cat suddenly peeing around house - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 07-29-2008, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
help... my 9 year old cat suddenly is peeing on laundry and piles of stuff on the floor. he has NEVER peed outside of the litter box in his entire life and we have had him since he was a kitten. could this be a sign of a medical problem? my baby has just recently started crawling and is after him more. although, i do not let the baby get him. i always stick up for kitty. he is in general not a very friendly cat... never has been. but we have never had problems with him... should i take him to the vet?

peace

jen

jen mommy to dd1 (11y), dd2 (6y) and ds (3y)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 07-29-2008, 02:18 PM

It *could* be a sign of a medical problem, however it is actually fairly common for a cat to pee on laundry/piles of stuff when they're not happy with something or stressed. Sometimes the litter box may not be up to the cats cleanliness standards, and the cat will choose somewhere else like that to eliminate.

Sweat contains urea, and often clothes for that reason can be an attractive place for them to urinate. Piles of papers, rubber backed rugs are also popular. If it were me, I would remove those items from the floor, clean the areas properly if urine got through to the floor and make sure the litter pan is clean. Then, see how the cat does.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#3 of 17 Old 07-29-2008, 02:19 PM

Yes, it could be a UTI. A vet visit is probably a good idea.
#4 of 17 Old 07-29-2008, 03:47 PM

I would take him to the vet to rule out a UTI/crystals in the urine. sometimes they associate pain with the litter box and begin to avoid it.

If a cat develops a blockage due to crystals, it can be life threatening. This is more common in males than females.

Christy is right though, it could just be that he is upset about something
#5 of 17 Old 07-29-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspeach View Post
I would take him to the vet to rule out a UTI/crystals in the urine. sometimes they associate pain with the litter box and begin to avoid it.

If a cat develops a blockage due to crystals, it can be life threatening. This is more common in males than females.

Christy is right though, it could just be that he is upset about something
The reason why I wrote what I did first was because of the cats age. Usually you would have discovered FUS in a male cat by the time a cat was a few years old..it's rather rare for an older cat to suddenly develop it. And, a UTI is actually rather rare in a male cat (just like it is rare in a male human). The urinary tract is very long in males and not normally prone to infection. Of all the cats I've had I've only experienced two UTIs, and they were both in females (whole females for that matter!).

And, she mentioned about her baby crawling and going after him. That sounds pretty stressful to me from a cats point of view. LOL.

I'm thinking behavioral based on the pattern of where he's going too. But, obviously if getting rid of the piles on the floor/proper cleaning doesn't eliminate the problem then I'd take him in to rule out anything else.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#6 of 17 Old 07-29-2008, 04:50 PM

I agree with you

I just had to say take kitty to the vet because Teg has crystals.. bad experience.. better to err on the side of caution. I get nervous when I see that someone's cat is peeing out of the box. It isn't always a medical problem, but I feel compelled to offer that as a possible cause.

when I was at the dog show recently, I met a persian breeder and thought of you!
#7 of 17 Old 07-29-2008, 06:29 PM

Our elderly cat started doing this when he got hyperthyroidism and assorted problems from that. Before that, he's peed around the house during an UTI. So I'd get it checked out, just in case.
#8 of 17 Old 07-29-2008, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the replies.... my cat was acting increasingly strange (laying around, making frequent trips to the litter box, peeing on my daughter's back pack) so we took him to the vet. When the vet examined him he said that his bladder was very hard and distended. He said that he could have bladder stones and that this is common in older male cats. It should be mentioned also that my cat is partially long haired and has recently developed hair mats which led me to believe that he was just having a hard time grooming himself. The vet said this is also a sign of a cat that is not feeling too well. Anyway, it was recommended that he have a series of tests to rule out the bladder stones and get an idea of the size etc.. if they are there. He is having urinalysis, blood work and xrays. He has to stay overnight and the bill will be $700. I am just sick because my kitty is sick and because we REALLY do not have this money right now. And.. this is just to diagnose the problem. If he has the stones he may need surgery which will be another $1200 which we can't afford at all. However, it is possible that he does not have the stones and will be able to treat the problem with medicine. Although, because his bladder was so hard this seems unlikely to me. I am beside myself and do not know what to do. As a child we had to put down 3 different cats due to illness or old age and this was very traumatic. I still cry for them sometimes. I have never had to face this as an adult as he is my first cat as an adult. I have 2 children who are old enough to understand and I have no idea what I will say to them. I feel extremely horrible even allowing this thought to cross my mind so please don't scold me for it.... I need info on this condition and support if anyone has btdt....

peace

jen

#9 of 17 Old 07-29-2008, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigismom View Post
thanks for the replies.... my cat was acting increasingly strange (laying around, making frequent trips to the litter box, peeing on my daughter's back pack) so we took him to the vet. ...

I feel extremely horrible even allowing this thought to cross my mind so please don't scold me for it.... I need info on this condition and support if anyone has btdt....

peace

jen
Definitely with those new symptoms...straining, odd physical behavior, frequency of litter box visits...thats medical!

I know some information from my experience with FUS, and it so happens that persians seem to have higher incidence of calcium oxalate crystals! Which I've heard about occasionally (though not as much as FUS).

The condition FUS involves struvite crystals...sometimes larger struvite crystals can form, however usually you don't see that kind of crystal form unless the food is really bad quality or the cat is fed table scraps because to form struvite crystals you need a high urinary PH. So, you find nowadays most good quality cat foods give a very acidic PH, because in general it's better to have a low urinary PH because that prevents the vast majority of urinary issues (specifically FUS or urinary crystals) in cats. Struvite stones can form in some cases in cats, generally in younger animals, though those can be dissolved by urine acidifiers, and you don't see them in a good quality low urinary pH producing diet.

The type of stone that often develops in older animals on good diets (low pH) tend to be the calcium oxalate stones. Because having such a low pH also leaches calcium out of a cats system, and calcium oxalate stones form only in a low pH environment, some cats will form these types of stones as a result of a low pH diet.

Low urinary pH actually prevents FUS from occuring, the weird thing is...in some cats, it causes calcium stones to develop. But, the food manufacturers still maintain a low pH because FUS is much more common than the formation of calcium oxalate stones.

There's a whole host of info http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Con...lx?P=A&A=1741:

Quote:
Most calcium oxalate stones develop in cats between ages 5 and 14 years.

35% of cats with calcium oxalate bladder stones have elevated blood calcium (hypercalcemia).

Cats with calcium oxalate bladder stones tend not to have crystals in their urine (while those with struvite stones tend to have struvite crystals in their urine).

Cats with calcium oxalate stones tend not to have bladder infections and tend to have acid urine pH on their urinalysis.
I'm hoping that for your cats sake (and your wallet) that they're not the calcium ones that can only be removed surgically.

As far as the costs go, if you do wind up in that situation I would definitely ask the vet about the long term costs of maintenance. Likely he will have to have more frequent vet visits initially and more urinary tests, etc. If cost is a concern you need to know in advance what would be involved for his future, etc. Obviously, if it's the calcium ones then it's going to involve the surgery which is the big upfront cost.

Anyhow, LOTS of hugs and good wishes for your boy. I can imagine you are so scared and worried about him. There's also something called "care credit" that many people here have used when they've had unexpected medical bills for their pet or themselves.

#10 of 17 Old 07-30-2008, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

well it has been a tough day. after the tests came back it ws clear that he does have the calcium oxalate crystals and will need surgery. the only other option is to not have the surgery and he will slowly and painfully pass on. i can not allow that. also (breathing a big sigh of relief) the vet will not euthanize when the condition is treatable. i respect this so much and am glad that this was taken out of the equation. however, this does not change the financials. so after tearful begging (i lost all dignity) the vet agreed to do the surgery for $900. this is still alot but agreeable to dh. so my little kitty will feel better soon and i am so happy. he will have surgery tomarrow morning. i don't know when he will get to come home. i assume they will kick him out as soon as possible especially since they are getting a reduced fee. anyway, thanks for the info and hugs. i love mdc and spend waaaay to much time here but have actually never visited the pets forum. thanks so much, mamas!!

peace

jen

#11 of 17 Old 07-30-2008, 09:09 PM

I'm sorry to hear your kitty has crystals.

I'm glad to know that your vet is willing to work with you on the cost.

: surgery goes well and he recovers quickly
#12 of 17 Old 07-31-2008, 12:55 AM

Awww....that's what I was worried about, the calcium oxalate stones. When you wrote the vet had suspected stones, based on his age and no previous history I was worried about those!

At least you got him to reduce his fees, in my experience most vets would disagree with him to not euthanize a cat that is "treatable", especially where cost is a major issue. I definitely agree with a vet refusing to euthanize a cat with no illness or no major behavioral issues. But, if it is gravely ill, with a condition that is expensive to treat and/or difficult to maintain, it should be at the owner's discretion IMHO. Because nowaday, you can do a lot with veterinary medicine, much more even in the last ten years. And, some treatments mean upwards of $5-10,000...such as some cancer treatments...which a lot of people can't afford. Plus, many conditions have high maintenance levels and greater responsibility levels which depending on their lifestyles they may not be able to handle. I wonder if he had a cat there with the same condition where the people were out of work and had bad credit what he would have done. But vets, just like people, have all different opinions about those things.

Anyhow, sorry I got on a tangent. At least now the surgery costs are doable for you, and hopefully this vet has told you some of what to expect in the future. You can always google to find more stories of people in the same situation and they'll give you more of an idea of the changes that will need to be made to his diet, etc.

Hope kitty gets through surgery well, that he has a smooth recovery and never sees another stone!

#13 of 17 Old 08-02-2008, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

just thought i would give a quick update on my kitty... we picked him up today (the surgery was thurs) he is eating very well. the vet said to watch to make sure he gets a steady stream of urine by monday. he definitely does not have this now. he tries to pee and makes frequent trips to his litter box but seems to only sprinkle and the urine has blood in it. the vet said to expect this. i am a bit worried and hope that he starts to pee more normally soon. he does not drink much.. never has drank out of a bowl, just the toilet i don't think he is drinking now either. however, he is eating wet food. we have him kind of confined to one room of the house with his food litter box, bed and a bowl of water. it is his favorite room and has great windows to look out. i think he is comfortable. i am also nervous because tomarrow is sunday and the vet is closed. hopefully, he will just start to pee and get back to normal...

peace

jen

#14 of 17 Old 08-03-2008, 12:16 AM

What kind of special diet do they have him on now...I remember that it's going to have to have a higher pH. I would think as they have had to open his bladder he would have a lot of swelling and bleeding for a little while.

If they want you to increase his water, what about a drinkwell fountain. Since he likes to drink from the toilet he may love the drinkwell as it is free flowing well hydrated and filtered. http://www.vetventures.com/

Glad kitty made it through surgery OK! Hoping he makes a speedy recovery and has no reoccurances of the stones.

#15 of 17 Old 08-03-2008, 01:41 AM

We bought the Catit fountain for my sister's cats that didn't drink except from the toilet and they LOVE it. The water cascades over a plastic bowlish thing so they can drink from the flow, which they seem to enjoy. My friend that has Birmans has the drinkwell and her cats like it too.
#16 of 17 Old 08-03-2008, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

the kids and i were just about to leave to go buy Katkoot a water fountain thing when i thought i would check my email quick and there are 2 recommendations for kitty water fountains!! i think he would like it too. he still is not drinking from the bowl at all as far as i can tell. he is eating very well though. he loves the wet food. he even took his medicine that i hid in the food this morning. he still is not peeing freely though. he tries frequently (in the litter box, thankfully) and gets a couple of squirts (still blood tinged but not as much as yesterday). i have found a couple of larger clumps of pee in his litter box so hopefully this is a good sign. he is starting to act a bit more animated. he meowed for food this morning and purrs when we pet him. i really feel like all of this is within the realm of normal for a kitty just recovering from bladder surgery. thanks again for the replies and support.

peace

jen

#17 of 17 Old 08-03-2008, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatchristy View Post
What kind of special diet do they have him on now...I remember that it's going to have to have a higher pH. I would think as they have had to open his bladder he would have a lot of swelling and bleeding for a little while.
it is a prescription food by royal canine... the type is urinary so, i think

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page