Would you adopt a pit bull from the shelter? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 131 Old 03-06-2008, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wouldn't..... I just personally think they are really ugly : and I wouldnt want to have to carry liability insurance on the dog. (bylaw here)
I just personally think there are better breed choices out there for my family.
#122 of 131 Old 03-06-2008, 07:30 PM

I adopted our lab mix from the pound, and she is a wonderful dog in all respects.

I would NEVER adopt a pitbull. Never. Especially around children. They don't seem to be stable: pits trusted by their owners have attacked and killed. I would never be at ease with one of these animals in my house.
#123 of 131 Old 03-06-2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplesugar View Post
I adopted our lab mix from the pound, and she is a wonderful dog in all respects.

I would NEVER adopt a pitbull. Never. Especially around children. They don't seem to be stable: pits trusted by their owners have attacked and killed.

...So have labs and lab mixes. I believe it was a lab who mauled her owner's face in France...she later went on to have the first face transplant but is forever disfigured. The dog never acted aggressively before.

Carolina, tree hugging, treehugger.gif animal loving, backyard chicken keeping, Wife to Dh, homeschooling Mama to Ds1(Aug '06) and Ds2 (Nov '09)

#124 of 131 Old 03-06-2008, 08:39 PM

http://www.understand-a-bull.com/Art...llDogsBite.htm

All dogs are capable of biting. Please stop perpetuating the myth about this breed. How heartbreaking to be confronted with so much ignorance and refusal to do legitimate research.

As members of this board and parents with common principles and processes, do we not research and question vaccine safety, traditional medicine and common parenting beliefs and practices before jumping right in? Why wouldn't you regard this similarly?

The wide spread acceptance of these beliefs are detrimental to all breeds of dogs and their safety. As with any animal...there is propensity to bite, react, protect and defend...owner's who encourage unsavory behavior create dangerous animals. ANY breed of dog can hurt, kill and maim. A Jack Russel Terrier killed a 6 week infant in Ky about a month ago. It didn't create the sensationalism that a "pitbull" attack does however. (Apparently there was also a "pitbull" living in the home...it was however, uninvolved in the incident).

Carolina, tree hugging, treehugger.gif animal loving, backyard chicken keeping, Wife to Dh, homeschooling Mama to Ds1(Aug '06) and Ds2 (Nov '09)

#125 of 131 Old 03-06-2008, 09:51 PM

Quote:
DogMomforNow;10704700]Since you asked:
"During the twenty-year study period between 1979 and 1998, pit bulls and pit bull mixed breeds were responsible for 76 out of 238, or 32% of all reported dog bite fatalities"

What does that have to do with what you orginally said????

Quote:
When you look at dog bite statistics in the US for the number of pit bulls there are a disproportionately high number of bites (ie. if there are 2 bites per hundred basset hounds or westies, there are 10 bites per hundred pit bulls). So people that say that pits or ASTs are no more likely to bite are misled.
How does the CDC fatal dog attack statistics back up your claim that there are 10 bites per 100 pit bulls vs 2 bites per 100 Westies? Where are your statistics that show the percentage of dog bites in relation to breed in the US?

American Pit Bull Terriers are a VERY popular breed in the US. The UKC registers about 100,000 per year and the ADBA registers about 200,000 per year. Some are dual registered so say 250,000 are born each and every year on top of the already existing ones, that is a whole heck of a lot of APBTs, more than most other breeds in the US.

I am always shocked at the responses to the "pit bull" threads on here. The myths people believe, the venom and hatred that is spewed, it is just so shocking to see it on this board.
#126 of 131 Old 03-06-2008, 10:30 PM

It's very important to realize that dog bite statistics are very, very slippery animals. For one thing, they are self-reported, not randomly sampled or controlled. That means that you really have no idea how many bites are actually occurring, only how many bites are being reported. I would guess that when you count small dogs, it's a factor of ten or even a hundred under what the actual situation is. Secondly, dog bite reports rely on the victim's or animal control officer's recognition of breed. This is very unreliable. Third, dog bite statistics don't take into account the population of the breed--as APBTLuv has said, there are probably more pit-type (registered and unregistered genuine pit bull terriers, Am Staffs, dogos, presas, and ten or twelve other breeds) dogs than ANY OTHER breed or type in the US, including Labs. I would venture to say that there are probably more pit-type dogs than the bottom 100 AKC-registered dogs *combined.* So saying that 30% of dog bites come from pits shouldn't be surprising; probably close to 30% of all medium-sized dogs in the US are pit-type dogs or crosses.

Pits are also almost the only breed currently being bred by a very few people to be human-aggressive. Attacks within gang situations or in connection with drugs or drug dealers are probably the result of these dogs, which are RARE and NOT REPRESENTATIVE of the breed. (And don't worry; you won't get one of these dogs in a shelter situation--in order to make a person-aggressive pit, you have to seriously screw with its head, and they are consistently and obviously aggressive and crazy. So unless the intake officer is a complete idiot, bad pits are not going to end up in shelter cages.)
#127 of 131 Old 03-07-2008, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea View Post
I wouldn't..... I just personally think they are really ugly : and I wouldnt want to have to carry liability insurance on the dog. (bylaw here)
I just personally think there are better breed choices out there for my family.
OMG!! How can you think the cutie little pittie faces are ugly???? *dies*
#128 of 131 Old 03-07-2008, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismama View Post
OMG!! How can you think the cutie little pittie faces are ugly???? *dies*
I feel the same way.

This is ugly?

I can't get enough of sweet pittie faces!

treehugger.gif SAHM with a precious toddler and the love of my life, expecting a new little one July 2014!
#129 of 131 Old 03-07-2008, 02:28 AM

I would not own one. Not because I think they are evil vicious monsters who will kill everyone in sight. I actually know quite a few REAL pits whom are very gentle, intelligent agility dogs.

My sister was mauled by a real pit when she was six. It was a dog we had lived with for six months. It was my uncles and he lived right down the road. Shamrock was a lovely dog whom never showed a sign of aggression towards us. Looking back I do see that my uncle did rough play with her quite a bit though I don't know if that had anything to do with it.

One day we were driving our bikes down the road and Shamrock jumped out of the ditch and latched on to my sisters calf. She almost ripped the calf muscle completely off Multiple bites and a rock to the head later she let go and slunk off.

This was a long time ago but I still remember being so incredibly helpless and scared. I know that was an isolated incident but the fear of that "type" of dog is ingrained in me. Irrational though it may be.
#130 of 131 Old 03-07-2008, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismama View Post
omg!! How can you think the cutie little pittie faces are ugly???? *dies*
lol!
#131 of 131 Old 03-07-2008, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekimballs View Post
It's very important to realize that dog bite statistics are very, very slippery animals. For one thing, they are self-reported, not randomly sampled or controlled.
EXACTLY! A coworker of minehas a story she likes to tell about a neighbor who's pug was attacked by a pit bull, resulting in the pug having to be euthanized. I'd seen the dog in question. It's a black lab. When I asked why she keeps saying saying it was a pit bull, the answer keeps coming back to variations of "only a pit bull will attack another dog for no reason". STATISTICALLY, that would be classified as a pit bull attack, more "proof" that pit bulls bad. The problem is, it's not even a pit bull. :

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page