Autistic girl has no plans to put cat out in the cold. Stop asking. Update post 32, 83 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 88 Old 12-17-2007, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think you are doing the right thing. I would be so greatful to someone who took in any of my kitties if they were to get out.
#62 of 88 Old 12-17-2007, 03:44 PM

I understand your not wanting to drop the cat off there, but you can at least call or take the cat into animal care/Humane Society/SPCA or whatever the major "kill shelters" are near you. They will be able to check for chips, and they will be happy to take your info and let you hold the cat if you want to. If owners are looking, they are more likely to contact the major city shelters than to find all the (usually smaller) no-kill places.
#63 of 88 Old 12-17-2007, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amydidit View Post
I fully support you in not putting the cat outside. All my cats have been indoor only cats and will continue to be so. When I was 19 I moved in with my Aunt and brought my cats. She started letting them out. Within a month they were both killed. .

I'm so sorry! That's awful.

#64 of 88 Old 12-17-2007, 04:26 PM

good thing not to put the cat outside.

take kitty to the vet and have him/her scanned for a microchip. as a veterinary nurse, i know vets do this for free, and have seen many pets be reunited with their owners because of this. the shelters will do this for free too usually.

call your local shelters (pound and humane society) and see if anyone has put in a report of a missing cat that matches the cat's description.

get him/her some actual cat food instead of tunafish

make sure the owners can accurately describe the cat to you- if you have posted ads or are going to- i'd be vague about the description... the actual owners will be able to describe the kitty to a "t" if they contact you.

all cats have nipples. sometimes a broader head shape will be indicative of a male cat, that's if they're adult and un-neutered, but it is not always the case. i'd say the gender of the cat is rather unimportant at this point; the vet or shelter can tell you for free when you bring him/her in for a micrchip scan.

hth
#65 of 88 Old 12-17-2007, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccohenou View Post
I understand your not wanting to drop the cat off there, but you can at least call or take the cat into animal care/Humane Society/SPCA or whatever the major "kill shelters" are near you. They will be able to check for chips, and they will be happy to take your info and let you hold the cat if you want to. If owners are looking, they are more likely to contact the major city shelters than to find all the (usually smaller) no-kill places.
one can leave the INFO with a shelter, without bringing the cat over there. most shelters are overcrowded as it is, and if the OP is willing to keep the cat, taking it to a very stressful for the animal situation doesn't seem like a very good plan.
#66 of 88 Old 12-17-2007, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodymaximus View Post
one can leave the INFO with a shelter, without bringing the cat over there. most shelters are overcrowded as it is, and if the OP is willing to keep the cat, taking it to a very stressful for the animal situation doesn't seem like a very good plan.
Well sure, if you're having a chip-scan somewhere else. Thus the "or".
#67 of 88 Old 12-17-2007, 05:22 PM

Hey you might also try listing him on PetFinder, I believe they have a section for lost/found pets... http://www.petfinder.com

You're doing a great thing! Just wanted to say that
#68 of 88 Old 12-17-2007, 05:35 PM

I just remembered, some newspapers will let you put a free "Found" add in the newspaper. My mom has done this before and they run the add for a week no charge.
#69 of 88 Old 12-17-2007, 06:15 PM

I think you are doing all you can and even though you are not a cat person you are taking care of him, major points in my book!

Best of luck to kitty to finding his home.
#70 of 88 Old 12-17-2007, 07:24 PM

Wait, you have fed this cat tuna and given it a name?

It sounds like you have a new cat.
#71 of 88 Old 12-17-2007, 08:16 PM

I had a cat escape while I was moving back in February 2003 in Madison, WI (thanks to an ignorant cousin who left the back door of my house open during moving furniture, even though I'd warned everyone to keep the doors shut).

I put up signs all over the neighborhood, reported him missing the the local humane shelter, and he has a microchip ID.

One neighbor said he had gotten into her garage and she'd shooed him out and later saw my sign.

So, IMO, if someone found my cat, I would definitely have wanted them to keep him indoors, sheltered, and have taken steps to discover his real home.

Topaz never came home. I returned to that house for months and even had permission from the new owner to come by and put out food for him, left a carrier padded with warm bedding and called and called for him.

Topaz wasn't an outdoor cat, but he had run away once before in Missouri and didn't come home. I found him under a car and it took me over an hour to coax him out.

I also lost a dog in 1996. She was found be someone in an adjacent town. By the time I got her phone message and returned her call, she told me she never kept her, just petted her, saw she wore a collar with ID tag, saw my sign and called, and just let her go. I was mad because she could have tied her to a phone pole, to a post on her front porch, or put her in her garage, something, but she just let her go. I could have had my dog back. Later, the police said that a dog fitting her description was found being tortured by some young boys, who tied a concrete block to her collar and were trying to drown her. The cops made the boys let her go, but there is no animal control service in that town, so they just let the dog go.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#72 of 88 Old 12-17-2007, 09:15 PM

I think you are doing great.
I've been a pet owner most of my life. I've taken in strays, and I've lost pets.

I could only hope that my lost pets found someone like you who was so willing to take care of them. I was always most afraid that they were alone and cold or starving.

As for finding the cat's owner, it sounds like you are going about it responsibly. I agree with pp's who have recommended having a vet scan for a chip. Otherwise it osunds like you have a plan that will keep the cat safe, and that has reasonable hope of it finding its owner.

Good luck, either way.

Homeschooling mom of 2 rambunctious, loving, spectacular boys, wife to an incredible man who has been my best friend on this journey <3

#73 of 88 Old 01-06-2008, 02:24 PM

Individuation, please update us! What happened to the cat? I lost track of this thread, but many times, right before going to sleep, I think "I hope that Individuation's cat has found his/her home or he/she has settled in her home". Is it a she or a he by the way?
#74 of 88 Old 01-06-2008, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaialice View Post
Individuation, please update us! What happened to the cat? I lost track of this thread, but many times, right before going to sleep, I think "I hope that Individuation's cat has found his/her home or he/she has settled in her home". Is it a she or a he by the way?
Sage is still living here, but can't for much longer. Our landlord is really, really against it. Sage is very nice, sweet and settled and I'm still trying to re-unite or re-home. We'd love to keep him (we think it's a him--a neutered male). We all get along wonderfully. It's a major source of stress right now... trying to find Sage a home.

On the plus side, he is well and happy right now. However, this situation is very tenuous, and we do need to find a permanent home for him.
#75 of 88 Old 01-07-2008, 12:20 AM

glad to hear an update. hope you find him a home soon. maybe a neighbor so you could visit?
#76 of 88 Old 01-07-2008, 05:49 AM

Glad to hear Sage is doing fine, Individuation. You know, we also are the "foster" caregivers to a mainly outdoors cat named Jerry. She has been living part time at the neighbours' for a few years already. She is now liking our home more and more. She spends a lot of time sleeping around our flat in fact. She really is pure joy to have her around the house. Eventually, though, she always wants to go out. She likes to sleep on rooftops when there is a little sun and then she loves chasing little mice/birds. I can see her from my windows at times, I am sure she thinks she is the queen of our neighbourhood. She has such a good life! Well, I hope the best for you and Sage. I am sorry that your landlord is so anticat.
#77 of 88 Old 01-07-2008, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismama View Post
You need to let the cat out, IMO. Seriously. If she really is homeless she will stick around. But she looks healthy and well fed and it is not up to you to decide if she should be an indoor/outdoor cat or not. My cats go out and if someone took one of them and wouldn't let it home for days I would be livid.
As a pet owner I think we need to be responsible for our pets, and you cannot do that if your cat hops a fence and wanders the neighborhood. People don't let their dogs out to wander the neighborhood and crap in people's gardens, so why it should be Ok for cats is beyond me. If it would bother you that someone took your cat in questioning whether or not it would be warm and fed if left outside, then my suggestion is to keep your cat inside, or tether train it to make sure it never wanders the neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismama View Post
but keeping it for days on end is really ethically wrong when it very likely has a home close by.
I whole heartedly disagree. It is dangerous to allow dogs and cats outside unsupervised. They can be exposed to the elements, hit by cars, killed by predators, stolen, poisoned, or any number of other things. When you allow your pet to wander the neighborhood you are essentially placing the responsibility and safety of your pet unto your neighbors. This is what I find ethically wrong. I don't want the burden of your pet. If you don't want me to take responsibility for your animal, an animal that showed up on *my* property, then keep it inside. Animals that wander the neighborhood should be expected to go missing. If the worst that ever happens to your wandering pet is that someone has taken them in and fed them and kept them warm, you should consider yourself, and your pet, very lucky.

I have recently dealt with a family of feral cats on my property, and it never, ever occurred to me to let them go thinking they would go home. If they had one. I made every opportunity to find their homes, but they were not leaving my care until they were all spayed and neutered. I have, to this date, altered 4 cats, one is still at large (a female who I think is pregnant ). Any cat that makes my property home will be taken in, treated, tested, and altered. I let the older male feral go, and the worst case scenario is that he showed up at home, sans his testicles.

But I really resent having to deal with a feral cat population that can quickly grow out of control, and throw our ecosystem out of whack. All it takes is for one house cat to go outside to have her kittens, and then you have 4-7 cats who will make it their mission in life to breed, breed, breed, BREED. And being born outside essentialy seals their fate as feral cats, who are at a huge disadvantage. Not gunna happen. Not on my property.

As for the original post, I deffinitly think she is doing the right thing.

And I know Thismama said she was unsubbing, but I'm mostly posting for anyone else who might be reading.

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
#78 of 88 Old 01-07-2008, 06:29 AM

Here are some links that might be handy:

Low cost feral/stray spay and neuter programs. It's possible to get them altered, tested, vaccinated, microchipped, and de-wormed for around 60-80 bucks. Some states and counties have free, or low cost programs through the local animal control, just call and inquire about low cost stray spay/neuter programs.

http://www.alleycat.org/orgs.html

http://www.lovethatcat.com/spayneuter.html

The only problem I foresee you encountering is the difference between strays and ferals. Most feral programs require ear notching with the assumption that you are going to be releasing the cat, so make sure, if you decide to keep him, that you specify he's a stray and not a feral (my three outdoor ferals are all notched, but, they live outside and are quite elusive and may end up re-trapped). Of course, if money is an issue, a notched ear is a better alternative to a cat being ruled by hormones (heats, desire to breed, wandering, trying to escape, possible unwanted litters, etc). Some vets, if you explain the circumstances, will also waive the ear notching, especially in the low cost feral programs.

If an when you want to put the cat out (presumably after you have sexed it and altered it if need be), here are some ways to make warm shelters for winter time.

http://www.neighborhoodcats.org/info/wintershelter.htm

http://www.indyferal.org/Literature/out_cat_shelter.pdf

I made one using the rubbermaid method, and since I'm in Florida and don't need too much insulation I skipped the inner foam step, but I did price it out, and if I cut up a disposable cooler it would have been less then 20 bucks. I used an old rubbermaid that I had in the garage, and our local feed store let me pick up scrap hay off the ground for free as bedding. I put the hole against the wall to reduce rain from blowing in the hole, and I feed them on top of it so possums can't get into it (they're not great jumpers).

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
#79 of 88 Old 01-07-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Of_60 View Post
People don't let their dogs out to wander the neighborhood and crap in people's gardens, so why it should be Ok for cats is beyond me. If it would bother you that someone took your cat in questioning whether or not it would be warm and fed if left outside, then my suggestion is to keep your cat inside, or tether train it to make sure it never wanders the neighborhood.
I just wanted to say I agree with you, North. I have absolutely no prior experience with cats because I'm allergic and tend to admire them from afar. When I moved here (very rural neighborhood) 5 years ago, a gorgeous all white cat started coming around every once in a while. I did my darned best to get her to trust me and finally got her into a pet carrier and was all set to take her to the no-kill shelter and put up signs and ads so her owners could find her. I couldn't foster her because my dog thinks cats look tasty.

Then, my vet (and others) told me that she was most likely an indoor/outdoor cat and that I was probably keeping her from going home. I was shocked to find out that so many people had indoor/outdoor cats. I just assumed that cats had to be indoor or restrained just like dogs. Since then, I have found out the cat does indeed live in a house nearby. I don't see her much in the winter (I assume her owners keep her in because it is so cold) but she returns every spring.

It is one thing to let a cat roam here, in a rural neighborhood. I still don't agree with it except in rare cases, but at least the traffic isn't close. But in NYC? Are there really indoor/outdoor cats in NYC? And, referring to a previous post, how the heck can it ever be "ethically wrong" to take in a wandering animal as long as you make a sincere effort to find the owner?

OP, thanks for caring for "Sage". I hope you find the owners (or a new home) soon.

Me , 36 year old RN and future AP mom in training . I am wife to one wonderful husband and "mom" to one great rescue pup :.
#80 of 88 Old 02-01-2008, 07:33 PM

Any luck finding Sage a home?

Leigh

#81 of 88 Old 02-01-2008, 08:37 PM

He's beautiful! If you lived close to me I'd take him in a second.

I have to say, that looks like a tomcat head to me, but here's how you tell:

A penis has a round hole. A vulva has a slit opening. If the opening looks like a line, it's a she.
#82 of 88 Old 02-01-2008, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Z View Post
You are absolutely doing the right thing.

A few easy "toys": paper bag...don't know what it is about paper grocery bags, but our cats always loved them. A wad of aluminum foil or paper scrunched up in a ball, a baby sock folded over to make a ball, box, yarn, scrunchies and covered elastic hair do-dads, a straw or pen that can be spun on a hard surface, and unless you want toilet paper everywhere, you might want to take it off the roll because once they discover that you are going to have a mess.
All of this is good, except the bold. Aluminum foil is easily ingested and that can kill an animal.

A scratch post, or twine wrapped tightly around and around a board is nice for cats so they don't ruin your furniture.

I think there is a website--petfinders or something like that.
#83 of 88 Old 02-02-2008, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighann79 View Post
Any luck finding Sage a home?
Arrrggghhh...

No. And I'm now ducking my landord.

My landlord is the sort of guy who thinks he's "funny." I'm the sort of person who doesn't get jokes. We basically hate having conversations.

He called about the cat thing, and I mentioned that I might be taking the cat to Brooklyn but needed a carrier. He started telling me to "put him in a box." Yeah--not doing that driving alone with a six-month-old in a carseat, thanks. Then he started making these... jokes? Like "put him in the trunk... tie him to the bumper..."

Basically, he really freaked me out and now my husband has to talk to him. I don't do it. BUT... he has said the cat must go. And the cat is still here. And I have no idea what to do.

Oh--for those who are wondering--it seems the cat belonged to an old woman around the corner. She died. The cat was put out. At least this is what neighbors have told me.

FTR, I think the whole "outdoor cat" thing is completely unethical. Even in rural areas. Even if the cats "are so happy." In the suburbs? In NYC? It's horrifying. From a Buddhist perspective, I'd call it asking for a pretty inauspicious rebirth. It's also ILLEGAL.
#84 of 88 Old 02-02-2008, 09:23 PM

At least you now know who the cat belonged to. Now you can find a forever home for him/her. I wonder who put the cat out once the owner died?
Gee, I can't imagine doing that. If it's the woman's adult children (surmising that she had some)--then the cat is better off going somewhere other than with them. Ya know?
But since you know that it is unwanted as opposed to lost--you can give it to the person you said would take it earlier in the thread.
#85 of 88 Old 02-02-2008, 09:25 PM

Oh by the way, you might be able to get a cardboard cat carrier at your local SPCA for a few dollars...our local Wal-Mart carries them for less than $15. Maybe the new owner can reimburse you.
I even saw a small pet carrier at our local thrift store--maybe yours has one?
#86 of 88 Old 02-03-2008, 03:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Do you think there is any way that your landlord could let you keep him? Could you offer to pay a pet deposit? Or increase your rent by ten bucks a month (not sure you would want to/be able to afford this?) Or do you think its totally nonnegotiable?

Katherine

Katherine, single homeschooling mom to Boy Genius (17) geek.gif  Thing One (6) and Thing Two (6) fencing.gif and one outgoing Girl (12) bikenew.gif and hoping for more through foster care and adoption homebirth.jpgadoptionheart-1.gif 
#87 of 88 Old 02-03-2008, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Individuation View Post
Arrrggghhh...

No. And I'm now ducking my landord.

My landlord is the sort of guy who thinks he's "funny." I'm the sort of person who doesn't get jokes. We basically hate having conversations.

He called about the cat thing, and I mentioned that I might be taking the cat to Brooklyn but needed a carrier. He started telling me to "put him in a box." Yeah--not doing that driving alone with a six-month-old in a carseat, thanks. Then he started making these... jokes? Like "put him in the trunk... tie him to the bumper..."

Basically, he really freaked me out and now my husband has to talk to him. I don't do it. BUT... he has said the cat must go. And the cat is still here. And I have no idea what to do.

Oh--for those who are wondering--it seems the cat belonged to an old woman around the corner. She died. The cat was put out. At least this is what neighbors have told me.

FTR, I think the whole "outdoor cat" thing is completely unethical. Even in rural areas. Even if the cats "are so happy." In the suburbs? In NYC? It's horrifying. From a Buddhist perspective, I'd call it asking for a pretty inauspicious rebirth. It's also ILLEGAL.
You are a wonderful person for doing this with Sage, taking such good care of him(?) for so long. Okay, so I like Katherine's suggestions about trying to work out a resolution with the landlord IF, and only if, you would like to keep him. Perhaps a security deposit that can be used for any damages that he's afraid will happen. You can write up a contract of things that would be cause for him keeping the deposit, or a contract that would detail any possible damages (or whatever else his concerns are) and what cost you would pay for them upon move out.

If you are not wanting to keep him, and would like to adopt him out, then I think that it's reasonable to have your DH discuss a reasonable time frame with the landlord, and again, asking him if he needs some sort of smaller deposit if he's nervous about damages. Knowing what I know about your communication and your strengths and weaknesses, it seems like having some concrete boundaries and expectations would help you feel less anxious about this.

So, can you have your DH ask for:
1. leeway for keeping the cat and what that would entail OR
2. a chiseled in stone time frame for allowing the cat to remain while you locate a home for it

I wouldn't be above begging or throwing down a "Well, huh. It appears we are at an impasse. I cannot abuse this animal by putting him out in the cold, that is illegal (or something - whatever is true and also supports your position) and inhumane, but I also cannot satisfy you. What compromise can we come to?"

Mama to H (6) B (3) : A (1)
#88 of 88 Old 02-03-2008, 04:55 PM

The poor kitty He is probably very confused, not understanding what happened to his owner or why he was put out

Can you borrow a cat carrier from a friend/neighbor/relative? That way you wont have to buy one to transport.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page