I kicked a dog yesterday :( - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 89 Old 07-12-2008, 07:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeyes View Post
Maybe it's more appropriate for her to just know Mom will protect her now. In that case, I would totally be totin' the super soaker and big stick.
This is how I feel about it.
#62 of 89 Old 07-12-2008, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenVeils View Post
This is how I feel about it.
Yes. I didn't mean to say you should arm a six year old.

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
#63 of 89 Old 07-12-2008, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeahBoo View Post
Okay, I recently bought something called a dog dazer. They cost around $30, and are easy to take with you. Basically, you push a button, it makes a loud ultrasonic noise that we can't hear, but dogs can and they hate it. I got it for my mom's dogs. They bark like mad at everything, and when my dogs are there, they can't behave (they're great at my house). So 6 dogs all going off at once everytime mailman comes or there's a cat in the yard. After I got it, I waited for the chaos that would certainly ensue. When it did, I pushed the button for a fraction of a second. Every dog in the room immediately stopped. Only needed it for a few days.

People use them when biking or walking, to stop dogs from attacking. Seeing what it does with my dogs, I have no doubt it would stop advancing dogs.

Your dog won't it like it much, but it doesn't hurt them, just annoys the crap out of them.

Dawn

Where would you buy a dog dazer?
#64 of 89 Old 07-12-2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veronicalynne View Post
I read the reviews on amazon and I'm not so sure it works.

for intuitive readings click here :
#65 of 89 Old 07-12-2008, 10:58 PM

Quote:
I read the reviews on amazon and I'm not so sure it works.

Ok, if it doesn't work then what would be best if you think you might be in a situation like that? I am not arguing here at all.....I was walking with my dd1, toddler in stroller, and me with a huge stomach (pregnant), and a german sheppard ran up to us and was growling and acting aggressively but thankfully the owner ran out and controlled the dog before anything could happen. I dont feel comfortable with the idea of mace.....would the ammonia in a squirt gun as a pp mentioned be effective? I do understand from another pp that making physical contact with an aggessive dog is not the best option. And I doubt I would be that effective with a big stick.......
#66 of 89 Old 07-12-2008, 11:27 PM

Ammonia around the nose and eyes of an animal that operates on smell? Would it work?

Yeah, it'll work.

I'd trust stinky ammonia in a super soaker a lot more than an electronic gizmo with a bunch of bad ratings.

Go take a tiny whiff out of a bottle if you don't believe me. It's awful to have to think of these things, but seriously, if you bicycle or walk in a neighborhood where someone doesn't control their dogs, it's them or you.

#67 of 89 Old 07-13-2008, 12:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You have no reason to feel bad. those dogs are lucky that all they got was a little kick. they were attacking your baby.

I have a small puppy (30 pounds) and if she had done that to you i would not have been suprised if you kicked her of. nor would I have been offended (she is a radom bolter and it is entirely excited spazzy puppy love energy but i know it can be really scary still. you don't know other people dogs.) It is my responsibility to kep my dog away from you and what every ou have to do to keep her off you is ok. If people don't want their dogs kicked they need to keep them under control at all times.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#68 of 89 Old 07-13-2008, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Of_60 View Post
Yes. I didn't mean to say you should arm a six year old.
Oh, okay. That was what I was responding to the whole time. Of course the adults should be armed, with whatever it takes.
#69 of 89 Old 07-13-2008, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlutgendorf View Post
Seriously. A dog attacked your daughter. Why in the world would you feel bad about kicking it?

You need to report this incident to animal control and the police. Have your husband inform your neighbors that you've reported the ATTACK. On future walks I would carry pepper spray and/or a sturdy pipe (something that won't break if you have to haul off and beat a dog with it).

This isn't going to get better. The dogs see your daughter and probably your little dog as prey. What happens if your daughter is outside playing in your yard and these dogs come onto your property? They will go after her again.

If this had happened to us, at the very least Lady dog would be dead and Dog would be seriously injured. My partner has no tolerance for things that threaten his family.

You are clearly a strong woman. You fought off two dogs that were ATTACKING your family and you did it with one good kick and whole lot of being BAD-ASS. Do not let some hick neighbors intimidate you into dropping this incident. This was serious. It was life threatening to your family.

~Julia
Ditto to this.

Please report the attack to animal control AND the police. Document it in your diary. Take a video camera with you next time you go for a walk, so that you have proof if it happens again. And mace. Spray the dog if it comes near you.
#70 of 89 Old 07-14-2008, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veronicalynne View Post
Anywhere, I got mine on amazon. Yeah, not all of the reviews are favorable, but think about it this way. If you find a product you love, you tell some people and get on with your life, if you find a product you don't like, you tell EVERYONE. You're more likely to get all of the negative reviews than the possitive.

I have found mine to work with every dog I have used it on. Haven't had the misfortune to run into a loose/potentially agressive dog while I have had it with me though.

~Dawn

Blah blah blah
#71 of 89 Old 07-14-2008, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeahBoo View Post
Anywhere, I got mine on amazon. Yeah, not all of the reviews are favorable, but think about it this way. If you find a product you love, you tell some people and get on with your life, if you find a product you don't like, you tell EVERYONE. You're more likely to get all of the negative reviews than the possitive.

I have found mine to work with every dog I have used it on. Haven't had the misfortune to run into a loose/potentially agressive dog while I have had it with me though.
Maybe. I haven't seen that to be the case with Amazon, but who knows?

#72 of 89 Old 07-14-2008, 11:08 PM

It has 4 out of 5 stars on amazon. I don't consider that to be "bad reviews"

~Dawn

Blah blah blah
#73 of 89 Old 07-14-2008, 11:43 PM

Ok. I just saw the first few that were bad I guess. It does seem to me that the people who are raving about it were using it on their own dogs for barking, and the people who were unhappy were using it on strange dogs for attacks, which might be important.

The actual words are more important than the stars, imo.

#74 of 89 Old 07-15-2008, 12:34 AM

When I was in high school, I ran cross-country, so I was out on strange roads a great deal. My dad often lent me his dog dazer (he was also a runner). He and I both found that it worked in keeping approaching dogs away--a short burst coupled with a loud "NO!" generally did the trick. Like anything, though, I'm sure there are some exceptions and maybe some dogs for whom aggression trumps discomfort. It's a good first line of defense, but it's probably also wise to have a back-up plan.
#75 of 89 Old 07-15-2008, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLaLa View Post
When I was in high school, I ran cross-country, so I was out on strange roads a great deal. My dad often lent me his dog dazer (he was also a runner). He and I both found that it worked in keeping approaching dogs away--a short burst coupled with a loud "NO!" generally did the trick. Like anything, though, I'm sure there are some exceptions and maybe some dogs for whom aggression trumps discomfort. It's a good first line of defense, but it's probably also wise to have a back-up plan.
Seriously. I'd probably be armed up like Rambo with the Dazer in one hand and the super soaker full of ammonia on my back.

Bring it, Bowser!

#76 of 89 Old 07-15-2008, 01:31 AM

The dog is lucky to still be alive, if it where me I would have shot it (I have a carry permit). I have lived in VERY remote parts of the country(my nearest neighbors were 10 miles a way) and have learned not to be prey to an animal, whether it be wild, feral or just a plain mean pet. I have worked in veterinary medicine and love dogs but aggressive pets have no place in this world. I have always felt that way after having to put sweet dogs and cats to sleep after being attached by aggressive animals that live to continue killing other animals, and feel even more strongly since I had children. Report the dogs, don't let anyone belittle you for your concern for your children's safety, you did something very brave and now you have to foster your daughters courage and help her deal with her fear. My children are my world, I waited 40 years to have them and love them more than I can begin to say, so I will thank you for being a strong mother and standing up for your children.
#77 of 89 Old 07-15-2008, 01:45 AM

I don't want to derail the thread, but it's good to remember that dog-to-dog or dog-to-cat aggression has NOTHING to do with dog-to-human aggression. Dog aggression is entirely appropriate and even encouraged in many breeds; dog-to-cat aggression is usually a function of prey drive and is very common and normal.

It's your job as an owner to make sure that your dog-aggressive or prey-driven dog doesn't kill other animals, but those dogs shouldn't be put down or even discriminated against.
#78 of 89 Old 07-15-2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Seriously. I'd probably be armed up like Rambo with the Dazer in one hand and the super soaker full of ammonia on my back.

Bring it, Bowser!
Ah, coffee up the nose.

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
#79 of 89 Old 07-15-2008, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Heyla all! Just an update...

Animal Control has a file on the two dogs now. The neighbors have been informed of this by both DH and myself. We learned that Dog and Lady Dog are a breeding pair, and that our neighbors make extra money selling the puppies (and Lady Dog is usually caged with puppies so doesn't have the "in home" socialization Dog gets). Both dogs are registered/have papers but here's a great example of wanting to meet the parents because these two do NOT fit my mental image of the "standard" boxer attitude.

Would vinegar or another really smelly liquid work as well as ammonia? Well, maybe not as well, but my concern is that I generally have the baby in the front pack and a toddler at my side and I wouldn't want them getting splashed with ammonia a mile or two from home/sink. It's very ironic that I always had a heavy walking stick with me in case of wild animals (I grew up rurally too) but that day I didn't because I couldn't figure out how to hold baby, toddler, dog, and stick and we'd never had a problem in the past. Sigh... spilt milk.

My current concern is still dd1's emotional recovery. We may not be able to keep Paco (who is the world's sweetest dog) since she has transfered a lot of her anxiety to him as well. She hides when she hears the neighbors dogs barking, she screams when Paco barks, it's been a week and I can't get her more than a few feet from the door, and things seem to be getting worse instead of better. I don't know... I think I'll start a new thread in Childhood since I really don't want to give her the idea that you can just "get rid of" a pet, but I also want her to feel safe/secure in her own home and right now having Paco in the living room isn't helping with that. What a mess.

But I wanted to thank everyone for the ideas and support again! I probably wouldn't have had the guts to file a report/make a stink about this without your help! So much thanks from me, dd1/dd2, and whichever hikers and campers will NOT have to deal with these dogs in the future.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#80 of 89 Old 07-15-2008, 02:39 PM

I don't know if vinegar would have the same effect or not. I don't think it's got quite the same burning effect on the mucous membranes.

Any chance of enlisting an extra walking buddy?

#81 of 89 Old 07-15-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekimballs View Post
I don't want to derail the thread, but it's good to remember that dog-to-dog or dog-to-cat aggression has NOTHING to do with dog-to-human aggression. Dog aggression is entirely appropriate and even encouraged in many breeds; dog-to-cat aggression is usually a function of prey drive and is very common and normal.

It's your job as an owner to make sure that your dog-aggressive or prey-driven dog doesn't kill other animals, but those dogs shouldn't be put down or even discriminated against.
The point of the matter is the dog went after a child, that is aggression that should not be condoned.
You did leave out that dogs as in with any other pet should be socialized with more than just its pack or family and animals that have aggressive tendencies, should be trained to handle those behaviors in a constructive manor. These animals have not been trained or socialized well.
#82 of 89 Old 07-15-2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistify View Post
The point of the matter is the dog went after a child, that is aggression that should not be condoned.
You did leave out that dogs as in with any other pet should be socialized with more than just its pack or family and animals that have aggressive tendencies, should be trained to handle those behaviors in a constructive manor. These animals have not been trained or socialized well.
If you read above, I don't at all condone this behavior. What I objected to was your equating an attack on a child with dogs who bite other dogs. Those are (or can be) completely normal, beautifully socialized, wonderfully trained. Ask Shahbazin, SevenVeils, or APBTLuv if they expect their dogs to always be friendly greeters of every other dog on earth. Or ask me; I had Danes for a long time and they were lovely, fantastic dogs. I had puppies go on to be therapy dogs, agility dogs, obedience dogs, show dogs, they were the model dogs at meet-and-greets, they were in families and with retired people and with couples and so on. Flawless temperaments for the breed, in most cases. And you know what? They would kill a cat if it ran across their field of vision and it wasn't "their" cat. Two of them DID kill a deer once (one was a certified therapy dog). They absolutely would bite a dog if it came into their yard and they were protecting puppies or one of my kids.

My vet has bred and shown bull terriers for years--she rigidly separates her dogs from others and her house is full of baby gates. When I am there without dogs she'll let her office dog out of the crate and he'll come roll around with me and my kids. Wonderful dog. When I bring one of my corgis and walk her past the crate, he throws himself against the door and roars at them. Does he have a bad temperament, is he poorly bred, poorly socialized? No, of course not. He's being a bull terrier.

I just spent a 5-day weekend in the company of 500-750 other dogs; at any one time there are perhaps a hundred or two hundred in a single large room. Because they were well managed, well trained, and well socialized, I didn't see a single genuine fight. But would I ever let a shih tzu loose in a pen full of Malamutes and a full food dish? Show-bred, therapy-dog, gently trained Malamutes? Of course not--the toy dog would be killed and I'd be an idiot for basically encouraging them to do it.

Unless you want an entire segment of dog breeds (all the livestock guard dogs, all the bull breeds, most of the terriers, most of the working dogs, many of the hounds) to disappear--and there are many "trainers" who do, including the famous Sue Sternberg--innate dog aggression or prey drive that results in cats or rabbits or other small furries being killed should never be defined as the result of abuse, poor breeding, poor training. It is a facet of particular dogs and particular breeds that requires meticulous MANAGEMENT so you do not let fights start or let them escalate, but surely doesn't indicate an unsound or abnormal temperament.
#83 of 89 Old 07-15-2008, 04:29 PM

Wait a sec. Does Lady Dog have a litter of puppies at home?

In that case, all bets are off. I am horrified, beyond horrified, at any owner who would let a nursing mom out loose, but I am no longer horrified at the dog. Every nursing or pregnant mom dog has the mom-bear drive to keep all humans and dogs and everything else away from her babies, unless she has been properly introduced to them and assured that they are OK (and sometimes not even then). In other words, if she's got puppies in the house or she's pregnant, this is 100% human fault and, while there's no way of knowing for sure, she's quite possibly a great dog who loves children.
#84 of 89 Old 07-15-2008, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

I don't know if she has puppies now... I was told that when she has puppies she is kept "in the pen". She doesn't look pregnant, she may be nursing (hanging breasts). I'd never seen her till maybe two weeks ago? And we've lived here a few months. Dog is apparently a "house dog" who is allowed to roam but Lady Dog is not part of their regular household so she doesn't regularly interact with their children (they have three children).

I wasn't near their house or on their property, we were on the public road some distance from their house. Within earshot (I know the owners heard the altercation) but not within visual range of their house. And Lady Dog continued to charge when we were on our own property, right outside of our house and inside our fence. I've been blaming the owners from the start... I live near a college town with lots of people getting "bully breeds" and then expecting them to act like "bullies" (instead of working with them on obedience or socialization), then dumping these dogs in fields or shelters at the end of the school year. It's a real problem here.

Given that there are a lot of experienced "dog people" here... any thoughts on coping with dd1's newly enhanced dog phobia? It's been a week...

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#85 of 89 Old 07-15-2008, 04:55 PM

Any possibility that you could contact a very good dog trainer in your town? Somebody who has several VERY well trained dogs? If she can be in a room with some very quiet, gentle, calm dogs and watch someone tell THEM what to do, it might help her "re-tell" the story of what dogs are and how they are with people.

And, this may sound odd, but when she is going to bed tell her to dream about telling dogs to go home, and them obeying her. I do this with my kids when they are having a terrible time with something--I'll snuggle with them and say "tonight you are going to have a wonderful dream, and in that dream a soft gentle dog is going to come up to you, and you're going to say 'Go home, doggy! Go home!' and that doggy willl say 'OK, [name], I WILL go home!' and that soft gentle doggy will trot home to his cozy bed and he will be SO happy that you were in charge of him and told him to go home to his cozy bed." Generally kids--and adults--work through things in dreams and those dreams strongly reflect the state of the mind. So you will have lots of dreams in which you re-live or even escalate the traumatic event, and once you've worked through it and are healing you'll dream of solving the problem or fighting back against the aggressor. If you can guide her to healthy dreams of being powerful, that would help a great deal.

Adding more as I remember things that helped me and our family when I had PTSD after an abusive event; these would work for kids too:

- Help her breathe and relax. Kids can mirror breathing pretty well. Work on making shoulders and feet and face very relaxed. Push out breath through pursed lips, big deep relaxing breaths.

- If she draws, have her draw a "feeling picture." We've used this with our kids for years. A feeling picture is just a picture of what she's feeling right then--one of my kids would draw herself crying, or herself being angry, or the person she was angry at. My current four-year-old draws whatever it is she's thinking about, then big jaggy lines that show her feeling about it, and it all sits on a curly stem--no clue why she's chosen to do it that way but it really helps her focus and calm down.

- Have her draw, or help her draw, the thing that scares her--like a dog with big teeth--and then make a statement about it--"I am very scared of Lady Dog and her teeth" and then take the paper outside and make it go away. Tear it up, if she likes fire burn it, roll it into the grass, whatever. The more it can be a happy game the better. Emphasize to her how much SHE had the power over that bad feeling or bad fear, and just like she made the paper go away she can make the bad feeling inside go away too.
#86 of 89 Old 07-15-2008, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Great ideas, thanks!

#87 of 89 Old 08-08-2008, 05:27 PM

I know this thread is a few weeks old, but just wondering how your LO is doing with her fears now? Those were all good suggestions above. If you are able to find someone, it would be a great idea to get her around a therapy or service dog. A dog who is highly trained, and will do EXACTLY what the trainer tells the dog to do, be very calm, etc. And maybe even your LO could command the dog. We have an ENORMOUS dog. He is like three times the size of my 4 year old. He was being trained to be a service dog, but he was getting way too big! So we adopted him. But, I can tell that my 4 yr old feels very empowered when he tells the dog to sit, lay down, etc., and the dog listens. And he has grown up with this huge creature around. I can only imagine what it must be like, for an adult it would be like having an elephant in the house!

Your LO needs to slowly be introduced to having many good experiences with dogs that will ultimately replace the memory of the bad one.
Also, I can only just now take a walk with both kids (4 and 9) and the dog. I have always (and still do usually) walk the dog alone. The main reason is because of LOOSE DOGS! I live in a neighborhood in a city with LEASH LAWS, yet there are frequently loose dogs around. I just don't get it. And though our dog is super gentle and usually submissive, he is huge. There have been several little dogs that have run right up to him trying to cause trouble. And having to deal with that, I could not also keep up with my kids.

I want to reinforce that you did absolutely nothing wrong, You should not feel bad at all. You could not ahve stopped this. It was those horrible dog owners' fault. I hope they are being forced to keep their dogs fenced now.

And you could not expect a 3 yo to stay calm in a situation like that. I mean, I would have had a hard time not screaming myself. You have done nothing wrong, though! And because you are so aware of it all, you will help her through it and she will be just fine!
#88 of 89 Old 08-08-2008, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

DD1 has good days and bad days, but I'd say the good outweigh the bad. She has held our dog's leash while walking outside the house (just in the yard) and she has spontaneously started playing with him a few times. So I think things will even out eventually. But she does ask almost every day when we will take him back to the shelter, and any time she hears a dog bark she tells us to take him back right away.

Our neighbors re-homed the female dog after she growled at/snapped at one of their own children. Their child is also ok physically, the dog didn't break the skin. Apparently she lost an entire litter of puppies and started "acting odd" so the owners thought some "time outside" would be a "nice change of pace". Errrrr. Anyway, the male dog still roams free and has been in our yard a few times but they are aware of the problem and more responsive. And the male does respond to my vocal control.

DH is still doing our dog's "big walks" in the morning and evening... I take him out with the girls just into the yard (always leashed) a few times during the day. Actually, he (our dog) seems to be part of the problem since he seems to have an inflated sense of his position in the community... he interacts well with the other dogs we've met, but every time he hears/sees/smells the neighbor's male dog he starts pulling this "I'm a big mean dog" barking routine. And seriously, a barely 20lbs shi-tzu poodle mutt against a 65lbs bulldog isn't even funny. And of course, every time our dog barks dd1 freaks out. We're working on the barking (he ONLY barks at that one dog) but ugh.

However, I think things are generally improving, so thanks for all the ideas, advice, and support!

#89 of 89 Old 08-09-2008, 11:08 PM

I'm glad it's improving. I canNOT believe that about the female dog!!! She was "acting odd", so they let her loose??? That is unjustifiable. That's pretty bad that it took the dog acting out towards one of their own kids to do something about it. If you have leash laws, I would seriously be asking/telling them they must keep their male dog leashed/fenced whatever. Your dog may have a harder time not barking at that dog after the incident you had. We had new people move in about a year ago, and the dog (HALF the size of my dog!) has not been trained or socialized well. He bit my dog, and my dog did not bite him back. Yet, even now, I have a very hard time settling my dog down when that dog walks past our house. He just knows.

Glad things are getting better though. It's probably good you didn't get rid of your dog, because she may get something really positive out of this, like a sense of having gone through something difficult, yet coming out stronger on the other side!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page