Can birds eat crisco? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 12-10-2007, 01:07 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For what it's worth, Crisco IS shortening, with no trans fat. (At least around here, that's all they carry in the store... I use it once a year, to make pie crusts for Thanksgiving . The other brands were regular trans fat stuff, tho. Still not sure if that makes it a good food for birds!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 35 Old 12-10-2007, 01:48 PM

Crisco/lard = bad. Got it! Anybody have alternatives? We can't use peanut butter, my son is severely allergic. Somebody else mentioned honey. Would that be ok? I'd love to do this project this year with the kiddos. But alas, I cannot think of any type of "glue" that won't kill the birds or my son. :P
#33 of 35 Old 12-10-2007, 02:23 PM

Crisco is fake lard not real lard and that's why it shouldn't be used for bird feeders not anything to do with trans fats. Real suet or lard should be used for bird feeders in areas where you have snow fall and cold winters. It helps wild birds survive through the winter. I know I've read in my bird watching books that Crisco is not an acceptable substitute for suet.

If you're not in an area with cold winters then suet has other problems besides not really being needed by the birds. I would use peanut butter for any further ones. Honey could have some issues b/c a lot of birds don't eat it and if you're not using local honey you could also have other problems.

You could make one with popcorn and no glue at all

http://www.lucygardens.com/how-to-ma...h-popcorn.html
#34 of 35 Old 12-10-2007, 07:23 PM

I don't really have anything useful to add to this thread, but I HAD to comment after reading the title. How can someone NOT click on a thread asking if birds eat crisco?

My 2 cents - If birds can eat garbage and goodness knows what else, they can probably eat crisco.
#35 of 35 Old 05-07-2014, 07:43 AM

LARD vs CRISCO vs SUET? So what’s the debate all about? Raw suet should be avoided because it turns rancid when temperatures exceed 70 degrees. It requires cooking & “clarification” sticks up your kitchen. As for the birds, it is not easily digested because it is high in saturated fats, but won’t hurt them. For the CRISCO fans, as of January 2007, Crisco’s regular shortening was reformulated to 0 grams of trans fat per serving. It is made of more fully hydrogenated cottonseed oil and much less partially hydrogenated cottonseed and soybean oil. The new shortening is flagged with a green trans-fat-free banner. Crisco (blue or green) has a longer shelf life. Either forms of Crisco won’t hurt the birds.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page