Cat not using his litter box - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-06-2007, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We've got a cat that we took in as a stray one month ago today, and we guess he's about 12 weeks old. We immediately put him onto a raw diet, which he eats with gusto. He seems to be in very good health, no noticable health problems. He is currently unaltered, and we put softpaws on his nails with no problems or incidents.

The problem we're having is that he isn't always using his litter box, and we can't figure out why. It seems to happen more right after I clean out the box, even though he 'helps' me clean the box and uses it immediately afterwards. But he's peeing on our beds, and it's causing quite a problem to the point where we're going to have to get rid of him if we can't get him to stop.

He has two boxes in the same room, with the same litter in it. We got a smaller size box, about 9x13, because the other one the store had was so big I didn't think he'd be able to step into it. lol

Can anyone help me out?

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 11-06-2007, 11:12 PM

Litter box training is in order. First put the box in a quiet room with a door. Keep the kitty in there and only let it out when you can watch it. Close off all the rooms you can to keep him out. Do you use the same litter every time? You might try using a different brand or one with a different texture. Also 2 boxes are good to help sometimes.

I am currently having to retrain my 13yo cat yet again and she is only allowed out of her room when I can watch her. If you can stop it now you have a better shot of stopping it forever.

Another thought try different kinds of litter boxes, uncovered or covered.

Get a good enzyme cleaner and clean the spots where he has went make sure to scrub them really good.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#3 of 6 Old 11-06-2007, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

That's what I don't get. The first two weeks we had him, he used his box every single time and didn't have any accidents. Did I do something wrong?

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

#4 of 6 Old 11-07-2007, 02:04 AM

Because he's a kitten and a stray, I'd pursue medical issues first. I'd neuter him ASAP. I'd have them check for a UTI and worms at the vet's office. If he's long-haired, I'd clip/shave around his "twig and berries" to make sure this is not irritation from long hair or matting. If that combo did not work, I'd switch litters and clean more often.

If he's still misbehaving after that, you need to retrain him. He should be confined in a very small area--a large dog crate is a great choice--with only his food and water, a bed, and a litter box. If he is perfect for two weeks in that situation, he can be in a slightly larger room like a bathroom or laundry room. Don't move him into a room-sized room until he's been perfect another couple of weeks.
#5 of 6 Old 11-07-2007, 11:17 AM

Make sure he's checked out for FUS as well as intestinal parasites, etc.

Each spot he's soiled needs to be treated with an enzymatic cleaner, otherwise he's likely to return to the area.

That's all I have to add, everyone else has given great information!

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#6 of 6 Old 11-07-2007, 07:35 PM

Do you have other cats? If so, how many litterboxes do you have and where are they? Cats will sometimes bar each other from using a litterbox in a show of dominance. you need to have one more litterbox than you do cats, and they should be in different places around the house so that one cat cannot keep another from using one of them when they need to.

I second (third?) that he should be seen by a vet first off to rule out anything medical. Also try different kinds of litter, and the boxes in different places.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page