Our neighbor's cat attacks the other neighborhood cats - Mothering Forums
Pets > Our neighbor's cat attacks the other neighborhood cats
acupuncturemomma's Avatar acupuncturemomma 03:52 AM 02-03-2008
Our neighbor's big male cat has attacked our kitty (female) a few times now, once requiring a trip to the emergency vet and a $400 bill. The most recent attack was not serious--only traumatized our kitty and left her with a slight limp for a day. But we're frustrated and bummed for our kitty!

He has also attacked another neighbor's female cat (again, a trip to the vet and an even higher bill.) Neither of us ever mentioned the vet visits because we didn't want to stir things up (and figure it's not really their fault.)

Is there a point at which we should bring it up? How to go about it?

He seems like an aggressive cat (coming onto our property and the other neighbors' too.)

I realize the only real solution would be to keep our cat inside, but that's not realistic for us.

grahamsmom98's Avatar grahamsmom98 04:03 AM 02-03-2008
Quote:
I realize the only real solution would be to keep our cat inside, but that's not realistic for us.
Why not?? Are you severly allergic?

Cats do NOT belong outside, unless in an enclosed kennel or on a leash.

Be responsible for your pet's safety and that of neighborhood wildlife. Keep your cat inside.
Nan'sMom's Avatar Nan'sMom 04:09 AM 02-03-2008
Yes, do bring it up with them. It's possible they don't know.

Is he neutered? That might help quite a bit if not. If money is an issue, you could research low-cost spay-neuter programs or even give them a voucher (cheaper than repeated vet visits for you!!!).

Last thought is letting your kitty out in an enclosure but not to roam free. We have one made of untreated pine and rabbit wire and the cats love it!

Best of luck!
North_Of_60's Avatar North_Of_60 11:35 AM 02-03-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamsmom98 View Post
Why not?? Are you severely allergic?

Be responsible for your pet's safety and that of neighborhood wildlife. Keep your cat inside.
Yep, I agree. I don't see the point in talking to the neighbor, what are you going say "my cat deserves to be outside more then yours, so keep him inside so he stops attacking mine"? The bottom line is that it's illegal and unethical for cats to be roaming the neighborhood, and you have no right to put your cat above someone else's by asking them to keep their cat in (because that IS the only way to keep them from fighting).

Does your cat have a rabies vaccine and county license tag? I'd bet dollars to donuts it's required by law in your county. In my county the cat HAS to wear the rabies tag, too.
acupuncturemomma's Avatar acupuncturemomma 02:57 PM 02-03-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamsmom98 View Post
Why not?? Are you severly allergic?

Nope, not allergic. She is 14 and spends her time sleeping on the stoop or deck. We have a very small house and the cat is terrified of our toddler--she enjoys her fresh air on the deck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan'sMom View Post
Yes, do bring it up with them. It's possible they don't know.

Is he neutered? That might help quite a bit if not. If money is an issue, you could research low-cost spay-neuter programs or even give them a voucher (cheaper than repeated vet visits for you!!!).

Last thought is letting your kitty out in an enclosure but not to roam free. We have one made of untreated pine and rabbit wire and the cats love it!

Best of luck!
Thanks for the enclosure idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Of_60 View Post
Yep, I agree. I don't see the point in talking to the neighbor, what are you going say "my cat deserves to be outside more then yours, so keep him inside so he stops attacking mine"? The bottom line is that it's illegal and unethical for cats to be roaming the neighborhood, and you have no right to put your cat above someone else's by asking them to keep their cat in (because that IS the only way to keep them from fighting).

Does your cat have a rabies vaccine and county license tag? I'd bet dollars to donuts it's required by law in your county. In my county the cat HAS to wear the rabies tag, too.
Since when is it "illegal" for cats to be outdoors? I'm pretty sure the vet would know if a county license tag is required; he has never mentioned it but I will look into it.

Did I imply that my cat has more rights than the neighbor's cat? Sheesh. Thanks for the "help"
texaspeach's Avatar texaspeach 03:03 PM 02-03-2008
I agree with making a cat run for your kitty! I think that's a great idea.

I would send your neighbor a BILL from your vet. the other person should also send them a bill for their vet costs. the people with the attack cat probably don't realize their cat is aggressive toward other cats, money speaks and I think getting bills for damage their cat caused will give them a big wake up call. It doesn't have to be done rudely, but they do need to be aware of the damage he's doing to others.
North_Of_60's Avatar North_Of_60 03:27 PM 02-03-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by acupuncturemomma View Post
Since when is it "illegal" for cats to be outdoors?
If you look up your local animal control bylaws, you'll probably find one (or all) of the following:

- It is illegal for your pet (cat and/or dog) to defecate on another person's property.

- It is illegal for unsterilized cats to leave your property and wander at large, sometimes it is illegal for pets (cats and/or dogs) to leave your property without supervision regardless of whether or not they have been spayed/neutered.

- It is illegal for pets (cats and/or dogs) to be outside unless restrained with anything other then a breed/species suitable fence, ie; no tethering, and in your case, no allowing them to sit unsupervised on an unenclosed front porch.

- It is illegal for pets (cats and/or dogs) to leave your property with out a county license and rabies tag.

Most cats that are allowed outside fall under one, some, or all of these common animal by-laws.

Quote:
Did I imply that my cat has more rights than the neighbor's cat?
This is an honest question.. but how could your situation be taken otherwise? Both cats are outside unsupervised. Cats are territorial. Cats fight. Either everyone has to keep their cats inside, or one person is assuming their cat has more justification in being outside then another. The only solution to keeping your cat safe right now, since you are unwilling to bring her in, is to ask your neighbor to keep his inside.

As I see it you either have to build a cat enclosure, bring her inside, or accept that outdoor cats can and will fight, and that those fights can get nasty and costly.

Cosco sells a cat enclosure.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...lang=en-US&s=1
BunnySlippers's Avatar BunnySlippers 04:03 PM 02-03-2008
North of 60, except the male cat is coming onto THIER property to get the cats. It is not like the females wander over to his house asking for it.

I would talk to the owners of the male cat. If that resolved nothing I would trap it and find it a new home. We have 2 wandering cats. They no longer come into my yard during daytime hours because of our dog. She loves cats, but they don't know that .
I do believe cats should be indoors in the city, and think the run idea is great.
North_Of_60's Avatar North_Of_60 04:37 PM 02-03-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnySlippers View Post
North of 60, except the male cat is coming onto THEIR property to get the cats. It is not like the females wander over to his house asking for it.
If I let my dogs out in the front (unfenced) yard unsupervised and they got into a fight with another dog, I would either stay out there and supervise them/keep them safe from other wandering animals, bring them inside while they are not being supervised, or build a fence.

How this is any different with a cat?

If after I've taken those precautions I was still having problems with an aggressive dog, I would involve animal control/bylaw.

But really, we have to be as responsible for our OWN pets as much as we expect other people to responsible for theirs. Leaving your pets outside unsupervised without an adequate enclosure is not responsible and puts your animal at risk for injury.

You likely won't have any recourse for recouping vet bills if you are unable to prove you are in control of your pet. I can't prove I'm in control of my dogs if they're in an unfenced yard while I'm inside my home any more than the OP can prove she is control of her loose cat. The cat loose. If she wants to protect the cat, don't leave it loose. Then she can confront the neighbor for his nuisance animal. As it stands, there is no way to prove her cat is any less of a threat to the neighborhood then the neighbors cat.
thekimballs's Avatar thekimballs 04:55 PM 02-03-2008
I should also add that if your old, innocent girl cat does any reciprocal damage to Bad Boy Cat, YOU are legally responsible for his vet bills, EVEN THOUGH he started it, EVEN THOUGH he came on to your property, EVEN THOUGH the damage to your cat is worse.

Pet liability is a huge and growing problem. Homeowners insurance will cover it, but you have a very high probability of then being dropped from your plan. It is honestly a very wise fiscal decision to keep animals from ever wandering.
laoxinat's Avatar laoxinat 01:23 AM 02-04-2008
get a humane trap, take the cat to a vet or the humane society and have him fixed. Then if the neighbor asks, just do this: :
Liea's Avatar Liea 12:20 PM 02-04-2008
I love that your kitty gets to go outside for some fresh air. I know exactly how you feel regarding it. My kitty used to run and hunt in the woods when we lived in the country and is now indoors in a more city-like environment. She hates it. We're working to fence our yard for both our kitty and our dogs so that she can be outside too.

Maybe you can put up special fencing on your deck rails so that it keeps your kitty in and keeps her safe. That way she can lounge outside in the sun, but the other cat can't wander in.

I would definitely inquire as to whether the neighbors cat is neutered though. And I agree with North of 60 as to looking into the pet laws in your area. You don't have to stir things up, just have an honest discussion with your neighbor.

Good luck!
nd_deadhead's Avatar nd_deadhead 12:46 PM 02-04-2008
In our community, the leash laws apply to cats as well as dogs; it is illegal to let either roam the neighborhood (or even lay out on the porch without a fence or leash), but the leash law is not enforced with respect to cats.

A friend of mine had a large pet rabbit. Mostly the rabbit lived in a htch outside, where a neighbor cat loved to tease it. One day the family was outside, and the rabbit was out with them in their fenced yard. The neighbor cat jumped the fence, started to stalk the rabbit - and the rabbit killed the cat.

A cat in our neighborhood killed a young tree by clawing around it until it had scratched off the bark all the way around. The cat owners got to buy a new tree.

Our sandbox (where our 3-yr-old sons played) was often used as a litterbox, until we put up a 5' chain link fence.

Cats are wonderful pets - but they are not always good neighbors, as you have discovered. They can get themselves into trouble, and they can cause damage. They should be supervised or confined outdoors just like pet dog - or kept inside.
Up