Chronic rhinitis in cats? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-31-2008, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dylan has had "issues" on and off for years with occasional snotty nose and sneezing, but has always acted completely normal. I assumed allergies. He recently had his annual exam with lab work since he's geriatric (12yrs) and they found some changes in his blood that are commonly associated with allergies/chronic rhinitis. My vet says there's nothing to be done--just watch him for signs of illness as secondary bacterial infections can occur.

Anyone deal with this? Anything I can do to help my sneezing/snotty cat? He eats Wellness Core dry and wet with a weekly chicken neck/wing for dental benefits.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 07-31-2008, 02:15 PM

I'd love to hear some responses. I've got my own snotter. The distance he can fling cat snot is truely disgusting.

Putting him on a better food and buying the expensive but super low dust litter has helped.

We had him on antibiotics and an antihystamine once when we thought he may have also had a bacterial infection. I didn't notice the anihystamine really helping.

~Julia
#3 of 9 Old 07-31-2008, 02:21 PM

Yes, my cat is the same way and always has been. We thought at first that she had caught a virus from her shelter, so we hyper-boosted her immunity when we first got her by giving her monthly vaccines and daily l-lysine, neither of which really seemed to do a whole heck of a lot of good. We have switched foods and litters, and and I can't say that made any major difference either.

We have noticed it gets much worse with the change of seasons, which made us think allergies, but it seems most reactive to stress. So basically we just try to remove irritants as best as possible and keep her healthy and happy. We now use a 3-day rule: if she sneezes a LOT (like, 20 times in a row or more, no exaggeration) for more than 3 days, we take her in to get checked out. Likewise, if we ever see any bloody snot, she goes in. She very very rarely gets a secondary infection, so our primary concern most of the time is how to get that snot off the windows.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#4 of 9 Old 07-31-2008, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah it's truly disgusting! Snot is the one thing that will make me vomit on sight, so it's really not good!

I honestly noticed this starting after I put down my last dog. He and Dylan were BEST friends. Poor little D was rescued when he was 5 weeks old after his mom was hit by a car, so he was raised thinking my dog was his guardian. It really hit him hard when Maverick died, so I can totally see the stress trigger. It seems that when he gets really worked up playing a stuff it happens then too. I wonder if a Feliway diffuser might help by reducing stress?! Hmmmm....
#5 of 9 Old 07-31-2008, 04:41 PM

Chronic rhinitis isn't exactly the same as allergies. Usually it's caused by some sort of chronic state of a virus. It's not so much an issue as long as they don't get a secondary bacterial infection.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/in.../bc/121616.htm

The testing to figure out if it is actually rhinitis may be expensive, and I remember their being any really obvious treatments. If it's mild and no secondary infection it sounds like the vet isn't worried about it.

But if it's allergies, I don't what you can do if you can't determine the source. A lot of times with cats they exhibit allergies mostly through skin reactions. I've had a couple like that, and it can be very difficult to figure out what the allergy is. Unless it has displayed some sort of pattern, or you can determine through special diets that it is foodborne. Otherwise, you sort of just have to treat the symptoms as they come up (with the skin), exhibitors with cats with allergies will often keep them on steroids for long periods of time during their show career, but I don't do that. If it was really acute, perhaps temporarily, but chronic is different.

The question is, is it significantly bugging the cat, or just an incidental finding from your vet to just be aware of?

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#6 of 9 Old 07-31-2008, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9rider View Post

Yeah it's truly disgusting! Snot is the one thing that will make me vomit on sight, so it's really not good!

I honestly noticed this starting after I put down my last dog. He and Dylan were BEST friends. Poor little D was rescued when he was 5 weeks old after his mom was hit by a car, so he was raised thinking my dog was his guardian. It really hit him hard when Maverick died, so I can totally see the stress trigger. It seems that when he gets really worked up playing a stuff it happens then too. I wonder if a Feliway diffuser might help by reducing stress?! Hmmmm....
I'm sorry about him losing his companion...if it is the rhinitis, there are actual certain strains of the herpes virus I believe that can cause that...so perhaps stress COULD trigger one of the chronic states of one of the rhinitis causing viruses.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#7 of 9 Old 08-01-2008, 12:42 AM

k9rider - I know this thread is about your cat, but I just wanted to tell you how much I (and my youngest 2 kids!) are enjoying your breeder's blog about your new puppy's litter. I lurk around the pet forum to plan for the time done the road when I can have a dog (maybe when my baby goes to college?) and absolutely love goldens. Your puppy and litter are so adorable and it's so fun to watch them grow up! I don't know how you are going to pick one, though. I hope after she comes home that you'll post constant updates and pictures!
#8 of 9 Old 08-01-2008, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatchristy View Post
Chronic rhinitis isn't exactly the same as allergies. Usually it's caused by some sort of chronic state of a virus. It's not so much an issue as long as they don't get a secondary bacterial infection.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/in.../bc/121616.htm

The testing to figure out if it is actually rhinitis may be expensive, and I remember their being any really obvious treatments. If it's mild and no secondary infection it sounds like the vet isn't worried about it.

But if it's allergies, I don't what you can do if you can't determine the source. A lot of times with cats they exhibit allergies mostly through skin reactions. I've had a couple like that, and it can be very difficult to figure out what the allergy is. Unless it has displayed some sort of pattern, or you can determine through special diets that it is foodborne. Otherwise, you sort of just have to treat the symptoms as they come up (with the skin), exhibitors with cats with allergies will often keep them on steroids for long periods of time during their show career, but I don't do that. If it was really acute, perhaps temporarily, but chronic is different.

The question is, is it significantly bugging the cat, or just an incidental finding from your vet to just be aware of?
Thanks Christy! I don't think he's bothered by it too much and my vet didn't seem to be concerned at all. He's been snotty yesterday and today but we just picked him up after boarding at the vet's for 11 days, so I know he was a little stressed. It'll clear up soon.

I don't think it's seasonal outdoor allergies as it tends to come and go throughout the year, but it could be something indoors. His food is different than it was when this all started--we used to feed him Nutro then switched to Wellness, then to EVO, and now to Wellness CORE. The proteins have changed and he's been grain free for over a year so I'm thinking that it's not food.

Ah well, I'm not going to worry about it I guess unless he starts acting sick.
#9 of 9 Old 08-01-2008, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjen View Post
k9rider - I know this thread is about your cat, but I just wanted to tell you how much I (and my youngest 2 kids!) are enjoying your breeder's blog about your new puppy's litter. I lurk around the pet forum to plan for the time done the road when I can have a dog (maybe when my baby goes to college?) and absolutely love goldens. Your puppy and litter are so adorable and it's so fun to watch them grow up! I don't know how you are going to pick one, though. I hope after she comes home that you'll post constant updates and pictures!
Aw thanks! We're really excited!! Fortunately the breeder will be picking our puppy for us because otherwise I'd up taking all 9

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page