Anyone know about ear taping? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-28-2008, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know our new pup Heidi is a mixed breed dog (boston terrier), and I'm not usually one for cosmetic-y stuff for dogs...that said, I've been thinking about taping her ears to acheive "uppies" instead of the floppy tips she has now. I don't think the ears are going to go up on their own, no signs of it at all. I'm thinking about it partially because of the hygeine factor (we're used to dogs with prick ears and like that they're less prone to infection) and also because truthfully I the look of prick ears on bostons.

Any advice, suggestions, thoughts? Note: I'm NOT talking about surgical cropping, just taping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 08-28-2008, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm no expert - not by a long shot! - but because Heidi is a mix, her ears might not be capable of staying up (depending on what her other parent was).

I have a Corgi, and I know some pups need their ears taped. But MOST Corgi ears stay up on their own - that's the way they are meant to be.

Taping might work for Heidi, if her ears are meant to be up, but it might not. I don't think it can hurt to try. I'm sure there are plenty of articles on-line.

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

#3 of 11 Old 08-28-2008, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lots. I wouldn't do it for a pet, not in a million years. It hurts, they hate it, and if ears aren't meant to stand, they usually fall after taping, anyway. It's a lot of work for nothing, imho.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#4 of 11 Old 08-28-2008, 01:15 PM

Sure. I've done it on a lot of dogs. I would never "post" (which means you're taping the ears around a support) a pet dog's ears. It's very nasty for them and they can become ear-shy and get infections, etc. It's one of the reasons we totally refused to crop, or have anyone else crop, our Dane puppies. But you can do some very gentle things that may work for a puppy who just needs a little help. If you can post pictures of her head and ears when she is very still, not playing, both looking at the camera and looking away, we can give you a better idea if it's something you can try. It won't work, for example, if the break is too far down on the ear, or if she habitually folds her ears back into a rose and only rarely sticks them up, etc. My personal feeling is that any more than a single piece of tape and/or a breathe-right strip is unacceptable for a pet puppy, so I will be honest with you if I think they won't stand very quickly and easily with minimal work.
#5 of 11 Old 08-28-2008, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

I was looking at this technique, it seems minimally invasive:

http://www.boston-terriers.com/ears.htm
How To Tape Natural Ears So They Stand
Updated 2008
(starts about one mouse scroll down the page.)

She's only 12 weeks old and I've read that by 16-18 weeks you should have a good idea of whether a boston's ears will stand or not.

Are these pictures helpful at all?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3204/...9d1859ace7.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3120/...3b3aa5be_b.jpg
#6 of 11 Old 08-28-2008, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Eewww, I went too far and saw the pictures of the Boston's with cropped ears. Ick.

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

#7 of 11 Old 08-28-2008, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, don't look that far. Ew is right.:Puke That's not something I would even remotely consider. I don't think they even look very nice afterwards, I like the big bat ears.
#8 of 11 Old 08-28-2008, 02:53 PM

I love those half-flippy ears. They're the most expressive kind, IMO.
#9 of 11 Old 08-28-2008, 04:29 PM

I suspect that those ears are not going to go up. Ears that can stand just with a single piece of tape have strong bases and just the ends fall over. Like this: http://www.bthaven.org/assets/cards/...ith-earslg.jpg

Her ears break right at the base. She looks to me like a Pug-Boston Terrier, which are very popular around me right now. Never seen one with ears that stand.

You can try the single piece of tape inside the ear, but I suspect they're going to pull the tape right over. Please don't, for her comfort, do any more than that.
#10 of 11 Old 08-28-2008, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

I certainly don't want to hurt or stress her out. I'll wait another month or so and see how the ears do on their own, and maybe try the tape once to see if they'll stand. If not, I'll leave them alone. I don't MIND the flop ears, but she looks so darn AMAZING with those ears up!
Thanks for the help.
#11 of 11 Old 08-28-2008, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd_deadhead View Post
Eewww, I went too far and saw the pictures of the Boston's with cropped ears. Ick.
Yeah, I went that far, too.
Quote:
Photos showing an uncropped dog (left) and the same dog after cropping (right). Look at how much more special she looks now. She has an air of maturity and sophistication that can only be achieved with a cropped ear (and a good dog!)
:Puke Actually, that "same dog" looks freaky and kinda scary now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabemoms View Post
I certainly don't want to hurt or stress her out. I'll wait another month or so and see how the ears do on their own, and maybe try the tape once to see if they'll stand. If not, I'll leave them alone. I don't MIND the flop ears, but she looks so darn AMAZING with those ears up!
Thanks for the help.
I bet she does look amazing with her ears up! She's a cutie. But she also looks absolutely adorable with them floppy. She's precious.

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page