Poll: Is this kitten cute or ugly? *UPDATE post 32, 49, pics in 64* - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Cute kitten or not?
Yes, she is extra cute 48 37.80%
No, she's kind of ugly 58 45.67%
What are you talking about? She looks like a normal kitten! 10 7.87%
Other (please elaborate) 11 8.66%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 76 Old 07-15-2008, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I mean, every single kitten is cute, but as far as kittens go, do you think this one is extra cute or too weird looking?

We love her and I'm calling in the morning about her, hopefully she'll come to live with us tomorrow. We plan to name her Chupacabra

But we were talking about how unusual she looks and I was wondering whether most people would find her extra appealing or less appealing than usual kittens.

You know, like pugs are really unappealing to me, but many people just love their looks to death.

It won't hurt my feelings at all if everyone says the kitten is hideous, I'm just curious

Kitten
#2 of 76 Old 07-15-2008, 04:31 AM

Was there meant to be a picture?

Mum to Quinn, Aug 14th 2010
#3 of 76 Old 07-15-2008, 04:33 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Link? I can't imagine an ugly kitten, although the hairless ones kinda creep me out on a sensory level.

ETA~ oh she's cute! I love those big ears.
#4 of 76 Old 07-15-2008, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter

I fixed it as you were typing

I got all excited when I saw her or something.
#5 of 76 Old 07-15-2008, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter

Funny you said that. I think she looks like a hairless cat (Sphinx) with hair
#6 of 76 Old 07-15-2008, 05:00 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Ya I think it's the bald part that bothers me.
#7 of 76 Old 07-15-2008, 05:10 AM

She's ..... interesting. But if she's got personality, it won't matter what she looks like. Love the name!
#8 of 76 Old 07-15-2008, 05:20 AM

I think she's cute because she's kinda ugly I love her big ears!!

Mum to Quinn, Aug 14th 2010
#9 of 76 Old 07-15-2008, 05:25 AM

Definatly looks like a sphinx. There is a breed of cat that looks like that but I cant remember the name.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#10 of 76 Old 07-15-2008, 05:48 AM

Had to go google it called the Havana and another one called the Peterbald

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#11 of 76 Old 07-15-2008, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

I used to have a boyfriend whose parents raised Oriental Shorthairs and I actually thought that this kitten resembles that breed.
#12 of 76 Old 07-15-2008, 06:28 AM

Yep she definatly has a face like the Orientals there. May have even been the breed I was thinking of.

#13 of 76 Old 07-15-2008, 06:36 AM

Aw, ugly is winning. I think she is the kind who may look a little extreme now compared to the little fluffy tiger kittens from the posters, but she will grow into a real beauty (so I picked cute).

I had a part siamese cat who was very lean and angular and elongated just like this kitten. He was gorgeous and a very smart and loving (and lively!) guy for many years. Quirky though: liked black beans, broccoli and watermelon.

She reminds me of those egyptian statues.

-Vijay
#14 of 76 Old 07-15-2008, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

I used to have a cat that loved lettuce, cantaloupe and grapes, among other oddities.

I love angular, extreme cats and dogs

I also love molosser type (mastiffy) dogs though, I guess I'm just into extremes or something.

And really, I don't have any emotional investment in the outcome of this poll. I promise.
#15 of 76 Old 07-15-2008, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jade* View Post
I think she's cute because she's kinda ugly I love her big ears!!
#16 of 76 Old 07-15-2008, 09:22 AM

When I hovered over this thread I thought to myself "is there such a thing as an ugly kitten??", and then I opened it up and saw those Siamese bat ears. She is ADORABLE. I love me some Siamese fugliness! Though I personally don't think they're ugly because I grew up with them in all their cross eyed bat eared glory, I can certainly understand why other's might. My husband HATED my mom's modern Siamese (the really triangular show type). He though she was mean and ugly. She used to give "love bites", that were akin to kissing, and if you bent over she'd jump on your back. I kid you not, this cat didn't have a mean bone in her body, but after being bitten and jumped on, his mind was set on her being the debil cat.

I miss her so much. She was the coolest cat ever.

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
#17 of 76 Old 07-15-2008, 09:39 AM

She's cute is a bat-like way! When do you meet her?
#18 of 76 Old 07-15-2008, 09:57 AM

Uh, I don't see any persian in there anywhere, at least no persian that you'd see in a showhall.

To, me, the cat looks similar to one of the rexes.

http://www.cfa.org/breeds/profiles/cornish.html

Siamese today also have large ears, yes, but the ears are shaped differently and the placement is much lower on the head. Maybe they bred it with a very poor example of a persian.

As for what kitty looks like, does it matter what any of us think. If the cat has a good personality, the looks will "grow on you."

It was more likely a siamese bred to a really poor example of the persian breed. There are backyard breeders still selling very old persian bloodlines, where the persians they sell are not distinuishable from longhaired random bred sheltered cats. Here are some examples of those "persians"

http://k41.pbase.com/o6/47/2147/1/82...MissMuffin.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_LlfXWxcpJyU/SA...stalline-1.jpg

a rather strong contrast from the breed standard. http://www.cfa.org/breeds/profiles/persian.html

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#19 of 76 Old 07-15-2008, 11:18 AM

She's cute! I love siamese type cats. And another "yeah that" to seeing zero persian, no smooshed face, smaller ears, big round eyes, long fur…

Some day I'd like a siamese type cat. Especially if it's yowly. I love the yowl.

~Julia
#20 of 76 Old 07-15-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlutgendorf View Post
Some day I'd like a siamese type cat. Especially if it's yowly. I love the yowl.
I'll ship Sam-Saki and Mason to you. They've been driving me CRAZY with their chatty yowling thing. Mason goes to the basement every morning to vocalize and Sam can't seem to keep her mouth shut at 3 a.m. I'll even cover the shipping!

As for the kitten, ADORABLE. How could someone not love ears that big!? What a cutie!
#21 of 76 Old 07-15-2008, 12:28 PM

She definitely looks like an oriental shorthair to me.

I think she'll be a beautiful cat but the really pointy features are a bit jarring on a kitten. Almost like she's got a grown-up cat face on her itty bitty fuzzy little body.

Alison: BFing, BWing, ERFing mama to KidA (12/25/07) and KidO (6/26/10) nocirc.giffamilybed2.gif

#22 of 76 Old 07-15-2008, 12:54 PM

I'm thinking beautiful and exotic... like a young super model kitty
I don't really like fluffy kittens I like the big tilted eyes and huge ears. And look at that pose! So regal.

---feeling like an emu on acid---
#23 of 76 Old 07-15-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday13th View Post
I think she'll be a beautiful cat but the really pointy features are a bit jarring on a kitten. Almost like she's got a grown-up cat face on her itty bitty fuzzy little body.
Yeah, I'm guessing things will even out a little as she gets bigger...
#24 of 76 Old 07-15-2008, 01:03 PM

I voted she's kind of ugly.

However, I think she will become a beautiful cat once she grows into those giant ears. Very sleek and elegant is my prediction.

Enjoy the new kitty

Alicia DH Mike DS Gage Lola & Zeus Fishy Dishy, Charkey and Shark
RIP Sidney 1994-2010 RIP Charlie Brown 2008-2010
#25 of 76 Old 07-15-2008, 07:58 PM

She's funny looking to me, but that makes her cute, if kwim. I like her big ears too. I had a male cat that had huge ears like that , and a long pointy face, he may have had a bit of that oriental breed that one of the op's linked to.
#26 of 76 Old 07-15-2008, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

phatchristy, I can't open your links

I too can't see any persian, my son and I think the people are crazy. I tried to call them a couple of times, but I haven't heard back. The ad went up the day before yesterday so I'm hoping she's still there. I must admit that I was hoping that everyone would say that she's ugly because that would give a better chance of her still being available

That, and the fact that they live really out of the way might help
#27 of 76 Old 07-15-2008, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenVeils View Post
phatchristy, I can't open your links

I too can't see any persian, my son and I think the people are crazy. I tried to call them a couple of times, but I haven't heard back. The ad went up the day before yesterday so I'm hoping she's still there. I must admit that I was hoping that everyone would say that she's ugly because that would give a better chance of her still being available

That, and the fact that they live really out of the way might help
I don't know why the links aren't working! UGH, I'll go check after this. You can go to CFAinc.org and just click on the breed profiles for the breeds I mentioned, that should work.

Sounds like you don't have the kitty yet, what do *you* think? Do you think the kitty is cute? I doubt the ears will look that much smaller as they do grow as the kitten grows. Sometimes the ear placement will drop, meaning that they will be lower on the side of the head. At least, that's what usually happens with persians...don't know if it's happened with all cats!

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#28 of 76 Old 07-16-2008, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, we think that she's striking and gorgeous. I talked to the guy today, sounds like a very nice home. Her mother is a purebred Siamese, father is the neighbor's persian-type mixed cat (I expect that just means that he has long hair). She's never been outside, and sounds like she has a very nice temperament.

We have plans to go there tomorrow evening so we'll see
#29 of 76 Old 07-16-2008, 12:23 AM

I'd think she was totally cool if she was just spontaneously that way. If someone purposefully bred a cat to look that way, I'd thnk it was just hokey.
#30 of 76 Old 07-16-2008, 01:39 AM

I think she's pretty funny looking, but it doesn't really matter

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page