How often does your dog go out to pee? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 12-03-2007, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm trying to figure out what's normal. lol

With Lucian's old owner, he was taken out for a walk 3 times a day. Once in the morning, once at lunch time (he arranged his work schedules so he had enough break between jobs to come home and walk the dog), and once at night. The night time walk was long so he got some exercise, and Lucian usually relieved himself at the start and end of it. He never had accidents on that schedule, and he didn't fuss to be let out during the day, either. (we were roommates with his owner and home all day. we would have heard)

When we took him in, we tried to stick to similar schedules...but....with the kids taking him out and playing with him all day, he would go to the bathroom while he was out playing. So, we would walk him first whenever they took him out, too. He's gotten to whining at the door, wanting us to let him out to pee, during the day. He does pee when he goes out, but is he just using it as an excuse to get attention/a breath of fresh air when we're all being too busy to pay attention to him? He held it for 6-12 hours at a time as the standard for years before he came to us. I have no problem enforcing boundaries, but I need to figure out where I want to put them first, you know? I've never had a dog before.

So, what do you do with YOUR dogs? What's normal? and What's healthy? lol He's around 5 (we think...he could be older) and some kind of black lab mix, if that matters at all.

Oh, and he had been going to an empty field a couple blocks away. They're quickly filling it with streets and houses, though, so he'll be going in the yard instead.

Affordable organics delivered from GREEN POLKADOT BOX

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Mama to guitar.gif Crash (14) and hippie.gifSpritely (12)

#2 of 19 Old 12-03-2007, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My Husband does the first walk- around 6 am, I do a second when I'm on break from work, around 1pm, I walk them again when I get home, around 6pm and my Hubby walks our dogs somewhere between 10 and 10:30pm. I "accidently" trained my older dog to pee on command- when she was housetraining, whenever she peed outside, I'd tell her, "Good girl, Princess, you made pee pee. Good girl.", so now, whenever we go outside and I tell her, "Princess, go pee pee.", she squats and goes. Even if she just went an hour ago, she still tries. With some time and patience, maybe you can teach your dog to potty on command, so if he's out playing all afternoon, you can just tell him to go before he comes back in? Also, 6 hours is pretty normal for a dog. Some people make their dog hold it for 10-12 hours (like if they're working all day), and most dogs are able to, no problem, but personally, the way I see it, I wouldn't want to hold it for 12 hours, so why should my dog, unless absolutely nessesary, know what I mean? Also, do you have a fenced in yard? When he starts scratching at the door, maybe you can just let him into the yard and see what he does. Maybe he really needs to go, but if he just wants attention, he won't be all too interested in peeing, know what I mean?

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#3 of 19 Old 12-03-2007, 10:37 AM

I would say three on average, once in the morning, once in the evening, and once on his walk. He sometimes stops to "mark/squirt" several times during his walk, but doesn't absolutely need to do that.

My brother's dog pees twice/day.
#4 of 19 Old 12-03-2007, 11:23 AM

Our dog is a 16 month old neutered male smooth fox terrier mix.
When we are home I take him out approx. every 2-3 hours and he usually pees.
He goes about 6-8 hours after bedtime without peeing and if we leave him home alone he has gone about that long without peeing.
When our dog was having some bladder issues he would have to pee badly every 30 minutes. The problem cleared up when we changed his diet.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#5 of 19 Old 12-03-2007, 11:34 AM

DH lets dog out at 6am when DH wakes up
I let him out around 8am before I go to work
DH lets him out around noon-1 pm because DH comes home for lunch (I can't)
I let him out around 4pm when I get home from work
One of us lets him out around 10-11pm before bed

When DH was away (military), I couldn't come home for lunch and our dog did just fine. Our dog is good about letting us know if he has to go-I'm not sure he goes every time he's let out, but he enjoys doing a couple laps around the yard.

A supportive military wife and mama to my busy boy and sweet girl.
#6 of 19 Old 12-03-2007, 01:08 PM

First thing in the morning, around 6.
At lunch
Right after I get home from work and sometimes right before bed depending on their need.
#7 of 19 Old 12-03-2007, 01:22 PM

3-4 times a day depending on the weather. That dog would hold it as long as she could if it was raining!

Cindy, joyful SAH mama to rainbow1284.gif William & Katherinefly-by-nursing2.gif Forever missing Amelia 7-12-09 angel3.gif  signcirc1.gifsaynovax.giflactivist.gif Ask me about my natural cesarean! 

#8 of 19 Old 12-03-2007, 02:05 PM

this is a really sensitive issue for me....

i just feel that dogs/pets are not a convenience, but living beings, and if schedules don't permit their being let out enough times during the day to relieve themselves, then perhaps the decision to have pets should be re-thought ...:

before you throw that tomato, though-----of course, i know also that schedules may change while you already have pets, so it's better to keep them in your family and try your best to give them the best opportunities for relieving themselves, play, etc. that you can.

i really think that less than 4 times a day, on a continuous basis, is not good for them. they are probably not drinking enough water, which can lead to kidney and general health problems. i knew of a couple where we used to live who had a dog who was only walked 2 times a day....the dog went for a long jog with one of the owner in the morning and when she returned, the owner "allowed" her to drink from the water faucet for 7 seconds (no more) and that is all the water she was allowed for the day until that night (after 7pm at least). she was walked again at 9pm and that's it for the day. it broke my heart and still brings me to tears after 4 years.....i keep hoping that the dog developed a urinary tract infection so that their vet could find out and tell them that was absolutely horrible.

anyway, for us, at night, we make sure one of us is up to let them out between 10 & 10:30, so that they only have to go about 9 hours at night w/o peeing. of course, i am a sahm right now, with a fenced in yard (and separate "poop/pee" area), so i have the luxury of letting my 3 dogs out every 3-4 hours during the day. but when dh and i were working/in school, we gave up lunch hours, etc. to come home and walk the dogs (no yard at the time and no money for a dog walker). there were some days when they'd have to go 8 hours during the day w/o peeing, but we never let them go more than that and tried very hard to make sure it wasn't a frequent occurrence and that they had at least 4 opportunities to relieve themselves.

i also know that there are the few pets out there who don't seem to need to pee that much, especially those homebound with little exercise...my parents' dog can go from 10 at night until about noon the next day w/o having to pee at all. and she has all day, any time access to peeing and plenty of water...not much exercise, though...
#9 of 19 Old 12-03-2007, 02:36 PM

If you're home, what's the problem? All of mine are fine with holding it through the night, as well as from when I leave for work until the kids come home (6 hours?). But if I'm home and one needs to go out - I let 'em out. They like to wander about, have a sniff, mark a tree or three. It's all part of being a dawg.

Seriously - are you on such a rigid schedule of when you're allowed to use the bathroom? Or the kids? 3 times a day, and your quota is up, kid! :
#10 of 19 Old 12-03-2007, 03:42 PM

When we're home, Dusti comes and goes pretty much all the time she's not sleeping. Partly I think it's just "something to do" or maybe habit, go outside = go pee.

You know how if you're at the mall cruising along fine and you pass the bathroom and ask "I'm good, but does anybody need to go?" and then all of a sudden you decide YOU needed to go after all? Kindof like you didn't need to go until you thought about it?

DH and I both work full time, but different shifts. So that's usually two 6-8 hour stretches in her crate per day (and she has a small dish attached on the door with a small amount of water - seems cruel to not give her something to wash down her peanut butter kong with) but she sleeps most the time and if she really has to go she can wake either of us up. When we're awake she goes outside to poop once in the morning and maybe in the evening, and she's "in and out" to pee whenever even though she could hold it if she wanted to. If we're walking, she can pee good before we leave and then 3 more quick times in an hour walk. If she's playing outside she pees more often than if she's laying around the house. I figure who wants to be running around with a bladder sloshing?
#11 of 19 Old 12-03-2007, 04:53 PM

Loki's potty needs vary GREATLY depending on the weather. If it's nice out, he'll ask to go out for a lot of what we call "recreational pees." He'll potty, sure (we call it a "courtesy squat" or "courtesy lift," depending on what position he chooses to pee in), but mostly just wants to romp. Now that it's cold and blustery, though, he only seems to want to go three or four times a day. Sometimes I'll go home for lunch and to let him out, and he'll go outside, walk to the bottom of the stairs, decide it's just not worth it, and run back up to me. I figure he's a big boy, and if he had to pee, he would.

So, in summary, he usually goes in the morning, at lunch (sometimes... we let him out, anyway), when we get home from work, and before bed. He was in the nasty habit of wanting to go out at 3am a while back, but we changed his feeding time a little, and that little issue seemed to go away. We think the in-utero baby was sending him messages... "prepare mom and dad for nighttime wakenings."

He'll also get the occasional walk, romp/fetch game out on the frozen river (winter), or romp/fetch IN the unfrozen river (spring/summer/fall), during which time, he'll usually tinkle on a few things. For some reason, too, swimming inspires him to poop.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#12 of 19 Old 12-03-2007, 04:55 PM

Exercise and playing seem to stimulate my dog to pee.
He's a really active dog when we are home and awake so that's probably why I have to get him out every couple of hours. He always has water available but doesn't drink a lot on a normal day.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#13 of 19 Old 12-03-2007, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My older large dog goes to the washroom twice a day. She is welcome to go more if she wants. Sometimes she asks to go out, usually she does not. If we are outside she will usually head off to her corner at least once for a pee.

The younger and small breed dog can hold for long stretches if required. He has on occassion only had the chance to go pee once in the morning, once at night. That is rare though as I am a mostly SAHM.
If I take him out and wait by the gate he will wait for a bit, dash to his spot, have a pee come back. If I wait longer he will wait with me for a bit, dash off to his spot have another pee. If I wait even longer, he usually dash off and try to have a poo. Then he comes dashing back. Because he was trained in the winter, we are all about dashing out, going washroom, dashing in

Decluttering 500/2010
#14 of 19 Old 12-03-2007, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input and perspectives, guys. Most of you were really informative and helpful! =D The only experience I've had with dogs is the months we rented to Lucian's old owner. Since Lucian was only staying with us temporarily until now, we've been mostly doing what his owner did. He's with us perm now, though, and I want to make sure I'm really doing what's best for him now that the decisions are on me. The last thing I want to do is go and undo all of his training either, though. It's good to know there's so much of a range in behavioral norms. I would never have connected the increase in activity level with increased need to pee, but duh! he heads straight for the water every time he comes in. Sometimes he even drags one of the kids back to the house so he can have a drink while they're out playing. That totally accounts for the inconsistencies I was trying to piece together.

Affordable organics delivered from GREEN POLKADOT BOX

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Mama to guitar.gif Crash (14) and hippie.gifSpritely (12)

#15 of 19 Old 12-03-2007, 10:09 PM

Oh geeze, I have no idea how often ours go. A LOT! I think half the time they are just screwing around out there. They are Paps, so they do have small little bladders too though.
#16 of 19 Old 12-03-2007, 10:44 PM

My dog goes out about 3-5 times a day.

~*Have more than you show, speak less than you know*~

#17 of 19 Old 12-04-2007, 01:28 AM

4 year old dog: 4 or 5 times a day

8 month old dog: no less than 6 times a day

I dont count, I just watch their cues and take them out a lot.
#18 of 19 Old 12-04-2007, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have found that as he's gotten older my dog has seemed to want to pee more often. I installed a doggy door when he was about 8 because he kept waking me up at night wanting to go out.

We switched him to a raw diet though and he stopped drinking excessive amounts of water like he was before. He can stay inside through the night now, and he's 14.

I too, don't like the idea of being forced to wait for hours, so i try not to do that to the dog either.

Finally pregnant with #1 and #2! Due September 9th, 2014 

#19 of 19 Old 12-06-2007, 07:05 PM

Ours goes 4 times a day - she pees and poops the first three times, and then just pees right before bed.
  • 7:00am: DH takes her on a 2 mile walk
  • btw. noon and 2:00pm: DH or dog walker take her out (if it's the dog walker, she's out for at least an hour)
  • 6:00pm: I take her when I get home from work
  • 11:00pm: she pees before we go to bed

wife to DH since 10/03, mama to DS (12/07)
also mom to small zoo: 3 snakes, 4 and one very lovable pit bull

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page