Cheapest of the Grain Free Dog Food? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-15-2008, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're looking to switch to grain free. We've actually got Chipper on Iams right now : We thought it was a good brand. She's been on it since we got her as a puppy. She's 4.5 yrs old now and she's got lots of little problems which I am realizing is prob from the food. Dh is out of work right now though so we need to switch to whatever is cheapest. I know it will prob vary a bit from place to place but over all which have you found to be the cheapest?

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
#2 of 6 Old 06-15-2008, 09:01 PM

Cheapest is actually raw, if you can find the right sources for chicken backs, chicken thigh quarters, carcasses, etc.. Next would be several days of raw as a result of you feeding your family (for example, instead of buying chicken breast, you buy bone-in split chicken, cut off the meat for you and feed meaty bones to dog; instead of buying pork loin for the family, buy bone-in cuts, feed meaty bones to dog; buy a slightly larger package of thigh quarters and feed dog one before you cook the others) and several days of grain-free kibble. Third would be the kibble.

I am honestly not sure of the commercial kibbles which is cheapest. Where are you in the world-- I can do some research and see if I can get some answers for you.
#3 of 6 Old 06-15-2008, 09:03 PM

I've tried Taste of the Wild and thought it was good...I can't remember what I paid for it, but I KNOW it was significantly cheaper than the Evo I usually buy. I'm thinking it was somewhere around $35-40 a bag.

http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/

Misti, mom to DS (12), DS (9), DD (3), and Mr. Man (October '10)!

#4 of 6 Old 06-15-2008, 09:05 PM

Here it seems to be Taste of the Wild, which we switched to about six weeks ago, and we're VERY happy with the results. I've seen a marked mobility improvement in our older dog. I'm going to switch the cats to grain-free when they are done with their current food.
#5 of 6 Old 06-15-2008, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Well we're in southern AZ right now but we will probably be moving soon although not sure where so that prob doesn't help you a whole bunch lol. We just looked over at Petco and they have Natural Balance for $30 for a 17 lb bag. We've got a bunch of feed stores here that I guess I should just call around and ask.

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
#6 of 6 Old 06-15-2008, 09:28 PM

I'm in northern AZ, and I get my dog food from the feed store...that's probably going to be your best bet. Also, most manufacturers have a dealer locater on their websites...you could find some local stores and call for prices.

I've found Natural Balance to be overpriced for the quality of the product. I'd feed Canidae first, and it's half the price at my feed store!

Misti, mom to DS (12), DS (9), DD (3), and Mr. Man (October '10)!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page