Puppy Pics *NEW* post #320-322 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 531 Old 05-20-2008, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It is really something you can almost see them growing while your standing there. : The 3 brown boys are really growing in length as well as weight. I didnt go see them today but my brother said they look like little sausages

Jill left them again for a few minutes again later in the day so she is relaxing nicely. She litterally never got up that first 48 hours. The only food and water she got was when my mom went down there and put it up to her face.

I hope to get some pictures of them individually now to show everyone they are adorable and I that new puppy smell

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#62 of 531 Old 05-21-2008, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post
and I that new puppy smell
Wait 'till you smell their breath. Oh, puppy breath. I want another one just thinking about it.

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
#63 of 531 Old 05-21-2008, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

My brother thinkis I am a : for picking them up and holding them to my nose all the time I cant help it, I was thinking they are sweet smelling enough to lick actually but havnt.......yet

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#64 of 531 Old 05-21-2008, 02:22 AM

Quote:
My brother thinkis I am a : for picking them up and holding them to my nose all the time I cant help it, I was thinking they are sweet smelling enough to lick actually but havnt.......yet

Memories of puppyhood. I can't wait for another puppy. It will be a while yet, so I'm going to live vicariously through you, Ok? I want you to check in with daily updates of how they smell, how they act, mile stones, cuteness, etc.

#65 of 531 Old 05-21-2008, 03:05 AM - Thread Starter

Sounds good to me :

#66 of 531 Old 05-21-2008, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Here is Jill now she almost looks like a different dog:
Jill
Jill
Jill

Dark rust colored

Group shot

Copper colored

Group shot

They are looking great most are at 10oz now 1 isnt gaining as fast as the others but is nice and plump any way and very active so I am not really worried.

Jill gets out several times a day looking around and the puppes sleep through it. She is bright eyed and looks great.

Some questions I could look them up on the net but I will ask here instead

How old before ears and eyes open?
How old for solid food?
How old to worm them?

#67 of 531 Old 05-21-2008, 11:38 PM

1. 10 days for eyes; ears slightly earlier.

2. When they are able to stand and are interested. I started large litters at 2.5 week, small at 3 or 3.5 weeks, on a mixture of goat's milk and meat (hamburger). Evaporated milk + meat works too. Supplementing with formula is different; you do that if one or more slow or stop growing, and that can be any time.

3. 2 weeks, 4 weeks, 6 weeks.

Do any of them look like they'll be short-legged?
#68 of 531 Old 05-21-2008, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

I cant really say for sure right now since when I pick them up they tend to ball up in my hand or try to wriggle away

I am trying to keep up with weights but finding it a bit difficult because the black ones look so much alike except for white on the chest of some. I still find myself thinking I have a different one and it is the same one I just had

I wanted to add my original count of 8 was off there are 7 : 5 boys 2 girls. I was counting someone twice

I am not sure when I should worry about the one male who dosnt seem to be gaining very fast but he is still plump and active and he dosnt get left out on the nursing. I sat and watched for a long time today and he had a good spot and no trouble getting to it.

I am actually thinking about taking some different colored yarn and putting it around their necks to help me out. Would that be a problem?

What kind of worm medication is safe for a 2 week old? I forget the name we got for Jill but it treats 5 different kinds.

#69 of 531 Old 05-22-2008, 12:23 AM

They are pretty puppies .

I've used yarn and ricrack but I would not use it for an outside litter. My recommendation is to take scissors and cut a little piece of hair off each one in a different location (sort of pinch the skin so the hair stands up and then carefully trim the standing-up hair). So you have shoulder, back, tail, etc. Just be careful not to cut the skin. I did this on my last black litter and it worked really well, although I did end up calling the puppies by their trim locations, which sounds weird when you're saying "Oh, Tail, you cutie!"

It's OK for puppies to grow on their own curves, but I would supplement him if he slows down even more. This formula is very fatty and good: http://leerburg.com/bottlefeeding.htm. Use a baby bottle, not one of those useless little puppy bottles, and enlarge the hole until formula drips out like a drop every second when you turn the bottle over.
#70 of 531 Old 05-22-2008, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

I never thought of trimming hair that will work much better. I hope the little guy dosnt need supplemented because my brother works and isnt home the majority of the day and there is no way on this earth my mom would do it. She firmly believes that if they are ment to live they will and wont even touch them. Though she will take water and food to Jill once while brother is at work.

I can just see her now rolling her eyes at me and giving me that mommy look if I bring in formula and a bottle. Strange how even though I am 36 I still care so much and worry so much about how she reacts to me.

#71 of 531 Old 05-22-2008, 12:40 AM

Any supplementing would help--even once a day if he gets his fill of the fatty stuff.
#72 of 531 Old 05-22-2008, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

Great

I wanted to ask is it possible that handling the pups to much would kill them? I know kinda silly question but that is one of the things mom keeps harping on that I will "wool" them todeath. I know kittens can be a bit delicate but are pups that bad?

#73 of 531 Old 05-22-2008, 12:47 AM

As long as you are not hurting them, no. It's good for them to be handled; just be gentle.
#74 of 531 Old 05-22-2008, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

Always super gentle I dont know any other way to be. They are so tiny and helpless : I usually end up kissing them all over the face and head I cant help it they are so adorable.

I will go down tomarrow and weigh the little male and if he is still not gained much I will get him some formula.

#75 of 531 Old 05-22-2008, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
umm...so waht are you going to do with the puppies? I am pretty sure puppies can fedex'd or whatever. Right? Right?

Decluttering 500/2010
#76 of 531 Old 05-22-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnySlippers View Post
umm...so waht are you going to do with the puppies? I am pretty sure puppies can fedex'd or whatever. Right? Right?

#77 of 531 Old 05-22-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnySlippers View Post
Sure--it's called Delta cargo and it costs $180.
#78 of 531 Old 05-22-2008, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

I plan on putting them up for free on the local swap shop when they turn 8 weeks old. I honestly dont think there will be any problem finding them homes I may take 1 havnt decided yet (still working on the dh issue) and brother is going to keep one I think.

Makes it easier since there are only 2 girls. Boys are always easier to find homes for.

I am in TN by the way :

#79 of 531 Old 05-22-2008, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Good news I brought my good digital scale down today, was using a regular small kitchen scale and when I first got here did a weigh and all of them gained in the 3 hours I have been here.

1 went from 10.2 to 10.6oz in that time
the smaller male I was worrying about went from 6.9 to 7.2oz. He was born at 5.6oz and they are 7 days old today.

The others were the same with some variation. So at least I know she has a good supply.

#80 of 531 Old 05-22-2008, 08:41 PM

Just in case anyone happens to be wondering how to get a puppy from one location to another, not that any such thing could be occurring here, say by someone like, oh, NORTHOF60 (whistles innocently), I was serious about Delta cargo, which is the best dog carrier. Up to two puppies can fly in a crate, which costs about $40, but the puppies need a current vet health certificate (usually about $15 from an average vet). The cost last year was $182 for the flight; no clue whether this has gone up since then. It is a very easy process and not hard on the puppies.

Just saying it to the air... doo doo doo...
#81 of 531 Old 05-23-2008, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekimballs View Post
Just in case anyone happens to be wondering how to get a puppy from one location to another, not that any such thing could be occurring here, say by someone like, oh, NORTHOF60 (whistles innocently), I was serious about Delta cargo, which is the best dog carrier. Up to two puppies can fly in a crate, which costs about $40, but the puppies need a current vet health certificate (usually about $15 from an average vet). The cost last year was $182 for the flight; no clue whether this has gone up since then. It is a very easy process and not hard on the puppies.

well... Those are pretty do-able prices. Especially if they are free. Wouldn't it be fun if the pups went to 'mothering' homes?

Decluttering 500/2010
#82 of 531 Old 05-23-2008, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

I would love for them to have 'mothering' homes. I would know for sure that way they were being treated well. I have never tried sending anything on a plane before not even myself but I am always looking to try new things

I dont anticipate that there will be any trouble at all with me finding homes for them around here since small dogs are really popular and I think they will make good looking dogs since both their mom and dad are appealing.

#83 of 531 Old 05-23-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:

You are eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil!
#84 of 531 Old 05-23-2008, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

#85 of 531 Old 05-24-2008, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Puppies are doing great. All are gaining well some more than others one little porker is already up to nearly 14oz and the rest are not far behind.

The largest of the 2 females will growl and bark at you when you pick her up She has done this since she was a few days old. It is so precious I cant help but : when she does it. I am going to have to get it on video. She will also try to scratch with her back leg if you rub her ear

Puppies at the milk bar

#86 of 531 Old 05-24-2008, 09:26 PM

They look great! I totally see short legs on at least a few of them .
#87 of 531 Old 05-24-2008, 10:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenVeils View Post
You are eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil!
I was purposefully staying out of this thread for a reason. NO MORE PUPPIES. But dang, are they tempting. LOL

I am maxed out, though I do know of several go-to-grounders who are always looking for doxie/russells if you get stuck needing good homes. *I* would love a doxie russell, and yeah, shipping isn't that hard. Although I did fly to Texas to pick up Jersey (who was brought there by here breeder to a meetup we had planned, so she didn't fly alone), it's not hard at all. I've shipped Kali to and from Canada several times unaccompanied.

I also see a lot of little legs in there. Jill herself looks very Puddin English/Irish Russellish (as opposed to the AKC Parson Russell). They tend to come from a lot English and Irish lines, so they're usually dubbed as Irish or English Russells. The JRTCA standard could apply, but when their length supersedes their height, it's a whole different kettle of fish. And then with the doxie. Oh boy. I love me some shortie russells!

Do any of them have any white?

#88 of 531 Old 05-24-2008, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Only white on the chest and 1 or 2 have white on the toes. That is how I am telling them apart now were the white is and how it is shaped. Before I was : trying to keep up.

#89 of 531 Old 05-24-2008, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Only white on the chest and 1 or 2 have white on the toes. That is how I am telling them apart now were the white is and how it is shaped. Before I was : trying to keep up.
Nail polish on their toe nails works well too. Either different colours, or just different toes.

#90 of 531 Old 05-25-2008, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Another great suggestion Thanks

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page