How to contain the "psycho-ness" when it's time for a walk? - Mothering Forums
Pets > How to contain the "psycho-ness" when it's time for a walk?
DoomaYula's Avatar DoomaYula 06:11 PM 06-02-2008
My dogs love to go for walks. Love. The problem is, I get the leashes out and they go insane. Barking, squealing, shrieking, jumping. I don't want to reward that behavior, so I've been waiting til they calm down to actually leave the house... is that the right thing to do?

thekimballs's Avatar thekimballs 06:17 PM 06-02-2008
If you're still leaving the house, they now think the proper way to behave is to scream and yell and then get quiet, that it's a two-step process.

I would play with the leashes all day. Move them from place to place, jingle them, etc. Ignore the dogs. When it's time to go out, go to the door, call them, and expect a sit to put the leash on. Then they have to wait, with the door open, until you give them the OK signal.
FondestBianca's Avatar FondestBianca 08:00 PM 06-02-2008
Don't have any answers from experience in fixing this problem. Just wanted to tell you that your thread title gave me a little giggle because that is definatly one of my dogs when it's time for a walk. She is great once we get out there walking and off our property but, as soon as I go near where I keep her leash and collar she goes batty. Yapping, jumping, spinning, nibbling at the collar and rolling over on the floor as I try to put it on, and other general insanities. She is a pomeranian, I'm curious to know what kind of dogs you have. My other dog is a chihuahua but, doesn't have the same reaction to walk time but, he isn't very outgoing in public so he doesn't look forward to it as much.

Watch the show Dog Whisper'. I've seen this problem addressed and fixed on that show. I just wasn't smart enough to actually try to impliment it myself .
FondestBianca's Avatar FondestBianca 08:01 PM 06-02-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekimballs View Post
If you're still leaving the house, they now think the proper way to behave is to scream and yell and then get quiet, that it's a two-step process.

I would play with the leashes all day. Move them from place to place, jingle them, etc. Ignore the dogs. When it's time to go out, go to the door, call them, and expect a sit to put the leash on. Then they have to wait, with the door open, until you give them the OK signal.
good point!
USAmma's Avatar USAmma 11:53 PM 06-02-2008
Quote:
I used to do this and it worked great!
Up