Help. Is there enough chocolate in cake to hurt a dog? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-16-2008, 02:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
My +/- 70lb dog just got about 1/4 of a chocolate pound cake, but cocoa is #8 on the ingredient list. That's not enough to hurt her, right?
#2 of 11 Old 05-16-2008, 03:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No, she'll be fine. Runs maybe, but no worries. And now I want chocolate pound cake.
#3 of 11 Old 05-16-2008, 03:04 AM - Thread Starter

Ah, thank you! I'm so not used to having a dog tall enough to eat off of the counters. I'll split the rest of the cake with you if you don't mind a little dog spit.
#4 of 11 Old 05-16-2008, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekimballs View Post
No, she'll be fine. Runs maybe, but no worries. And now I want chocolate pound cake.
Me too! I guess I could go make some... I have cocoa and organic baking chocolate.

ETA can't do it. I only have 3 eggs
#5 of 11 Old 05-17-2008, 01:54 AM

I made the chocolate cake recipe on the back of the Hershey's Cocoa box last night. Some crumbs fell on the floor and my dogs ate them and I was worried about this too!

Book-lovin', relaxed homeschoolin', dog snugglin' mom of the best kid EVER!  AND...waiting for baby #2, due 5/9/14!  stork-boy.gif

#6 of 11 Old 05-17-2008, 11:11 AM

My dog once ate an entire bag of hershey's kisses. I freaked out and called the vet who asked me how much she weighed (about 40 lbs) and then said it was fine. Milk chocolate doesn't have much chocolate in it.

Her poop was very shiny/sparkly for a few days (she didn't bother removing the wrappers) but that was about it.
#7 of 11 Old 05-17-2008, 04:59 PM

Funny dog eating chocolate story: I was 39wk pg w/DS and was craving chocolate cake in the worst way; I bought one from Costco (I love love buttercream icing) and it was on the kitchen counter. Came back from picking DD#1 up from school, cake was GONE. There was a very guilty looking Rottweiler sitting in the kitchen. It's awful, but I thought of my cake before I thought of him getting sick. I knew there wasn't enough chocolate to make him sick, but figured he'd have horrible diarrhea from all the Crisco in the frosting. He was fine, and I went back to Costco to get another cake. I was a desperate pregnant lady

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#8 of 11 Old 05-17-2008, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayleeZoo View Post
Funny dog eating chocolate story: I was 39wk pg w/DS and was craving chocolate cake in the worst way; I bought one from Costco (I love love buttercream icing) and it was on the kitchen counter. Came back from picking DD#1 up from school, cake was GONE. There was a very guilty looking Rottweiler sitting in the kitchen. It's awful, but I thought of my cake before I thought of him getting sick. I knew there wasn't enough chocolate to make him sick, but figured he'd have horrible diarrhea from all the Crisco in the frosting. He was fine, and I went back to Costco to get another cake. I was a desperate pregnant lady
Ya, pregnancy is my excuse for buying another one after I finished off the slightly used one. She would have eaten the whole thing if didn't just happen to hear a suspicious lipsmacking noise coming from the kitchen. The last time I heard that she was sticking her tongue allll the way out to lick the cheese she couldn't quite reach. I ate that, too.
#9 of 11 Old 05-17-2008, 06:16 PM

Ah, yes, suspicious dog sounds.

Ulysses is actually a pretty snuffly/sniffy kind of guy, so I get tipped off when he gets super stealth quiet. He's really good, too, he's learned that straight up disappearing will tip me off immediately, so he lays down in plain view but facing in the other direction and completely silently chews on some stolen item.

Usually a napkin, he's obsessed with even brand new clean ones for some reason, but the other day it was a piece of celery. He was convinced that he had scored some huge forbidden thing with that celery
#10 of 11 Old 05-17-2008, 07:53 PM

you guys are evvvil now I want cake
#11 of 11 Old 05-18-2008, 09:55 AM

one dog of mine busted into the halloween reeses pieces peanut butter cups, had to go to the vets to have medicin to cleanse her stomach

another dog of mine busted into the raisonettes, that could have killed her since raisons are very toxic too, thank god we came home and found out immediately

note; little dogs won't do it in front of you, they don't want you to know, they can really fly and get to stuff you'd think was too high!!!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page