Mothering Forum banner

Puppy Pics *NEW* post #320-322

23K views 530 replies 28 participants last post by  mommyswenn 
#1 ·
What does it mean when a pg dog has a clearish vaginal discharge? It started yesterday and has gotten worse today but no signs of labor that I can tell.

We are not 100% sure when she bred but know for a fact that it was at least 49 days ago. She is still eating well and acting ok. I am just curious what this might mean as far as gestation and possible problems TIA

#2 ·
This is the rat terrier?

Can you feel the puppies moving?

Normal gestation is 63 days, plus or minus. If you do not feel the puppies moving, she is probably getting ready to abort the litter because of the internal bleeding from the rat poison. She needs a vet visit and I am not kidding.

If you can feel the puppies moving, just keep her quiet and watch her carefully. The signs of actual labor are digging and scratching, panting, and a rectal temperature below 99. Temp should be checked daily from day 55 (or whatever might be 55) on.

#3 ·
Yep it is the terrior I called her a rat but she is actually a jack russell when I made the post about the poison I was pretty upset and couldnt think.

We have never been able to feel the pups at all. She is the type that when you touch her belly she tenses up and her whole tummy becomes as hard as a basketball. She has been threw so much she is a bit shy of being handled just dont like a lot of affection.

She could be as much as a week past 49 days making her 59 which is in the range for dogs to welp from what I have been reading. She could even be farther than that. My dad just saw the males sniffing around her and put her up right away so I honestly dont know

So far her gums and the whites of her eyes look great no sign of bleeding. Which is reassuring. I did read that a female can start to have a clear discharge in the last 2 weeks of pg I am thinking that could be it? She takes her vit k great
and hasnt missed a dose.

I was supposed to take her back thursday for blood work but I can always take her tomarrow. I think that would be best just to make sure all is well.

Another worry is that there is a possibility the dog she bred with is a larger easily double her size
I worry there are big pups in there or only 1 or 2 and I know that means trouble.

It really sucks that her previous owners abandoned her like this
: They would have been better able to take on the financial responsability.

#4 ·
I know you said that money is really tight, which I absolutely understand, but you may want to invest some money in an x-ray given how dangerous this whelping may or may not be. If the vet sees only one or two puppies, you may have no choice but to do a c-section to save her. An experienced vet can also tell about how far along the dog is by what the x-ray looks like.

It's not unusual to have a little bit of sliminess at the end of pregnancy, but I've never seen anything "drippy." But I am experienced in giant breeds, not tiny ones.

#5 ·
It is not really thin but not super thick either. It stays mostly around her vagina area. Poor thing cant reach back there to clean she is so big
I will have to ask how much a x ray would cost and see if brothers budget could handle it or not. I am willing to help him and will be paying half for the blood work but we have to be super careful right now dh's job is a bit iffy at the moment possible lay off

Maybe the vet can tell more since I have zero experiance with pg dogs. I have only delt with cats in the past.

She is a older dog to easily 7y and she has had to many puppies to count
: If it wasnt such a complicated situation with her previous owners my brother would have found her a new home but as it is that isnt possible yet. *sigh*

She weighed 16.7pds last thursday and I am sure she weighs a pound or 2 more now.

Here is a picture of her from today
Jill
Jill
Jill a few weeks ago

#7 ·
She is still doing great. Poor little things tummy is almost touching the ground though.

I took her yesterday for the blood work and she did great. I was thinking she would at least cry out but she didnt. She will put up with anything other than pulling ticks off her. She snaps at you over that
: I wont know the results until Mon. or Tues.

The vet saw the discharge and said it was normal and a indicator that she will have the pups pretty soon. Since we dont know the exact bred date. From my calculations she will welp any time after the 12th but before the 19th.

She is actually a bit bigger now than in those pictures and her tummy has moved back toward her hips. She has one back leg she is favoring and the knee joint is slightly swollen but it dosnt appear that she is in a lot of pain. I would have mentioned it to the vet. but I didnt see it and mom forgot to tell me.

On a side note the mom of the guy who abandoned her that also lives nearby stopped and spoke to my dad today saying she would like to have her back or rather her son would. When dad told her that we had taken the dog to the vet twice and I told her she was on meds. She ironically enough changed to having her back to if we decided to give her back
: Once she figured out $$ was involved she changed her tune real fast. She was nice about it at least. Dad has known this woman for at least 40 yrs. and we grew up with the guy.

Oh and get this the guy who had her supposedly treated her like a baby. If he really treats babies that way he is a monster
: She also said he had been searching everywere for her (but then she said later he mentioned how dad was taking good care of her since every time he saw her she was with dad). Yeah right!! he drives by the house there twice a day and many times she has been right there in the yard by the road. Even waving at my brother while brother sat there and held the dog.

My guess is his mom drove by today and saw how big she was realized pups were on the way and decided to try and sell them for profit. Why else all the sudden interest in the dog.

Now should they really want her back and out and out ask we will return her but it is only fair that brother be reimbersed for board, food and vet care. But brother wont push the issue since my family bends over backward not to offend the neighbors.
: sometimes offending them isnt a bad thing YKWIM

ETA: When dad put her up the 21 days he called the police and a deputy came and took a report and looked at the dog so that they couldnt accuse them of stealing her just in case. But they never filed a report or put up signs or anything.

#9 ·
My mom is under orders to call me day or night so I can go down there when she starts to have them. I want to make sure all goes well and she dosnt have to much bleeding. I have my
: that the bloodwork comes back normal.

Brother plans to have her fixed after she welps

#10 ·
If she gets them all out of her, just let her do her thing. The only thing you MUST do is dry them off. Have about twenty small towels (I use bar towels) ready, and rub rub rub. Give the puppy back to her when it is screaming and breathing well; if it still sounds "juicy" rub rub rub some more. Yelling is how they clear their lungs, so make them screech.

She needs a whelping box--a small wading pool works well for dogs that size. Put like an inch of paper towels in the bottom (3-4 rolls) and fleece blankets on top. She will produce a ton of dark green fluid as she labors, so you want to keep changing the stuff under her so she's consistently on dry (or dry-ish) blankets. I don't know what your weather is like yet, but if the nights are cold you need to give the babies some way to keep warm. The very best is a professional puppy pad, but you can also use a heat lamp placed VERY carefully so it warms but does not cook one area of the whelping box. It should only be on one area; mom and babes need to be able to get away from it if they need to. Set it up so when you put your hand on the blanket and leave it there for a minute the heat lamp makes your hand feel warm and comfy but NOT hot.

When I have puppies I sleep by the box and never leave them; I know that may not be possible for you but if you can, you need to stay close for the first few days to make sure she's doing well. She needs to be licking them to stimulate elimination, cleaning their bottoms, and lying on a different side each time she goes in to them (to expose the fuller teats). After a couple of weeks she'll start sitting up to nurse, which is actually easier on everybody because the whole milk bar is exposed.

Puppies should be weighed daily; if they don't gain every single day they need to go on the teats first or be supplemented carefully.

A healthy puppy is warm, firm, fully packed, tenses when you pick it up, and twitches in its sleep. Anybody who looks long and skinny, seems floppy, is cool, etc. is in trouble and needs intervention ASAP.

#11 ·
Depending on what the bw shows should I tie off the cords? I was thinking about this last night. I know most animals will do just fine if you dont but in this case especially if her clotting factor is off a bit I would imagine tyeing off the cords would be a good thing yes? Maybe tie them anyway?

Thanks for your help

#14 ·
I definatly will
K so more than a drop got it
: At least she has experiance on her side and isnt a new mom that will help.

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by thekimballs View Post
I know you said that money is really tight, which I absolutely understand, but you may want to invest some money in an x-ray given how dangerous this whelping may or may not be. If the vet sees only one or two puppies, you may have no choice but to do a c-section to save her. An experienced vet can also tell about how far along the dog is by what the x-ray looks like.

It's not unusual to have a little bit of sliminess at the end of pregnancy, but I've never seen anything "drippy." But I am experienced in giant breeds, not tiny ones.

Keep in mind when you sell the puppies you should recover this money, it really is important to speakk to a vet. Whelping needs a lot of work and know how, so it's worth it for you to speak to a vet.

#18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SachaMacina View Post
Keep in mind when you sell the puppies you should recover this money, it really is important to speakk to a vet. Whelping needs a lot of work and know how, so it's worth it for you to speak to a vet.

She's going to recover this money? News to me--and I would assume to her as well. She should be planning on asking a small adoption fee to make sure they go to good homes, but there's NO FREAKING WAY she or her family is going to recoup the money. I don't recoup when I sell puppies for a grand each (and nor do I expect to)! Now she doesn't have my expenses for health testing and stud fee, but it's going to cost money to raise this litter and she should never think anything else.

#19 ·
She didnt welp today. But is doing great. Dad got her a very nice box to welp in and she spent the majority of the day sitting in my dad's wood shop by the stove, was a bit cold here today around 60.

She is a bit anemic I think the vet mentioned her gums being a bit pale not to bad but she needs to be on puppy food and vitamins. I forgot to tell brother he should go get her some long before now
: I just forgot
I am very new to this pg dog thing. She isnt big on dog food but that is mostly due to the fact she is missing a few teeth I think and was raised on scraps for the most part. I have my
: that she waits till the bw comes back so I can hopefully relax.

I hadnt even thought about selling the puppies I have been concentrating on making sure she is ok. Here you cant sell dogs very well. People dont believe in paying money for dogs as a rule unless it is a hunting dog like a **** hound.

The only thing I care about is that the puppies have a good home. I will have to cover first shots and possibly second since I have no intention of letting them go until they are at least 8 weeks old since I have learned that is best
I dont have to worry about having the tails docked since I would never do that to begin with.

When can she be givin worm meds? I forgot to ask the vet.I doubt seriously if she has ever had any at all in her life.
:

#21 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post
I hadnt even thought about selling the puppies I have been concentrating on making sure she is ok.

The only thing I care about is that the puppies have a good home. I will have to cover first shots and possibly second since I have no intention of letting them go until they are at least 8 weeks old since I have learned that is best
I dont have to worry about having the tails docked since I would never do that to begin with.
Thank you. You are wonderful.

I've managed to miss the entire backstory here

#22 ·
Let me see if I can make a long story short.

My brothers little jack russell terrior got into rat poison
She came to their house after the neighbor and his wife split up and they left all their dogs behind when they both moved out
:

This was about a month before she came into season. At that time there was still a thought one of them would come back and get her but that didnt happen. So getting her fixed was out of the question since we knew who she belonged to and didnt know how things would turn out.

My dad saw she was coming into season so he put her up but he missed it by a few days
He kept her up for 21 days but soon after it became obviouse she was pg.

So brother has been taking care of her feeding her giving her a place to sleep and getting attached to her. She is a very sweet dog despite her age, we estimate 7+ but no way to know for sure.

She has been on vit k pills since the day after the poison and has been doing fine no signs that she ingested enough to cause a problem but wont know for sure till bw comes back this week.

There is a concern that she bred with a dog that is quiet a bit larger than she is.
so she may run into trouble when welping happens

I think that covers it.

#23 ·
No puppies yet but she is definatly more restless and cant get comfy. The puppies are doing backflips now
and very easy to see and feel threw the tummy. Today was the earliest I had figured for her to welp.

#25 ·
She is still going
dont ask me how though. The only thing different is the discharge is all but gone and she has milk as of today, I am assuming that is a pretty good indication puppies will be here in the next couple of days right? Here are some more pics

Jill

Jill

Jill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.