Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How many would you stop at?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 46 Old 04-20-2008, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I think the sixth camel may have been a mistake....

No, seriously, as many as you can care for and keep fulfilled and happy.
#3 of 46 Old 04-20-2008, 04:42 PM

I think it completely depends on indvidual circumstances.

For ME, right now, what I have (2 cats, one ferret) is really my limit.

But in a couple of years, I might be able to handle more.

-Angela
#4 of 46 Old 04-20-2008, 04:55 PM

I think i am at my limit at the moment. We have 2 cats and 2 dogs, and with their personalities, the amount of time, space and money we have i think it is enough. Plus i dont think lucinda the cat would be too happy if we got any more, she is still getting used to the puppy.
#5 of 46 Old 04-20-2008, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well...I remember a guy a few years ago who had over 400 (I think?) cats removed from his home.

That's too many.
#6 of 46 Old 04-20-2008, 06:22 PM

We were at our limit with five cats--then my cousin died and now we have seven.

Really, though, seven cats is our limit. I MEAN IT.
#7 of 46 Old 04-20-2008, 06:28 PM

We have 6 right now, I think we've reached the limit for us.
#8 of 46 Old 04-20-2008, 06:32 PM

Eh...totally depends on life circumstances. For a long time (when my kids were small), a couple of old dogs was more than enough. Now we've got four dogs and a cat, and though we could realistically handle more (and there's this gorgeous boxer at the shelter right now that I would LOVE to bring home) based on time, energy, and space, we can't afford more esp. now with gas prices rising.

computergeek2.gif

#9 of 46 Old 04-20-2008, 06:50 PM

When you can't provide for every single one of them- financially, emotionally, physically (space, time, etc), then you have too many.

We are at our personal limit with 5 pets- 3 cats and 2 dogs. For us, having time to play with, train, walk and clean up after the dogs is considered. So is being able to afford to feed the best food, buy good toys and bones, good shampoo, and pay any and all vet bills that arise. Same is true for the cats, but they require less training time

I see clients all the time who think that more is better; they feel that if they are providing a dwelling and even sub-quality food, they're giving an animal a better home that it would get elsewhere. I think the quality of what kind of life you can give is way more important than how many animals you can shove under your roof.

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#10 of 46 Old 04-20-2008, 07:14 PM

Totally a completely depends!

We have three dogs (two indoors and one outdoors full time), two aquariums, and 20 chickens. At the "ranch" (aka my inlaws ranch) we have 7 horses and oh....60 cows or so.

And I'm looking to adopt a new kitten. So - nope...not too many for us yet. Although a cat ought to finish us up I think. :-D

Angela <><
#11 of 46 Old 04-20-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekimballs View Post
I think the sixth camel may have been a mistake.....
: OMG. ...

but seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayleeZoo View Post
When you can't provide for every single one of them- financially, emotionally, physically (space, time, etc), then you have too many.
:

It's "too many" if you can't provide WELL for them.
#12 of 46 Old 04-20-2008, 08:23 PM

we just got our second dog. I am still activly training the first. Its tough, annoying, frustratin,im still learning. (as most can see from the majority of my posts) but I love it. I love dogs. I can totally see myself with another 1 (or 2 maybe) BUT not now. Our house is definatly only the size for 2 dogs. We will be moving within the next few years, so when we look , we will be looking for more space.
I :
#13 of 46 Old 04-20-2008, 10:17 PM

I have 3 dogs and 2 cats, and the last cat was not planned, and I feel at my limit. I wanted two rats, but I backed out. Just can't do it right now.

Plus, we're in the throws of more vet bills at the moment, and I get nervous and twitchy at the prospect of all FIVE pets needing vet attention at the same time. It's probably not very likely, but I still don't like thinking about it.

If I had more help I'd be able to do more, but I have no family of my own down here (I'm from Canada and am living in the US), so I only have DH's relatively small family to rely on. If I had more help with my daughter I'd have more time for the animals, and then I'd probably be able to have more, but I don't, so I'm not going to stress myself out trying to do EVERYTHING. I know my limit, and I'm pretty sure I'm at it.

Everyone is different though. I know families who have tripled our head count, and they are all well cared for and happy.

Have said all that, in our county, I think the legal limit is 3 dogs and 3 cats. Last I looked anyway.

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
#14 of 46 Old 04-20-2008, 10:29 PM

We're at maximum capacity with two dogs and three rats.

I spent a grand at the vet's office last week. I'll go back for a couple hundred more in 3wks.

The vet bills are a huge consideration--plus quality food and supplies and whatnot, but time and energy are equally important.

Why do you ask?

homeschool.gif mom to dd (11) read.gifand dd (9) crochetsmilie.gif and ds (3) bikenew.gif and  dog2.gif(x2)
#15 of 46 Old 04-20-2008, 10:34 PM

My personal limit is three or four, but we do better with just two. We have two cats and one dog now. Not enough time for the dog (we had to take it when my MIL couldn't care for it anymore) but it is the situation for now. The two cats are easy.
#16 of 46 Old 04-21-2008, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
I think it completely depends on indvidual circumstances.

In the past, we've had upwards of 15 pets and that was fine. But right now we have four cats and one house bunny, and they are more than enough work/responsibility.
#17 of 46 Old 04-21-2008, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekimballs View Post
I think the sixth camel may have been a mistake....
Oh darn, I have an extra camel here and was hoping I could ship it to you.

Quote:
No, seriously, as many as you can care for and keep fulfilled and happy.
ITA. Each person's number is different.
#18 of 46 Old 04-21-2008, 02:27 AM

Right now, one dog is our limit. With the semi-nomadic (school years in Alaska, summers in Wisconsin) kind of living we do, one dog is a lot to handle. We fly him with us, which is expensive and kind of difficult and stressful for all involved (human and canine). We also spend significant time staying with family (my parents and DH's parents), and while all involved are dog lovers and welcome Loki into their home with open arms, I could never justify invading their houses with an entire flock of animals, nor am I the kind of person who can just leave my dog(s) behind for long periods of time. We're having to do this while we're in Anchorage for the baby's birth, and it breaks my heart. He'll be well cared-for; the person watching him will spend at least an hour hanging out at the house with him, but I just take dog ownership too seriously to do it half-@$$ed.

Given boundless monetary resources, a securely fenced farm property, and enough time to play with them all every day (playing with dogs just makes me happy ), however, I can see myself owning a small flock of dogs. BUT, given the fact that I will likely never be independently wealthy and able to just while away my time frolicking with canine friends, we'll probably settle on a comfortable two or three dogs once we feel our lifestyle is more multi-dog friendly.

If I weren't allergic, I'd consider a cat or two since they're pretty low-maintenance and DH likes 'em and has owned 'em in the past, and I want an aquarium (again, once we have a more permanent home that we stay in year-round), and I've always liked lizards and snakes...

Can you tell I'm kind of an animal person?

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#19 of 46 Old 04-21-2008, 03:12 AM

We have 13 animals, and I'm now waiting to have enough money to buy some kind of parrot. I keep getting pets because the ones we have (apart from a few issues with our newest kitten) are easy to deal with, but I think after the parrot we'll be done for a while.

Lu - A ten year plan is forming, here's hoping everything lines up
#20 of 46 Old 04-21-2008, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
As many as you can financially, spacially, medically, emotionally take care of and still meet all their needs.

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#21 of 46 Old 04-21-2008, 12:32 PM

I think as many as you can physically, financially, emotionally and socially care for well! I think that is the limit. I think with a large family here that my upper limit for cats will be 3-4. We will very likely be adopting another persian in the next year or two. My DD has her eye on one already , and when she's done with her breeding career she'll come live with us.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#22 of 46 Old 04-21-2008, 12:33 PM

I have one dog and two cats and that's too much for me! My housemate has one dog two cats and she wants more. She has no children though.
#23 of 46 Old 04-21-2008, 12:36 PM

I maintain that anyone having more than two pets has a problem.

: I've had four cats and a dog at once.

Now we have one very large dog and one cat, and that's plenty.
#24 of 46 Old 04-21-2008, 12:44 PM

We have two dogs and a cat and that is more than enough for us. We got the pets before the child and then we have since had a financial down turn, so the vet bills suck (not to mention the animals are getting older so we have more reasons to go, and we moved and the vets here are more expensive, we had a cheap one at our last place).
#25 of 46 Old 04-21-2008, 01:01 PM

I feel the limit is how many you can care for well and not feel overwhelmed.

We have 2 dogs and 3 cats. I'd be okay adding fish and maybe a frog. That's my limit though.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#26 of 46 Old 04-21-2008, 01:19 PM

i agree with the others it depends on the family. we have 2 german shepherds right now, a 5yo and a 1.5yo. we want another dog, but we have a 6.5 month old baby, and we know we cant handle another dog to train right now, it wouldnt get the attention it deserved. plus we're moving this summer, and its gonna be hard enough going cross country with a baby and two dogs, lol

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#27 of 46 Old 04-21-2008, 02:10 PM

Like others said, it's a matter of what you can afford to give them financially and emotionally. I feel like we are over our limit with 2 dogs and 3 cats. Financially, we can give them what they need in terms of food, shelter, medical care, etc., but I don't think that two of our cats get as much attention as they deserve. Luckily, they are a mama/son combo and give each other a lot of affection, but I still feel bad when they each only get about 10 minutes of concentrated, individual lovies each day.
#28 of 46 Old 04-21-2008, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Right now we have one dog, which is just right for us. We travel a lot, and we don't have room in the vehicle for another dog (poor Topper doesn't always have enough room, without sitting in someone's lap).

DH is currently teaching a microbiology class, which is taking a LOT of his time - when he's finished in a month, we're going to start rebuilding our fish population, which dropped off due to an unfortunate accident. We have 3 large tanks, which is sometimes more than enough, but neither DH nor my son (one of the tanks is in his room) will give them up.

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

#29 of 46 Old 04-21-2008, 06:32 PM

I agree with everyone here, it just depends on the individual, we have 3 dogs, 2 cats, and 2 birds. The only ones that don't get attention is the birds cause they peck and could fly away. We want to get another dog eventually, I want a girl, cause with three boys, you don't get to use the cute clothes lol. I love old navy for their dog clothes
#30 of 46 Old 04-22-2008, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't think there is a number limit. i think it depends on each pets personality and needs. the amount of spce and money you have (lets face it, pets are expensive - the price for getting them and all their supplies, vet care, quality food, grooming etc . . .). I would hestitate to look around and say "we can get this many", but rather take it one pet at a time and then after a while see if it is time to add another and see how that goes. i think it is also important to consider your neighbors rolerance etc

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page