Puppy eating his poop - what to do???? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-08-2008, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is there anything other than telling him "leave it" that I can do to keep him from eating his poop?

I wonder if there is a supplement I can give him that will make him not want to eat it (like they have for cats)?

Help??? I am totally grossed out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 08-08-2008, 05:54 PM

My dogs do this...the only thing that seems to work for me is picking it up right away before they can get to it...it is disgusting...one time we took a ride somewhere and I had one of our whippets on my lap...she got carsick and guess what she threw up *in the car*...recycled crap! Luckily, I waw ready and had her barf into a plastic bag but it was still gross nontheless :Puke
#3 of 8 Old 08-08-2008, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Well, little Jack pooped in the house this morning while I had my back turned and by the time I made it to him he had already eaten it.

This is not going to be the fun part of having a puppy. I already have issues with poop!
#4 of 8 Old 08-08-2008, 07:21 PM

Most dogs will eat poop-especially cat poo since their diet is much richer than dogs so the poop smells good to them-eeeeeeewwwwwww. The only way to really prevent it is to be diligent about picking it up and the eagle eye approach. Mine did it but has grown out of it.
#5 of 8 Old 08-08-2008, 08:59 PM

Yeah, mine used to be a total poop fiend, but he also grew out of it. When it was rampant, we were just extra vigilant about scooping the poop and keeping an eye on him.

These days, he will sometimes sniff other dogs' poop on a walk, and I let him out of curiosity -- he never eats it, just moves on to sniff the next thing.

Me + DP + 2 rescue lap dogs = True Love Always
#6 of 8 Old 08-09-2008, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have heard if you give them some pinapple this will help. aparently i dos not taste pleasent.

I just told my dog no. Since she was on a leash it was easy to keep her from it until I could clean it up.

although today she found some bird poop that you would have thought as the tastiest treat ever . . . but she leaves hers alone.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#7 of 8 Old 08-09-2008, 05:38 PM

We go to a holistic vet who told me they are looking for probiotics (beneficial intestinal organisms) and that if you start giving probiotics, they will lose interest in poop. There is one called Juice Plus for Dogs....it has probiotics and digestive enzymes. It is an MLM product...however it was not a bad price compared to human enzymes and probiotics and has a flavor that is appealing to dogs, so I tried it...after a couple months of it our Belgian Shepherd stopped eating poop. If you would rather avoid an MLM product you can get the listing of ingredients for it and find similar enzymes and probiotics for your dog. Just sprinkle it on their food and wet it down a bit so they don't breathe in the powder.

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#8 of 8 Old 08-10-2008, 04:35 PM

There is a powder called For-Bid that you can get at the pet store that you sprinkle a packet into the dogs canned food. After the dog ingests this powder, it will cause the stools to become nasty tasting. According to a description I read in a pet catalog about it, this powder will stop stool eating sometimes in one treatment. You can also get this powder through www.upco.com and www.jefferspet.com

Jessie

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page