Puppy Pics *NEW* post #320-322 - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#481 of 531 Old 07-15-2008, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nope you havnt at all. I love getting updates. If I thought I wouldnt sound to nuts I would ask for hourly updates

Since he had the combo vax or what would have been 6 weeks vax here he would just need the boosters that come after that first shot. Not sure what those cosist of though :

I am glad he is doing so well with you I knew he would once he settled in. I am sure given time he will get the house training right. My mom said you can always tell when they are gonna go poo because their bottom starts to pooch out and I have noticed it now that I am looking for it looking at puppy bottoms never thought I would be doing that on a regular basis

thekimballs that is so exciting I think HighBall is definatly the best suited for that kind of life cause he adapts so easy to knew things. Cant wait to see pictures of him I am missing them all

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#482 of 531 Old 07-15-2008, 04:57 PM

Oh, my Lord, the CUTE! :
#483 of 531 Old 07-16-2008, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

BunnySlippers I just sent you a PM with pricing for the flight. Please get back to me ASAP

How are the puppies doing everyone? On pins and needles waiting to see pictures *hint hint*

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#484 of 531 Old 07-16-2008, 08:00 PM

I have like fifty pics on my camera--and I can't find the cable! I suck!
#485 of 531 Old 07-16-2008, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

: Finding vibes to thekimballs :

#486 of 531 Old 07-16-2008, 08:59 PM

Hooray! Found it.

First--yes, the food and water was safely wired on. The crate looked intact and good. Vax records were there, easy to find. You did good.

His name is now Elvis. Coming from where he did, I think that's pretty good. My kids insist that his full name is Farnsworth "Elvis" Montague III, because he's such a big guy in a small package.

OK, pics: these are from playgroup; the little blond kids are not mine.

Doing what he does 90% of his day, chewing on one of my kids.

Ferociously attacking a stick

Just looking cute

Fancy dance move (he was actually whipping around to attack my knee)

Chewing on another kid. That's mine with the red hair and the very dirty face and the expression of doom. Cutie blond is a friend.
#487 of 531 Old 07-16-2008, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Love the name or should I say names I definatly think they suit him.

He looks so happy and he looks like he has grown a bit to the others recently had a growth spurt I guess he has as well.

Do you think his longer legs are from the long legged JR terrier? they still have that little bow on the front and the ankle though like a doxie. Other than the legs being longer he looks like Pippin and Finn.

#488 of 531 Old 07-16-2008, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post
Nope you havnt at all. I love getting updates. If I thought I wouldnt sound to nuts I would ask for hourly updates

Since he had the combo vax or what would have been 6 weeks vax here he would just need the boosters that come after that first shot. Not sure what those cosist of though :

I am glad he is doing so well with you I knew he would once he settled in. I am sure given time he will get the house training right. My mom said you can always tell when they are gonna go poo because their bottom starts to pooch out and I have noticed it now that I am looking for it looking at puppy bottoms never thought I would be doing that on a regular basis

thekimballs that is so exciting I think HighBall is definatly the best suited for that kind of life cause he adapts so easy to knew things. Cant wait to see pictures of him I am missing them all

So he did have his first shots at 6 weeks? I thought he hadn't had any?
And I have noticed the bottom thing. : When I see that happen I make sure he goes out *right away*. We don't always catch him quick enough though.

And I am really tempted to change his name if one more person asks me if we named him because of Lord of the Rings. :

I just noticed your other post. What's going on with thekimballs?
#489 of 531 Old 07-16-2008, 09:41 PM

I was just updating her on where the puppy was going to end up (with my sister) and that he'll be an international traveler.

MCatLuvr, the legs look like that because they're growing so fast. It's called "knuckle" (as in "I can tell he's a puppy because he's still got a lot of knuckle") and all puppies look a little bit like that because the knuckle is where the growth plate is. It looks really wide and the leg appears to bow a little bit, but it's actually all just growing bone. His legs will look straight, like a big Jack Russell, when he's done growing.
#490 of 531 Old 07-16-2008, 10:00 PM

I completely misunderstood her post. Guess I should fully read the other posts first.

When I read "finding vibes" I thought somehing had happened to pup. Duh, she meant camera cord. (((blush)))
#491 of 531 Old 07-16-2008, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maeve View Post
So he did have his first shots at 6 weeks? I thought he hadn't had any?
No he hasnt had any shots. I was just saying he would need the same shot they get at 6 weeks here when he does get them. At least I think he will. Or he may just need a booster instead of starting from the very begining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekimballs
MCatLuvr, the legs look like that because they're growing so fast. It's called "knuckle" (as in "I can tell he's a puppy because he's still got a lot of knuckle") and all puppies look a little bit like that because the knuckle is where the growth plate is. It looks really wide and the leg appears to bow a little bit, but it's actually all just growing bone. His legs will look straight, like a big Jack Russell, when he's done growing.
Ah ok ty I didnt know that not having much experiance with puppies and dogs really. Even though I have owned many. Thank you for the picture of the long legged JR that helps me see things more clearly. I did see some while I was looking around to find what they may look like when grown but didnt look at any pure blood JR with long legs.

#492 of 531 Old 07-16-2008, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Oh I wanted to share some good news about Blaze the one going to brothers boss. He took him today and his new name is Clark and he will be a inside dog not only that but he will also be a store mascot of sorts at the weld shop my brother works at

It does appear that even though he hates cats he feels differently about dogs. So while not thrilled that he ended up with Blaze it could have been worse and brother will be able to see him almost every day.

thekimballs would you mind sharing some of your tips on house training? and anyone else as well that wants to throw them in there I havnt brought Brummy home yet because I am scared of accidents but he definatly needs to start training soon I know and I want to do things right from the begining so that I am not trying to fix problems later on down the road.

BunnySlippers when I bring Brummy home I will be bringing Pinky here as well so that she can get used to be in the house and making road trips.

#493 of 531 Old 07-16-2008, 11:02 PM

House training in such a tiny baby is 99% management--you help the puppy never make a mistake, until it's so habitual that the puppy just doesn't even conceive of going inside.

I carry the puppy out in the morning, assign a kid to watch him, he plays like a maniac and they praise him when he pees and poops, he comes in to play right where I can watch him, goes out again on a leash so I can name the pee and praise it, comes in for a nap. Repeat. He's taking maybe 3-4 enforced naps in his crate, spending at least 4 one-hour periods outside, playing inside, and sleeping 8 hours at night. He's such a great little guy.

He's had a couple of accidents but we're well on our way.
#494 of 531 Old 07-16-2008, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

I can handle that

#495 of 531 Old 07-17-2008, 11:44 AM

I need some tips, I think...

Finn HATES the harness we got for him. He's still wearing his collar (has it on all the time) and it doesn't seem to bother him, but if we put the harness on him he will barely walk. I thought I would put it on him and then run around the yard with him (usually he runs like a maniac ) but he would take two steps, sit down and scratch at the harness, take two more steps, repeat. Then he just sat there and whined at me... so pitiful. :P I left it on for a bit after we came in, in the hopes that he would get used to it, but he just lay in his bed and looked at me with these baleful eyes... He's kind of sucky, lol.

The harness doesn't pull/rub behind his front legs, so I don't think that's it. I don't want to walk him on a leash w/ just the collar, but I will try it (and just not let any of the kids hold the leash) to see if that makes a difference. I can (and will) also take him to the pet store to have him fitted for a harness. That's what my mil did with their doxies (they have two long-hairs).

Also... crate training. The second night (maybe it was the first?) he crawled into his kennel on his own and went to sleep. Just once. Since then, if I try to put him in it, he cries and cries. Do I just leave him? It seems a lot like CIO... but eventually he is going to be home alone, and no way can he roam the house while we're not here.

Also, he's not sleeping 8 hours at night, ~maybe~ six... Like last night he crashed at around 11:00 and then was up for the day at 5:00am... I gotta tell you, the cute is somewhat diminished that early in the morning...

I'm taking him out in the yard probably 5-6 times a day for about half an hour at a time. Dd#1 seems to like it best when he's sleeping on her, on the couch (she's a bit of a potato, that one ) but I've been trying to encourage her to spend more time outside with him. It would be good to get him on a leash so she can at least walk him... it would do them both good, I think.

Also, he's only eating maybe 1/4 - 1/3 cups of food per day (Orijen puppy). The bag says for his size/age it should be 3/4 - 1 1/4 cups... He's peeing and pooping lots and looks good (no ribs sticking out, etc.)

One last thing... he has some brown gunk in the folds of his ears. There's no discharge from the canals or anything, but dh thinks it might be ear mites. Thoughts? Do Elvis (love the name, btw!) or Pippin have this as well?
#496 of 531 Old 07-17-2008, 12:14 PM

I'll take another look, but we haven't noticed anything.

Pip hated the crate. He scratched so much that I thought he would hurt himself. We use a portion of a supergate and he seems to like that more.
#497 of 531 Old 07-17-2008, 12:35 PM

Maeve, I was thinking of getting something like that instead as well. Big enough that his bed, food and water and a couple of toys can be in there with him, but that keeps him in the kitchen (on lino instead of hardwood) and out of trouble.
#498 of 531 Old 07-17-2008, 01:28 PM

You guys need harder hearts!

Seriously, a routine is EVERYTHING with a puppy. You put in place the schedule you want, of course making sure that it's good for him and humane, and you make it happen. It's not CIO when it's a puppy--their moms are not primates, they're wolves. And in a wolf pack you stay where you're put, even if you complain.

Of COURSE they are freaking about their collars and any controlling devices--they've never used them before. I would forget harnesses for now--they don't train a puppy to do anything. Think about how you'd feel being dragged forward from behind your elbows--wouldn't you just lock your feet and fight back? Harnesses are OK for tiny dogs when you're doing a casual walk and don't actually WANT to control them, but for training they're kind of useless. Use a properly fitting collar (be sure to watch this! They're going to be growing out of their puppy collars very, very soon--I already switched Elvis into an 8-12" collar from the collar he came with) or use a thin British slip lead.

And then just start walking. Encourage him to come, get all squeaky, bend down, call him, use treats, but YOU make the decision about where he goes. It's a very gentle insistence. Elvis still gets confused sometimes, but he's basically getting it now and sticks close and trots along with his leash on.

Crating--it's absolutely fine if you use an ex pen instead of a crate, as long as you realize that he WILL pee in there. Baby puppies can't be in a big area and be expected to hold it. If you're willing to build that habit now, with the idea that he'll always have an option of peeing in an ex pen (which is a perfectly legitimate way to raise a tiny dog), make sure he's got a clear demarcation between bed/food and piddle pad, so he has a place to sleep and a place that is acceptable to pee/poop. That's the way we're raising Elvis at my sister's house, because there will be several days a week where he'll be alone for five or six hours at a time and that's really hard for a little dog to wait through. So at my house he's got a small crate and is not allowed to pee inside; at her house he's got an ex pen and he is allowed to pee on piddle pads. This won't be any issue for him as long as we consistently use the piddle pads--because he doesn't have them here, he'll try to hold it here. There, he'll run for the pads.
#499 of 531 Old 07-17-2008, 01:35 PM

Joanna, I don't think I'd ever seen photos of your kids. CUTE.
#500 of 531 Old 07-17-2008, 03:25 PM

Small update:

We took Finn to the park this morning. I left the harness at home (hadn't read Joanna's post until just now!) and just used his collar and leash. He did NOT want to walk on it, but I bribed him with food and he figured out pretty quickly what he needed to do!

He's now crashed IN HIS CRATE. : Dd#1 says he was whining and crying (I told her we were going to put him in his crate for a nap when we got home -- she had him in the crate before I even got into the house with ds), but I couldn't have been more than three minutes behind her, and I haven't heard a peep out of him. He's been sleeping for about 45 minutes now!

How long should I leave him in there? Until he wakes up? Or do I want him to nap for, say, an hour at a time, a few times per day? I don't care how much he sleeps during the day -- when I busy the girls can watch him if I need them to -- but I would love for him to sleep a bit longer at night...

I forgot to brag before, too -- he will now sit on command, even without a treat.
#501 of 531 Old 07-17-2008, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

When I first put their collars on them they were not able to walk more than half a step without stopping and scratching they even did some funny little dances that had me but once they got used to them it go better and now they hardly scratch at all. I am pretty sure that the same would go for the harness.

So what is the safest harness to use? I want to get one for Brummy because dd and ds like to walk him and I don't want them hurting his throat with just a regular collar.

#502 of 531 Old 07-18-2008, 11:29 AM

Okay, so after his one nap in the crate yesterday, Finn doesn't want to go back in.

Dh tried putting him in there last night (he had been curled up asleep on the couch, so he was tired) but as soon as dh put him in the crate he started whining and yipping SO LOUD. I was seriously worried he was going to wake the kids up! :P

This morning I had to run out to the garage to get something out of the freezer and no one else is up to watch him, so I thought I would try again (he'd been up for about 1.5 hours by that point, figured he could use a nap). Again, he cried and yipped so loud I could hear him out in the garage! It sounded like someone was trying to dismember him.

He's happily sleeping on my lap right now, but I would kind of like to get up... my foot's asleep.

I know doxies are, um, stubborn, but how long can I expect the crying/whining to last before he figures out that crate = naptime?
#503 of 531 Old 07-18-2008, 01:20 PM

I know it's hard to do, but if you want him to be able to be crated then you HAVE to ignore his whining. If you let him out or give him any attention at all when he's carrying on like that you are rewarding him for whining. He'll learn very fast that whining=getting what I want and I'm pretty sure you don't want that habit to start

So, as long as Finn has peed/pooed before you're putting him the crate, you need to just wait him out. Patience is a virtue here. If you feel like he needs to come out for some reason (ie. he's been in there for an hour or so and gets up and starts to whine) then wait until he's quiet for a little bit before you open the crate door. He needs to learn that you will let him out when he's quiet and that just because he's in there doen'st mean that he's in there forever--you will let him out eventually and frequently enough that he won't have to worry about it.
#504 of 531 Old 07-18-2008, 01:38 PM

Yup. If you decide that nap is, say, an hour, and you know he's peed and pooped, you put him in there and shut the door, and you ignore him for an hour. He may scream the WHOLE time. But you have to do it anyway. These puppies should be able to go 4-ish hours at night, too (and many will be sleeping through the night). The first night you do it "right" will be HORRIBLE. He will scream the majority of the time. Let him out to poop and pee on leash at the 4-hr mark (no playtime or petting) and put him back in. Screeching will ensue.

First night--horrible. Second night--should be about half as bad but there will definitely be screaming. By the end of the week he should be pretty quiet once he goes in. Naps are the same story.
#505 of 531 Old 07-18-2008, 01:53 PM

Thanks, Joanna. I know it's been said many times before, but I am soooo grateful to have the benefit of drawing from your knowledge/experience (among other super pet owners on here!)

I think what I need to do is post about Finn whining in his crate, b/c the next thing I know, he has settled down and is sleeping peacefully in it.

Tonight I will stand firm... actually, I will make my dh stand firm.
#506 of 531 Old 07-19-2008, 04:25 AM - Thread Starter

OK quick check here can anyone see this link: http://picasaweb.google.com/MCatBoxe...76791719558130 please let me know if you can or cant and what you do see if you cant. TIA

#507 of 531 Old 07-19-2008, 11:54 AM

I can see it!
#508 of 531 Old 07-19-2008, 04:58 PM

Me too
#509 of 531 Old 07-19-2008, 05:11 PM

Did I mention that Finn already knows how to sit?

I've just been using pieces of dog food, mostly (dd and dh both use dog treats, but he'll happily sit for pieces of kibble from my hand). Today I used some chicken (cooked) -- he was sitting w/o me even using the verbal command after the first morsel!
#510 of 531 Old 07-22-2008, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Brummy is home with me. So far things are going great. I am taking him out to sprinkle the yard every hour or even if he looks he is just thinking to hard I take him out

He is being very good. Not at all used to be inside and he is a very shy puppy as well.

Everyone else doing OK?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page