Puppy Pics *NEW* post #320-322 - Page 11 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#301 of 531 Old 06-24-2008, 10:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am sorry to put so much on your plate, but with the crate situation it would be AWESOME if you could call the airport again and ask if they sell the proper kennels right there (and if so, for how much). A LOT of airlines do.
#302 of 531 Old 06-25-2008, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Amtrak does not allow any pets except service dogs.

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

#303 of 531 Old 06-25-2008, 10:51 AM

OK! I think I have found a crate solution that is pretty dang cheap.

You can do this from one of two sources; I would imagine this should be sent to TN, not sent to yourself and then mailed to TN.

Petedge:
http://www.petedge.com/Petmate-Airli...it-DO29031.pro
plus
http://apparelandaccessories.petedge...CategoryId=241

Dog.com
http://www.dog.com/item/petmate-delu...-jr-dog-crate/
plus
http://www.dog.com/item/lbl-live-animals-sticker/
plus two of these
http://apparelandaccessories.petedge...CategoryId=241

For "small" crates...

PetEdge ships UPS Ground for a total of $41 to TN
Dog.com ships FedEx Ground for a total of $34 to TN

For "medium" crates... PetEdge = $45, Dog.com = $38
#304 of 531 Old 06-25-2008, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

I will definatly call and ask the airlines if they sell the kennels. My only worry there would be if I got there and they were all sold out of the size I needed. That would really suck.

My poor head is spinning right now :

Dog.com
Medium Veri Kennel=$18.99
Live Animal Sticker=$.59
Food/Water dish=$1.58
Shipping=$8.95
Shipping weight=$5.25
Total=$39.36

PetEdge.com
Medium Kennel Cab=$19.99
Sticker/water/food kit=$2.79
Minimum order fee=$6.99
Shipping=$15.90
Total=$45.67

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#305 of 531 Old 06-25-2008, 01:04 PM

The ears rule is very mysterious to me. I have DEFINITELY shipped and received dogs when the ears would touch the top--and nobody has ever said anything to me. As long as the dog can stand up and turn around, it doesn't need to keep its head up at some high angle to do that.

The corgis (which are ALL head and ears ) came in a medium crate at age 10-12 weeks; they were 10+ lb at that point. I am absolutely sure that at that age they could have made their ears touch the top of the crate. When we shipped a Sussex Spaniel back to his owner, he went in an Intermediate crate and he was 50 lb!

Hmmmm... very strange...
#306 of 531 Old 06-25-2008, 01:29 PM

Missed the post about the ears rule, but either of those kennels would be fine with me.

Wanna hear something crazy? Dh always sends me the Facebook horoscope and yesterday it said the number 8 would figure prominently.

If you look at the forecast for TN that MCat posted, the projected high every day for like two weeks is 88.

It's a sign, I tell you!
#307 of 531 Old 06-25-2008, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

The airlines does not sell crates So that option is out.

I also called and got flight times and priceing and will be sending PM's with that information shortly. Though every time I call someone tells me a bit different on the price.

Temps goes with take off times so not the overall high for the day. So that is a good thing. they use weather.com to check temps which is updated hourly. There are no night flights only morning. With the layovers I think it is going to work out actually.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#308 of 531 Old 06-25-2008, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Here is were I read that about the ears:

http://www.nwa.com/travel/animals/cskennelreq.html#size
Quote:
Size

If transporting a dog or cat, the kennel must be large enough to permit the animal to stand and sit erect, turn around and lie in a natural position.
The animal's (dog or cat) head - including its ears, must not touch the top while sitting or standing inside the kennel. A good rule-of-thumb is to stand the animal next to the kennel. If its head or ears extend beyond the top of the kennel, a larger kennel will be required.
Kennels for pets other than dogs or cats must be large enough to allow the animal to stand, sit and lay.
Kennels whose combined length, width and height are less than 45 inches (114 cm) are not permitted since they are not of sufficient size or strength to safely contain your pet.

#309 of 531 Old 06-25-2008, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

If you all have the time it would be great if you could double check by calling NWA 1-800-692-2746 and make sure I am not screwing this up. I told them Medium carrier when I called but you can check small if you want as well. They go by weight and I am thinking it wont be much over 10pds. I know the puppies wont weigh that much but no idea what a carrier weighs.

I just know I am totally gonna screw up somehow : I am trying my best but I have never delt with airlines before or done anything like this.

#310 of 531 Old 06-25-2008, 02:28 PM

I have been reading this thread since the beginning. I am super excited for you all. I just wanted to share that I kept my brother's lab while he was in boot camp and then shipped Rock to him because he was stationed in CA (we live on the East coast). I stressed like crazy, read way to much; because I read too many rules. It all went as smooth as silk.

I wouldn't worry "too" much about the size of the crate. As long as the puppy doesn't look uncomfortable they won't say anything. I think its more important to get the crate so you can get the puppies use to them before they travel. Another lady's dog was wimpering and they questioned her much more than they questioned me. Rock was very content in his crate.

You can buy sheets of sticky pages at walmart and print you own stickers. Use a marker to add in the arrow if you can't do it on the computer.

I used duct tape to tape two water bottles and a ziplock with food onto the top of the crate. I used a black sharpie to write on the tape the last time the dog had food.

Take a sharpie with you to the airport. If you accidentally leave something you can add it with the sharpie and it should satisfy them. I "saved" the other lady I mentioned before by lending her my sharpie.

Prices could change at the last minute. Mine changed a bit based on the weight of the kennel with Rock in it and all the stuff attached.

Come to think of it I think you could tape on gladware type containers of food and water and they would count those as the food and water dishes.

Best wishes to all!!!
#311 of 531 Old 06-25-2008, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for that. I figure things will go well but I am a worrier by nature I have a bit of thought OCD and have a tendency to get stuck on the little stuff.

I want to go ahead and get the carriers so that the puppies can get used to them. I was going to put them in and drive them around a bit and go visit so they would know what was happening to a extent when I did. Some of them will react better than others I think and I want to get a feel for how they will do.

I am trying to expose them to as many new things as possible right now. They got to play in the sandbox yesterday that was fun to watch. Brother has been taking them in the house on occasion for brief visits just to tick mom off A few of them have had short little rides on the 4 wheeler.

#312 of 531 Old 06-25-2008, 03:02 PM

You are doing AWESOME. I know I'm hugely impressed.

I think that once each of us gets the flight information (or the possible flights, if there are more than one), we should call the airline ourselves and confirm pricing (the crate will be about 7-8 lb, and the puppies maybe 4-5, add 1 more for the bag of food and the dishes) so we can get the correct amount of money to MCatLvr.
#313 of 531 Old 06-25-2008, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you thekimballs

So say 8pd crate, 5pds puppy, 1pd food and dishes = 14pds

I know when she was asking me for the crate size that it would be off because no 2 crates seems to be the same size :

Any money that I get over what is needed I will refund it or put it in the "Spay Jill" fund whichever the sender wishes.

I mentioned before but I will say again that I will provide copies of the reciepts via email to everyone so you know exactly were your money is going.

#314 of 531 Old 06-25-2008, 03:54 PM

You are absolutely doing an AMAZING job with all of this!

I am an over-worrier, too. Before dh and I went on our cruise last year I researched SO MUCH about airports, cruises, etc. I stressed myself out trying to make sure I had covered every single detail and in the end it all went much smoother than I expected.
#315 of 531 Old 06-25-2008, 03:55 PM

I'll phone NWA again today to double-check prices.
#316 of 531 Old 06-25-2008, 10:42 PM

Here is where I got Ulysses' first crate. They shipped quickly, and most or all of their crates have free or really cheap shipping. I didn't really peruse it to see what they have, but it may be another cheaper option.

That video of HighBall is SO CUTE! I love how he did a flying pounce
#317 of 531 Old 06-25-2008, 10:52 PM

How about this one? Is it too big?

* Measures 24L x 16.3W x 14.8H inches
* Airline-approved, heavy-duty plastic shells
* Wire vents and door with dial-latch lock
* Raised interior floor
* Non-corroding plastic wing nuts
* Neutral clay color

$29 and free shipping.
#318 of 531 Old 06-25-2008, 11:01 PM

Hey Seven...

MCat told me that the temp is at the time the flight is taking off, not the forecast high for the day.

So even though you are above 85F this time of year, you could still take one home with you.

Just sayin'...
#319 of 531 Old 06-25-2008, 11:11 PM

I know... I'm going to be sad when HighBall doesn't come to live with me. I can live vicariously through you guys though
#320 of 531 Old 06-25-2008, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

The Veri kennel you linked to is on sale on one of the links that thekimballs provided for about 10 less. I am hoping that I can get the kennel from wal mart and save a lot on shipping. My goal is to keep the cost down as much as possible while getting the best available. I was going to go tonight and look but dh was to tired to watch the kids and I didnt want to drag them out it would have made the trip longer.

Some pictures :

Poor Jill Cant you just see the "so tired of this/help me" look on her face Jill Uggghhh & From behind they are pretty much holding her up

Pinky

Pinky

Wrinkles

Wrinkles

Wrinkles & Pinky

KnotHead

#321 of 531 Old 06-25-2008, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

More pictures:

Blaze

This is Finn he has a black line across his forhead in this picture

In this picture you can see the ~ shape on the back of Finns neck pretty sure it is a cowlick of sorts. If you rub it you can feel it but it pops right back up

I shared these with mommyswenn since Finn is hers earlier today but wanted to show him off here as well.

I missed getting any of HighBall yesterday he wouldnt be still long enough

#322 of 531 Old 06-25-2008, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

This is how small they were when they were born:

Black puppy and brown puppy

I almost forgot to add that Blaze (one of the black and brown males) went and sprouted a tiny little back dewclaw on one leg it was either to small before now for me to see or I just missed it somehow when I was checking DC's

#323 of 531 Old 06-26-2008, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

I got accurate weights and measurements on everyone. It was simple really run them around till they fall over asleep :

The hight is from ground to top of head. Give or take a 1/4 inch

Wrinkles 2p 6.8oz Hight little less than 7inches
HighBall 3p 7.2oz Hight 9 inches
Finn 2p 14.2oz Hight 7.5 inches
Blaze 3p 0.8oz Hight 8.5 inches
KnotHead 2p 11.4oz Hight 7 inches
Pinky 2p 8.5oz Hight little less than 7 inches
Gizmo 2p 12.4oz Hight 7 inches

Great news on the carrier issue I can get a Medium 23 X 15.5 X 11.84 at wal mart so I can save a bunch on shipping. I still have to order the stickers and food/water dish offline but that wont cost much at all. I am not home right now so I dont have the prices but tonight when I get there I will sent out PM's for the total.

Did everyone get my PM yesterday??

I am getting everyone going on the plane a small colar with a tag with the puppies name (temp name for most) my phone number and the county and state were they are coming from. Just in case something happens and so that the new owner can have a keepsake since they will outgrow the colar pretty fast I think. Each puppy will also have a toy in there that they are familiar with so they can have a comfort object.

#324 of 531 Old 06-26-2008, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

I keep forgetting to ask but how will I prove how old they are? Is it just my word to the vet then she puts it on something??

#325 of 531 Old 06-27-2008, 12:13 AM

Yep, just tell her how old they are.
#326 of 531 Old 06-27-2008, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter

OK :

#327 of 531 Old 06-27-2008, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey,
Just to let you know I got your pm, Ill respond to it when I have few moments. I just check this thread obcessively to see whats new :

Decluttering 500/2010
#328 of 531 Old 06-27-2008, 11:23 AM

I phoned NWA this morning and this is what they told me (figured I would post it here rather than just PMing MCAT b/c so that we can all see it). Some of this info will be specific to Finn, so you may want to phone yourself: 1-800-692-2746 (opt. 7)

There are two ways to ship a pet -- VIP and general cargo.

If there isn't a direct flight, then any pet going to be shipped using the general shipping method MUST go through either Detroit or Minneapolis/St. Paul as these are the only two airports with kenneling facilities. Or maybe if that is only if there is a longer than 4-hour layover between flights. (I knew I should have had more coffee before I called!)

Anyhoo...

General shipping is only available on weekdays because the kennelling facilities are closed Sat/Sun.

Cost for general shipping of a dog our puppies' size is $225-230 (incl. taxes), plus $60 kennelling fee. These costs have in fact gone up since I first phoned and was quoted $170 (plus tax) for shipping and $50 for kennelling.

If you are using the VIP shipping method, it can be done pretty much anytime, including weekends. In Finn's case, he will also arrive in Great Falls at 1:06pm instead of 10:45pm so there is no kennelling involved.

The cost for VIP shipping is $260 plus tax, so right around $290. Which makes it essentially the same price as general cargo would be (with kennelling).

The airline must have 24 hours to 10 days' notice of the animal being shipped. You can't pay a head of time with a credit card, payment for the animal must be made at the time of shipping (obviously b/c it's based on weight, etc.) They do not need a credit card to "reserve" a spot in the cargo hold for the dog.

What else... oh! Temps -- she said that b/c Finn's flight is leaving TN so early in the morning (8:40am), the temperature should be under the 85F cut off and not a concern. Even in MSP (flight leaves at 11-something) it shouldn't be a problem. I asked her what would happen if the weather was above 85F in MSP and she said they would just hold Finn until the evening flight when temps were lower (but she assured me repeatedly that it would be extremely rare for it to be that warm in MSP that early in the day).

MCat, I know you've had some really frustrating calls w/ unhelpful jerks : but my experiences have been awesome. Today we were laughing and joking around, she told me to have a fabulous weekend, couldn't believe it when I said I'd never been in a Target store, recommended certain menu items when I told her we were going to hit an Applebee's for dinner in Great Falls...

I think that was everything.
#329 of 531 Old 06-27-2008, 11:39 AM

Dh and I are trying to decide whether to fly pup out or pick him up ourselves. The only think is we'll be out no where near there next week. Would that be too early?
#330 of 531 Old 06-27-2008, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for that information mommyswenn. I got a few good operators a time or 2 but that last call I made he sucked but in his defence it was quiting time so I guess his mind was on going home.

The reason they have to weigh at check in is because they charge .44cents per pound fuel charge. I am hoping that it is less than 14pds and it probably will be but compaired to fuel cost in cars .44cents isnt all that bad I dont think.

The puppies will be 46 days old on the 1st of July so almost 7 weeks (7 weeks the 4th). Jill has started growling and snapping a bit so she is already started the weaning process I really dont blame her. As you can see from the pics I posted they are making her nuts.

I am a bit worried about getting the stickers here on time if I dont order them soon.

The puppies are all doing great. They learned what rain was for the first time yesterday and they were not to thrilled with the experiance. Still working on the "come here" thing. Blaze and KnotHead are my 2 timid guys. Anything new it takes them several minutes to adjust but when they do they are 100% ok with it. The 2 girls gizmo and pinky just jump right in to anything new with barly looking first The rest of the boys are a mix with HighBall being the most outgowing followed by Wrinkles then Finn.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page