need to find a home for 7 puppies! help! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 78 Old 08-13-2008, 04:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
is there something I am not thinking of? so far I've posted ads on craigslit (and here), fliers, called the humane society (they are full up), asked friends,etc. they are ALL boys and no none wants boy dogs...ugh. I have 2 weeks to get rid of them as I am leaving the state) my next step is go sit on the corner in town at the walmart..

I don't want them to end up at the pound, but it's looking that way more and more everyday

I have already committed to keeping one. but I already have 2 other dogs and a stray here too! I am going slowly broke on dog food!

I could have gotten rid of at least 2 if they were females but no one wants males. I feel so bad. (this was a sort of surprise litter)

ugh. help! ideas?

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#2 of 78 Old 08-13-2008, 05:18 AM

Are these the cocker spaniels that you rescued from an irresponsible friend?

Nobody wants a cocker spaniel? I do!

Why doesn't anyone want a male dog? I have my reasons for preferring female dogs, but mine is male anyway, as was my last dog. In each case, I had been hoping that the one that I would choose from the litter (I got first pick both times) would be a female, but in each case the dog that was right for me happened to be male.
#3 of 78 Old 08-13-2008, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

um no, that's not me. they are pups my own dog had.

they are rottwielers and lab mixes (only 2 look like rotties, the rest are white and black.

#4 of 78 Old 08-13-2008, 10:58 AM

Do you have a local Rott rescue? You might try them.
#5 of 78 Old 08-13-2008, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

would they help if they aren't full rotties? I will look. thanks. even if they would take 2, I'd be happy!

the only other thing I can think of is just showing up at the humane society with them. Ihave called a couple times, first the lady questioned me on what kind of dogs they were before she said no. but she also told me not to take them to the pound or they'd be killed (duh) our pound is so full that they put them to sleep the same day too

#6 of 78 Old 08-13-2008, 11:13 AM

I hope you can get in contact with a rescue group. Did you get your dog spayed so this doesn't happen again? There are lots of low cost spay programs in the US. That will keep this from happening again at least.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#7 of 78 Old 08-13-2008, 11:15 AM

You might try calling some area churches and offer them--you'd be surprised by how much stuff can change hands quickly and easily in a congregation.

Are you getting your dog fixed?
#8 of 78 Old 08-13-2008, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

yes!!! that is next! (and the dad too who is a stray who hangs around) for now she is in the house/backyard.

#9 of 78 Old 08-13-2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post
yes!!! that is next! (and the dad too who is a stray who hangs around) for now she is in the house/backyard.
#10 of 78 Old 08-13-2008, 11:18 AM

Depending on the rescue, they might take mixed breeds. Probably the Rott rescue is more likely to take them than a Lab rescue, though.
#11 of 78 Old 08-13-2008, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Both of our local Rott and Lab rescues will take mixes. Most of them will. I have seen some that don't look ANYThing like the breed they are supposed to be in breed rescue. If they have the space, they'll usually take them. And puppies are super easy to place.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#12 of 78 Old 08-13-2008, 11:56 AM

Why would people only want females? So they can breed them? When we picked Finn, dh insisted we get a male. Apparently the estrogen in female urine kills the grass. Plus with me and three dds, I think dh felt there was enough estrogen in our house already.

OP, I hope you are able to find homes or a rescue that will take these puppies ASAP.
#13 of 78 Old 08-13-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyswenn View Post
Why would people only want females? So they can breed them? When we picked Finn, dh insisted we get a male. Apparently the estrogen in female urine kills the grass. Plus with me and three dds, I think dh felt there was enough estrogen in our house already.

OP, I hope you are able to find homes or a rescue that will take these puppies ASAP.
Yeah, I would think that they would want boys first because they're cheaper to neuter....hmmm?

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#14 of 78 Old 08-13-2008, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

probably because boy dog pee on things?
that's the only thing I can think of!

I looked for a rottie rescue. the closest one is 3 hours away. I did find a lab rescue. am off to email them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyswenn View Post

#15 of 78 Old 08-13-2008, 01:11 PM

Sometimes shelters are willing to help find homes for dogs even if they don't have space for them. Did you ask the humane people if they could help you with that even if you continued to foster the pups?

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
#16 of 78 Old 08-13-2008, 01:13 PM

You might also check with vets--our vets run a cat foster/rescue program (their practice is specific to cats).
#17 of 78 Old 08-13-2008, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

no they said they were out of resources at this point and overfull. I cannot foster these dogs longer than 2 more weeks as I am leaving the state for 2-3 months (Already postponed my trip, though not due to the dogs). they are already too much for me as it is but they are outside in a kennel, so it's ok for now.. but I can't possibly pay for someone to care for them while I'm gone. as it is I have 2 goats and 2 dogs and a stray to worry about while I'm away...and getting the mom/dad fixed too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiannon Feimorgan View Post
Sometimes shelters are willing to help find homes for dogs even if they don't have space for them. Did you ask the humane people if they could help you with that even if you continued to foster the pups?

#18 of 78 Old 08-13-2008, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
You might also check with vets--our vets run a cat foster/rescue program (their practice is specific to cats).
thanks I'll check!

lets hope I have luck at the walmart! :

#19 of 78 Old 08-13-2008, 02:04 PM

Good luck! I've found that my male pets are WAY more lovable & cuddly!
#20 of 78 Old 08-13-2008, 02:06 PM

I think people often want female dogs b/c they think males will be more aggressive.
#21 of 78 Old 08-13-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengingophelia View Post
I think people often want female dogs b/c they think males will be more aggressive.
That makes sense, especially since these are rottie mixes.

My in-laws had a purebred rottie female. She was the most loving, gentle dog. She would play tug-of-war with dh and drag him all over the yard, but when dd (who was 4 or 5) was on the other end of the toy, Mollie (the dog, not the dd ) would barely even pull.

She also thought she was a lap dog, which was quite humorous.
#22 of 78 Old 08-13-2008, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Just a word of caution: unspayed females should never be allowed unsupervised in the yard. One leash, or inside, especially when they're in heat. Male dogs can come from miles around, and will be resourceful in terms of getting to the female - climbing/jumping fences, digging under fences, chewing through fences.

And as for the female herself, she too can be desperate to get bred when the time is right, and even if you think she will listen or is an obedient dog, when she is wanting to be bred she will walk right past you if she thinks there is a male waiting for her. So even if you're "right there", I would not let her off leash outside of your house until she is fixed.

That said, the puppies you have are a dime a dozen in shelters and it comes as no surprise to me that no one wants them, even as puppies. That breed combo pretty much makes up the majority of shelter dog populations, and no shelter who is already at capacity is going to willingly take on more when they are struggling to find homes for the ones they already have. You basically have two options - be responsible for the puppies and find them good homes no matter how long it takes, or surrender them anonymously by either leaving them in a crate in the wee hours of the morning or putting them in the night drop kennels if your shelter has one (usually your county animal control will have that option, not the humane society).

But I have to be honest, I think the latter is a really poor choice in terms of what's best for the pups. You have the advantage now of screening the homes and making sure they get adopted out to good people. I know people who have cruised the AC's night drop kennels looking for pups and dogs because they either can't afford to adopt, or would not be approved otherwise, so you are taking a risk by doing that. And sadly, those dogs and puppies are the ones that get used as bate in fighting rings. They often have no chips or tags or other means of identifying them, and the people acquiring them don't have to be on file with the county. So surrendering the pups anonymously is a HUGE risk. And if that's the only feasible option for you, I would seriously think about having the pups humanely euthanized.

Going to walmart and giving away free puppies just to have them gone is not going to be better for them in long run then ensuring they can never suffer pain and neglect by humanely euthanizing them. As a breeder, either intentionally or unintentionally, you have a responsibility to these dogs for their entire lives. If you can't meet those responsibilities or find a person/organization who will do it for you, then it's time to think of other humane options. I'm not of the belief that finding any home for a dog, even if given away for free at walmart, is better then being humanely euthanized. I know that will make me unpopular, but I've seen the life dogs live when they are handed out like free balloons. They often end up in the shelter eventually, having been through 3 or 4 irresponsible homes, and are so chalked full of problems and bad habits that they become even harder to adopt. They either sit there and take up space in a no kill shelter preventing other adoptable dogs from being taken in (thus decreasing turn over) or they eventually get humanely euthanized anyway. The chances of these puppies finding good responsible homes from being given away at walmart is very, very slim. They will get snatched up by people who think they're cute and are totally ill prepared for a puppy. Those homes are usually not forever homes.

As a long time shelter/rescue volunteer, I just KNOW the fate of these puppies will be poor if they are not responsibly adopted out by you personally. I also want you to know that the honorable thing to do is not necessarily to just give them away and get rid of them. You do have other options that in the long run will be better off for the dogs, and any dog professional will understand that.

Ans just a word of advice for dealing with the shelters (either county or private), is go in and talk to them in person. Take the puppies with you. Ask to speak with the actual adoption coordinator. Seldom is anything dealt with over the phone, they simply don't have time to deal with all the "what'-ifs" that call. So many people don't show up after committing to bringing dogs in, that it's just too much of a waste of time to prepare for new arrivals after talking to strangers over the phone. You have a much better chance at surrendering them if you go in person.

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
#23 of 78 Old 08-13-2008, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
North, you said a mouthful, and I applaud you for acting as an advocate for these puppies.

I'll come and sit by you on the unpopular bench.

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

#24 of 78 Old 08-13-2008, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

I get what your saying,but the reality is they need to be gone in 2 weeks. I am doing everything I can but I will be unable to care for them after that. So the pound will be the only option at that point.. Maybe I will call back and lie about the breed to the humane society (only 3 look like rotties) I am keeping one of the puppies too..(it is going with us out of state) I don't know about any more though!

if anyone is in albaqurque/tulsa/indanapolis,/rochester areas and wants a free puppy PM me!

I think you get fined for dumping animals here (even at the humane society) I don't think we have drop boxes but I'll check.

as for the mom, I totally know all about the boy dogs...ugh..she has not gone into heat yet thankfully but she needs to get fixed ASAP. hoping my vet will do a 2 for 1 deal...(he does that sometimes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Of_60 View Post
Just a word of caution: unspayed females should never be allowed unsupervised in the yard. One leash, or inside, especially when they're in heat. Male dogs can come from miles around, and will be resourceful in terms of getting to the female - climbing/jumping fences, digging under fences, chewing through fences.

And as for the female herself, she too can be desperate to get bred when the time is right, and even if you think she will listen or is an obedient dog, when she is wanting to be bred she will walk right past you if she thinks there is a male waiting for her. So even if you're "right there", I would not let her off leash outside of your house until she is fixed.

That said, the puppies you have are a dime a dozen in shelters and it comes as no surprise to me that no one wants them, even as puppies. That breed combo pretty much makes up the majority of shelter dog populations, and no shelter who is already at capacity is going to willingly take on more when they are struggling to find homes for the ones they already have. You basically have two options - be responsible for the puppies and find them good homes no matter how long it takes, or surrender them anonymously by either leaving them in a crate in the wee hours of the morning or putting them in the night drop kennels if your shelter has one (usually your county animal control will have that option, not the humane society).

But I have to be honest, I think the latter is a really poor choice in terms of what's best for the pups. You have the advantage now of screening the homes and making sure they get adopted out to good people. I know people who have cruised the AC's night drop kennels looking for pups and dogs because they either can't afford to adopt, or would not be approved otherwise, so you are taking a risk by doing that. And sadly, those dogs and puppies are the ones that get used as bate in fighting rings. They often have no chips or tags or other means of identifying them, and the people acquiring them don't have to be on file with the county. So surrendering the pups anonymously is a HUGE risk. And if that's the only feasible option for you, I would seriously think about having the pups humanely euthanized.

Going to walmart and giving away free puppies just to have them gone is not going to be better for them in long run then ensuring they can never suffer pain and neglect by humanely euthanizing them. As a breeder, either intentionally or unintentionally, you have a responsibility to these dogs for their entire lives. If you can't meet those responsibilities or find a person/organization who will do it for you, then it's time to think of other humane options. I'm not of the belief that finding any home for a dog, even if given away for free at walmart, is better then being humanely euthanized. I know that will make me unpopular, but I've seen the life dogs live when they are handed out like free balloons. They often end up in the shelter eventually, having been through 3 or 4 irresponsible homes, and are so chalked full of problems and bad habits that they become even harder to adopt. They either sit there and take up space in a no kill shelter preventing other adoptable dogs from being taken in (thus decreasing turn over) or they eventually get humanely euthanized anyway. The chances of these puppies finding good responsible homes from being given away at walmart is very, very slim. They will get snatched up by people who think they're cute and are totally ill prepared for a puppy. Those homes are usually not forever homes.

As a long time shelter/rescue volunteer, I just KNOW the fate of these puppies will be poor if they are not responsibly adopted out by you personally. I also want you to know that the honorable thing to do is not necessarily to just give them away and get rid of them. You do have other options that in the long run will be better off for the dogs, and any dog professional will understand that.

Ans just a word of advice for dealing with the shelters (either county or private), is go in and talk to them in person. Take the puppies with you. Ask to speak with the actual adoption coordinator. Seldom is anything dealt with over the phone, they simply don't have time to deal with all the "what'-ifs" that call. So many people don't show up after committing to bringing dogs in, that it's just too much of a waste of time to prepare for new arrivals after talking to strangers over the phone. You have a much better chance at surrendering them if you go in person.

#25 of 78 Old 08-13-2008, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

btw I didn't come to this thread for a lecture. the fact is the puppies are here. I have been trying since ealry, JUNE to find homes for them and am leaving in 2 weeks. at this point I am thinking euthansia is the humane choice I have spoke with the pound 3 times about it in fact, but I will continue to try to find homes until I have no choice but to surrender them. yes and even at the walmart. (I will be selective as best as I can, if it matters). I feel awful for them everyday knowing their days are probably numbered.

#26 of 78 Old 08-13-2008, 04:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
um no, that's not me. they are pups my own dog had.

they are rottwielers and lab mixes (only 2 look like rotties, the rest are white and black.
these dogs are your responsiblity. get out there and find good homes for these pups.
#27 of 78 Old 08-13-2008, 04:29 PM

Given this situation, I think you've been lectured fairly minimally on this thread.
#28 of 78 Old 08-13-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
btw I didn't come to this thread for a lecture.
Well, you asked for input and that's what you got. Take what works for you, leave the rest, and hopefully someone who needs to read this thread BEFORE there are puppies will benefit from the wisdom others have shared here.
#29 of 78 Old 08-13-2008, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegiemum View Post
these dogs are your responsiblity. get out there and find good homes for these pups.
did you even read the thread?

#30 of 78 Old 08-13-2008, 04:38 PM

Quote:
btw I didn't come to this thread for a lecture. the fact is the puppies are here. I have been trying since ealry, JUNE to find homes for them and am leaving in 2 weeks. at this point I am thinking euthansia is the humane choice I have spoke with the pound 3 times about it in fact, but I will continue to try to find homes until I have no choice but to surrender them. yes and even at the walmart. (I will be selective as best as I can, if it matters). I feel awful for them everyday knowing their days are probably numbered.
I'm not trying to lecture you, nor do I think my post was worded that way. Clearly you are sensitive to this issue. My only goal is to help those puppies, not belittle you. You said you wanted help, and I spent 25 minutes typing out some information that had not yet been shared in this thread that I thought would help you AND the puppies.

Like I said, don't CALL the humane society. Take the puppies down there and talk to them in person. That always works better then calling. Do you know how many people call everyday in comparison to how many actually show up?

As for the adds you've placed on Craigslist, or rescues you've contacted.. what did the adds say? What rescues have you contacted. What city are you in? I will be happy to contact people on your behalf, I know some people in lab rescue (though not in your area by the sounds of it, but I can try). Maybe we can tweak the adds or something.

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page