How to contain the "psycho-ness" when it's time for a walk? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-02-2008, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dogs love to go for walks. Love. The problem is, I get the leashes out and they go insane. Barking, squealing, shrieking, jumping. I don't want to reward that behavior, so I've been waiting til they calm down to actually leave the house... is that the right thing to do?

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 06-02-2008, 05:17 PM

If you're still leaving the house, they now think the proper way to behave is to scream and yell and then get quiet, that it's a two-step process.

I would play with the leashes all day. Move them from place to place, jingle them, etc. Ignore the dogs. When it's time to go out, go to the door, call them, and expect a sit to put the leash on. Then they have to wait, with the door open, until you give them the OK signal.
#3 of 5 Old 06-02-2008, 07:00 PM

Don't have any answers from experience in fixing this problem. Just wanted to tell you that your thread title gave me a little giggle because that is definatly one of my dogs when it's time for a walk. She is great once we get out there walking and off our property but, as soon as I go near where I keep her leash and collar she goes batty. Yapping, jumping, spinning, nibbling at the collar and rolling over on the floor as I try to put it on, and other general insanities. She is a pomeranian, I'm curious to know what kind of dogs you have. My other dog is a chihuahua but, doesn't have the same reaction to walk time but, he isn't very outgoing in public so he doesn't look forward to it as much.

Watch the show Dog Whisper'. I've seen this problem addressed and fixed on that show. I just wasn't smart enough to actually try to impliment it myself .

~TRACY, wife to loving dh, mommy to dd (10/05), ds(12/08), 3 kitties, & 2 pups.
#4 of 5 Old 06-02-2008, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekimballs View Post
If you're still leaving the house, they now think the proper way to behave is to scream and yell and then get quiet, that it's a two-step process.

I would play with the leashes all day. Move them from place to place, jingle them, etc. Ignore the dogs. When it's time to go out, go to the door, call them, and expect a sit to put the leash on. Then they have to wait, with the door open, until you give them the OK signal.
good point!

~TRACY, wife to loving dh, mommy to dd (10/05), ds(12/08), 3 kitties, & 2 pups.
#5 of 5 Old 06-02-2008, 10:53 PM

Quote:
I used to do this and it worked great!

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page