrier mix! We were pretty pleased with ourselves.

Anyway, that's my guess and why.

eta - I cannot distinguish pit from staff, not even a little bit. To me they are pretty much one and the same.
#24 of 38 Old 10-26-2007, 11:39 PM

hrm...
Maybe I'm fighting this thought because everyone just shouts "PIT" when they see a dog with some type of bully breed in it, and immediately following the shout, people start getting fearful.

I still think it looks more like a Pattersdale than a pit.

And wow, staffies and APBT's look so different to me
#25 of 38 Old 10-26-2007, 11:46 PM

: I'm not that knowledgeable about the more lah-dee-dah bully breeds. I retract a lot of my cred.

But I still do claim to know a backyard bred pit bull when I see one! That is important to me so let me have it. Although some of them may actually be fancier bully breeds, I think logically most are pits because more people let pit bulls remain unneutered and think breeding them with the lab/chow/basset hound (seriously!) next door is a fabulous idea, than do people with fancier dogs.

That's all I got on this.
#26 of 38 Old 10-26-2007, 11:52 PM

I'd say lab/ American bulldog mix.
#27 of 38 Old 10-26-2007, 11:53 PM

Oh I was discounting your knowledge, it's much more than I have, jsut trying to give reason as to why I fight the "it's a pit" claim. Since they get such a bd rap all the time, ya know?
#28 of 38 Old 10-26-2007, 11:57 PM

She has the face of a pitbull, but from the side she looks like a lab.
#29 of 38 Old 10-27-2007, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengingophelia View Post
She looks like a lab mixed w/ some kind of bully to me--pit or boxer or staff. If I were you, I'd list her anywhere you have to list her as a lab mix and keep that possible pit part to yourself.
Exactly!

Every time someone says pit I firmly say NO! (she has no papers, no history, I am not going to get listed anywhere for property insurance etc sake as her being a pit!)

Seriously.

#30 of 38 Old 10-27-2007, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potty Diva View Post
hrm...
Maybe I'm fighting this thought because everyone just shouts "PIT" when they see a dog with some type of bully breed in it, and immediately following the shout, people start getting fearful.

I still think it looks more like a Pattersdale than a pit.

And wow, staffies and APBT's look so different to me
A Patterdale would be about a quarter the size this puppy is. And it's honestly not inappropriate to talk about the entire group of Pit-type breeds as having major similarities--it's like saying "livestock guardian dogs." A Pyr is not the same breed as a Maremma, but I wouldn't want to be a coyote staring down either one. The similarities within the group or landrace of dogs are much greater than their differences.

AmStaffs and APBTs are, in many many cases, the exact same dogs. If you have an AKC-registered AmStaff and go to a UKC show, your dog will be registered as an APBT. Their standards are similar, and it's VERY possible to get a championship in both AKC as an AmStaff and UKC as a APBT. There is an enormous amount of overlap in the bloodlines. When they separated (when the AKC decided to drop the "pit" name and change it to American Staffordshire) the original breeding stock was the exact same thing and it was more a philosophical difference between breeders than any difference in bloodlines. Right now you can't register a UKC APBT as an AKC AmStaff (the AKC has very tight controls on registration) but you could as late as the 60s and 70s. If you're seeing APBTs that look dramatically different from the AmStaffs, either the AmStaff breeders are doing something wrong or the APBT breeders are.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page