He'll come home right??? UPDATE #46. We moved alone.... - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 72 Old 07-28-2008, 11:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow, that is AWESOME! So happy for you and kitty. :

OK, I have to ask...was this experience motivation enough to make sure he's ONLY an indoor only kitty?

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 72 Old 07-29-2008, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatchristy View Post
Wow, that is AWESOME! So happy for you and kitty. :

OK, I have to ask...was this experience motivation enough to make sure he's ONLY an indoor only kitty?
He was ALWAYS an indoor ONLY kitty. He just was super fast when the back door opened one afternoon. I've thought about it over and over and the only time that backdoor was open over those 2 days was when dd1 and I left (baby was in the wrap) to go down the way for brunch. I didn't see him go but that's the only time the door was opened that day and he was around the night before. We may have paused with the door ajar...I don't know.

But I can't wait to swoop him up and love on him....

We just hope he remembers us.
#63 of 72 Old 07-29-2008, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine's mama View Post

We just hope he remembers us.
he will :
#64 of 72 Old 07-29-2008, 10:29 AM

OMG!!!! That is the BEST NEWS EVER!!!!!!!!! I am absolutely thrilled! Welcome back Leo!

Tricia, married to DH. 2MC's & 4 yrs ttc...finally mom to Andrew6/06 and Benjamin 10/09. Adopted bro & sis 2002. My 2 fav. words: Spay and Neuter! I'm an Ultimate Viewer, 2010!

#65 of 72 Old 07-29-2008, 10:35 AM

: Sunshine's mama :

I just found this thread this morning and read single every post. My heart was just breaking for you and your DD. Tears where falling in my coffee cup...and then there is a HAPPY ENDING!

I am soooo happy for you! :::

Give that Leo of yours a great big squeeze for me. And he will DEFINITELY remember you. The new home might be a little freaky for him but not you.

: : :
#66 of 72 Old 07-29-2008, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

I talked to the woman who found Leo last night.

Her name is Carol and her daughter is the one that spotted him.

She looked at her mom and said, "Mom, you have to take him home. I've already rescued 8 cats the past 2 months and dropped them off at the Cat Welfare so you HAVE to take him home and see if someone is looking for him."

So she did.

She said that when they found him he was skin and bones and pretty dirty so he's a bath and some lots food.in the pics she sent he looks pretty happy.

She was getting ready to take him to the Cat Welfare and saw the link for the Pet FBI and checked the dates from the flyer and voila, there he was.

She called out "LEO" and he came running.

:::::::::: ::::::

Now I just need to come up with the money to take him to the vet to get checked out.....rent is due in 2 days which crimps ANY money.....: grrr rent.

But he's gonna need to go right???
#67 of 72 Old 07-29-2008, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

But he's gonna need to go right???
If he seems ok, and you dont have other cats he could pass something to...i think it can wait until you have more money (thats my totally uneducated opinion)...years and years ago, i had an indoor only cat go missing for more than a month (turns out he was nearby the whole time)...he then turned up on my neighbor's porch, totally skin and bones. I almost cried when i saw him...i rushed him to the vet thinking he was near death....but he was fine. she looked him over and said to just feed him lots. I was surprised, i thought for sure he was a goner.

Katherine

Katherine, single homeschooling mom to Boy Genius (17) geek.gif  Thing One (6) and Thing Two (6) fencing.gif and one outgoing Girl (12) bikenew.gif and hoping for more through foster care and adoption homebirth.jpgadoptionheart-1.gif 
#68 of 72 Old 07-29-2008, 02:00 PM

Quote:
He was ALWAYS an indoor ONLY kitty.
I'm quoting the original post here:

Quote:
He's never darted for the door before. He'll skulk around it, peeking but doesn't dart unless I say, Ok, go ahead and that's only been twice. He'll smell the grass and then lay under our table there while dd1 and I play with chalk or something. It's a small enclosed area.

It sounds like you let kitty go out at least twice before he escaped. The point I was getting at is that you don't let the cat get comfortable with entering/exiting the house. Use a noise, or some sort of verbal cue/deterrant to keep him away from the areas.

The good thing is, you're in a new house, a new territory, and you can start fresh and make sure that he doesn't get to that level of familiarity again.

As for a vet visit, I would think it would be a good idea unless you have a trained eye and know what to look for. Fleas are likely (unless he's on some sort of preventative), tapeworms could be an issue (usually are if there are fleas--those look like little grains of rice in the stool), and if he's not up to date on shots being that he's been outside I'd worry about that. But, if you had a flea preventative and there's no fleas/flea dirt, he's up to date on shots (the new schedules are every three years btw), nothing is obviously wrong and rent is due you probably could give it a week or two and work on him gaining weight. Then, take him in for peace of mind.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#69 of 72 Old 07-29-2008, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
#70 of 72 Old 07-29-2008, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenjane View Post
If he seems ok, and you dont have other cats he could pass something to...i think it can wait until you have more money (thats my totally uneducated opinion)...years and years ago, i had an indoor only cat go missing for more than a month (turns out he was nearby the whole time)...he then turned up on my neighbor's porch, totally skin and bones. I almost cried when i saw him...i rushed him to the vet thinking he was near death....but he was fine. she looked him over and said to just feed him lots. I was surprised, i thought for sure he was a goner.

Katherine
Happy your baby came home too. I am happy that I wasn't the one to see him skin and bones.....Makes me cry just thinking about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatchristy View Post
I'm quoting the original post here:

It sounds like you let kitty go out at least twice before he escaped. The point I was getting at is that you don't let the cat get comfortable with entering/exiting the house. Use a noise, or some sort of verbal cue/deterrant to keep him away from the areas.

The good thing is, you're in a new house, a new territory, and you can start fresh and make sure that he doesn't get to that level of familiarity again.

As for a vet visit, I would think it would be a good idea unless you have a trained eye and know what to look for. Fleas are likely (unless he's on some sort of preventative), tapeworms could be an issue (usually are if there are fleas--those look like little grains of rice in the stool), and if he's not up to date on shots being that he's been outside I'd worry about that. But, if you had a flea preventative and there's no fleas/flea dirt, he's up to date on shots (the new schedules are every three years btw), nothing is obviously wrong and rent is due you probably could give it a week or two and work on him gaining weight. Then, take him in for peace of mind.
Maybe I should've clarified in my original post....

He wasn't familiar with being outside. I think the time he spent outside that time under the table was a total of 5 minutes......the other time he got out and I sent him right back in....maybe 30 seconds of out time and he didn't leave the door area. The table he layed under while I helped dd with her chalk was the ONLY time I said ok, go ahead and the table was right next to the door. He is 4 years old and that's his only time outside. Not familiar with it at all.

He was due for his shots at the time he went missing but I was going to put it off a bit due to money. He wasn't on any flea preventative bc he was an INDOOR ONLY cat.

Carol has said he's been inside their home since the 12th and they don't have any other cats. Would she know by now if fleas were an issue? I've never had an animal with them so I don't know...I know about them and what they look like and such though so I'll check him out.

Ohio State has a graduate student run clinic so I am going to call and check on pricing and such.

I hate that that's even an issue. Money is just so tight right now with everything else that's been happening in my life right now.....but it's such a :ful blessing he's almost home.....

Thanks so much for all the kind thoughts and :
#71 of 72 Old 07-29-2008, 04:20 PM

I am soooooooo glad he's home! :

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
#72 of 72 Old 07-29-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
:::::::::: :::::

Someone found Leo.....
How wonderful!!! :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page