How to get through winter with a dog who refuses to poop in the snow? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-19-2007, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please help! Our dog refuses to poop outside when there is snow on the ground... He's 90% house-broken otherwise (puppy with an accident here and there), and he will pee in the snow, just not #2. I'm guessing the problem is that he can't smell his usual poop spots or something because of the snow cover, but we'll probably be under a white blanket until April or so, and I don't want to go all winter picking up piles in the house...

We do take him out to potty a few minutes after he eats. Long walk, short walk, doesn't matter-- he comes back in the house and poops.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks!

Growing babies, fruits, veges, and chickens on our little urban homestead in the frozen north
#2 of 7 Old 12-19-2007, 03:53 PM

Spread some mulch or shavings on the snow. A small area is all that is needed. And crate in the house if you know he's got to go and didn't while he was outside.
#3 of 7 Old 12-19-2007, 07:21 PM

Our Boxer pup is almost 6 months old and I have to shovel his area. Otherwise the snow is up to his bum!
#4 of 7 Old 12-19-2007, 07:35 PM

What I did with my dog was take her for a walk on leash. I usually gave her 5 minutes, as it was -40 when we moved here. If she did not do her business in that time, she got put in her crate for 15 minutes, then we'd try again. Repeat until she goes. Took a week, and the only time she's pooped in the house since then (was almost 5 years ago) was one time when she was really sick.

Mom to K (06.23.06) & A (09.13.09)
#5 of 7 Old 12-19-2007, 08:11 PM

can you a cheap tarp & make a little covered area for poochie?

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
#6 of 7 Old 12-19-2007, 08:21 PM

If its not below zero, I would teather said dog outside, perhaps with some straw or other warn thing to lay in. The dog WILL eventually poop, I think, thus establishing a pooping spot outdoors.
We trained our cat to go outside by giving him no choice (no litter box inside). You will have to get the smell compleatly out of the floor with vinegar or enzyme, or both. Also perhaps a crate at nigh or when a poop is on the way untill this is established, further removing chance to poo in house.
#7 of 7 Old 12-19-2007, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions! We do use the poop-or-wait in the crate, but I think we have to be way more consistent with it... Tying him outside is not a great option, because he freaks out if he's out while we're in. I do clean floor with vinegar, but I think we need to enzyme clean, too, because I can't smell poop residue, but I'm sure he still can...

He's a Husky-Lab mix and quite long-legged-- right now, snow in most areas might be up to his knees, and on sidewalks that haven't been attended for a day or two might be up to his paw-tops....

Growing babies, fruits, veges, and chickens on our little urban homestead in the frozen north

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page