A lump on my dogs chest- I'm scared - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-22-2008, 02:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My big guy, is a full blood rott and is 8+ he was found 7 years ago so I don't know his age exactly. For the past 6 months or so he has had a bump on his chest about the diameter of a golf ball. I keep a pretty close eye on it and within the past few weeks it has grown. It is now the diameter of a tennis ball. Not as thick though. Since I keep my dogs thin seeing it is easy. I've tried to move it around and it feels attached to his ribs. We are going to the vets for a consult on Wensday. I'm hoping they will remove it and send it to the lab to see what it is.

I'm scared. I love this dog so much and really can't wait till the day that I have my first child, because I know Cerberus would love to have a babe to watch out for. Just this past week we hung out with my brothers family. There were 6 kids there and he was so happy to be running and playing with the kids. Well at one point he was barely in sight and I told him to come back, I was busy helping my brother so when he didn't come I didn't immediately go get him. Well a little bit latter and a few more calls and he still didn't come so I went to get him. And then I found the reason he didn't come. My youngest nephew, 16 months, had wandered away from his mom and was standing in the road. My dog was standing beside him. I'm so afraid he will never have his own kids to look out for.

Thanks for letting me vent...Now if I could only convince my Boyfriend to ttc sooner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 04-22-2008, 03:06 AM

Given his age and its location, my guess is either a lipoma (benign, no worries at all) or a mast cell tumor (needs to be excised, but once it is you're usually clear). Please keep us updated.
#3 of 3 Old 04-23-2008, 09:08 AM

My 8yo golden has this too. I just noticed it last week. It's about the size of a golf ball, and on his ribs like you described. A few of my friends think it's just a fatty deposit, and nothing to worry about. We are going to the vet today and I am going to have him look at it, of course.

I know what you mean though about how scary it is to think of your beloved pet being possibly sick! Keep us updated. Hopefully it will be nothing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page