Frontline is not working, what else? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 09-01-2008, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have faithfully dabbed on the Frontline every 3-5 weeks, I think our fleas are getting resistant. Dusti has some fleas, they tend to hide on her belly and hindquarters furthest from the Frontline application. Seems like she's getting itchier. The cats also have a few fleas, mostly under their chin but I think they may just pick up a few.

I am seriously starting to doubt the effectiveness of drop-on-the-neck flea medicines on a double-coated, long hair dog. It just doesn't seem to work. I last weighed her at 57lbs and we are using the purple kind which is up to 85lbs I believe, so it's not under-dosing. What else would you suggest? Sprays? Powders? I like Frontline because the application is super easy, but if it doesnt work then it doesn't work.
#2 of 23 Old 09-01-2008, 11:04 PM

We have two double coated American Eskimos. We were using frontline for the first four years and now have swtiched to Vectra and had better results.

Tricia, married to DH. 2MC's & 4 yrs ttc...finally mom to Andrew6/06 and Benjamin 10/09. Adopted bro & sis 2002. My 2 fav. words: Spay and Neuter! I'm an Ultimate Viewer, 2010!

#3 of 23 Old 09-01-2008, 11:06 PM

I've always had the drug reps claim that resistance doesn't happen, but the dermatologists I've talked to disagree. One option recommended is to alternate Frontline and Advantage monthly to try to prevent that. You could also switch to something like Capstar or Program. I tend to believe that Revolution is overkill if your only problem is fleas.

I rarely see fleas now where I live (but ticks are the bane of my existence) so someone else may have more suggestions for you.
#4 of 23 Old 09-01-2008, 11:10 PM

I think all fleas are getting resistant. Last year we had this problem. I used the more natural drops, then frontline, then another brand from petco, still no success. Powders, do it yourself sprays, and then we finally had to have the house and yard sprayed professionally 3 or 4 times before the problem finally went away. This year frontline works on all but one dog. We bathed him everyday for a week and then put more frontline on (I will admit I put on a bit more than his weight, not the whole thing though), it seems to have worked this time. Good Luck

BTW everyone I talked to last year around here had the same problem.

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

#5 of 23 Old 09-01-2008, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Vectra sounds good, where do you get it? I didn't see it on google, the site I read about it didn't have it for sale but it had good reviews.

The neighbors dogs and cats moved out today, and I think they did minimal flea prevention, so maybe part of the problem has solved itself.
#6 of 23 Old 09-02-2008, 09:06 AM

I have never thought about the bugs developing resistance. Wow, that's pretty scary. I really don't like to use chemicals like that on any living creatures in my house, so I have not used it. We've had success with natural remedies. Not the natural sprays you find at the pet store, but just researching other ways of dealing with fleas, and it works for us.

These are things we need to think about when considering the judicious use of chemicals and pesticides. I would google and try out some other remedies. It can't hurt to try.

Good luck!
#7 of 23 Old 09-02-2008, 09:23 AM

We get vectra from the vet. It's a little cheaper than the frontline.

Tricia, married to DH. 2MC's & 4 yrs ttc...finally mom to Andrew6/06 and Benjamin 10/09. Adopted bro & sis 2002. My 2 fav. words: Spay and Neuter! I'm an Ultimate Viewer, 2010!

#8 of 23 Old 09-02-2008, 09:33 AM

Are you treating the dog and the cats with the full reccommended dose?

That would be my first thought. We're in a high flea area and amongst all the breeders I know there doesn't seem to be a problem with any sort of resistance.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#9 of 23 Old 09-02-2008, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've never heard of resistance. I would wonder the same as Phatchristy... are you using the entire capsule every time? 3-5 weeks sounds like a LOT to me. I only treat for fleas with Frontline ONCE a year.

Also, the aspect you brought up about your dog's coat makes me wonder... is the dog groomed well enough that you can get the medicine down to its SKIN? The Frontline has to touch the skin... not hair. If you have dogs with a lot of coat, are you line brushing and COMBING them often enough so that you can see skin? That is very necessary.

It's certainly possible that the fleas are resistant, I suppose. But the grooming question and using the full dose are things that I would wonder about.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#10 of 23 Old 09-02-2008, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

I friggin shaved her last spring and I'm applying where the hair is still short, and I still can't see much skin, the undercoat is THAT thick. I put the frontline as close to the skin as possible and it seems to soak in. Yes I use the whole purple tube that is recomended up to 85lbs for an approx 60lb dog. I really dont think I should up the treatment to a full 100lb doseage on a 60lb dog. I brush her every day or two, I have a long tooth comb and a pin-type brush that I use.

August 15 I gave her a bath because she had an accident in her crate (never could tell what gave her the runs that day), 4 days later so the coat has some oil back in it I apply Frontline, by Aug 25th I pulled 2 live fleas off of her. Can you see why I'm treating her sometimes less than a month apart???

I used the cat frontline, most recently because that's what the vet had at the time. I treated them the same week as the dog. It is much different than the dog kind, if I remember correctly it was just IGR to "break the life cycle" it didn't actually kill live fleas (I could be wrong because the box is long gone, but I remeber being shocked about it). I am going to switch them back to Advantage even if I have to stop at 15 vet offices to find it.

I've never seen/heard of Vectra, but I'll ask around.
#11 of 23 Old 09-03-2008, 02:20 AM

Capstar is great for killing off existing flea infestations. It's good to use in conjuntion with frontline or advantage. It is not long lasting however. It is a pill
There is also a new flea medicine that works for a month, it's a pill called Comfortis. I have heard it works well but I have not tried it on my pets yet You get it at your vet's office.
http://www.comfortis4dogs.com/

Julie, wife and mother. I love my little ones: DS ::Corbin Randall---6/06 and DD :Morgan Reese 12/08.
#12 of 23 Old 09-03-2008, 02:33 AM

I had a flea problem with my cats and tried frontline and advantage to no long term effect, even thought I was vacuuming daily, using sticky lights, powdering the carpets, etc. I finally got some Revolution and it got the fleas and the ear mites. I really didn't want to do it because of the possible side effects, but I was at my wit's end over the damn fleas on 4 INDOOR only cats.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#13 of 23 Old 09-03-2008, 10:57 AM

OP, your post is very telling in that I am guessing you aren't getting the frontline on the skin, which is the only way it will work. Can you shave the spot between her shoulder blades to get it on there?

The other thing is, even if you are seeing live fleas, that doesn't mean it's not working. You will still see some live fleas, probably hitching a ride from outside, on the dog. But as soon as they are on the dog, they are as good as dead. It does take a couple of days, though.

By all means consider another product if you wish, but I really think you need to make sure the dog is groomed, head to toe, and if that is not possible, then shave the spot between the dog's shoulder blades to ensure contact with the skin. It just won't work, otherwise.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#14 of 23 Old 09-03-2008, 11:33 AM

personally, we've always had way better results with advantage. I bought frontline for everyone a month ago and within two weeks the fleas were back. Shelled out money I don't have for advantage for everyone and so far the fleas have stayed away (going on two weeks now).

We live in an area where flea prevention is an almost year round requirement. We can sometimes skip in the winter if it gets really cold, but not for very long.

~Julia
#15 of 23 Old 09-03-2008, 12:21 PM

We switched from Frontline to Advantage last year and it definitely seems to work better. Haven't seen a single flea since, actually.
#16 of 23 Old 09-04-2008, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Well like the PP I switched my cats from Advantage to Frontline and then we got fleas.

Yesterday I went out and bought Advantage for everyone, even though I have like 3 tubes of Frontline left. My vet doesn't have Vectra 3D, I asked.

What exactly do you mean "groomed head to toe" She gets brushed every day or two! I am NOT going to go through the whole friggin shaving thing again. NEVER. Double coated dogs are not meant to have haircuts. I shaved her with no guard on the clippers, as short as it can get, last spring, she looked ugly for months and there are still 3 big patches on her back that are not grown back. AS I said I apply the meds as close to the skin as possible in the already-shaved areas. Unless I take a razor to her, it doesn't get any shorter. I was hoping someone would have a suggestion for another style of medication. Instead of getting suggestions, some people on here insist that I'm too dumb to know how to apply flea medication that I've been using for years.

Actually, the skin shows plenty on her belly . . . maybe I'll just apply in an armpit or something. The only real reason for applying on the shoulder blades is to keep the dog from licking it off.
#17 of 23 Old 09-04-2008, 02:32 PM

One application thing we've started doing is putting 1/2 between the shoulder blades and 1/2 above the tail. For some reason, that seems to help.

But mostly I just think Advantage is better.
#18 of 23 Old 09-04-2008, 07:02 PM

I mean groomed head to toe so that any place on her body, you could part the hair and see skin. That is how she should be groomed. The frontline (or any spot-on) won't work unless it is all absorbed into the skin.

#19 of 23 Old 09-05-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom0810 View Post
I mean groomed head to toe so that any place on her body, you could part the hair and see skin. That is how she should be groomed. The frontline (or any spot-on) won't work unless it is all absorbed into the skin.
Huh. I have a double coated dog, and even if he has just been professionally groomed, you can't do this. It's not possible.
#20 of 23 Old 09-05-2008, 11:52 AM

Oh yes it is! It is very possible and necessary. I have a show double coated dogs in many breeds and have groomed everything. Everything. To properly groom a double coated (or any) dog, you need to be able to get down to the skin. A lot of times even professional groomers don't do this because it IS impossible to get a matted dog with thick double coat to this stage in an hour, or even three or five... and still get other dogs done that day.

To do it right, you need to line brush and then line COMB, first with a wide toothed and then a FINE toothed comb to get all the hair out.

Very possible. Very necessary. Hardly ever done properly.

#21 of 23 Old 09-05-2008, 12:11 PM

Whatever. I am not going to argue with you about it. And there is no way I am putting my ASD through that. His coat is fine.
#22 of 23 Old 09-05-2008, 01:35 PM

Frontline hasn't worked AT ALL this year for me.

I have a 16 pound Boston Terrier, so I KNOW the medicine went directly on her skin.

Still she has fleas.

I don't know if it's some weird biochemistry of particular dogs, or fleas in certain areas ARE evolving, or what.

But I do know frontline IS NOT working for us.

There is a crack in everything...that's how the light gets in.
~Leonard Cohen~
#23 of 23 Old 09-05-2008, 02:14 PM

Frontline was not working for us as well. We have lived in the same house for 10 years and never had a flea problem until we got our male puppy in May. He brought some fleas with him from Texas. The breeder said she hadnt had a problem in a number of years until this year and that frontline wasnt working. She was told by her vet that the formula was changed. She got something from Australia (not sure of the name) and that has worked. We have since switched to Advantix and while we still see fleas (jumping on from the yard) its no where near as bad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page