My dog's eyes are swollen - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-03-2008, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, so, out of the blue, my dog's eyes have swollen shut. Both of them. Really bad. He's mostly lying down, right now, because every time the poor guy gets up to follow me around, he bumps into something.
I'm kind of freaked out. He seems OK, other than his eyes being swollen. It seems like they're itching him, b/c when he stands up, he rubs his eyes with his paws. DH wants to wait to take him in till tomorrow...
I was freaking out b/c his eyes looked SCARY when he opens them, I thought maybe he poked his eyes or something?? but I didn't know, b/c he's not so dumb that he'd poke BOTH eyes so bad, right? so I called the vet 24-hour hotline. I described what's going on, and the vet said that it sounds like a fairly? common symptom of an allergic reaction, even though nothing else seems to be swollen. I had the choice to bring him in, or I could give him benadryl and see what happens. So since the office visit alone is $105, we opted for the benadryl. But I'm so confused.
For one, I'm not really sure how long his eyes have been swollen like this, other than he was fine this morning. I was gone all day long, and DH told me that he had the dog chained up outside (because we are not allowed to have him unchained when he's in the back yard) and it started raining cats and dogs when he was out, and he came home and found the dog with his face planted firmly in the screen. He said the dog seemed really sleepy, and tired out/depressed. I know the dog *really* hates rain, to the point where if it's raining out, I physically have to pick him up or shove him outside to potty, because he just won't walk out there when it's raining. So I didn't think anything of it until just a while ago when I noticed that the dog was not only acting mellower than usual, but he didn't seem to be opening his eyes.

Now I am not sure if his eyes were swollen like this right when I got home, or if they got swollen like this after I fed him his dinner. He had raw meaty pork bones. It's not the first time I've given him pork, but it IS the first time I've given him THIS kind of pork. But it was just plain pork bones! Can you have an allergic reaction to that?
I don't know what else could have caused the reaction. I gave him a bath yesterday with new shampoo, but he was fine after it and all yesterday.
The only other thing I can think of is that maybe while he was in the back, he tried to eat a centipede or something and it attacked him? I don't know, I'm just confused and worried.

Obviously, if things don't improve, I'm going to take him in to the vet, and I'll be keeping a close eye on him. But if I don't know what caused it, how can I make sure it doesn't happen again!~? I mean, I know he doesn't like rain, but he can't POSSIBLY be THAT allergic to the rain!

Have you ever had this happen to your dog??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 08-03-2008, 11:25 AM

It sounds more like a contact reaction than a food reaction - or maybe bug bites/stings. Keep up on the Benadryl doses and consider saline eye drops to flush the eyes. Poor dog!

My Mastiffy-Mutt once tangled with several wasps (repeatedly - duh!) and that happened to her. BTW she was afraid of flies, but continued to tangle with wasps.
#3 of 5 Old 08-03-2008, 02:34 PM

I agree with bites/stings. Keep up the Benadryl at full dose. And tell your husband that if no one is home, the dog should be inside/crated .
#4 of 5 Old 08-03-2008, 03:11 PM

Fire ants did that to Rhino once. All the vet told me to do was gve him benadryl.

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
#5 of 5 Old 08-06-2008, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

Well, it took two days, but Archer's eyes are better now.

I am fairly sure it was a bug, now. MIL found a centipede-body in the back. I'm guessing that's what did it.

Thanks!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page