He'll come home right??? UPDATE #46. We moved alone.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-22-2008, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My cat ran away from home....2.5 days ago....

He's never darted for the door before. He'll skulk around it, peeking but doesn't dart unless I say, Ok, go ahead and that's only been twice. He'll smell the grass and then lay under our table there while dd1 and I play with chalk or something. It's a small enclosed area.

But somehow, without me seeing, he slipped out....I don't even know when it happened just that it happened 2.5 days ago as of 1pm today.

He'll come home right???

I am kicking myself in the head for taking off his collar the other day bc he was scratching at it and I forgot to put it back on bc he never goes outside..

I have looked in things, under things, behind things, around things.......shook his catnip, his toy lion, his treats.....no kitty.

I feel awful that I didn't even know he was missing until Dh asked about him a few hours ago......just been sooo stressed....we're moving, my mom is ill, nothing is packed......dd 1 has decided listening is for the birds, the baby is teething, mama is burned out......and so overwhelmed and now my kitty is missing.

And Dh grew up with outdoor farm cats so he's like whatever. he got out, maybe he'll come home, maybe he won't....it happens. and I'm like upset and crying and he's just so nonchalant.....saying he's just looking at reality....I don't care about that right now, I just want my cat back.

It was a gift to me from him when I was pregnant with dd1 so I would have someone to keep me company while I was at home on bedrest bc of the HG....my first kitten ever and now he's missing out there somewhere.

He's half tabby and half siamese so he's this giant orange tabby cat with a siamese face and luckily, the siamese personality so he's not likely to let someone pick him up. He's a pretty look at me cat but he's sooo warm and soft when he's curled next to you when you are nursing your baby....

We have set out some of his food, a container with some catnip (a container with a lid that we've slit a bunch of times), his lion he's played with and loved on since he was a kitten......I've thought about setting out sardines or tuna or something but don't really want to attract other animals and then getting false hope that he's come back to eat.

DD1 (4) has just sat at the back door for 2 days waiting for him to come home and crying.....

We're just so sad. We move in a week. Why did he have to pick NOW...

HE'LL COME HOME RIGHT????

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2008, 03:24 PM

I would get a live trap ASAP and start trying to trap him. I know our kitties went crazy trying to get outside when we were moving. They could sense all the upset.

~Julia
Old 05-22-2008, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

thanks.

where would one get a live trap and where would i put it??

he's been pretty calm the whole time...just his personality. most of the packing has been upstairs as our downstairs is pretty sparse.

he's just never been one to dart out the door.

i just feel awful i can't remember the last time i saw him when Dh asked....

he's half siamese, half tabby but he has the siamese personality of just look at me, i'm pretty....

thanks so much!!!
Old 05-22-2008, 04:09 PM

check with your AC (ours loans them out with a deposit), local rescues and anyone involved with feral cats. You can also try wildlife rehab groups. I would think they have them.

You can also purchase one online and usually home depot has some. You want one for racoons, cats, etc.

Also, read this thread for more ideas:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=896518

~Julia
Old 05-22-2008, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

i'll see if our local AC has one bc we don't have any extra $ to buy one....

i just hope he arrives before we move......

i haven't tried the stinky food route yet bc i dont want to get false hope of seeing the food gone and have it not be him....

i've seen a bunch of cats out while i've been looking the past few days...
Old 05-23-2008, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

I've tried all those ideas thus far and no kitty.

Dh is practically refusing to get a trap for him bc he thinks the idea is ridiculous.

I asked him last night if he planned to come back and look for him after we move next Thursday and he flat out said no. that's not realistic.

I'm so broken about this. DD1 just sits by the back door waiting for him.

Why did he have to pick the week before we moved to slip out the door?????
Old 05-23-2008, 01:26 PM

Seriously? Can you go get a trap?

The traps work great. Does he think they won't work? Just the other week we borrowed a dog trap from AC and in the span of 4 days we caught 4 dogs and a cat (and two dogs and the cat were feral, the other two dogs were friendly strays).

Live traps are the ONLY thing used to catch feral cats. Check out http://alleycat.org/ to learn more about it.

I'm sorry your husband is being poopy about this. Does he not like the cat?

~Julia
Old 05-23-2008, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

He likes the cat. He's the one that got him for me.....the cat LOVES him best......

He just thinks that the trap is above and beyond I spose. Not realistic bc if he hasn't come home by now (day 4.5) then he's not coming home....I think it's just bc he's lived on a farm with outdoor only cats...well, 90% outdoor and if they never came home big deal.

But that's BEFORE he had children.

DSD was like oh well. I have a cat at my mom's....

I can't drive right now (i was in a car accident 2 years ago that knocked out my peripheal vision) or I would just go get one myself.....

I know what the trap looks like....

I'm just sooo sad....I want him home.

My friends cat ran away 2 days ago and is already home....but he's gotten out before and knows his way home.

Gonna go check out alleycat....

i just called a rescue sight and talked to a girl name amy who may have 1to lend me......
Old 05-23-2008, 05:36 PM

4.5 days isn't too long for him to come home! If he's never been outside, then chances are he's close to home, holed up and scared. Cats aren't like dogs. You can walk within a foot of your lost cat, calling them and shaking food and they won't come out to you if they're afraid. This is why the trap is so important (as they will come out when it's dark and quiet if they smell something yummy).

Also, have you gone around and talked to neighbors, make sure no one has taken him in as a stray? Put up fliers, call and report him lost to local rescues, AC, the police, and vet offices.

Finally check for areas he can be trapped in. Sheds, garages, basements, etc. Often cats get out, panic, hide somewhere dark (like a shed) then the door is shut and locked and you can't find the cat (because he can't get out to come home. Check your property and ask neighbors to check theirs.

I can't imagine how stressed out you are. I would be freaking out if this happened to one of my kitties.

~Julia
Old 05-23-2008, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

i'm picking up 2 traps tomorrow from a cat rescue lady the cat welfare volunteer told me about.

dh is actually going to go to the end of the property tonight with some sardines and the cat's laser pointer toy and see if that will lure him out.

i am going to make up some more flyers and post them on the garages here too just in case.....

wish me luck.

i miss him sooo much...

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR THOUGHTS....
Old 05-23-2008, 11:02 PM

I hope your kitty comes home soon.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

So, last night I put out some stinky sardines...a plate at the backdoor and a plate at the front door and I left the back door open a bit....

I sat on the sofa and nursed the baby. She fell asleep so I laid her in her basket.

And sat in waiting. I was watching the news and heard what I thought was the sound of a motorcycle but then my heart stopped and KNEW it was him.

He had eaten the sardine and was sitting in his spot under the table.

I opened the door slowly but it made a loud creak and it freaked him out and he went running....I thought I had WD-40'd it enough in the am....:

So, I reloaded the food, set out water and waited......90 min later, he came back, ate some more, lapped up some water and CAME INSIDE....looked in the space behind the door, sniffed his toy lion AND PROMPTLY LEFT....

I didn't say anything bc I didn't want to spook him again...

He's pretty dirty and his face is fluffier than I am used to but it's him....I waited until he craned his head a bit and saw his profile and it's him.

I went to sit behind the door in that space he was in with some more food out and left a trail of sardine...a bite in front of the door, a bite in the door, a bite 6 inches from the door, and the plate with the rest about 2' in the door but he didn't come back.

My thinking was get him inside as far as I could with me behind the door, covered all covert under a sheet and then close the door as fast as possible. I could deal with his scared howling bc HE'D BE HOME....

SO, HE'S AROUND......AND DIDN'T LOOK HURT...JUST REALLY REALLY SCARED.

I picked up a trap from the rescue lady today and we are gonna set that out tonight with a soft towel in the bottom bc I'm afraid the rattle of a newspaper will startle him, some sardine in the back and cross my fingers....

I was up until 4am stalking him last night. He came to the door a total of 6 TIMES and sniffed in once and came in the one time. If I had been closer I would've had him but it was dark and I would've tripped over the moses basket causing the baby to wake and cry and kitty to run away...

CROSS YOUR FINGERS FOR US TO GET HIM TONIGHT......

I ran upstairs crying last night after the first time I startled him bc HE WAS HERE and he went away bc of the noise I made......Dh came down but he was long gone....

I think he's been right here the whole time....just a really good hider our Leo Lion.....
Old 05-24-2008, 08:40 PM

I guess I was a little late, I found a good article on finding lost cats. Please let us know how it goes, I hope you get him soon!
Old 05-24-2008, 08:41 PM

Keeping my fingers crossed for you

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 05-25-2008, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

IT WASN'T HIM....

It looked like him but it wasn't him. Leo is neutered and this one wasn't. He was in pretty bad shape though......so the rescue lady came to get him and left the trap.

We felt horrible bc we couldn't tell it was him bc he was so dirty but now feel ok bc it really wasn't him.

BUT IT WASN'T HIM....

This was the cat that came for the food last night that I thought was him. This was the cat that came in the house to check it out that I thought was him.

BUT IT WASN'T HIM...

WHERE IS HE????

WHY WON'T HE COME HOME????

HE REALLY NEEDS TO COME HOME.........

I hope he isn't as hurt as the poor kitty was tonight. We gave him some food and water.......

I don't know what else to do...

I am not giving up but I can't sit all night with the door open again freezing while other cats come and not him. But I feel bad for the other lost kitties...

I just want my kitty.....

We told dd (4) that he came home to look bc I was 100% positive it was him. And that we were gonna get him tonight with the kitty trap.....She's expecting to see him in the morning BC I TOLD HER WE SAW HIM AND WE WERE GONNA GET HIM.......

I GAVE HER HOPE...
....and now I HAVE TO BREAK HER HEART TOMORROW ALL OVER AGAIN.....

I feel so awful........for her, for me and for Leo.....so scared.

Old 05-25-2008, 02:39 AM

Oh mama..
I hope kitty comes home tonight.
Old 05-25-2008, 03:30 AM - Thread Starter

We ran out of sardines....

A grey tiger at some..

That orange one we brought inside to check out ate some.

An all grey ate the rest.

I have no more to leave out tonight.....

We've left food, left the backdoor open for the past 2 nights from 11p-4a (i've been up watching) and I'm so tired tonight.

I have the trap set right now with his lion in it, a bit of his litter and some of his wet cat food....but nobody has been near it for the past hour or so. I just went and took his lion out just in case. I on't want it to smell like another cat.

SO...

I've done flyers, posted them on nearby garages today, left food, we went walking around tonight with his laser toys, shook food, shook catnip, left doors open, filed with the petfbi and such sites,

I just don't know where he is. I was SOOO SURE that it was him last night.......but it was the poor orange baby instead.

I just don't know what to tell dd tomorrow morning when she sees he's not here...

I am going to be up for a bit more and dh opened up the window in the bedroom a bit bc the trap will make a noise loud enough when it snaps shut. So......

Just tired....there's a pic of him in my siggy with one of the girls....

He kinda looks like your Aussie 2 but more orange with his siamese face and strong M marking on his head.....can't tell in this pic though...

I just gotta hold out hope he comes home before next Thursday.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

SIGH.

So, tonight we are putting out his litter box bc a woman at the cat rescue said it may help.....bc it's his scent. It's out there now.

I am thinking about setting the trap again tonight but am sooo exhausted from being up until 4am the past 3 nights lying in wait for him to come and eat the food only for it not to be him. (my old english teacher would LOVE that run on sentence ) That I don't know if I can be up that late again.....but better tonight than tomorrow bc I have to be at an endocrinologist appt at 730am tuesday.

Today is day 6 1/2. We are moving in 4 days.

I just want him to show up.

Dd was very unhappy with me today......she stuck close to daddy which isn't like her bc I'm the one that said I saw him the night before a few times and mentioned he may come home to be here today. I shouldn't have said anything but was so excited my brain got the better of my heart.

I'm hoping that it was 2 different orange tabby's the other night and we just gave up with the trap too early last night.

SO...cross fingers.......

love to all and tons of thanks.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

I was up until 345a last night and no sign of any cat. I finally went up to bed around 5am (fell asleep) and came down around 8am. The trap is empty but the food in his food bowl is gone.

I'm worried bc we are supposed to get some pretty nasty storms late afternoon/early evening...

Why won't he come home??

Where is he????

Doesn't he know we miss him or is he just too lost and confused at the start of day 7 in his outdoor adventure.

We move Thursday....

Old 05-26-2008, 11:09 AM

I hope he returns before you move.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

Old 05-26-2008, 11:15 AM

Come home kitty vibes :
Old 05-26-2008, 06:04 PM

Gosh, still no kitty?
I am so sorry.
Is it a rental property you are moving from? Can you keep in contact with the people moving in somehow and tell them you lost your kitty and give them the photo of him and if they ever see him to call you?
Have you asked all your neighbors about there garages and made sure he is not in there?
Old 05-26-2008, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriansmummy View Post
Gosh, still no kitty?
I am so sorry.
Is it a rental property you are moving from? Can you keep in contact with the people moving in somehow and tell them you lost your kitty and give them the photo of him and if they ever see him to call you?
Have you asked all your neighbors about there garages and made sure he is not in there?
Nope. No kitty. There's a pic of him in my siggy now...

It is a rental property. The units are usually empty for about 45 days while they are working on them during the day. We have only been here a year or so so they won't have to do much but they usually still set empty for about that long.

They are townhomes in rows...3 here, yard, 4 there, yard and then the back of the homes have individual white picketish fences (with the red brick home it's very Norman Rockwell if you add in the pretty flowering spring trees we all have)...There is an extra wide sidewalk behind the fences and then another row of homes. The ppl who live across from us are friends and they said they would keep a lookout for him. They have 2 cats themselves, one who went missing this winter in negative degree weather that came home after 10 days. So...they know all too well about it. The neighbors on either side of us moved today and the others move on the first.

I did talk to the maintence guy who is my friend and he said he would keep a lookout for us and he has my number.

We are moving Thursday. I plan to come back and stay Thursday night on an airmatress with the baby. Dh said he'd leave the tv and his cell for me while
I stalked my little lion. They don't shut off my cable until the 1st so I can still watch my NBC.. I will come back Friday night too.....The place is ours until June 1 at 9am...then we need to turn in the keys.

It's raining out now but I still put out a piece of sardine in hopes that he has a super sniffer and can sniff it out in the rain. I will set the trap. I just can't stay up all night and man it tonight as I have that early doctor's appt tomorrow am. I'd switch it in a heartbeat but it took me 4 months to get this one and I really need to see my Endo...

I posted signs the other day on the 16 garages around us. 1 is ours so....the other one a guy uses for his company stuff and he checks it every day for me...just in case. I found out today that 4 others are empty. I haven't had any other calls so....

I just hope today is LUCKY NUMBER 7 DAY......
Old 05-26-2008, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine's mama View Post
Nope. No kitty. There's a pic of him in my siggy now...
I just hope today is LUCKY NUMBER 7 DAY......
Oh, Leo is so cute! We have always had "orange and white cats".
We still have 1 and his name is Bailey. He is now an indoor only cat like before.
He is a great indoor cat, he is tubby and lazy. We got him as a kitten and he is 7 years old.

I am sending over lucky number 7 vibes, COME HOME LEO!!!
Old 05-27-2008, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter

Awe, he's great.

Leo is pretty muscular. He has that lean Siamese build to him and the long lean face but is all orange tabby the rest of the way. Which is why I KNOW deep down that he's not in someone else's house bc he has that Siamese standoffish personality. I'm pretty, look at me kinda thing going on. He loves on his terms an his terms only......

We got him as a kitten too. Dh swore NO CATS bc we had to pay extra but when I was diagnosed with the Hyperemesis when I was preggo with dd1 I was home alone and sick and so in came 9wk old baby Leo.....He slept up against me all the time....in bed, on the sofa, in the chair......DD1 first kicked to him padding on my belly and purring on it...the first time I really felt it good. And she would kick him and he would paw her back and she would kick him off his spot...it was pretty funny. Fighting over belly territory. He was my FIRST kitten. I've always rescued kitties from the rescue people. But he was mine from the beginning. He prefers Dh though bc he will play with him the way he likes to play.....

It's pretty muggy out now as it rained earlier and so I have his litter box out there, the blanket my mom got me for Christmas (but Leo claimed it bc it's full and soft ) in a patio chair and I put his food dish about a foot inside the open patio door with some fresh cool water and some oceanfish catfood with a slice of sardine mixed in. We have a toybox just inside the door that's about 2' long and I am in the glider rocker about a foot from that with my feet propped under the cushion of the blue chair he sleeps in. I told myself that I wouldn't stay up tonight bc of the appt tomorrow but I can't NOT stay up. I have to pack all day tomorrow too so it will be a long day.

I was going to set the trap again but worried that if I fell asleep and didn't hear it shut that the poor cat, whether it was Leo or a new buddy of his from out in the world, would get caught in it and it would pour again.....maybe I can set it under the patio table so it's under the table at least....I don't know...I'm just tired. 6 nights of waking up at 9am and going to bed at 4am are wearing on me.......

I am going to make some new flyers up tomorrow and repaste them on garage doors and central walkways. It's nice here though that everything is freestanding. NO upstairs or downstairs apts...just townhomes. Makes it easy for flyer posting.....

Thanks for all the kind thoughts...I appreciate them so much.....
Old 05-27-2008, 01:35 AM

I hope your kitty comes up.
This same thing happened to my mother. Kitty came up missing a week before they were supposed to move. But she never came home. I feel sick just thinking about how she felt coming back to an empty home. She was old. I remember her as a teen.
Daphne
Old 05-27-2008, 09:42 AM

I didn't read the whole thread but did you think to call all the local shelters and vets? Most shelters have "missing pets" lists that you can put your pet on. I hope your kitty comes home soon!

Me , 36 year old RN and future AP mom in training . I am wife to one wonderful husband and "mom" to one great rescue pup :.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

yep, everyone has been called.

i am off to bed right now. i said i wouldn't stay up but there i was at 5am with the door open and no kitty...he couldn't see me from where i was tho so...it was dark.

i dozed off for about 30 minutes or so and of course, that's when the food disappeared....silly cats.

i just got up after that and showered and went to my appt....so i'm sleepy...
Old 05-28-2008, 12:37 AM

Did you post on CL and petfinder as well?
Old 05-28-2008, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter

I did post on CL but it got flagged for some crazy reason...grrr...

Petfinder is timing out on me right now but I am gonna try again in the am.

He is on petfbi and listed with local shelters and rescue ppl.

My neighbor said she'd keep an eye out for him after Thursday.

I am gonna take a nap here now and then when I wake up, set the trap (there is food out there now) and wait a bit. It seems the food is being eaten the past day or so around 5am.

Crossin my fingers.....

User Tag List