Vent: Neighbor Taking Dog to the Pound to be Euthanized - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 08-10-2008, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is making me so angry! They have a really really really old beagle that is really really really over-weight, partially blind, partially deaf, incontinent, and can barely walk. They carry the dog to its food, they carry the dog outside and in. It's heartbreaking. I've been recommending vets to them, since they don't have one for the dog. They don't want to spend the money. I'm not doubting that the dog is at the end of its good life, with only more pain and more deterioration ahead, but they are moving tomorrow and just want to take him to the pound. They are fighting over who should take him to the pound, like fighting over who has to take the garbage out. And most infuriatingly, this is not what the humane society is for! Geez. Stop buying beer and cigarettes for a day or two and pay to have him euthanized in the arms of his owners! This is not the first time that they have taken pets to the pound before moving. The pound is not for people who just don't feel like spending money on care for their pet, people who have not tried to find alternative measures, people who just don't feel like having an elderly dog pee on the carpet in their new place.

BTW, they have money to care for this pet, they just chose not to. It makes me so flipping angry! Money is very very tight in our house. Very. I will save all year to take my cat and guinea pigs in to the vet for routine care. My kitten is due to be spayed next month and I've been saving since we got her and calling around and found a low-cost spay/neuter clinic for her. It's possible. If I can do it, they can do it.

Thanks for letting me go off on this!

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

#2 of 24 Old 08-10-2008, 02:56 AM

My father did the same thing. I was horrified. I still feel sick thinking about his poor, elderly dog being dropped off to die with strangers. My father's reasoning was that a vet might try to talk him into surgery or some sort of treatment for the dog, and he didn't want to have to deal with saying no.
#3 of 24 Old 08-10-2008, 03:01 AM

poor doggy

Im peeved today too..i went by my FIL's house & he had 6 little puppies in his fence.i asked where they came from.he said my sil dropped them off.
shes too busy buying beer to get her dog fixed.this is the 3rd set of puppies shes had in 2 years.
she took the other puppies to the pound..its a high kill shelter

my fil cant take care of these puppies..he just had surgery.I asked what he was going to do with them & he said nothing.my sil was gonna take them to the pound this week
#4 of 24 Old 08-10-2008, 03:29 AM

mischievous.gif
#5 of 24 Old 08-10-2008, 04:12 AM

That's just irresponsible.
#6 of 24 Old 08-10-2008, 03:09 PM

I used to work at an animal clinic, and many people dropped their animals off to be euthanized. For me and the animals, it was absolutely heartbreaking. These pets deserved to be with the people they knew and loved. The people often felt it would be too difficult to watch as their pet died.

I was the one who held the animals and spoke softly to them as they passed from this world. I cried more for their loss (the loss of their families in their final hour) than I did for the owners.
#7 of 24 Old 08-10-2008, 03:17 PM

Poor dog.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#8 of 24 Old 08-10-2008, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't seen the dog today. I think it's gone.

The thing is that this dog is older than their children (who are 10 and 11) and has been a part of their life and a good pet for so long...

MPJJJ, I hope that this dog finds someone at the shelter who will hold him as he passes.

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

#9 of 24 Old 08-10-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPJJJ View Post
I used to work at an animal clinic, and many people dropped their animals off to be euthanized. For me and the animals, it was absolutely heartbreaking. These pets deserved to be with the people they knew and loved. The people often felt it would be too difficult to watch as their pet died.

I was the one who held the animals and spoke softly to them as they passed from this world. I cried more for their loss (the loss of their families in their final hour) than I did for the owners.
I'm very glad there are people like you around.

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
#10 of 24 Old 08-11-2008, 11:45 AM

Ugh - that's horrible. When my cat got to the point she needed to be euthanized you better believe I was right there holding her in her passage. I couldn't undertand doing it any other way.

Angela <><
#11 of 24 Old 08-11-2008, 11:49 AM

People. :
#12 of 24 Old 08-11-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_queen_22 View Post
Ugh - that's horrible. When my cat got to the point she needed to be euthanized you better believe I was right there holding her in her passage. I couldn't undertand doing it any other way.

Angela <><
When I've talked to vets about euthanasia, and it does happen often that the owners chose not to be with their pet at that time. Sometimes the owners are too distraught, etc. and a cat/dog will pick up on it and be very upset. The vet I saw for the longest time and had a relationship with said that does happen sometimes, and with some pets/situations it's better not to have the owners there. I think it's a case by case basis depending on the condition of the animal and how the owner thinks they'll handle it. Not that it applies to this case though.

All I can say is, if that animal was suffering (and it sounds like it seriously may have been) I'm glad it's at peace. From what you said, it sounds like maybe they should have had him euthanized long ago if his life quality was so poor. We've got an extended family member who has a dog who is quite elderly and whose quality of life has seriously deteriorated. They're a couple, and they've had the dog for a really long time. One of them can't let go. And, it's difficult to see because the dog is in bad shape...to me past the point that I would have euthanized. But, I'm objective, and it's easy to be when it's not your pet.

And, when you have one that you're so super close to, the pain of even the thought of their loss aches throughout your soul. And, it can be extremely difficult to be objective.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#13 of 24 Old 08-11-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramama View Post
This is making me so angry! They have a really really really old beagle that is really really really over-weight, partially blind, partially deaf, incontinent, and can barely walk. They carry the dog to its food, they carry the dog outside and in. I

I have to say that unless you have actually had a dog in this situation and saying that putting him down is cruel, is being a little selfish and short-sighted. This dog has no quality of life. Do you have any idea what they might have been going through to make this decision? I'm all for animal rights, but you need to look at the situation. This dog was very ill. No amount of medicine or surgery was going to restore his sight, hearing, or relieve him from wetting all over the place. I'll bet his teeth were also in terrible shape. Maybe the dog was becoming mean as well.

We had to put our beloved cat down because he was so sick he began lashing out at everyone and he was dying. Did we really want to put him down? Of course not. He was sick and there was nothing that could be done. We couldn't go near him without him attacking us. He attacked our son, his friends, my husband. We were not allowed to be with our cat when he passed.
#14 of 24 Old 08-11-2008, 03:19 PM

I don't think it's the euthinizing of the dog she is upset about so much as the way they are going about it. The dog will spend it's last days in a cold, scary place full of strangers.

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
#15 of 24 Old 08-11-2008, 10:20 PM

What an awful situation
#16 of 24 Old 08-12-2008, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I try really hard not to judge. Some people just can't bear to be with their dogs or cats when they go. I know a lot of people who have dropped dogs or cats off to be euthanized. It's such a personal thing. And honestly, like phatcristy said, if the owner is so upset, the animal picks up on it and its last minutes will be so stressful.

I just don't like the idea of judging someone on how they say good bye. It's such a personal and individual thing.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#17 of 24 Old 08-12-2008, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirlee View Post
I have to say that unless you have actually had a dog in this situation and saying that putting him down is cruel, is being a little selfish and short-sighted. This dog has no quality of life. Do you have any idea what they might have been going through to make this decision? I'm all for animal rights, but you need to look at the situation. This dog was very ill. No amount of medicine or surgery was going to restore his sight, hearing, or relieve him from wetting all over the place. I'll bet his teeth were also in terrible shape. Maybe the dog was becoming mean as well.

We had to put our beloved cat down because he was so sick he began lashing out at everyone and he was dying. Did we really want to put him down? Of course not. He was sick and there was nothing that could be done. We couldn't go near him without him attacking us. He attacked our son, his friends, my husband. We were not allowed to be with our cat when he passed.
Oh, no! I totally agree with you! We've had to euthanize many a beloved family pet. It's a hard decision to make and heartbreaking to watch. I have actually begged them to get the dog put down. It's heartbreaking to watch him deteriorate and hobble around. They just say that they don't want to spend money on it. I've recommended vets that would work with them on that, but they refused.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom0810 View Post
I try really hard not to judge. Some people just can't bear to be with their dogs or cats when they go. I know a lot of people who have dropped dogs or cats off to be euthanized. It's such a personal thing. And honestly, like phatcristy said, if the owner is so upset, the animal picks up on it and its last minutes will be so stressful.

I just don't like the idea of judging someone on how they say good bye. It's such a personal and individual thing.
I agree with you too. But this is the conversation that went down between them. "I don't have time to take the dog to the pound! You do it!" "It's not my damn dog! You take it!" "I just don't have time." "I didn't move the dog here in the first place [they recently moved to this state]! You should have taken him to the pound before even moving here!" Shouted very loudly from the front lawn.

That's what I'm having a problem with. The unloading of a pet like it isn't a life. Like it hasn't been in their lives for over 13 years, and by all accounts been an amazing pet.

They aren't saying goodbye, they're saying good riddance and that bothers me. If they had just been unable to watch him be put down, that's one thing. It's just not this way in this case.

Anyway, the neighbors are gone and so is the dog.

#18 of 24 Old 08-12-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
That's what I'm having a problem with. The unloading of a pet like it isn't a life. Like it hasn't been in their lives for over 13 years, and by all accounts been an amazing pet.

If the dog was in that bad of shape, it probably was a heavy burden on the family. If it wasn't able to get around, was incontinent, sounds like it was way long past time. Maybe beacause of that they felt like he was a burden and they didn't want to 'deal with him', sigh.

If he was an amazing pet they had for 13 years, it's difficult to imagine that there wasn't a point in time when they loved him. If he had been alive in such horrible condition, then perhaps they felt he was a burden.

I suppose, like some others I hate being judgemental about things. I had a friend who wound up caring for his elderly mother, and he really had a LOT of difficulty with it, and she was like a burden in his life. It's not that he didn't love his mother, but because of her physical/mental condition she was such an emotional and physical drain on him. Sure, he loved his mom and was sad when she eventually passed, but also felt a huge sense of relief.

Hopefully, unlike one of the other posters said where they thought the dog would be kept for days before euthanasia, the shelter took him immediately to be euthanized. I have known a few people who have volunteered at shelters and they said that if a pet is brought in specifically for euthanasia the owner signs them over, they take the dog/cat to a back room and then will even allow the owner to be with/or view shortly afterwards. They worked at the Humane Society...I'm sure they don't all do it the same way, but there are people out there who can't afford to have veterinary euthanasia done, I've heard of people having to pay $200-300 for euthanasia for dogs at the vets office. And, I would think the humane society would rather help than have the animals deteriorate more and suffer as they die or be euthanized in other non-humane ways.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#19 of 24 Old 08-12-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatchristy View Post
If the dog was in that bad of shape, it probably was a heavy burden on the family. If it wasn't able to get around, was incontinent, sounds like it was way long past time. Maybe beacause of that they felt like he was a burden and they didn't want to 'deal with him', sigh.

If he was an amazing pet they had for 13 years, it's difficult to imagine that there wasn't a point in time when they loved him. If he had been alive in such horrible condition, then perhaps they felt he was a burden.

I suppose, like some others I hate being judgemental about things. I had a friend who wound up caring for his elderly mother, and he really had a LOT of difficulty with it, and she was like a burden in his life. It's not that he didn't love his mother, but because of her physical/mental condition she was such an emotional and physical drain on him. Sure, he loved his mom and was sad when she eventually passed, but also felt a huge sense of relief.

Hopefully, unlike one of the other posters said where they thought the dog would be kept for days before euthanasia, the shelter took him immediately to be euthanized. I have known a few people who have volunteered at shelters and they said that if a pet is brought in specifically for euthanasia the owner signs them over, they take the dog/cat to a back room and then will even allow the owner to be with/or view shortly afterwards. They worked at the Humane Society...I'm sure they don't all do it the same way, but there are people out there who can't afford to have veterinary euthanasia done, I've heard of people having to pay $200-300 for euthanasia for dogs at the vets office. And, I would think the humane society would rather help than have the animals deteriorate more and suffer as they die or be euthanized in other non-humane ways.
That is true, usually they are done right away or that evening because the animal shelter simply cannot afford to feed and house an animal that is going to be put down. There are usually limited space and cannot house an unadoptable animal for days, plus they wouldnt want to prolong the suffering.
#20 of 24 Old 08-12-2008, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

BTW, this woman is the same one who beats her children with belts and drags them around by their hair and tried to convince me that I should do the same with my children. She literally told me that I should beat my children and lock them in their rooms all day. My four year old particularly. I really do like that people here want to give these people the benefit of the doubt because it gets me to take a step back and look at the situation again. But in this instance, don't waste your time. This is just the tip of the iceberg.

I'm just annoyed that they are using services that the humane society offers when they can easily afford it on their own (trust me, I know). There are many many many people who need the services that the humane society offers. If people who just don't feel like paying for something that the humane society will do for free keep abusing the services, the humane society will not be as available to the people who truly need assistance.

On a side note, I was once in the humane society looking for a guinea pig to adopt, and there was a father and son in there with their dog. The son was crying and asked why they had to take the dog to the pound. The father said that they couldn't find a kennel on this short notice and that they would just get a new dog when they got back from vacation. WTF?

#21 of 24 Old 08-13-2008, 02:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm surprised that HS around you actually will euth. for *free*...

How much do they charge to surrender a pet (not for PTS but to rehome)...i think the SPCA where i used to live charged like $50. Years and years ago i had rescued a kitten, and it was sick, needing immediate vet care. I had *no* money at that point, literally. I went to the SPCA for help, and they would not help the kitten which was laying there in front of them, without me paying to surrender it. Had i lied to them and said it was a stray, they would have taken it. Luckily i was able to find a vet clinic willing to take it in, but i was really disappointed in the SPCA. I understand they need to make money to fuction, but i dont see how the fees they were charging wouldnt encourage someone to just abandon an animal on the street rather than at least abandoning it to the safety of a shelter.

Katherine

Katherine, single homeschooling mom to Boy Genius (17) geek.gif  Thing One (6) and Thing Two (6) fencing.gif and one outgoing Girl (12) bikenew.gif and hoping for more through foster care and adoption homebirth.jpgadoptionheart-1.gif 
#22 of 24 Old 08-13-2008, 03:17 AM - Thread Starter

There are ways to get around the humane society rules, for sure. For our location, if you say "I want to have my dog euthanized" they will charge a reduced fee. If you say "I want to relinquish my dog" (even though he will definitely be euthanized, in this case) they charge $25 to take a dog. If you say "I found this dog" they will not charge anything.

I'm sorry that you had that experience, queenjane. Really, it would make more sense for them to give vet care to the kitten and release it to you, than to render the care anyway and have to house and feed it until a home is found. That makes no sense. But again, if people only came to the shelter for help when they really really needed it, then they would be able to relax their rules, KWIM? But sadly, they are taken advantage of and then they can't trust those who really need the care to actually be in need. It's all a circle.

#23 of 24 Old 08-13-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
There are ways to get around the humane society rules, for sure. For our location, if you say "I want to have my dog euthanized" they will charge a reduced fee. If you say "I want to relinquish my dog" (even though he will definitely be euthanized, in this case) they charge $25 to take a dog. If you say "I found this dog" they will not charge anything.

I'm sorry that you had that experience, queenjane. Really, it would make more sense for them to give vet care to the kitten and release it to you, than to render the care anyway and have to house and feed it until a home is found. That makes no sense. But again, if people only came to the shelter for help when they really really needed it, then they would be able to relax their rules, KWIM? But sadly, they are taken advantage of and then they can't trust those who really need the care to actually be in need. It's all a circle.

The people I know told me that the humane society here only asks for a 'donation' for euthanasia.

When I was done with breeding, I had about two garbage bagfulls of 'cat towels' as I called them, and a few extra carriers (they weren't my favorite carriers...they were the ones that had those little screw on attatchments which were always getting lost!). I had called them and they said they were thrilled to have them so I brought them down (they're not too far away and gas was cheap back then). I was waiting around for a receipt when someone came in with two dogs to drop off. They basically filled out a form, dropped them off and left. They may be different now, I think they were a kill shelter back then. Now they're no kill. They focus heavily on spay/neuter programs and have a clinic, and now a behavioral program.

I have another friend who used to work with St. Francis rescue over with Petco...I actually called them and asked if they wanted my supplies, but nobody ever returned my calls.

#24 of 24 Old 08-13-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
BTW, this woman is the same one who beats her children with belts and drags them around by their hair and tried to convince me that I should do the same with my children.
It's safe to assume that you've called CPS, yes?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page