need to find a home for 7 puppies! help! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 78 Old 08-13-2008, 11:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can the OP post a picture of the puppies? Maybe we can find an honest but attractive description.

I have NO issue with rotts in families; I love them.

And I would say that no, immediate spaying is not always the right answer. Ginny's not spayed yet--it took me months to get her well enough to tolerate surgery and then she went into heat. She will be in anestrous again in about a month, which will be six or seven months after we adopted her. Supervision is the answer, but right now beating up the OP for lack of supervision does no one any good.
#62 of 78 Old 08-14-2008, 12:05 AM

Where I live, if you can put up a cute description and an appealing picture on petfinder, you can place a 12wk old puppy. If I read correctly, the OP will be passing through my part of the country. If the OP is willing to transport, she might have more potential adopters.

to the OP. I imagine the pressure of placing the puppies in a short time frame while also preparing to move is a huge burden.

homeschool.gif mom to dd (11) read.gifand dd (9) crochetsmilie.gif and ds (3) bikenew.gif and  dog2.gif(x2)
#63 of 78 Old 08-14-2008, 12:25 AM

There is some namecalling and casting of suspicion in this thread. I don't have time to pick out specific members and remove posts and PM members.

I am giving you all 24 hours to please edit your posts.

We have a difficult situation and a member working hard to remedy it with the help of other members. Please remember that you agree to provide a comfortable and polite atmosphere here at MDC by joining our community.

Please edit any posts which are snarky and not effective in assisting in this situation.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#64 of 78 Old 08-14-2008, 01:27 AM

The black and white ones are not Rotty crosses. A purebred Lab crossed with a purebred Rottweiler can not produce a black and white puppy. Do you mean black and white like a cow? Like a Boston Terrier type pattern? Or pure black with white toes?

So it is not untruthful, but is factual, not to call them Rott mixes.
#65 of 78 Old 08-14-2008, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter

I never said they were purebreds. they are definite mutts.

one is definitely white and black with the rottie brown tips on her eyes.

the other 2 are very light brownish like off white color. they looked white when they were born now getting darker. (the dad is reddish brown so not sure if they will get that dark)

then theres a pure black one

1 that looks like a rottie no mistake
then another who is rottie colored but is somewhat freakish looking

the last black one we are keeping (I am actually bringing it to my parents ) he is black with white tipped feet.

both my adult rotties have white spots on their chests (they are both mixes) so it's not possible to pass that on? they are not purebreds though in the least.

the mom is definitely a mix. the dad I have no clue. I say lab mix , but who knows, he is a stray. (A stray I have been trying to catch for 4 months, he just always runs) I know he's the dad though as one of the pups looks just like him.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#66 of 78 Old 08-14-2008, 02:06 AM

Each and every puppy in a litter can have a different father.

When you said lab/rott mixes I thought that was what you meant, sorry.

If they are not purebred, they are not rotties. I have a dog who I know is half Akbash, but I would never call him 'an Akbash Dog'.

My last dog was 100% positively from a purebred Boxer mother and a purebred Golden Retriever father. Again, not a Boxer, nor a Golden Retriever.

If the mother and the father are indeterminate mixes, then just call them "cute medium sized puppies" or something, it is the truth. Maybe you'll have better luck with rescues or potential adopters that way?
#67 of 78 Old 08-14-2008, 02:19 AM

I got a response, I'm posting part of it in the hopes maybe someone may be able to help, or knows of someone who can help with transport (I hope this is OK, I'll edit if it isn't).

Quote:
Last I hear the humane society in Phx is taking puppies. I don't know if that is current, and I don't know if they'll take puppies half rotty. If they will take them at either location in Phx, that is a real option for her. Also last I heard Flagstaff HS was taking puppies.
Now, I KNOW that neither are close to you. But call them anyway! They may know of someone to contact for transportation. Or they may know of someone who is closer to you who is taking puppies (many shelters swap dogs according to who is getting adopted, etc).

Follow all leads. Even if you think it's a long shot, call!

The numbers..

Flagstaff...

(928) 526-1076

Pheonix (there's two it seems)..

(602) 997-7586

(623) 492-9045

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
#68 of 78 Old 08-14-2008, 02:26 AM

There is a chance of getting them into a no-kill shelter in Tucson. It's a CHANCE only. The shelter director laughed at me when I asked her about it earlier today, but I spoke with a colleague and she's going to make a plea to the director tomorrow. I know they're pretty burned out on puppies right now.
#69 of 78 Old 08-14-2008, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post
both my adult rotties have white spots on their chests (they are both mixes)
I'm confused about the breeds now too. Am I reading correctly in that both of your rotty mixes are the parents, which I guess makes them rotty/labs? So two rotty/labs bred together?

Or was on parent a rotty mix (unknown mix? what other breed?) that bred to a stray lab? Just so I get this straight when I repeat it.

#70 of 78 Old 08-14-2008, 02:51 AM

I'm reading that there are 2 possibly related, possibly part-rott dogs which the op owns. There is also a male, stray, unrelated dog who appears to be possibly part rott. One or both of the OP's dogs had puppies, some of which may be sired by the stray.

I think?
#71 of 78 Old 08-14-2008, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

no I have 2 adult rottie mixes (they are both girls-1 is the mom, the other is fixed)

the dad is a mangy looking brown lab mix or something?

if anyone wants photos of the parents PM me your email and I can send them. I have some pics of the pups but my camera is broke. I'll see if they will upload though..

#72 of 78 Old 08-14-2008, 12:56 PM

Okay, so what you really have is a litter of mixed-breed pups, yes?

Photos would really help, though I understand the frustration of having a nonfunctional camera!

Any luck with the shelters and rescues North posted?
#73 of 78 Old 08-14-2008, 06:13 PM

Any updates? Did you call the two shelters that were possibly taking puppies?

#74 of 78 Old 08-15-2008, 02:33 AM

Anything? I'm reluctant to follow up with the emails I sent if I'm not going to hear back from you. Just drop me a line. PM me if needed.

#75 of 78 Old 08-15-2008, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9rider View Post
OT but I think having an intact dog is completely okay and reasonable as long as you're responsible about it and don't let it roam or leave it outside unprotected. There are many health benefits for keeping males intact actually. Not so true for females, but definitely if you can be responsible and ensure that your dog will never be in a situation where it could be bred then it's certainly healthier to keep a male intact for life and a female intact through at least its first heat.

For the OP, I completely agree with the posters regarding it being your responsibility to follow through with these pups and find them a good home. It may be more work on your part, but honestly it's the best option. I cringed when I read that you were going to take them to Walmart--do you know how many people there are out there who will take your puppy and use it as bait for a dog fighting ring or sell it to research? These things happen more than you would think and what a horrible demise for any puppy that you brought into this world. So, unless you find a rescue group or are willing to have them put down then you must screen the families--ask for references and check them, do a home visit, and ask for a nominal amount of money (ie $50-$100) to weed out the hoarders and those out to get free puppies to use for fighting. I know it's hard, but it is your responsibility and you owe it to these boys to do right by them.
I completely disagree, and given the number of unwanted animals being put to death in shelters, I'd say that the vast, vast, VAST majority of pet owners are not able to supervise their animals 100% of the time. I would say that any health risks possible from being neutered or spayed are outweighed by the obvious health risk of being euthanised because there is no home for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengingophelia View Post
I know that is good advice, as far as keeping these puppies alive and out of bad hands. But gah, as a rescuer, that burns me. We get SO many "you have to take this dog or we're going to put it down" calls. And being expected to always be able to drop everything, drive for hours, and clean up someone else's mess gets really really old.
I know. I'm sorry. I just don't know what else to do and I DO think the OP has many options. I know there are places that will at least help. I can't imagine calling a rescue and saying you have a bunch of puppies you cannot place and having them turn a cold shoulder to you. I think *at the very least* they'd have some words of wisdom and advice.

Thanks to all of you who work with rescues for doing what you do, and for posting here about it.
#76 of 78 Old 08-15-2008, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

yep still working on it. no I haven't found a home for any of the pups though as of yet.

I DO appreciate everyones help and all the numbers posted! I am following all leads possible here.

but honestly this thread leaves a bad taste in my mouth so I will not be posting again.

if anyones interested in a puppy in my area please PM me. please DO NOT PM me if you are going to be nasty. your PM WILL be deleted. I've had enough of being degraded and insulted here. the fact is I am TRYING to find homes for the puppies. I am stressed out and I really don't need to be reprimanded by strangers too.

#77 of 78 Old 08-15-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettypixels View Post
I completely disagree, and given the number of unwanted animals being put to death in shelters, I'd say that the vast, vast, VAST majority of pet owners are not able to supervise their animals 100% of the time. I would say that any health risks possible from being neutered or spayed are outweighed by the obvious health risk of being euthanised because there is no home for you.
Well I certainly don't want anyone pressuring me to neuter my dog because others are irresponsible! I am and would be 100% responsible for my intact dog and I'm not willing to sacrifice his or her health because others let their intact dogs roam. Sorry, but my intact dog does not and will never add to a shelter population. I also rescue/foster and I live in a very high kill state (NC) so I know what a problem there is with homeless pets, but I still don't agree with forced speuter based on others irresponsibility. Most of the dogs in the shelters are not there as puppies, they are there as adolescent or older dogs that someone decided they didn't want anymore
#78 of 78 Old 08-15-2008, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post
but honestly this thread leaves a bad taste in my mouth so I will not be posting again.

if anyones interested in a puppy in my area please PM me. please DO NOT PM me if you are going to be nasty. your PM WILL be deleted. I've had enough of being degraded and insulted here. the fact is I am TRYING to find homes for the puppies. I am stressed out and I really don't need to be reprimanded by strangers too.
I just read the whole thread and I really didn't see where anyone was degrading or insulting you. I think you are taking this a bit personally. If you come asking for help on a forum where so many people do animal rescue and expect to get advice after getting into a situation like yours without getting some lectures mixed in, then you just aren't being very realistic. If it were me, I'd expect to be served a big ol' ration of criticism, and I'd either eat my humble pie if I felt like I deserved it, or let it roll right off my back without getting defensive if I felt I didn't.

The animal rescuers here don't know if you are a generally responsible pet owner who only made a mistake, or if you unintentionally suck as a pet owner (and I am not saying that you do!), or how much you know about what happens to unwanted animals, or any of that. But they're going to feel like it's their duty to make sure you know what you need to know, even if it's a little after the fact, you know?

Anyway, take what you need and don't let the rest bother you so much. I can tell you are trying to do the best in the situation you are in. Good luck getting homes for those puppies. One of the best dogs we ever had growing up was a rott/german shepard mix (she also thought she was a lap dog, lol!), and I'd get another in a heartbeat if our landlord allowed us to have dogs.

Serendipity

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page